Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that it's important but more that they need something to make them feel good. For some, it's an urge like you would get in a competitive match. Your emotions gets tied into it and the person acts like a jerk because they are trying to win and doing what they can. XD "nice people don't win" apparently. Other times, they are in a rough spot and want to feel in control of the situation because they don't have that in their life. Why they don't make fanfics instead besides the reason "spontaneity and randomness and more ideas" is beyond me.

Some people find it important because it's a good escape for them. But other than that, I can't give any other reason as to why others would do it, who don't fit these reasons I mentioned.

It could also be entitlement XD lol but yea know.
I would suspect the reason they don't just write fanfiction is because maybe they need to feel control over another person therefore just writing a completely fictional piece of their own making may not be enough for them perhaps?

I would suspect the reason they don't just write fanfiction is because maybe they need to feel control over another person therefore just writing a completely fictional piece of their own making may not be enough for them perhaps?

Possibly. And if they can't get that control, no matter if they have plenty of it or not irl, can make thos people incredibly nasty and manipulative. But also, writing fanfiction can feel like a chore or feel boring if you don't have anyone you can bounce ideas with. The problem is when the two-way idea street becomes more like "I want to hear these ideas and maybe they'll be useful, but it has to follow my narrative and it can't be different. So effectively only my ideas or ideas of like-minded individuals can work" which sounds kind of pretentious to assume that no idea is going to work unless you pass it like it's the law. -_- and then you get those same people who use an idea they took from someone suggesting it to them when they said the idea didn't work in the first place.

Yea, I've had this issue before XD

People that say they enjoy OOC but clearly do not enjoy OOC like you give one-word answers to pretty much everything, there is never anything you want to talk about RP related or otherwise and now I feel like I'm being annoying and bothering you.

This is an interesting topic. When I RP, I sort of mandate that the other person plays the 'main character' and that my job is to throw situations and different NPCs at them. I always have an end goal in mind for the protagonist when I start playing, and I do my best to move the player toward that goal at a steady but not reckless pace.

I suppose that means that I demand the lion's share of the control in any given game, but over 20 years of doing this sort of thing I've realized that if I don't take the reins, the odds of a game fizzling out increases by like a billion percent.

This is an interesting topic. When I RP, I sort of mandate that the other person plays the 'main character' and that my job is to throw situations and different NPCs at them. I always have an end goal in mind for the protagonist when I start playing, and I do my best to move the player toward that goal at a steady but not reckless pace.

I suppose that means that I demand the lion's share of the control in any given game, but over 20 years of doing this sort of thing I've realized that if I don't take the reins, the odds of a game fizzling out increases by like a billion percent.
This is why I don't GM group RP anymore because if I don't do absolutely everything, everyone else just doesn't try and it dies no matter how much creative freedom I give them.

People that say they enjoy OOC but clearly do not enjoy OOC like you give one-word answers to pretty much everything, there is never anything you want to talk about RP related or otherwise and now I feel like I'm being annoying and bothering you.

I have this issue so much - I generally consider myself on the sociable side and I love making friends with RP partners - the best partners I've had are people who I've come to know outside of RP (via playing video games, etc). We'll come together to share things like music and talk about our day, and when you're feeling as though the other person is a friend everything just feels wonderful. I get that some people are shy but please just say something if I'm being nosy or overexcited, otherwise I'll just be paranoid that I'm annoying you.

I promise I won't feel offended or anything - but please just say something haha ;; it unnerves me when it feels like I'm just talking into a silent room.

Honestly I don't get why people think it's so important to always win inn an RP like sure it's cool to try pout your combat ideas and have them pay off but to the point where you feel like you need to cheat? It's like when people rage quit in player matches, I mean it's not ranked and it doesn't go on your record so what exactly do you have to lose or gain from doing this?
I do story building 1x1 RP. Making a story together, no experience points, no competition. Just making a story with character interacting with other characters and ideas and environment. Preferably discussions OOC. So when the person has a huge gotta win mentality it won't work. It just leads to meta gaming, rail roading and shoving against rules and what the other person types.

A bad case of this was a guy that started off the first leg of the RP really great suddenly changed gears without discussion. He said they were taking a boat one place and then had it stop and get stuck elsewhere. The whole plot he wanted was heavily political which I hate. Had no points that really took my characters into account. And he would not discuss story OOC wanting to leave things for surprise, hold up to complain I missed info, which I didn't. I just had my characters miss it as they were in a very strange place with systems they didn't understand. It turned to him literally trying to force me to play out of character and even bend the no hurting characters without permission by wording moves as impossible to dodge and getting annoyed I ignored the wording and called him out. I don't intend to kill a character I am having fun playing. Trying to discuss the issues and his change in play just made him try to use meta knowledge to force me to break character. It was all about him making my characters do stuff they wouldn't do, and not in a flow with the story conflict fashion. Just, he had to win this.

