Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's been posted before but that person who replies to your interest check just to tell you they can't do what you've asked for...then why are you responding? Like for example say you're looking for a male character to play against and they come to you with "I'm not good at playing male characters but I can play a female for you"...why would you do that? Why?

And you know I wouldn't mind it if you PM'd me for something separate from my interest check to ask me things like this...but when you are specifically answering my interest check...why?
The only reason I could possibly see for someone to do that is if it's a situation where they really like a plot / scenario you listed, but can't play the gender you're looking for. But even then, they should be making that clear and willing to forgo romance or such for the sake of the gender change if that was the reason you have a required gender.

The only reason I could possibly see for someone to do that is if it's a situation where they really like a plot / scenario you listed, but can't play the gender you're looking for. But even then, they should be making that clear and willing to forgo romance or such for the sake of the gender change if that was the reason you have a required gender.
I mean gender was just an example all my characters are bi so this wouldn't actually be an issue, but my point is people answering your interest check, in general, to tell you they can't do what you asked for or want to do something you didn't ask for whatsoever like wanting to do cyberpunk when you asked for high fantasy.

I mean gender was just an example all my characters are bi so this wouldn't actually be an issue, but my point is people answering your interest check, in general, to tell you they can't do what you asked for or want to do something you didn't ask for whatsoever like wanting to do cyberpunk when you asked for high fantasy.
Okay, yeah, going against it like that is just ridiculous, to put it nicely. It baffles me that anyone would look at an interest check and ignore what interests are listed.

Okay, yeah, going against it like that is just ridiculous, to put it nicely. It baffles me that anyone would look at an interest check and ignore what interests are listed.
Oh they do, they do a lot. This is why I wish RPN had kept the feature where the type of RP you like is tagged on your profile that way if people couldn't find an interest check they liked they could at least find people who are interested in the same type of RP as them.

Gee Louis I'm sorry my forest witch isn't romantically interested in your serial killer teenage girl
If only I didn't already specify she's straight, 24, AND YOUR SERIAL DIDN'T KILL ALL FIVE PEOPLE SHE HAS A CRUSH ON

Yes, fine, she was 17 and we can say that her birthday just passed and she's 18 now, but if you expect a character whose internal dialogue repeatedly has her imagining romantic scenarios and swooning over men to fall in love with a female serial killer,

YOU DONT GET TO BE MAD AT ME WHEN I WRITE SHE HATES THE SERIAL KILLER

Last edited:
Gee Louis I'm sorry my forest witch isn't romantically interested in your serial killer teenage girl
If only I didn't already specify she's straight, 24, AND YOUR SERIAL DIDN'T KILL ALL FIVE PEOPLE SHE HAS A CRUSH ON

Yes, fine, she was 17 and we can say that her birthday just passed and she's 18 now, but if you expect a character whose internal dialogue repeatedly has her imagining romantic scenarios and swooning over men to fall in love with a female serial killer,

YOU DONT GET TO BE MAD AT ME WHEN I WRITE SHE HATES THE SERIAL KILLER

I mean sometimes people are fluid in their sexuality. This is usually down to a difference in sexual and romantic spectrum. You can be romantic interested in someone and not want to fuck them (and vice versa).

I’m aro/ace so that’s something that bothers me, when people act like you have to want to fuck every single person you are romantically interested in.

That said back to your actual point ::: This person clearly doesn’t realize they are playing an antagonist. Like I have played serial killers but usually but if someone was like “yeah no my character would run screaming in the opposite direction.” I’d be like “ sure thing, but fair warning there is a non zero chance my character will try to murder yours.”

Which is why I rarely play serial killers. Cuz folks don’t like it when there is a strong possibility of their character dying.

I mean sometimes people are fluid in their sexuality. This is usually down to a difference in sexual and romantic spectrum. You can be romantic interested in someone and not want to fuck them (and vice versa).

I’m aro/ace so that’s something that bothers me, when people act like you have to want to fuck every single person you are romantically interested in.

That said back to your actual point ::: This person clearly doesn’t realize they are playing an antagonist. Like I have played serial killers but usually but if someone was like “yeah no my character would run screaming in the opposite direction.” I’d be like “ sure thing, but fair warning there is a non zero chance my character will try to murder yours.”

