Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn’t necessarily a peeve, but at times, I feel just awful having to decline new RP requests. It’s not because I don’t want to write with new partners, but rather, I really appreciate the partners that I have currently and I don’t want them to wait too long. If time constraints weren’t a thing, I would totally write endlessly with new people as well.

This isn't the worst one, but I think if you're going to require high-effort responses to your interest check (eg. including lots of information or a sample) you should have the courtesy and backbone to respond. Even if it's a no. This isn't job applications and you're not a boss. It's a hobby, and you're wasting people's time and mental energy wondering. 'Did they leave me on read because they're replying later? Or because it's a no?'. Rude.

Be polite and tell people you're not interested so they can move on and connect with someone else.

Lately I’ve come to despise redemption plots because it doesn’t always work or make sense given who the character is personality wise. Then there’s the fact that the character doesn’t want to be redeemed.

My other problem in rp is changing a character’s back story to someone who was evil for just to be evil and make them have a more sympathetic background which again doesn’t always work.

Clingy partners. The constant need to check up every single day with multiple PMs over the course of the day asking when will I post, do I like their post, how am I going to do my post. There's nothing wrong with a check in here and there but not all the time and especially not exhibiting behavior as if this partnership is some type of relationship because that's just creepy as hell.

I always hate having to deal with people who don't play other characters and it's just there OC reacting to things around them. Like, Play other characters even the enemines or npcs just to keep the story narrative flowing. Otherwise it just feels like busy work and you slowly lose interest in continuing. I'm not sure how some GM's can do it. Plus it's always nice to see others canon interpretations of how they play them. It makes it for fun for both sides.

I always hate having to deal with people who don't play other characters and it's just there OC reacting to things around them. Like, Play other characters even the enemines or npcs just to keep the story narrative flowing. Otherwise it just feels like busy work and you slowly lose interest in continuing. I'm not sure how some GM's can do it. Plus it's always nice to see others canon interpretations of how they play them. It makes it for fun for both sides.
This does get boring fast. Though I've met a couple of people who add to the annoyance. They added characters but then expected me to take them over. Without talking to me about it first.

The one who tried to add a love interest their character had talked to my character about was so stupid it's hilarious. They had their character call her and then literally ignored my actual characters and posts and was just RPing a scene of the person calling this person and crying for her to pick up.

This does get boring fast. Though I've met a couple of people who add to the annoyance. They added characters but then expected me to take them over. Without talking to me about it first.

The one who tried to add a love interest their character had talked to my character about was so stupid it's hilarious. They had their character call her and then literally ignored my actual characters and posts and was just RPing a scene of the person calling this person and crying for her to pick up.

Ooo that sounds really bad, They should speak to you about it. It's why OOC chat is always so important. So everyone can come in a agreement or just 1x1 Roleplays.

If there is one thing is that both yours and your partner OCs should be equal. And should never each other post. Cause like what's the point of Rping. You might as well make a fanficition instead if your writing your own scenario and what not.

Ooo that sounds really bad, They should speak to you about it. It's why OOC chat is always so important. So everyone can come in a agreement or just 1x1 Roleplays.

If there is one thing is that both yours and your partner OCs should be equal. And should never each other post. Cause like what's the point of Rping. You might as well make a fanficition instead if your writing your own scenario and what not.
This was a 1x1. So yeah, me having my character exploring the building they introduced for them to go in, then their character finding the phone, calling, and that's all they did while ignoring my character LMAO. Normally someone introduces a building I would expect them to want to describe what was inside and such. Or discuss what's they may find OOC. But this just stalled. Because they were apparently expecting me to suddenly be the girl answering the phone.

Lately I’ve come to despise redemption plots because it doesn’t always work or make sense given who the character is personality wise. Then there’s the fact that the character doesn’t want to be redeemed.

My other problem in rp is changing a character’s back story to someone who was evil for just to be evil and make them have a more sympathetic background which again doesn’t always work.
I somehow missed seeing this post yesterday. This is one of my biggest ever pet peeves aside from people trying to mandatorily ship characters. And trying to use the "Reddem with love or firendship" makes me want to scream at this point.

