Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish that there was some type of system where users are required to show their ages here. I’ve come across too many individuals lying about their ages in order to join rps that I’ve gmed or co-gmed. And I know that people can easily lie about their age but it makes me sad to think that there about people who don’t respect the boundaries of others.

I can't stand artist types running rps they turn trying to share any sort of picture into chore of having to track down ever source and it hard as hell for someone who can't do art I mean I get crediting but when you and others are going around flaunting your artistic talent and some people are forced to spend 10 minutes trying to track down the source for every single picture your using for an FC you start feeling like a second class citizen in an rp
Honestly, I don't get this sentiment, unless I'm trying to take credit for the art it should go without saying that it isn't mine. Don't get me wrong I'll credit an artist I've had partners make me pictures of my OC's and I'll credit them in heartbeat when I use them even though they've all told me I don't have to because it's my character. However, I personally don't see the point in crediting for every single little thing, I think credit is only really required if you're garnering some type of fame off it or profiting in some kind of way...not when you're literally more or less playing a game. If they're really interested in who the original artist is image search is a thing and they can do it their gosh dang selves.

hello! artist here who has had to make a living & pay bills and gas with what they make off of their art commissions. this is a personal pet peeve of mine that doesn't seem to be too popular, but i think that providing credit for art you use in roleplays should be the bare minimum. art isn't just some random thing that came into existence for your personal use, it's a talent that has years of practice poured into it, and artists usually do not make art of characters or their personal ocs for others to use as rp faceclaims. if anything, i find that taking someone's work and pulling it out of that context to use for your own ocs instead is just short of art theft. it's not your design nor is it your own specific original idea, y'know what i mean?
i think it should be way more socially encouraged and acceptable to commission artists. show that you appreciate their work (if you have the financial means, of course!) by monetarily supporting them and actually paying for art to use, especially because they can draw exactly what you want! otherwise, at least ask permission to use someone's art. it should be common courtesy, art is just as personal to it's creator as writing is, and you wouldn't just go and steal other people's chunks of writing without a word.
that's just my two cents!

hello! artist here who has had to make a living & pay bills and gas with what they make off of their art commissions. this is a personal pet peeve of mine that doesn't seem to be too popular, but i think that providing credit for art you use in roleplays should be the bare minimum. art isn't just some random thing that came into existence for your personal use, it's a talent that has years of practice poured into it, and artists usually do not make art of characters or their personal ocs for others to use as rp faceclaims. if anything, i find that taking someone's work and pulling it out of that context to use for your own ocs instead is just short of art theft. it's not your design nor is it your own specific original idea, y'know what i mean?
i think it should be way more socially encouraged and acceptable to commission artists. show that you appreciate their work (if you have the financial means, of course!) by monetarily supporting them and actually paying for art to use, especially because they can draw exactly what you want! otherwise, at least ask permission to use someone's art. it should be common courtesy, art is just as personal to it's creator as writing is, and you wouldn't just go and steal other people's chunks of writing without a word.
This entirely! Also, if you can't commission an artist there are plenty of other ways to make faceclaims for your characters, such as Picrews!

The bare minimum you can do is respect the artist and credit them when using their art so others can easily find them.

In reality, you shouldn't be using an artist's work for your faceclaim without their express permission, since most often it's their actual OC if it's not fandom content. As fellow OC creators you should understand how personal an OC is. Taking an artist's OC art to use for your own is the same as taking someone's OC backstory or personality and using it verbatim.