Which is why I rarely play serial killers. Cuz folks don’t like it when there is a strong possibility of their character dying.
I agree, though in my case it's pretty obvious what kind of character I'm aiming for (the rp is anime-heavy and I'm leaning hard into a kind of trope) which is why I'm very pissed at what happened

We end up retconning the murder tho so it's all fine now

No cap. Everytime I get a good thing going, roleplayin' and shit and all that. I get into a good groove, I get into shit I'm excited for, hell I'm not even a month into feeling happy about rping, and then life happens and I stop for a year. Literally I was on hiatus for god knows how long, just got back in the beginning of January, and now I found out I have black mold in my house so I'm stuck in a hotel. What the actual fuck.

Minors that feel the need to tell me that they're grounded and then wonder why I'm not roleplaying with them...dude I'm not about to undermine your parents and it is not my job to parent you and stuff like this is probably why you're grounded in the first place.

Last edited:
Coming back after a hiatus with no active role plays, so now I have the bug to role play and have some ideas out there in the water waiting for a bite, but I sort of just have to sit here hoping to see that little red notification icon. Lol.

Coming up with better ideas after the roleplay has begun and the stories are in full swing.

Like... brain, where was this superior plot/character idea weeks ago, and why are you just telling me now, at 3am?

Coming up with better ideas after the roleplay has begun and the stories are in full swing.

Like... brain, where was this superior plot/character idea weeks ago, and why are you just telling me now, at 3am?
OMG yes! You will not believe how many times this has happened to me!

Also to add to this when you're craving a certain type of RP and you plot it out and the right we're you're about to start you get this great RP idea that completely kills your interest in the one you were about to do, but you don't want to be a dick and not start because you and your partner spent time making this story.

That is a mood. It always happens when I promise myself that I will put a hard cap on how many RPs I handle at once. Then I start to secretly hope one of my current rps will burn out so I can start a new one.

What I’m having a problem with is having really weird rp cravings that literally no one is interested in. I can try to cut out parts and make it fit what my partner(s) want, but it’s never as satisfying.

What I’m having a problem with is having really weird rp cravings that literally no one is interested in. I can try to cut out parts and make it fit what my partner(s) want, but it’s never as satisfying.
I feel you on this like I have a craving to do a crossover between two fandoms that Inlike, they're both popular but I guess the fandoms don't really overlap because absolutely no one seems to want to do it and I'm not mad at other people for not wanting to do it...but I just kind o wish there was one person as weird as I am that wants to do it.

Not entirely the same as above, but I empathize. I've amassed a collection of characters made for RPs that never got off the ground and I'm dying to use them. However it seems like the genre of RP they were made for isn't very popular at the moment or they just don't quite fit in for those that do. I'm reluctant to make anymore new characters having put all this effort into my previous ones.

Not entirely the same as above, but I empathize. I've amassed a collection of characters made for RPs that never got off the ground and I'm dying to use them. However it seems like the genre of RP they were made for isn't very popular at the moment or they just don't quite fit in for those that do. I'm reluctant to make anymore new characters having put all this effort into my previous ones.
This too, I have a specific character I've been dying to use but it seems like every roleplay end up using them in ends up dying very quickly before I can really do anything with them.

When my partner goes "my way or the highway" on me >.<

It's super annoying, especially since this is supposed to be a collaborative effort. But I have had several people who have written with me before basically try to make me fully submit to whatever they have in mind and they always chafe at the idea of me putting any of my own touches on anything. Worse, these people tend to be the ones that wax on about how I am the one who is lacking in communication when they literally refuse to listen to anything I have to say.

It really ruins the vibe. And I only made the mistake of starting an RP with people like that twice and now I dip the moment the initial discussion feels way too onesided.

I am usually a pretty chill person, I like to think. I like my partners to have fun and I am usually a-ok with meeting what they want, but when the RP feels like it is all give on my end it really starts to get old.

This too, I have a specific character I've been dying to use but it seems like every roleplay end up using them in ends up dying very quickly before I can really do anything with them.
This exactly. I do have one character (in addition to a scenario) that I would absolutely love to use but when the chance comes up it usually dies very quickly. Its been in my head for years at this point and I'm quite certain the time will never come :(

Okay so this was on a discord a few years back....here's some details about me though before I tell this story;

1. I'm a cis-gender man, who isn't in the lgbtq community but supports them.
2. I do have some characters that are gay, but mostly I write M/F stuff because I myself is straight and more familiar with it but writing other romances don't really matter to me, which includes M/M.

So I used to roleplay on discord until something very interesting happened, me and this other dude, (I was 20 at the time.) were doing a story that was strictly platonic and had a deeper meaning about freindship, and the character I was using was heterosexual to and his was a dude and also gay.