I completely agree with this. I like a redemption arc for a character who it makes sense for. A thief turn hero. A younger member of an evil family learning to embrace their moral compass. But I also love me an evil villain. The evil person that due to any number of reason will not turn good. Can never be trusted. And I am cursed to know a lot of people I call villainphiles who you can't even talk to about a villain unless it's literally a monster. And a few even then want to find a reason to feel sad for a monster. One person I met treated it like some kind of weird religion that "All people can be redeemed" and actually took offence if you told them you sometimes just want a villain that is a villain.

I actually came up with a list of questions that really annoys the villainphiles.

1. What did the villain do. Not everything is easily forgivable.
2. Does it even make sense story wise that enough people would accept the villain is redeemed. Imagine them walking through the area with the civilians. Or the main characters of the story being seen letting him get away with his crimes. How does the populace feel.
3. Can you honestly say it makes any sense whatsoever this guy isn't a danger anymore? If he's on the fence about redemption does it make sense the main characters are "giving them a chance?"

As for changing back story to make them more sympathetic, yeah, that gets old. As you can imagine having people running villains by me they want to do a redeemable RP plot with I got a lot of haphazard changes to what they said to try to convince me (and potentially my characters) feel bad.

And their are times they try to get me to add things to my villains to make the more relatable. Like, whether that makes sense adding that or not it doesn't make enslaving an entire town and murder and torture anymore relatable to the populace of the story.

Even more annoying when they try to rewrite all the NPC or even your character to make a reason for what the villain did.

I somehow missed seeing this post yesterday. This is one of my biggest ever pet peeves aside from people trying to mandatorily ship characters. And trying to use the "Reddem with love or firendship" makes me want to scream at this point.

I completely agree with this. I like a redemption arc for a character who it makes sense for. A thief turn hero. A younger member of an evil family learning to embrace their moral compass. But I also love me an evil villain. The evil person that due to any number of reason will not turn good. Can never be trusted. And I am cursed to know a lot of people I call villainphiles who you can't even talk to about a villain unless it's literally a monster. And a few even then want to find a reason to feel sad for a monster. One person I met treated it like some kind of weird religion that "All people can be redeemed" and actually took offence if you told them you sometimes just want a villain that is a villain.

I actually came up with a list of questions that really annoys the villainphiles.

1. What did the villain do. Not everything is easily forgivable.
2. Does it even make sense story wise that enough people would accept the villain is redeemed. Imagine them walking through the area with the civilians. Or the main characters of the story being seen letting him get away with his crimes. How does the populace feel.
3. Can you honestly say it makes any sense whatsoever this guy isn't a danger anymore? If he's on the fence about redemption does it make sense the main characters are "giving them a chance?"

As for changing back story to make them more sympathetic, yeah, that gets old. As you can imagine having people running villains by me they want to do a redeemable RP plot with I got a lot of haphazard changes to what they said to try to convince me (and potentially my characters) feel bad.

And their are times they try to get me to add things to my villains to make the more relatable. Like, whether that makes sense adding that or not it doesn't make enslaving an entire town and murder and torture anymore relatable to the populace of the story.

Even more annoying when they try to rewrite all the NPC or even your character to make a reason for what the villain did.
I can see wanting to make the villains relatable to them. However, more often than not it’s executed so poorly it makes me questioning how will it work, etc.

Yes, the crimes you listed in your post he did all that down to treason. What I don’t see is how these people forgot the things he did in the game’s plot like and try convince me the characters will easily forget all the horrible things he did. When he at least burned the two main characters hometown to the ground and murdered their friend.

What rubs me the wrong way about this is that I feel like it’s also poorly ripping off Full Metal Alchemist primarily the homunculus being the personification of the seven sins. Maybe also the other anime. That’s my other biggest pet peeve that it doesn’t feel like the game anymore. Why add in some Ning that doesn’t make sense? I wanting to be original but keep in mind the original concept too.
.. they tried to rewrite npcs to give a reason for what the villain did? What?

Last edited:
So I’m my experience the reason people try to “redeem” villains is because they find the faceclaims personally attractive.

