Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything, the past few days have made it very clear. But people basically dictating what I can and cannot write or what I can be comfortable writing and what I cannot be uncomfortable writing. Silly me. I thought this writing thing was supposed to be something everyone enjoyed for whatever reasons they feel are important to them. I had no idea that those reasons can be judged so harshly. So where's the fun in any of this if you have someone telling you how you should be doing it?

So I personally am not into OCxCanon but I have friends that are and there is a particular trend that I have been made aware of that honestly just irritates me so much and it caused me to check some of these threads to see if it was true and while I can say I didn't see many of them I'll be honest that seeing hem period upset me. I have nothing against OCxCanon I'm just not very good at playing pre-existing characters from canon.

The "I won't play any character I'm interested in" crowd.

So this is what bugs me about this particular thing. If you were only interested in pairing your OC up with one specific character I could let this go but what irritates me is when I see people with an entire list of characters they're interested in pairing with but aren't willing to play any of them for their partner. Okay, let's say you have a list of characters you're interested in from say A - G that's 7 characters right? Now let's say you pick character C. So why exactly after you have picked character C are you still withholding characters A, B as well as D-G? If you don't think you'd be able to play them well I'd understand but if your reason for doing so is specifically and solely that you aren't willing to play them purely because you're interested in them when you have a whole list and you have already picked one then personally to me that is selfish. You already picked your character so why can't your partner pick one of the characters you aren't using and did not pick? That's like playing Smash having 7 favorite characters picking Mario and then telling me I can't pick Link because he's one of your favorites.

Coco Adel Coco Adel that seems creepy more then selfish. Cuz if the person is so personally attracted to fictional characters that they can’t be written by other people then that’s just toxic.

cuz if basically means I as a writer have to be their romantic partner for however long the roleplay lasts. And I better behave in a way they deem romantic at all times or risk a temper tantrum.

Like that’s not roleplaying that’s an abusive relationship. Or at the very least a super toxic friendship and no thank you,

When the roleplay falls off track because the other person is not paying attention or something else and I have to be the one try to keep it on track. For example a character is clearly dead, I've explained this in detail in the story, but yet the other person continues on as if said person is alive. Even after I have explained to them the character is dead they still keep giving reference of them being alive. Or, our characters are in a certain location already. Been there for several posts actually. The other person says they need to head to the location. Lastly, out of character information working its way into the roleplay all the damn time.
-_- Bruh.

When the roleplay falls off track because the other person is not paying attention or something else and I have to be the one try to keep it on track. For example a character is clearly dead, I've explained this in detail in the story, but yet the other person continues on as if said person is alive. Even after I have explained to them the character is dead they still keep giving reference of them being alive. Or, our characters are in a certain location already. Been there for several posts actually. The other person says they need to head to the location. Lastly, out of character information working its way into the roleplay all the damn time.
-_- Bruh.
That, and made worse if it's the host who's not paying attention or whatever. Why tho? 😩

I've stopped RPing romance with people who have female mains because more often than not, whenever they create their character they all seem to be the exact same person and it's just them trying to rp out their fantasy instant-romance. I also don't rp with anyone who claims they only rp 'uke' characters, because in my experience they do the same thing. It's just the male version of their female characters and the character doesn't have any depth but they get upset because my character isn't immediately falling in love with their either nauseatingly perfect or 'adorably flawed' character.

... they get upset because my character isn't immediately falling in love with their either nauseatingly perfect or 'adorably flawed' character.

I know your pain all too well. And I believe we can all agree that this issue stems from people who just don't know how romance works, and who don't understand that the concept of "love at first sight" doesn't make for good storytelling. Stories are about the journey. Not the destination. If the characters fall for each other instantly, the story's over before it began.

My latest RP pet peeve is directed squarely at mah own dayum self!

For some reason I have a bad habit/knack for trying to start and recruit for RP's at the worst possible times.

For example... Trying to start an RP right before a holiday season. Trying to start an RP too long after the "craze" is over from the hype/interest of a genre/fandom losing popularity after either ending or simply having not been made in a while. Trying to start an original RP idea which has nothing to do with the latest crazes and so gets no attention or interest. Etc, etc. The list goes on.

Why can't I start an RP that people find interesting at a time when they find interesting?

Dear future GojiBean... Please, for the love of all things holy and the sake of your own sanity... Pay attention to what's actually being RP'd in the future so you can create RP's that'll actually get attention and people joining.

Love, your current ("past" by the time you read this) self.

~ GojiBean

I've stopped RPing romance with people who have female mains because more often than not, whenever they create their character they all seem to be the exact same person and it's just them trying to rp out their fantasy instant-romance. I also don't rp with anyone who claims they only rp 'uke' characters, because in my experience they do the same thing. It's just the male version of their female characters and the character doesn't have any depth but they get upset because my character isn't immediately falling in love with their either nauseatingly perfect or 'adorably flawed' character.
To be fair I've met plenty of people with male mains who are exactly the same, actually in some cases I find them to be worse since they tend to try and reduce my character into a damsel in distress and things they think are romantic but are really just really cringe and annoying. Not discrediting your experience, I'm just sashing that this is just a...what would I call it? A cringe person problem.

All right, I have another thing that I have begun to realize that has happened to me, way too often. I'm sure others can relate:
So, let's say I had an idea of a roleplay, right? Like I spent a whole lot of time thinking of responses, squeezing them in when I'm busy or other times. Then BOOM out of nowhere they just go: "I'm sorry but I think I'm going to have to drop out"

I am nice about it and go: "yeah, it's all right! "No worries!" "I understand" or "Nice roleplaying with you" "It was an honor"

Here's another:
This one happens A LOT, so, let's say I'm roleplaying with someone in PMs and they just disappear without warning.
Now, me, being an overthinker, like really badly; I immediately think, "oh, they obviously didn't like the way I write/roleplay" or "was I boring?" or "was that the only way they could think of telling me they were bored, was just to disappear?"