They were also trying to hard to force OOC real life politic arguments, not discussions, they were trying to start arguments. And were annoyed I simply put I don't talk politics. And would start "joke" debates on silly things but them make them uncomfortable by getting annoyed they "Won" but I didn't take it seriously.

I finally just ended it and told him I was done. This game was obviously not going to be fun for me again and it's not a game if it's not fun. I didn't feel like I was playing my characters in this as he literally seemed to have turned this into some self made step by step RP they didn't fit in. I don't do this rail roady crap and I don't use meta knowledge my characters don't have.

Frankly looking back on the discussions and something I saw later I think this person was suddenly very unhappy IRL. I also felt like this had to do with his desperation to GM a game with his friends and he was trying to test play his GMing on me without telling me.

I really dig RP when I can treat it like a game, like a play-by-post tabletop or a sandbox with character growth mechanics. Not so much digging the RPs that are just character-writing anymore, which is kind of a bummer. On one hand, I'm glad I'm figuring out what works for me, but it's also a little bittersweet starting to move away from at least some big part of the hobby that I've been doing for years.

And now I have to do the thing where it's like, "Yeahh, I said I was interested, but as it turns out..." I hate to do it but I gots to eventually.

I've been thinking about a plot so much that it's become bloated and enormously out of scope from the original idea I had planned. Instead of a short story, I'm now asking my player to write a novel.

Why can't I just adhere to the limitations I place upon myself?

People taking control over everything. It's their plot so they don't want any type of input. They have set characters they want played in the way they see fit. The entire roleplay is plotted out from start to finish according to how they want it to be and yet they're looking for partners to help lead the story. No, you just want a body.

1) When you join a roleplay thats very interesting and the other person character bio was amazing and detail and complex. Your expecting the character you know in the character sheet Will be the character you interact with... Right? Nope, not at all.(mostly happen with 1x1 roleplays)

2) When a really well thought out roleplay turns into a overuse d romantic sappy monstrosity just because the "compelling deep and complex" Character went through an "emotional growth" And found "someone who complete them". Ya.....

3) Is it to hard to ask for a roleplay that builds on character interaction, emotion, and conflicts that goes with the world? Do we absolutely have to jump into the romantic relationship thingy? What happened to slow burn? Platonic friendship that's slow burn?

If you can tell, I'm very frustrated on how you find a great roleplay but the people within the roleplay just ruin it and turn it into a sappy romantic thing while you and a few selected others are trying to stay with how the original thing is. (Not here of course, I haven't seen that yet)

3) Is it to hard to ask for a roleplay that builds on character interaction, emotion, and conflicts that goes with the world? Do we absolutely have to jump into the romantic relationship thingy?

Oh I agree. This is a big one for me, too. There is so much more drama to be found in life than exactly who or what you want to rub your crotch on.

I really dig RP when I can treat it like a game, like a play-by-post tabletop or a sandbox with character growth mechanics. Not so much digging the RPs that are just character-writing anymore, which is kind of a bummer. On one hand, I'm glad I'm figuring out what works for me, but it's also a little bittersweet starting to move away from at least some big part of the hobby that I've been doing for years.

And now I have to do the thing where it's like, "Yeahh, I said I was interested, but as it turns out..." I hate to do it but I gots to eventually.
YEEESSS I love RPG RP's!

Oh I agree. This is a big one for me, too. There is so much more drama to be found in life than exactly who or what you want to rub your crotch on.

Wiser words have never been spoken. There is more to a roleplay then romance, you could have a really compelling story if you weren't constantly thinking of who to show senseless or how this dude thinks of you while the rest of us out here thinking of the best strategy to defeat this demon or how to not get killed or even how to get this dude who's really emotional to chill so we can have a drink!

A big pet peeve of mine is people being unnecessarily judgmental and rude about what other people choose to roleplay. I'm not talking about potentially harmful tropes here (that's not a subject I want to touch), I'm just talking about harmless preferences.

I'm also not talking about simply not liking a genre or aspect of roleplaying, and therefore choosing not to engage with that aspect; that's completely fine and valid. For example, I don't really like fandom roleplays and probably wouldn't ever join one (with very few exceptions), but I don't think that somehow makes me a better writer or player than people who do like fandom roleplays. It just means we have different preferences, and as long as we're both respectful of each other's choices, there's absolutely no problem.

But I am talking about people who don't personally like a genre of roleplay or story element, so they act condescending towards those roleplayers and disparage that type of roleplay whenever they get the chance. I'm talking about the people who put on an air of superiority, because they think people who enjoy genres that they personally don't like are somehow inferior writers. There are people who's attitude seems to be, "I don't like this thing, and if you like it, you're silly/boring/a bad writer," and that frustrates me to no end.

