Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this went places, lol!

Alright guys, let's quit this. If you want to continue, take it to PMs, and remember to remain civil.

2 pages of derailing is too much.
Yeah sorry… I feel entirely responsible since my sharing of a peeve caused all of this… maybe I should have just not said anything

A peeve I do have is when people say “I’m open to anything” and then when you send an idea “oh I actually had a different idea in mind.”

like … well gosh why don’t you just post your idea then?

When I post something saying that there will be heavy lore and then people get upset when there is a lot I reading involved...what did you think that I meant?

People who want descriptive partners but aren't descriptive themselves.

People who want you to have "Perfect Grammar" but don't have it themselves.

People who want descriptive partners but aren't descriptive themselves.

People who want you to have "Perfect Grammar" but don't have it themselves.
I had a partner that jumped on me about typos and then used the phrase more better unironically 3 times to insult me.

I kind of doesn't like specific pairings in original RP.

Like royal x bodyguard
Bandit x Knight etc.

Make no mistake I don't take issue with the pairing types themselves I just don't like when I'm told to choose a specific one right off the bat instead of it just happening.

I kind of doesn't like specific pairings in original RP.

Like royal x bodyguard
Bandit x Knight etc.

Make no mistake I don't take issue with the pairing types themselves I just don't like when I'm told to choose a specific one right off the bat instead of it just happening.
Yep, and a LOT of people mistake pairings or dynamics for plots. It can easily be the central element of one, sure, but just "genderfluid cyberpunk ninja weredonkey × Draco Malfoy's left eyeball" isn't a plot by any definition. And it feels like every single person who lists preferred pairings has the exact same ones, too (unless they're listing canon characters from fandoms). Sure, I could boil down some of my RPs to a pairing, but the pairing is not what defines the whole thing.

Personally I'm stuck in a weird place where I want a decent plot idea right from the start but I'm generally not great at pulling one out of my arse when I decide to. My brain's just not always co-operative in that department and I'm sure it can come across as lack of interest or enthusiasm even though I am indeed trying. I can only hope it'll get better with practice, I'm still pretty new to RPing.

1.) When everyone is looking for an age limit of 18+ either because that's their age and they're uncomfortable with minors, or because they are expecting something more than a fluffy romance. It's so difficult to find people close to my age and almost everyone is at least 18 or older.

2.) When I have rules and they're completely ignored

3.) I expect at least 10+ lines which are at least two paragraphs cause I want to roleplay with someone who is at least literate, but people ignore this and so I would have people who are illiterate or semi-literate receiving 1-3 lines when I'm trying to improve my literacy.

4.) It's also frustrating as soon as you start a roleplay after spending hours or even a few days developing a plot, the person you're looking forward to roleplay with just ghosts you for an unknown reason. This happened to me and they left the chat in one of my roleplays for amino. I sent a starter and they leave the next day, but I don't know why. Don't start a roleplay with me if you're just gonna leave!

5.) I love romance, absolutely, but I like taking things slow. When a person tries to rush things it's a bit annoying and it's worse when they're trying to go into levels that you're uncomfortable with. I also hate it when people play overly shy characters who also act all cute. It doesn't bring character to them and it makes the roleplay boring. On top of that, I just can't stand it when people are overpowered. They act all shy then suddenly they go into action and defeat the character within one move. It's annoying as hell.

LGBT requests threads that go out of their way to insult heterosexuals...like really? You couldn't express your desire for an mxm or fxf without insulting mxf in the process?

Then I get the weird ones like the "I won't RP with any males that are romantically interested in or attracted to women" like I'm not one to force people into situations they are uncomfortable with but...why is their irl sexual/romantic preferences any of your business? Why is their IRL gender any of your business? You don't think you're prying a little too much with that one? You don't think you're making them uncomfortable at that point? Because there is no possible way you can make sure this requirement is upheld unless you straight up ask them about it. Also, let us not pretend like men are the only ones who are creepy during RP, I've met my fair share on both sides.

Last edited:
Wandering Fae Wandering Fae i guess the one benefit is at least you know to nope out right away. It’s kinda creepier when people assume your both doing some IRL fetish thing halfway through a roleplay without talking to you about it.

I had a girl who applied for a kinda silly sailor moon knock off who straight up came in with her IRL kink and then got pissy when I was like “um no”. Where she straight up said I had wasted her time …

So I think I would have preferred her to just be like “yo I want to do this kink. Ya in or out?” Cuz at least then I would have been able to block immediately and not wasted my own time.