Its more the hostility when something crops up like... how these people react when you can't find it like you actually talked nicely there's other who rip your head off for it

Its more the hostility when something crops up like... how these people react when you can't find it like you actually talked nicely there's other who rip your head off for it
i'm a little confused by this point. i definitely agree, people shouldn't be super rude about it, but i also think the opinion that you should always put the effort into crediting any art you use isn't super controversial. if you can't find the credit, simply don't use it and find something else. what bastion said is very spot on:
In reality, you shouldn't be using an artist's work for your faceclaim without their express permission, since most often it's their actual OC if it's not fandom content. As fellow OC creators you should understand how personal an OC is. Taking an artist's OC art to use for your own is the same as taking someone's OC backstory or personality and using it verbatim.

and how is it inappropriate for them to provide resources for folks who can't/won't find credit for the art they use? these are actually great to provide so folks can find more options !

i'm a little confused by this point. i definitely agree, people shouldn't be super rude about it, but i also think the opinion that you should always put the effort into crediting any art you use isn't super controversial. if you can't find the credit, simply don't use it and find something else. what bastion said is very spot on:

and how is it inappropriate for them to provide resources for folks who can't/won't find credit for the art they use? these are actually great to provide so folks can find more options !
Ending point isn't the point of the thread nor is it appropriate as for crediting you'd be suprsied but its not commo practice to force people to do it and then be incredibly insulting and rude about it when you're unable to find it becuse shock horror some people aren't artist and work with finding images

Yeah no not really appropriate dude
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean these resources don't work for what you want for your characters. That's fine! Obviously they won't work for everyone.

If they don't work for you, then you can look for other options for free art. The links I gave were just a starting point.

The point is, you don't need to take art of someone else's OC to use for your own. Respect the artist. You wouldn't want someone taking your OC and playing them, would you? That's what it's like for an artist to see someone using their OC artwork like that.

Ending point isn't the point of the thread nor is it appropriate as for crediting you'd be suprsied but its not commo practice to force people to do it and then be incredibly insulting and rude about it when you're unable to find it becuse shock horror some people aren't artist and work with finding images
once again, i'm not really understanding your point; i disagree that their post and points in response to our posts is inappropriate, they're providing their opinion on the current topic as well. as for your point, i already stated my opinion: of course, people shouldn't be rude, but consider either just crediting the art you use or don't use it at all since you don't know who made it. 🤷‍♀️

and not to get super off topic or anything in this thread, but another rp pet peeve of mine is writing with someone who doesn't really put a lot of effort into a rp as you do. i love writing about my OCs and learning about my partners OCs, but when a partner doesn't remember basic details about my character it's just so disappointing. basic courtesy folks!!

and not to get super off topic or anything in this thread, but another rp pet peeve of mine is writing with someone who doesn't really put a lot of effort into a rp as you do. i love writing about my OCs and learning about my partners OCs, but when a partner doesn't remember basic details about my character it's just so disappointing. basic courtesy folks!!
Yeah that is very annoying

once again, i'm not really understanding your point; i disagree that their post and points in response to our posts is inappropriate, they're providing their opinion on the current topic as well. as for your point, i already stated my opinion: of course, people shouldn't be rude, but consider either just crediting the art you use or don't use it at all since you don't know who made it. 🤷‍♀️
In my experience most people don't use OC's as FC's and most OC's I see literally has the artist name or a water mark on it. Personally I feel like of you're too lazy to read the literal picture in front of your face then you really weren't interested in the art or the artist, to begin with, and maybe it's just me but if I am personally interested in a piece of art I will reverse google image search it.

You wouldn't want someone taking your OC and playing them, would you? That's what it's like for an artist to see someone using their OC artwork like that.
Maybe this is just a matter of the art forms being different, but as an aspiring comic writer, I'd be ecstatic if I made a character people liked enough to RP.

Maybe this is just a matter of the art forms being different, but as an aspiring comic writer, I'd be ecstatic if I made a character people liked enough to RP.
I'm sure you're not the only person who would find it flattering to have their character used by someone else.

However, from what I've seen in the art community, the general feeling from artists is that their art is incredibly personal and having it taken and used by others is painful.

For me, whether it's art of my OC or it's their written profile being used, I'd feel violated to see someone else playing them. My characters are a part of me. It might not seem like such a big deal if you're just taking their face to use for your OC, but for me it'd be like seeing someone using my actual face as a face claim.

Coco Adel Coco Adel if you like the art enough to use it as a face claim, why don't you care enough to credit the artist despite saying reverse image searching is easy?

