Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of don't like character sheets for this reason. I will have a specific vision for a character, but it can be hard to fully describe it without really diving into the character's headspace, which the actual story writing allows me to do. It makes the characters in my sheets appear more shallow and one-dimensional than they actually are.

I use them to make sure people understand setting and plot mostly. It’s usually easy to tell the difference between someone who has put no thought into their character and someone who just isn’t good at CS.

It’s actually the backstory that is the most important part. If you can manage to make that seem well thought out the personality is less important.

I use them to make sure people understand setting and plot mostly. It’s usually easy to tell the difference between someone who has put no thought into their character and someone who just isn’t good at CS.

It’s actually the backstory that is the most important part. If you can manage to make that seem well thought out the personality is less important.
RP's that require super detailed character sheets have kind of been a turn-off for me. It's definitely one way to dissuade me from joining. When I make my own group RP's (which is not often) then I keep sheets pretty basic. Rarely will I ask for more beyond the basic information like name, age, etc. and then a brief description of the personality and backstory.

RP's that require super detailed character sheets have kind of been a turn-off for me. It's definitely one way to dissuade me from joining. When I make my own group RP's (which is not often) then I keep sheets pretty basic. Rarely will I ask for more beyond the basic information like name, age, etc. and then a brief description of the personality and backstory.

Lol that’s exactly what I do. I call it a modified elevator pitch. Essentially the basic info for the plot (name, age, gender, power, faceclaim, etc.)

But the bulk of the character sheet is just a paragraph or two background. I don’t distinguish between personality and backstory. I just want you to describe the character like your in an elevator and your pitching a new character.

It’s by far the most helpful use of a character sheet. As the whole point is just a quick pitch to make sure the character fits the setting and plot.

My settings are also usually pretty in-depth and it’s better to catch any misunderstandings in a pitch then get to the posting stage and realize my partner has no idea what’s going on.

Person interested in coming up with a roleplay.
Me: Awesome let's plot together.
Person sends a message of some ideas.
Me: Cool. I was thinking about, etc etc
Person doesn't respond back.
Me: *Waits patiently, they're probably busy*

A week goes by. Sends a polite message with no response back. Cool, time to move on.

*A year later*

Person: Oh I like those ideas!!!

Me: :dead::dead:

Mfs trying to make the RP about them

Like boy you got main character syndrome?

Oh my god I hate that
Tbh I think this comes from some people thinking of forum RP like single player RPGs too much. Really they should think of it as something more akin to TTRPG. Of course, still not an exact analogy but it has the idea of there being "multiple" MCs instead of the one.

But yeah, I have run into many people who could stand to learn how to share the RP spotlight.

Tbh I think this comes from some people thinking of forum RP like single player RPGs too much. Really they should think of it as something more akin to TTRPG. Of course, still not an exact analogy but it has the idea of there being "multiple" MCs instead of the one.

But yeah, I have run into many people who could stand to learn how to share the RP spotlight.
(this was discord before I knew this site existed)

So me and a friend group were doing an RP that involved doing quests basically

Me: Goes to somewhere and does something

‘friend’: But let’s just say you didn’t do that

Me: What?

‘Friend’: that’s dumb and I want to do it first

He also tried to take control of the RP but can’t exactly remember what he said since it was so often

Marka banned him from the server and we never talked again

This person wanting to make a variant of a canon character whose banned because of how op said canon is.

<time of original post>
Last edited: <several minutes after time of original post>

Okay, I'm guilty as charged for this one. For whatever reasons, I tend to feel something must be missing in mere minutes after I post an IC response. That's why I often try to do quick edits before anyone can read my OG post, sometimes even more than once.

Is this anyone's pet peeve, by the way? Or anybody does it too?

<time of original post>

Okay, I'm guilty as charged for this one. For whatever reasons, I tend to feel something must be missing in mere minutes after I post an IC response. That's why I often try to do quick edits before anyone can read my OG post, sometimes even more than once.

Ohh yeah I definitely do this XD
I don't think I've heard of it being anyone's pet peeve though.

<time of original post>

Haha yes I’ve done that plenty of times

Reminds me of one girl who was like very nearly a professional right wing troll who went on these creepy rants about how trump was right and Voldemort wasn’t the villain and like liberals deserve to suffer.

Like look lady I just wanted to talk about how bullshit the teaching methods at Hogwarts are. You made it weird.

I think there is a certain kind of edgelord troll who just wants to upset other people for no other reason then it gives them a sense of power.

If someone feels the need to rant about religion or “woke SJWs” Im usually like “welp thanks for giving me a chance to use the block button. Do not contact me again.”