I tried to plot with others in this rp I am offsite in don’t know if it’s me at this point.. trying to get anyone interested has been unsuccessful though I’ve seen others get tagged. I tried several times in the discord’s plotting channel no luck. Maybe it’s time to leave and honestly my muse for that rp has died. Plus I only rp with one person.

Set up a kinda forum game rp on a different site where it's OCs just using a chatroom. Ya know, just a simple thing for having conversations as our OCs to flex those writing muscles and also get to rp without worrying about figuring out a plot and whatnot.

Over half the people who "interact" in the thread are ignoring previous messages and conversation books to either just say "hiii :D" or start their own conversation.

One of the people that initiated a conversation actually killed it in the same response by having their character leave immediately, while another person keeps posting "..." with nothing else.

I've basically abandoned the thread at this point.

Set up a kinda forum game rp on a different site where it's OCs just using a chatroom. Ya know, just a simple thing for having conversations as our OCs to flex those writing muscles and also get to rp without worrying about figuring out a plot and whatnot.

Over half the people who "interact" in the thread are ignoring previous messages and conversation books to either just say "hiii :D" or start their own conversation.

One of the people that initiated a conversation actually killed it in the same response by having their character leave immediately, while another person keeps posting "..." with nothing else.

I've basically abandoned the thread at this point.

So next time I would try having thread games and ice breakers to keep things on track.

On a previous site we would have gif interviews, valentine ship contests, etc.

Or just kinda have writing questions to get people started. Kinda like a Twitter thread I guess?

Like hey guys if we were all on a deserted island who would bring what supplies?

It would need a mod of some sort to host the icebreakers/games but it might help keep people on track.

Cuz if sounds kinda like the chat equivalent of when a roleplay stalls out on an introduction cuz no one has any direction on what to do next.

(lol as mentioned in a previous thread, this was literally my job as a Co-Mod back in my groups days. Coming up with organizational tactics to keep people on task.)

LGTBT requests threads that go out of their way to insult heterosexuals...like really? You couldn't express your desire for an mxm or fxf without insulting mxf in the process?

Then I get the weird ones like the "I won't RP with any males that are romantically interested in or attracted to women" like I'm not one to force people into situations they are uncomfortable with but...why is their irl sexual/romantic preferences any of your business? Why is their IRL gender any of your business? You don't think you're prying a little too much with that one? You don't think you're making them uncomfortable at that point? Because there is no possible way you can make sure this requirement is upheld unless you straight up ask them about it. Also, let us not pretend like men are the only ones who are creepy during RP, I've met my fair share on both sides.
I'm actually shocked there are people that act like that.... like... insult people? Wow it sucks you've had to deal with that kinda stuff

Actually the asking IRL gender and sexuality reminds me of a girl who used to get stalked across multiple accounts by some toxic asshole who thought they were “dating.”

Im lucky that I apparently give off vicious bitch vibes or sound like a dude. Whatever the case creepy guys don’t really bother me that much online.

But I had friends who would refuse to write with cishet straight dudes because they had been targeted by creepy assholes (or they had insecure boyfriends IRL who didn’t want them talking to other cishet dudes).

Although in fairness I do get creeped out when people are looking for specific genders rather then banning them.

So like if you only want to write with cishet dudes that seems like you think this is a dating site. If you refuse to roleplay with cishet men then it seems like you had to take drastic measures to get away from a creep.

Which is kinda interesting, hadn’t really though of that before.

Actually the asking IRL gender and sexuality reminds me of a girl who used to get stalked across multiple accounts by some toxic asshole who thought they were “dating.”

Im lucky that I apparently give off vicious bitch vibes or sound like a dude. Whatever the case creepy guys don’t really bother me that much online.

But I had friends who would refuse to write with cishet straight dudes because they had been targeted by creepy assholes (or they had insecure boyfriends IRL who didn’t want them talking to other cishet dudes).

Although in fairness I do get creeped out when people are looking for specific genders rather then banning them.

So like if you only want to write with cishet dudes that seems like you think this is a dating site. If you refuse to roleplay with cishet men then it seems like you had to take drastic measures to get away from a creep.

Which is kinda interesting, hadn’t really though of that before.
Like I can understand having a bad experience but I think when you start asking what I consider to be way too personal questions that's when you start become creepy too. You don't need to know my irl gender or sexuality unless I offer that info up.