No one should ever feel pressured into trying a roleplay they're not interested in, but there's a huge difference between saying "this isn't really my thing, so no thanks" and openly mocking people who do like that thing.

You can dislike something without being rude and obnoxious about it.

Last edited:
A big pet peeve of mine is people being unnecessarily judgmental and rude about what other people choose to roleplay....

I have a rule for life; If I believe myself to be of average intelligence (I do) and if I believe that there is a high standard deviation on the spectrum of human intelligence (I do), then I should expect roughly half the people I meet to be dumber than I am, and of that half I should expect roughly one tenth of them to be so dumb that they would be better off in a zoo.

Human intelligence is so varied. For each brilliant mind there's a person out there who isn't able to figure out how to dig a hole in the ground, nevermind wrap their head around more intangible concepts such as 'everyone has their own unique likes and dislikes.'

If you dig down into the human psyche to that primal instinct we sometimes call the 'id', you won't find anything glorious. You'll find a selfish, violent animal - a shadow of ancestors many thousands of years ago that lived in a much harder world than we do. Everyone fights this creature, and sadly some people have a much easier time of it than others do. The best we can do is have patience with those who are trying to fight their forest fire with a super soaker.

I know I got a little abstract there, but all the same I hope this perspective helps forgive and ignore those rude idiots.

Love your av and custom title!

And this is an excellent point. I see it all the time and it drives me absolutely up the wall. A lot of times when I see it, it's written in someone's RP ad. For example, "I do not write SOL. I already am a normal person with a life, so why would I want to write about boring, realistic characters?"

You can and should specify what you're looking for, but you can do it without taking a dump on the people who happen to enjoy that thing. It's not hard.

"I do not write SOL. I already am a normal person with a life, so why would I want to write about boring, realistic characters?"

...you can do it without taking a dump on the people who happen to enjoy that thing. It's not hard.

On the other hand I personally get a kick out of it when people are unabashedly belligerent about their likes and dislikes, even if they conflict with my own. I don't know what it is, but whenever I encounter someone that has that kind of overpowering hubris I think to myself; "Right on." Haha.

It just occurred to me that ^ this must be why I love tribal internet drama so much. Please someone tell me that they're aware of the whole Harry Potter fanfiction website drama that happened years ago.

People that say they are understanding and would rather be told about whether you lose interest in a roleplay instead being ghosted but when you tell them politely you're no longer interested they flip out, try to guilt trip you, and just become genuinely toxic. Yeah, no thanks.

This one is actually a pet peeve that I have for myself. When I underestimate the amount of time and energy I can invest in a roleplay, then join a bunch not realizing that the schedule conflicts my own life. It's an unhealthy thing to stress over things and ruin my sleep schedule and yet I still keep doing it. I also start feeling guilty when I'm unable to commit to a roleplay.

"okay."

it's a lovely response when i've told you i'm going to write a starter.
it's a perfectly good response when answering a question that only needs a yes or no answer.
it is not a good response when i'm trying to ask you about genres, plot points, etc.

OUR PRIME EXAMPLE ;;

ME: so, would you prefer something more along the lines of urban magic and/or medieval fantasy
or something more engrained in a sense of normalcy / realism whether it be modern or period-esque?

THEM: okay.

i .. no, i'm asking for your opinion. i need you to specify here. which is it?
genuinely, it near guarantees i'm not going to continue working with you as a partner.
roleplay's collaborative, i need you to COMMUNICATE with me, dang it.

Not a particular thing that's happening to me right now, but when a few players in a group RP plot to the exclusion of all others. In group RP's everyone should be made to feel included in the main storyline/plot.

People who try to claim they are helping someone by being a jerk or a creep.

Trying to get you to expand your abilities by bugging you to RP in a style or plot you don't like.

Even worse the ones who try to get your to RP things you aren't comfortable with or find completely taboo or cringe to help you get over it.

It's a game! If it's not fun it's pointless! And no matter how they try to make it into something selfless it's obvious a selfish ploy to get an RP they like.

People who try to claim they are helping someone by being a jerk or a creep.

Trying to get you to expand your abilities by bugging you to RP in a style or plot you don't like.

Even worse the ones who try to get your to RP things you aren't comfortable with or find completely taboo or cringe to help you get over it.

It's a game! If it's not fun it's pointless! And no matter how they try to make it into something selfless it's obvious a selfish ploy to get an RP they like.
Speaking as someone who enjoys exploring otherwise sensitive or taboo subjects in writing, I would never force it upon those who are uncomfortable with it. That's just plain disrespect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back