Let me know if anyone agrees.

I can't stand with a passion someone who expresses interest in my pairings or plots but offer NO ideas for them even when I state it on my request thread: I am looking for someone who can offer up ideas too. I would rather have something instead of nothing so that way it doesn't feel like I'm doing all the work. Or if I flat out ask the person about what ideas they have, they don't even respond back to the conversation. Why did you bother reaching out in the first place if you're not planning on doing anything but sit in the background?

Another thing that's irritating is no insight to a person's character. No background, nothing. The character is just reactive for no apparent reason. It really doesn't have to be anything big but just something to get a feel for the character. Sheesh.

For some reason I have a bad habit/knack for trying to start and recruit for RP's at the worst possible times.

For example... Trying to start an RP right before a holiday season. Trying to start an RP too long after the "craze" is over from the hype/interest of a genre/fandom losing popularity after either ending or simply having not been made in a while. Trying to start an original RP idea which has nothing to do with the latest crazes and so gets no attention or interest. Etc, etc. The list goes on.
I get this so much. Every time I feel like I find what seems to be a good partner into one of my odd ideas real life is like "NOPE!"

Seriously. I get so hyped at the idea of a new RP idea and when I find a good potential partner is nothing but mood killing distractions all over.

The only partners I can keep are the most patient of people.

My latest RP pet peeve is directed squarely at mah own dayum self!

Why can't I start an RP that people find interesting at a time when they find interesting?

Dear future GojiBean... Please, for the love of all things holy and the sake of your own sanity... Pay attention to what's actually being RP'd in the future so you can create RP's that'll actually get attention and people joining.

Love, your current ("past" by the time you read this) self.

~ GojiBean
Painfully correct. I feel attacked lmao.

I'm tired of seeing interest check that focuses on what turns out to be a relatively small part of the actual rp.

The amounts of time I've joined what I thought was a fast paced, action focused roleplay only for it to turn out to be mostly slice-of-life is to damn high.

I'm tired of seeing interest check that focuses on what turns out to be a relatively small part of the actual rp.

The amounts of time I've joined what I thought was a fast paced, action focused roleplay only for it to turn out to be mostly slice-of-life is to damn high.
Basically Boruto for the first 40+ episodes. Which are all filler slice-of-life.

Here's another:
This one happens A LOT, so, let's say I'm roleplaying with someone in PMs and they just disappear without warning.
Now, me, being an overthinker, like really badly; I immediately think, "oh, they obviously didn't like the way I write/roleplay" or "was I boring?" or "was that the only way they could think of telling me they were bored, was just to disappear?"

Let me know if anyone agrees.
MOOD.

I've stopped seeking new partners since literally every time I get ghosted after one or two posts. I can't help but to have thoughts similar to these.

Every time a rp partner disappears I just assume they were swallowed by real life. It's healthier for your own sanity because you don't have to think what you did wrong, since in most cases you really did nothing wrong and real life indeed swallowed them.

The real pain comes from the fact that when I'm the one being swallowed I need to not forget to let others know. Too many people instantly assume that they're bad writers when it's simply real life being too overwhelming for their partners. 😭

Hffff...

Replying to someone's partner search thread, then proceeding to suggest a plot idea, getting no further input, just "this is good, we can do that", no plotting, nothing.

Heck I love to plot, and I have no problem offering more ideas than my partner, but when all I get as a response is three or four words it starts to sound like the person isn't actually interested.
Which weirds me out because they were looking for partners.

I mean, if you're not interested, that's fine, really, feel free to suggest something else or tell me you don't wanna rp, but those unmotivated replies during the planning process make me backflip outta there within 0.1 seconds...
I mean, if you wanna rp, you usually don't sound like you're about as excited about it as having to do the dishes, do you?

I tried plotting with someone in the multiverse Rp we’re both in. I wrote like a paragraph with details about the idea only to get an ‘okay’ in response. I mean try to act interested or meet me half way since it actually directly affects their character. I just shook my head and thought this isn’t worth it if they’re not gonna just be honest with me that they’re not interested.

Person 1: "Hey, I read your request thread, I liked this particular pairing of yours. Maybe we could do a bit of plotting for it to see what we come up with?"

Person 2: "Absolutely. I have a couple of ideas. *Puts up a detailed idea* It's just a rough idea but I would love to hear what you have in mind in case none of this works.

Person 1: Hey, you know I like traveling.

Person 2: I do too. :)

Person 1: There's a lot of places to go.

Person 2: Indeed. What kind of ideas did you have in mind though?

Person 1 leaves the conversation.

🤔🤔🤔

That reminds me of the time a guy left the roleplay by saying “God doesn’t want me to roleplay with you.”

It was honestly funny. Like if you have to dip out of a roleplay picking a funny closing line is certainly an amusing way to go about it.

Having a character with a disability or weakness and your partner tries to have a character magically autofix it right off the bat.
Yep. Typically if I'm playing a character with a disability it's for a reason. They don't need fixing, unless it's some sort of dystopian setting that practices eugenics or something.

What rubbed me the wrong way is this rper tried to passed off their idiot character as a leader/kick ass character when it was clear that was not the case and would likely get herself and the fan favorite killed because the rp was set in zombie apocalypse setting.

She used a canon character she took up as mouth piece to say how her oc is meant to be with the fan favorite. In the comics/show he would not say such garbage.

Yep. Typically if I'm playing a character with a disability it's for a reason. They don't need fixing, unless it's some sort of dystopian setting that practices eugenics or something.
It's pretty much an instant mood killer. How they deal with their disabilities is part of a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back