Also in my experience refusing to rp with a cishet dude doesn't always mean you had to take drastic measures to escape one, as my first comment pointed out sometimes it's just straight-up misandry or cishet hate.

Unfortunately, the first time I ran into this I gave them the benefit of the doubt and overlooked the insulting comment they made about cishet relationships when making their request and took it as well maybe they just want to rp end LGBT+ relationship, which I figured cool all my characters are bi anyway and I had one that was gender fluid so it was no big deal for me to RP that...I was wrong, I should have probably figured something was wrong when their discord status was always some variation of "Down with the Straights" or something similar but I figured it must have just been satire...I was wrong, this person legitimately hated cishet people, especially men unfortunately a lot of people who do this kind of stuff that I've run into anyway it's mostly just being hateful I have run into exactly two people who did this because of a dead experience and while I feel for them I maintain that having knowing someone's IRL gender and sexuality as a requirement...is creepy.

Also to be quite frank the main people I run into being creepy in RP are surprisingly women, I'm not gonna say I haven't run into creepy dudes but I've run into a good deal more women being creepy and worst part about it, is the guys while creepy are at best at least to me annoying but most times if I block or ignore them long enough eventually they'll leave me alone...the women however, I don't know why but if you try to set any kind of boundary with them in my experience...they get hostile, the act like you literally spit in their face and will proceed to harass and try to start a war by lying on you to outside people.

So to be fair I have never run into any one who hates cishet people. I do HP roleplays though, so it's a point of pride in our fandom that we don't get into the TERFy nonsense. I mean I had a stepfather who was like that, he grew up in a racist white town and so had a real chip on his shoulder about white people. Which I mean fair enough, but your gonna live a pretty lonely life. Cuz 80% of the people around you are white and the other minorities aren't interested in ganging up on whitey with you.

So to me that seems like someone who has either a deeply personal issue they need to work out with a therapist OR they were a troll trying to pull a gotcha. Never underestimate how far internet assholes will go to pull the "your the real racist all along card." I legit had a woman stalk me into losing an account because she so desperately wanted to prove I was part of the "Intolerant Left" and a "Real Racist". Like okay Karen I'm a real racist and I hate white women. Now leave me alone please, I'm trying to enjoy my hobby in peace. I'm sure she framed the "I got a leftist to admit they're just as awful as we...wait." award in her house or something.

And yeah now that I think about it the troll behavior is predominately women. But so is roleplaying as a whole. So if you say "I won't roleplay with cishet women" then you might as well stop roleplaying all together. You're gonna get about ten partners max (not literally but it's going to vastly decrease your partner pool).

I do admit asking about sexuality is a problem. But honestly I just block. I don't get angry in the same way I don't get angry about people who want to join dating sites. It's not for me but it also doesn't affect me. If someone tried to pull it on me after the roleplay starts I just block them and move on. It's not even worth getting mad about. Cuz that person is just trying to get dates. It's creepy but that's solidly a them problem.

If you message me to ask whether I am going to reply literally 30 minutes after you send me a message, it makes me lose all interest in the role-play immediately. And I've had this happen many times... One of my biggest pet peeves is being badgered and harassed to reply to a role play or message cause it literally makes it feel more like a chore than something I do for fun. Even if I enjoyed what we had going, I will literally drop it right then and there once someone starts badgering me.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go insane if I don't spit this out.

I know everyone hates it when minors say this but-

WHEN PEOPLE DON'T PUT THEIR AGE REQUIREMENT AS ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS IN THEIR INTEREST CHECK

Like, thanks man. I really enjoyed reading all of your wonderful ideas before getting slapped in the face with that for the 500th time. I'm not even complaining about the limit, I'm complaining about the placement of it. Or when they hide it somewhere in their post (ex: not in the rules section, no bolded text) so then I feel guilty about PMing them.

I'm just tired of it almost never being at the forefront of their interest check. And yes, it does make it a little hard to find partners but I've learned to live with that, and I know it's for their comfort. Complaining about the limit itself would be like complaining about content warnings.

I really wish that there was some type of system where users are required to show their ages here. I’ve come across too many individuals lying about their ages in order to join rps that I’ve gmed or co-gmed. And I know that people can easily lie about their age but it makes me sad to think that there about people who don’t respect the boundaries of others.
I am, what I like to call, a mature minor. Most consider me over eighteen when they encounter me online, so much so that it's been a shock to some people to find out, hey, I'm actually a minor. I've gotten into the habit of putting it in any search thread I make, in bold, and then reiterating it in any message I send out, whether it's a response to my thread, or me interested in another, even if they say they're okay with minors. I'd hope more people do this than I can tell, as I haven't found anyone else out there yet. There most likely is though, and we just haven't met yet! Hopefully..

mediae mediae I think for me the biggest misconception of younger roleplayers is exactly what people pick up on when dealing with minors.