Also, when your say people don't use OCs as face claims, do you mean they're only using fanart? In that case, yeah it's not so bad. I still think the minimum you can do is credit the artist to show you actually respect the work they put into creating the artwork.

However, in my experience, people use random art they find online with no reference for who the subject is. A little bit of digging often reveals it's an OC, or even a self portrait. When an artist draws a random subject, it's usually something personal to them. Sometimes even one-off drawings where they never draw or use the character again are something incredibly precious to the artist.

Coco Adel Coco Adel if you like the art enough to use it as a face claim, why don't you care enough to credit the artist despite saying reverse image searching is easy?

Also, when your say people don't use OCs as face claims, do you mean they're only using fanart? In that case, yeah it's not so bad. I still think the minimum you can do is credit the artist to show you actually respect the work they put into creating the artwork.

However, in my experience, people use random art they find online with no reference for who the subject is. A little bit of digging often reveals it's an OC, or even a self-portrait. When an artist draws a random subject, it's usually something personal to them. Sometimes even one-off drawings where they never draw or use the character again are something incredibly precious to the artist.
Well first of all I have my art of my own OC's which I give credit for, pretty sure I clearly state that already. Secondly, as I said typically from what I've seen myself included people don't typically use OC's as FC's it's typically fanart or official concept art, and the FC's that I've seen that are OC's again either have the artist signature on it, their name or a watermark that is clear as day to see so I feel like if you're too lazy to look at the dang picture and see the name of the artist staring you in the face you really didn't care too much about it anyway.

My point about Google image search is that I don't feel the need to pester people if I am personally interested in a piece of art, if I'm interested I'll just go look for it.

Well first of all I have my art of my own OC's which I give credit for, pretty sure I clearly state that already. Secondly, as I said typically from what I've seen myself included people don't typically use OC's as FC's it's typically fanart or official concept art, and the FC's that I've seen that are OC's again either have the artist signature on it, their name or a watermark that is clear as day to see so I feel like if you're too lazy to look at the dang picture and see the name of the artist staring you in the face you really didn't care too much about it anyway.

My point about Google image search is that I don't feel the need to pester people if I am personally interested in a piece of art, if I'm interested I'll just go look for it.
  1. I don't see why you think it should be on the partner to find the source, instead of the person using the art.
  2. The bare minimum a person can do to show respect to the artist is link to the artist's profile. If they're going to use the art, they can at least make it as easy as possible for others to find and support the artist.
  3. Not everyone can find the artist through the watermark. Some people have worse visual comprehension that makes reading a watermark or signature difficult. Some artists change their handle so the watermark isn't a valid way to find them anymore.
  4. Reverse image searching often means wading through dozens of reposts of uncredited art to find the source. Once again, why shouldn't the one using the art be responsible for that?

1. I don't see why you think it should be on the partner to find the source, instead of the person using the art.
  2. The bare minimum a person can do to show respect to the artist is link to the artist's profile. If they're going to use the art, they can at least make it as easy as possible for others to find and support the artist.
  3. Not everyone can find the artist through the watermark. Some people have worse visual comprehension that makes reading a watermark or signature difficult. Some artists change their handle so the watermark isn't a valid way to find them anymore.
  4. Reverse image searching often means wading through dozens of reposts of uncredited art to find the source. Once again, why shouldn't the one using the art be responsible for that?
2 is very subjective if your interested you can go look for it

as four 4 that’s why people don’t bother because again your expectation for wading though all of that are also just as annoying for the person wanting To use the piece

2 is very subjective if your interested you can go look for it

as four 4 that’s why people don’t bother because again your expectation for wading though all of that are also just as annoying for the person wanting To use the piece
If you don't care enough to find out who the artist is, don't use the art. Simple as that.

It's been said before, but the art didn't come into existence out nowhere. Someone put time, experience, skill, and emotion into creating that artwork.

Respect that.

