Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
it’s not a serious request, I’m just annoyed. also, this is for what’s upsetting people as far as rping goes. Just for opinions, and serious discussion at times. I know there’s a fair bit of discourse about the age limits and stuff, and this is one small thing. I know I can’t tell people what to do, and I wasn’t trying to.
Even if I was being serious, you see the part where it says “asking”? Yeah, no. I’d never try to tell anyone on this site what to do. Trust me, I learned how people react to that a long time ago.
👍

Trust me, I learned how people react to that a long time ago.

Smart. Getting someone to change their mind is the hardest thing in the world to do.

I've had a secret theory for a long time that every single person in the world thinks they're smarter than every other person. If you've ever seen videos of anyone arguing very heatedly you can sort of see what I mean. I know it's a wrong theory since I honestly think I'm just about the biggest idiot who ever lived, but it's a fun lens through which to temporally view the world, and in so many cases it makes sense of a lot of the absurdity out there.

Smart. Getting someone to change their mind is the hardest thing in the world to do.
Taking this viewpoint into consideration, however, it’s not unreasonable to ask for a compromise- especially when rping, as I do this for both my entertainment and my rp partners’ enjoyment.

Today’s fresh annoyance: people not reading the fucking package. I dropped into a LF RP chatbox for some simple zero-brain RPs as a breezy treat between the plot-heavy masterpieces I’m having, literally say “yo gang just send me a starter and lets wing it” and bam, here come the mfers in my inbox with their plotting book at the ready complaining after two messages that “Uhh, ehh, I’m not really what they’re looking for because I wanna do something extensive uwu”.. like bro, my LF message deadass stated that I’m not after that sorta thing atm.

For some magical reason, I only come across multi-para folks when I’m in the market for brainless, simple intermezzo RPs, and whenever I’m looking to snatch a dedicated novella game I only encounter smutty mad lads who don’t go past two sentences and refuse to elaborate.

Don't want to interrupt any convos going on in here, but has anyone else felt that they're interests just don't align with the site's anymore? By that I'd mean you're having a hard time finding interest checks you'd want to jump into. I remember a while ago I could find most of what I was looking for (dnd-esc fantasy, star wars, some nice modern concepts), but now it just kinda seems like they're all academy or superhero rps. Did I miss a trend?

Don't want to interrupt any convos going on in here, but has anyone else felt that they're interests just don't align with the site's anymore? By that I'd mean you're having a hard time finding interest checks you'd want to jump into. I remember a while ago I could find most of what I was looking for (dnd-esc fantasy, star wars, some nice modern concepts), but now it just kinda seems like they're all academy or superhero rps. Did I miss a trend?
Honestly, same. where’d all the urban fantasy people go? And did the craving for medieval rps just go away? It’s weird for the site, and I’ve only been on here for about 11 months.

Honestly, same. where’d all the urban fantasy people go? And did the craving for medieval rps just go away? It’s weird for the site, and I’ve only been on here for about 11 months.
Y'know that's what I was thinking, maybe we missed the bus lol. That, or some series dropped or got a new season.

My Hero Academia is all the rage right now, and Marvel is also in that bus in terms of superpower concepts. Plus, people are in school/college, so RPs with superpowers and high schools or college settings are more popular. The fantasy element in fandoms are also highly popular.

Plus, those who are likely into those RPs you want to find are taking a break, doing irl stuff, or have different cravings due to school or another reason.

DnD is a weird one though. I'd thought people were going to be more gungho about it. Weird.

My Hero Academia is all the rage right now, and Marvel is also in that bus in terms of superpower concepts. Plus, people are in school/college, so RPs with superpowers and high schools or college settings are more popular. The fantasy element in fandoms are also highly popular.

Plus, those who are likely into those RPs you want to find are taking a break, doing irl stuff, or have different cravings due to school or another reason.

DnD is a weird one though. I'd thought people were going to be more gungho about it. Weird.
Yeah true, we are living in the golden age of superhero movies. That being said, I think taking whatever idea you have and then packing it into an "academy" setting also serves as a fantastic "pre-fabricated" setting. It still has its own feel, but the tropes can still be very much present from other schools in media. The GM doesn't really have to develop much to get something like that up and running.

Yeah true, we are living in the golden age of superhero movies. That being said, I think taking whatever idea you have and then packing it into an "academy" setting also serves as a fantastic "pre-fabricated" setting. It still has its own feel, but the tropes can still be very much present from other schools in media. The GM doesn't really have to develop much to get something like that up and running.

Some people prefer your idea, others prefer the fandom worlds they are sucked into. If they can't have their Bakugo, All Might, Deku, Aizawa, or whoever in their world with their character, whether they are implied to be there or not, they won't want to join an RP of a pre-fabricated academy setting. Lol. Or they'll just play as the canon character XD which is fine, but I see a lot of people aren't into that.

I am also the kind of person to only do fandom RPs. Not because I lack originality or creativity, but because I love the canon characters, I want to play as them or get to know them more and play with headcanons, and I have my character in there to vicariously live through as I interact with these characters, canon or original. Also, I like to play with and expand on lore.

I also love the settings/lore and I don't want to be told I'm ripping stuff from those games or have people be weirded out that I have a setting/logistics/what-have-you strikingly familiar to an anime and wonder why I don't want to just RP in the fandom since it's incredibly easy. Just take the setting, the world, the lore (which people also love to play with/in and expand on) and run off into the sunset. XD

It also keeps limitations to a minimum. You have a fandom RP, people will make characters within the fandom's universe and logic. You make a generic academy RP, people will include characters (canon or original) from all kinds of universes and fandoms that they want to play with and some of those abilities or how they acquire them might not fit well within the realities of this inspired world. Gotta set down limitations that aren't spoken in an actual fandom setting because everyone who joins a fandom RP understands what's achievable and what's not.