Like I will never forget the time when someone asked be to play the villain in a superhero TV show. (So you know the fact this guy is a villain is basically bashed into the audiences head. He is blatantly manipulating the protagonist and his friends, he has already done awful things to the protagonist that the audience is privy too and the protagonist has to uncover as part of the plot.”

But because the villain is played by a charismatic and handsome actor this girl was like “I want to pair him up with this OC.”

To which I was like “okay but like there is at least a 50% chance he will murder her.” Cuz he actually does murder his pseudo son in the series. So like I said the show was bashing people over the head with the fact his guy was no good and only out to hurt the protagonist.

But the girl did try that whole “no he really loves my character and blah blah blah”. Again at this point in the show he has already murdered someone he explicitly says is like a son to him. So he has explicitly made clear that he will murder his own loved ones if need be.

But the girl could just not make that connection cuz she really wanted her character to date the villains faceclaim.

So I’m my experience the reason people try to “redeem” villains is because they find the faceclaims personally attractive.

Like I will never forget the time when someone asked be to play the villain in a superhero TV show. (So you know the fact this guy is a villain is basically bashed into the audiences head. He is blatantly manipulating the protagonist and his friends, he has already done awful things to the protagonist that the audience is privy too and the protagonist has to uncover as part of the plot.”

But because the villain is played by a charismatic and handsome actor this girl was like “I want to pair him up with this OC.”

To which I was like “okay but like there is at least a 50% chance he will murder her.” Cuz he actually does murder his pseudo son in the series. So like I said the show was bashing people over the head with the fact his guy was no good and only out to hurt the protagonist.

But the girl did try that whole “no he really loves my character and blah blah blah”. Again at this point in the show he has already murdered someone he explicitly says is like a son to him. So he has explicitly made clear that he will murder his own loved ones if need be.

But the girl could just not make that connection cuz she really wanted her character to date the villains faceclaim.
Bruh. Are the allos okay?… Anyways, I don’t understand the reasoning behind “faceclaim is hot, therefore character is good”. It just perpetrates more of that Disney ideal that the hero is always hot and the villain is cartoonishly ugly. I mean, I don’t like the stereotype, but I do like myself some ugly villains, and some hot villains. But if you define a characters personality or ability to be redeemed based on how much you want to smash them… that’s messed up. So, my answer to the oft-asked question “If villain bad, why sexy?” is, because looks don’t define character, you dumbass. I could say more on this but I will leave it at that.

.. All I’m gonna is wtf? This girl missed the entire point of this guy and just wanted to jump into his pants without understanding his character, what made him this way. This reminds me of the people wanting an rp with Jason fucking Voorhees.. no joke.

The sad part is that this probably would've been made 1,000% more interesting of a story had the villain been able to stick to their character. Like the villain legit tries to kill the OC at some point, and the OC has to go through this huge awakening about how their love interest is actually just a terrible and dangerous person. Cue deep self-reflection on why they're attracted to dark villains, then a wave of extreme emotional distraught that they've let themselves get into this type of situation in the first place, and finally they desperately start to plan how they can escape with their life and sanity intact... All while fighting with their deep-rooted empathy over him.

I would so RP that.

The sad part is that this probably would've been made 1,000% more interesting of a story had the villain been able to stick to their character. Like the villain legit tries to kill the OC at some point, and the OC has to go through this huge awakening about how their love interest is actually just a terrible and dangerous person. Cue deep self-reflection on why they're attracted to dark villains, then a wave of extreme emotional distraught that they've let themselves get into this type of situation in the first place, and finally they desperately start to plan how they can escape with their life and sanity intact... All while fighting with their deep-rooted empathy over him.

I would so RP that.

exactly I mean the character wasn’t horribly written (I mean it was a little obvious he was the bad guy from the audience perspective cuz we got to see all the cut away scenes of him being shady. But from the rest of the characters perspective he was this like nice/loving person. So the protagonist did have to go through a version of that realization in the series. And it was really interesting part of the over all arc.

Which is why I was willing to do the love interest pairing in the first place. I just wanted the person to be aware that I wasn’t playing a romantic hero. I was playing the villain of the series who was not remotely a good person.