If that's too much to ask, then at least don't complain when people want to know who the artist is. Even if they word it rudely, you're already being extremely rude to the artist by not crediting them and using their art without permission. Why should you be given respect when you aren't giving it?

1. Okay when did I say it was on my partner to find my source? nowhere do you see that whatsoever. I said that I meaning me do not feel the need to pester other people about art that I am interested in because I will look for it myself.
2. I'm blind as hell so I'm sorry but not really seeing how you can't read the name that is clearly in front of your face. I'm sorry maybe I'm being unreasonable. Posting a website is not the bare minimum of giving someone credit, literally giving someone credit is the bare minimum to show respect to an artist by not passing it off as your own. Would it be nice to link a website? Sure, but being the bare minimum is subjective.

1. Okay when did I say it was on my partner to find my source? nowhere do you see that whatsoever. I said that I meaning me do not feel the need to pester other people about art that I am interested in because I will look for it myself.
2. I'm blind as hell so I'm sorry but not really seeing how you can't read the name that is clearly in front of your face. I'm sorry maybe I'm being unreasonable. Posting a website is not the bare minimum of giving someone credit, literally giving someone credit is the bare minimum to show respect to an artist by not passing it off as your own. Would it be nice to link a website? Sure, but being the bare minimum is subjective.
Why do you feel the need to defend people using art without giving the artist credit?

You said you have art of your own OCs that you credit the artists on. You say if you're interested in art you see you'll go digging to find the artist. You act like your respect the artists.

But asking someone to credit the art they're using is too much? That's taking things too far for you?

Why do you feel the need to defend people using art without giving the artist credit?

You said you have art of your own OCs that you credit the artists on. You say if you're interested in art you see you'll go digging to find the artist. You act like your respect the artists.

But asking someone to credit the art they're using is too much? That's taking things too far for you?
Again you keep stating things I never said, at no point did I say that you shouldn't give credit. However, I think it's a bit hyperbolic to believe that people are out here trying not steal from an artist just because they use a picture as an FC as it completely ignores the spirit of what an FC is. Most logical people already know the FC does not belong not the user, it is being used for what is essentially an RPG you could even see it as a form of fan fiction. Now there isn't an issue with someone asking you to give an artist credit, but by no means does that give you the right to be an asshat while doing it. If being rude is your first response I don't care if they forgot or didn't think to credit because believe it or not most people's intention was not to hurt you to try to steal from you, it literally may have just slipped their minds because of the very culture of roleplay using pictures as FC's is seen as harmless so if your first reaction is to go from 0-100 without even trying to talk to the person civilly the yes you are wrong.

Now if you asked this person nicely and they just said fuck that and fuck you then by all means unleash hell because at that point they're knowingly being rude.

Again you keep stating things I never said, at no point did I say that you shouldn't give credit. However, I think it's a bit hyperbolic to believe that people are out here trying not steal from an artist just because they use a picture as an FC as it completely ignores the spirit of what an FC is. Most logical people already know the FC does not belong not the user, it is being used for what is essentially an RPG you could even see it as a form of fan fiction. Now there isn't an issue with someone asking you to give an artist credit, but by no means does that give you the right to be an asshat while doing it. If being rude is your first response I don't care if they forgot or didn't think to credit because believe it or not most people's intention was not to hurt you to try to steal from you, it literally may have just slipped their minds because of the very culture of roleplay using pictures as FC's is seen as harmless so if your first reaction is to go from 0-100 without even trying to talk to the person civilly the yes you are wrong.

Now if you asked this person nicely and they just said fuck that and fuck you then by all means unleash hell because at that point they're knowingly being rude.
Stealing art isn't just claiming you made it, it's posting it without credit/permission, it doesn't matter if you didn't "mean" to steal it. I understand that a lot of art is posted without credit, but that does not make it harmless or okay to participate in. I agree with you that it would be wrong of someone to be overtly rude or mean without asking for credit in a more civil way, but it's also wrong to have used the art without credit in the first place, that shouldn't get excused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back