You really shouldn't do a "call out" in a public thread. It's really rude to people uninvolved and something that should be handled in DMs.

Otherwise it looks like you just want to start drama and purposely derailing someone's thread and topic which is very disrespectful.

Back on point with the thread before it gets derailed:

I hate when people make grand assumptions about my character. From deciding they are reckless, to deciding how they would react in a given situation.

No, you don't get to decide whether or not your character would be loved by mine... Or mine's family for that matter. Just because ya want my character to feel a certain way about yours doesn't mean they will.

I didn't intend a call out, I wasn't going to name names--but what do you say when the person quotes you and asks about it?

You... take it to dms? XD LOL

Anyway, one of my pet peeves that I have had the pleasure of not dealing with for a long time is when a person who makes a Fandom RP, or better yet makes a Discord server as an RP hub, hates the fandom they are being the host/gm for... XD like.... why make it in the first place if you hate it? XD

Well, that just.... happened. Goodness.

Clinginess/Creepiness. Really borderline if not way over the line creepy. A partner wants to get to know their partner, be friends outside of the roleplay. Then gradually they want to know when you're online, what your schedule is like, who else you are writing with. Let's not forget they contact people you are writing with to also write with them and low-key ask questions about you, have public meltdowns, quit, and come back to try to be someone else to attempt the cycle again. Dude....

You... take it to dms? XD LOL

Anyway, one of my pet peeves that I have had the pleasure of not dealing with for a long time is when a person who makes a Fandom RP, or better yet makes a Discord server as an RP hub, hates the fandom they are being the host/gm for... XD like.... why make it in the first place if you hate it? XD

Similar when people are like “I want to do this roleplay about a series I have never seen.”

Can’t tell you how many times that came up with CW shows. It would be blatantly obvious the person maybe saw a trailer or a single episode. But they didn’t know character personality, storylines, even power sets.

Like why bother to ask if you aren’t familiar with the source material? Especially if you can’t be bothered to read the wiki or ask someone who has seen the show to clue you in.

Like it totally baffles me.

Similar when people are like “I want to do this roleplay about a series I have never seen.”
That always puzzled me lol but I imagine it's just they started watching a show and loved it from episode 1. Which is cool when it happens but I think a bit too early to roleplay 😅

That always puzzled me lol but I imagine it's just they started watching a show and loved it from episode 1. Which is cool when it happens but I think a bit too early to roleplay 😅

Lol yeah I’m too spoiler paranoid to try to roleplay before I have at least a full season of information. Unless it’s just “oh I like that theme so I’ll use it.” But I wouldn’t roleplay the fandom itself without at least a season of knowledge.

Can’t tell you how many times that came up with CW shows. It would be blatantly obvious the person maybe saw a trailer or a single episode. But they didn’t know character personality, storylines, even power sets.

Like why bother to ask if you aren’t familiar with the source material? Especially if you can’t be bothered to read the wiki or ask someone who has seen the show to clue you in.

Like it totally baffles me.
I've seen this quite a bit with Star Wars, especially with Poe Dameron most recently. I believe this is because Oscar Isaac is playing Moon Knight in the show of the same name, which has boosted the actor's popularity. People who were fans of his performance there were most likely also interested in the characters and roles he played in other films and shows.

But it definitely has to do with individual characters as well. Even if people aren't fans of the actor, they might've seen compilations of a character from the source material (like on TikTok or YouTube) and wanted a roleplay with that character, despite knowing very little of the setting itself.

As for using the setting but not any of the characters... I can see liking the idea of a setting and wanting to use it in a roleplay? But I'm not sure why you'd directly throw your character into a backdrop you don't know anything about.

On this addition of this thread, I am here to discuss what is making me angry today.

People who wanna plot something with you and dm you, but when they find out you only RP one fandom (like me) they tell you that liking one fandom is bad. Ok... lol.

When you ask a few different questions, and just get a one word response.

Question: "So do you think we should start from point a or point b? And how do you think our characters should meet, like if they should meet here or do you think they should meet there?"
Partner: Alright!

It's worse when you ask the same question again for clarification and they just go "hmmmm..." like, I'm sorry, were you expecting me to choose or something? Then just say so please! No need to make things so difficult. (Also one word replies in general are very off-putting, I tend to just drop on the spot when that happens);;;

On this addition of this thread, I am here to discuss what is making me angry today.

People who wanna plot something with you and dm you, but when they find out you only RP one fandom (like me) they tell you that liking one fandom is bad. Ok... lol.
That’s the most ridiculous thing I heard who gives the person the right to tell you how many x amount of fandoms you like. This person needs to eff off with that

Writing down an idea then halfway through forgetting what you had in mind for the idea 🤣🤣🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back