Like I feel the whole “but love can fix him” thing is gross on its head. But when you have the character murder essentially his child on screen then try to argue that his romantic love interest is somehow more important and can completely change his motivation. It’s just silly.

It’s not like you love your kids less then you love your romantic partner for goodness sake.

I have seen this in action actually. XD People loving their romantic partners more than their children.

They are a little much

In fairness so have I, but they are not the kind of people I would want to emulate in writing. Or rather their relationships were not something I would be comfortable romanticizing or treating as positive.

Which is a problem I have in general with shippers. They like to treat romantic pairings like the only relationship that matters in a characters life.

And I am like “I saw how toxic that mentality is in real life so I’m gonna need you to give your character some healthy relationships that don’t involve wanting to fuck someone else. Cuz otherwise it just comes across as obsessive and creepy.”

Which one is more important: personal preferences or addressing the (unnecessary) language barrier?
I'm recently taking part in a Pokemon x Kirby roleplay set up in Kirby-verse. The host used Japanese speeches for the Kirby-verse casts without telling other players OOC (it's a group RP), and that was after everyone else assumed every talks are in English. When I confronted them about the unnecessary language barrier, the host simply stated that they prefer watching original Japanese animes over the dubbed one, hence them having their characters speak in Japanese instead of English. That's why I had to suggest an in-universe translator to be used over the RP's course because everyone else's characters (including one from Kirby-verse who's not played by the host) speak in English and mine had to particularly specify that she doesn't speak Japanese.
...what have I done? I shouldn't have made that RP. Should I just delete it?

Last edited:
That feeling when you have a good rp going and the OOC just goes dead. Two or three posts in, you only talk if you’re asking for a post or letting them know why you didn’t get your post up in time

hate it

When you sign up for an RP and you start planning with this person, you seem to have worked out all the details, and then like they just, it's not even that they stop talking to you, but everything has stopped kind of and they make no effort to star the RP even if logically because of the premise and what you planned out that they should start and then it becomes clear that for whatever reason even though it doesn't make any sense for you to start that they clearly want you to start but won't just come out and say it so they do this annoying dragging their feet, only replies to you once or twice a day to ask about trivial crap you know they don't really care about, they're just waiting for you to get tired of waiting enough to say "Hey, do you want me to start?" When you know you could just ask instead of being so annoying about it? I don't mind starting, but don't do this.

When you sign up for an RP and you start planning with this person, you seem to have worked out all the details, and then like they just, it's not even that they stop talking to you, but everything has stopped kind of and they make no effort to star the RP even if logically because of the premise and what you planned out that they should start and then it becomes clear that for whatever reason even though it doesn't make any sense for you to start that they clearly want you to start but won't just come out and say it so they do this annoying dragging their feet, only replies to you once or twice a day to ask about trivial crap you know they don't really care about, they're just waiting for you to get tired of waiting enough to say "Hey, do you want me to start?" When you know you could just ask instead of being so annoying about it? I don't mind starting, but don't do this.
Red flag. Most people are willing to compromise. But then you have others that expect the work to be done for them. All of that sounds exhausting. I would tell them point blank, it makes more sense for them to do the starter and if they continue to give you the run around you probably should seek partners elsewhere.

When you get ghosted by someone only for them to steal your request thread premise/starter. Now to be clear I don't mind if you make a thread requesting the same type of RP we were supposed to be doing-especially if it was a fandom RP, but when you steal my whole flow word for word, bar for bar (I regret nothing 😆) then I get annoyed.

That feeling when you have a good rp going and the OOC just goes dead. Two or three posts in, you only talk if you’re asking for a post or letting them know why you didn’t get your post up in time

hate it
But that's just RpNation. You live, you move on, you do it all over again.

People who completely fucking miss the tone and atmosphere of an RP (and come off as considerably less mature or younger than everyone else involved.)

Sorry bro but your wishy washy dollar store deviantart fanfic backstory you thought up after spending a few hours on Crunchyroll is not what I want in the semi-grounded black ops themed milscifi RP.

I had to drop the 1x1 rp I had going on in DMs because it was basically my character pulling the scene along, talking, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back