Certainly doesn't stop OP characters, but that's a different ball game.

Not saying it can't be done and that people can't also enjoy it, but fandom RPs are all the rage and are more preferred. Plus, people's coping mechanisms are within the fandoms they want to RP in, so a generic/inspired academy RP might not be what they'll want to do.

Some people prefer your idea, others prefer the fandom worlds they are sucked into. If they can't have their Bakugo, All Might, Deku, Aizawa, or whoever in their world with their character, whether they are implied to be there or not, they won't want to join an RP of a pre-fabricated academy setting. Lol. Or they'll just play as the canon character XD which is fine, but I see a lot of people aren't into that.

I am also the kind of person to only do fandom RPs. Not because I lack originality or creativity, but because I love the canon characters, I want to play as them or get to know them more and play with headcanons, and I have my character in there to vicariously live through as I interact with these characters, canon or original. Also, I like to play with and expand on lore.

I also love the settings/lore and I don't want to be told I'm ripping stuff from those games or have people be weirded out that I have a setting/logistics/what-have-you strikingly familiar to an anime and wonder why I don't want to just RP in the fandom since it's incredibly easy. Just take the setting, the world, the lore (which people also love to play with/in and expand on) and run off into the sunset. XD

It also keeps limitations to a minimum. You have a fandom RP, people will make characters within the fandom's universe and logic. You make a generic academy RP, people will include characters (canon or original) from all kinds of universes and fandoms that they want to play with and some of those abilities or how they acquire them might not fit well within the realities of this inspired world. Gotta set down limitations that aren't spoken in an actual fandom setting because everyone who joins a fandom RP understands what's achievable and what's not.

Certainly doesn't stop OP characters, but that's a different ball game.

Not saying it can't be done and that people can't also enjoy it, but fandom RPs are all the rage and are more preferred. Plus, people's coping mechanisms are within the fandoms they want to RP in, so a generic/inspired academy RP might not be what they'll want to do.
THAT was some insight my man, I feel like I'm actually learning lol.

THAT was some insight my man, I feel like I'm actually learning lol.

LOL thank you :D

Anyway, for my piece here for this thread...

I hate making posts on mobile and I hate messing up words in either device (mobile or computer). I have so many ideas and sentences I want to put down, but my fingers/thumbs are too slow.

And stupid AUTOCORRECT, I SWEAR...

Anyway XD moving on

I feel this way but honestly I've started to think it probably has to do with my age? Or maybe the things I'm into now? I still love RPN as a site and I've been on here since I was 14 but like... A lot of the type of roleplays i liked as a teen aren't my thing anymore and the things I'm starting to enjoy RPing might be a bit too much of a grey area for RPN. So I've kinda ended up looking through the interest checks less and less.

We are in 1x1s. You might have to use the filter system a little bit but we are still there.

I do a lot of urban fantasy slice of life roleplays, trust me there is a thriving market for it in 1x1s.

Medieval is also fairly popular (not my cup of tea personally but when it comes to making up full fantasy worlds it’s still the default for most people).

So I think it’s a case of don’t let the searches with the most bumps fool you. Especially in 1x1s you have to make the filter system work for you not just scroll through the pages on a whim. Cuz there are quite a few people who post multiple threads or bump their threads daily. Doesn’t mean their ideas are more popular just means their more enthusiastic about searching.

(I don’t do groups so can’t speak to the trends there).

Slight pet peeve here but I hate when you openly post your schedule for work/school in the thread and make it clear you have to go a day without rping cause you work a 12 hr shift and when you get back the person dropped the rp because "I have a rule if you dont reply in a day i consider that ghosting me and your no longer interested." When I made it very clear and they agreed to give me the day and they never mentioned the rule when we made the rp

Slight pet peeve here but I hate when you openly post your schedule for work/school in the thread and make it clear you have to go a day without rping cause you work a 12 hr shift and when you get back the person dropped the rp because "I have a rule if you dont reply in a day i consider that ghosting me and your no longer interested." When I made it very clear and they agreed to give me the day and they never mentioned the rule when we made the rp

See that always strikes me as someone not knowing how to quit gracefully. Like I get it sometimes and idea doesn’t work out and you don’t want to hurt the other persons feelings.

But at least you could say “oh sorry I don’t think our schedules line up” or something.

Yeah I just told them they need to be upfront about rules like that next time if they rp with someone cause just....that *points at my post* is rude as hel because I didnt know that was a rule to start with otherwise i would of just not taken them as a partner

Kid or teenagers with school mixed in settings are a big thing at the moment. Also apparently kids with a mentor type thing. Yeah, no kids as main characters is not a popular RP concept at the moment.

I have actually found that mixing fantasy and sci fi in a modern type setting is not popular for quite some time. I have a world idea involving a basically modern lifestyle for the major populace with some high tech design with fantasy creatures and aliens but never got any takers.

Ok so today it's going into an RP and getting something... way different than you expected. Like I've been diving into a lot of group RP's expecting something light and hopeful and fun, only to actually get in and find out they're super dark and edgy. And then the GM's just expect you to know that. Really it's just lack of communication in terms of the interest and recruitment. Like at least tell us "hey, this might be/get super dark, be warned".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back