So anyways he tried to do some erotic role play with me, and I don't do that crap because it's so fucking creepy on a whole different level. I told him to stop and then.....HE GOT MAD AT ME....he called me homophobic for not letting his character and mine do a erotic scene, that made me highly uncomfortable and that my character was straight and the whole point of the story was to stay platonic and remain friends with no romance. I thought I was being an asshole but I remembered that I didn't even do anything but tell him to stop from doing something that was almost illegal. Like what the hell did I do but say,'Stop.'

Like what the fuck dude? Control yourself. And this is one if the main reasons I stopped from using discord, It just bring backs toxic memories.

Edit:
I know that everyone isn't like this but this certain experience and a bunch of controversy over the people who run discord it's self is very suspicious to me in a whole, and I know that its not that descriptive but it was two years ago and I didn't think of it much, all I thought how it was just a creepy guy trying to do smut with someone who strictly doesn't want to relate to that at all. The whole point of the roleplay was to show acceptance and more of a brotherhood between two friends. Well that's what I thought it was until he had to do that and here we are.

Last edited:
R U S T R U S T Im starting to think we socialize men wrong. Cuz that kinda stuff happens with straight men too.

I think it’s cuz women are taught to internalize blame. If someone isn’t sexually attracted to us it’s because WE did something wrong.

Men are taught the opposite. If someone isn’t sexually attracted to them it’s THAT PERSON’s fault.

There are the rare outliers, I did have a woman do something similar. But that was literally one example to the half a dozen I have heard of men.

The good news for all of us is that statistically women roleplay WAY more then men. So such situations are by their nature fairly rare. Just cuz not that many men roleplay to start with, and the majority who do are fine.

oh something that I remembered recently, the weird purity bias people have with relationships.

I used to think it was bi phobia (since it usually came up when I had male characters who had past relationship with men) but I started to notice that the exact same issue comes up with male characters who had past relationships with women.

the past relationships have to be treated like terrible sluts in order to justify the current female love interest being picked.

And it’s just kinda weird that there is this ongoing mentality that The One Pure Woman is the only one who is worthy of being in a relationship with the male love interest.

it would almost make since if the woman was supposed to be wildly insecure (cuz it could be a unreliable narrative thing) but no the woman characters have all kinds of personalities.

it’s more like the writer is insecure and doesn’t want their fictional character to have any fictional competition for the fictional man’s attention.

R U S T R U S T Im starting to think we socialize men wrong. Cuz that kinda stuff happens with straight men too.

I think it’s cuz women are taught to internalize blame. If someone isn’t sexually attracted to us it’s because WE did something wrong.

Men are taught the opposite. If someone isn’t sexually attracted to them it’s THAT PERSON’s fault.

There are the rare outliers, I did have a woman do something similar. But that was literally one example to the half a dozen I have heard of men.

The good news for all of us is that statistically women roleplay WAY more then men. So such situations are by their nature fairly rare. Just cuz not that many men roleplay to start with, and the majority who do are fine.
Agreed. I’m glad my dad and mother taught me the opposite.

oh something that I remembered recently, the weird purity bias people have with relationships.

I used to think it was bi phobia (since it usually came up when I had male characters who had past relationship with men) but I started to notice that the exact same issue comes up with male characters who had past relationships with women.

the past relationships have to be treated like terrible sluts in order to justify the current female love interest being picked.

And it’s just kinda weird that there is this ongoing mentality that The One Pure Woman is the only one who is worthy of being in a relationship with the male love interest.

it would almost make since if the woman was supposed to be wildly insecure (cuz it could be a unreliable narrative thing) but no the woman characters have all kinds of personalities.

it’s more like the writer is insecure and doesn’t want their fictional character to have any fictional competition for the fictional man’s attention.

I noticed this in a few romance RPs I joined. Not necessarily that it was shamed per say, just that there was a general lack of previous relationships regardless of how old the character was or their personality/tendency to jump into relationships. The lack of meaningful relationships sort of confused me, since I think that previous relationship experience would be an interesting way to explore how characters react to their current one or how influenced their perspectives on the nature of love. And also, how does a character treat/think of their past partners? Do they still have amicable relationships with them, do they have a trend of getting into relationships with people who hurt them or who they've wanted to 'save', etc....I just feel like that's sort of an interesting area to explore and has the potential to really flesh out a character's personality and history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back