Basically it's about age bringing different perspective. If I were to ask you "is a four year old a child?" you would say absolutely. But at four years old you probably would have been very upset at that because you wanted to be seen as a big kid.

To be honest it kinda feels like that all the way up until you reach your late teens or twenties. The people below you are always going to think of themselves as much older and more mature then they are. Because they want to seem like big kids and the older people around them are like "no your children."

It's not meant to be an insult. Anymore then you would consider calling a four year old a kid to be an insult. It's because your old enough to know exactly how limited that four year olds understanding of the world is.

At about late teens to twenties you start getting that understanding of "oh actually yeah the people that are older then me are living very different lives and I actually am not the same as them. And honestly that's okay." Cuz trust me once you get a taste of what actual adulthood is like? It loses it's shiny appeal pretty damn fast.

So a lot of times how us older roleplayers figure out a minor is lying about their age is not "oh this person writes poorly or acts childish" it's just through casual conversations about life experience. Cus no disrespect but it's pretty obvious when I'm talking to teenager about stuff and when I'm talking to someone in their mid to late twenties.

mediae mediae I think for me the biggest misconception of younger roleplayers is exactly what people pick up on when dealing with minors.

Basically it's about age bringing different perspective. If I were to ask you "is a four year old a child?" you would say absolutely. But at four years old you probably would have been very upset at that because you wanted to be seen as a big kid.

To be honest it kinda feels like that all the way up until you reach your late teens or twenties. The people below you are always going to think of themselves as much older and more mature then they are. Because they want to seem like big kids and the older people around them are like "no your children."

It's not meant to be an insult. Anymore then you would consider calling a four year old a kid to be an insult. It's because your old enough to know exactly how limited that four year olds understanding of the world is.

At about late teens to twenties you start getting that understanding of "oh actually yeah the people that are older then me are living very different lives and I actually am not the same as them. And honestly that's okay." Cuz trust me once you get a taste of what actual adulthood is like? It loses it's shiny appeal pretty damn fast.

So a lot of times how us older roleplayers figure out a minor is lying about their age is not "oh this person writes poorly or acts childish" it's just through casual conversations about life experience. Cus no disrespect but it's pretty obvious when I'm talking to teenager about stuff and when I'm talking to someone in their mid to late twenties.
That's a very interesting point and perspective; well written! (:

To be honest it kinda feels like that all the way up until you reach your late teens or twenties.
Yeah at basically every point up to my early 20s I was convinced I was fully emotionally and intelectually developed and then life always proved me wrong. I'll be 30 this year and by now I'm not sure I'll ever be able to consider myself an actual adult, but that just might be the neurodivergent phobia of being fully in charge of my own life. People in their 50s STILL see me as a clueless child while actual children, teenagers and younger college students probably think I'm middle-aged, and I'm kinda scared of most people my own age because they remind me how much further I could've made it in life by this point if I sucked a little bit less.

In any case yeah, the preference not to RP with minors is (usually) not about some arbitrary "lol ur too small", it's about those age groups literally living in a different world and our life experiences not being very compatible (which theoretically doesn't matter when RPing, but...). I know full well how annoying the "you'll understand when you're older" line is, but there does seem to be some truth to it.

I'd just like to reiterate to all our <20 friends that no disrespect is meant, you'll be in your 20s before you know it and who knows, you might end up avoiding younger partners too when that happens. It all boils down to "learn each other's preferences and respect them without compromising your own", but I understand it can be annoying when someone who doesn't want to play with minors doesn't make it very clear right from the start.

i feel like i experience this the most with mcu plots, but i hate when people have "original characters" that are just a poor mimicry of canon characters from a different fandom. lately it seems to mostly be felicia hardy and harley quinn.. and then they say that they 'just took inspiration' as if it's not just the same person with a different name, tweaked in the slightest ways to fit into the mcu.
it happened with a supernatural roleplay as well just a couple months ago, this girl sent me her oc that was just like wanda maximoff, down to the elizabeth olsen face claim. isn't being original kind of the point when you're making an oc ? taking inspiration is an entirely different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back