Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate when people refuse to call me Da-Pizza-Boi

But seriously, I dislike working on extremely lengthy character sheets.
Ahhhhh very this.

I tend to bullshit most of the sheets (especially the bio) because I want to get them done but also because every time I make a character, when I play them there's so much I want to change later.

I'm a huge fan of character sheets without a personality section or a bio section because I just adore learning about them through writing with them.

My other pet peeve is I really find it difficult when people want to plot things to pretty much the T. I don't like plotting that much, a general gist or goal is fine, but I am a very daydreamy person and once we've plotted out a lot of stuff from back to front I've basically already roleplayed it in my mind. I like to learn through characters and so sometimes don't even want to know the history of someone else because it's something I'd like to learn as I'm rping. Very immersive for me, so plotting is a huge put off. So boring. If I wanted to write a story in bullet points, I would.
This is actually a really unpopular opinion I've learned. It's really hard to find people that just want to improvise. So many rpers get so excited about plotting instead of actually writing, and I've had people get ANGRY at me for not wanting to plot out a romance in a group RP before the RP even starts.

I don't like plotting. I love being surprised and discovering new things.

When people try to completely act like I'm not giving idea for a plot, when I'm trying to help make it into something half decent and they're like "No, that won't work, No, We can't do that."

This is actually a really unpopular opinion I've learned. It's really hard to find people that just want to improvise. So many rpers get so excited about plotting instead of actually writing, and I've had people get ANGRY at me for not wanting to plot out a romance in a group RP before the RP even starts.

I don't like plotting. I love being surprised and discovering new things.
Oh... my goodness. You and me both. My last role play was literally torn asunder by someone who couldn't handle small flexibility in role-playing. This person had the entire role play set in their mind and...Oh my....lord.Goddess help you. She literally had a full-blown mental breakdown over changes. ( I mean that in a serious sense. She actually broke down. And it actually destroyed our friendship for good) This person had pretty much ruined every role-play I made. To the point, I would make sacred accounts or block their number and email. We were friends since I was like sixteen years old. I'm in my thirties now and THAT was VERY unfortunate. A thirty-year-old could not gather themselves to muster the strength to be flexible and not be the center of attention in a story....It's so obnoxious.

NO ONE should have to sacrifice mental health for a story. It's a two-way street. I have had way too many people play with my emotions for a freaking storyline.

Sorry for the vent but I felt this. Sincerely. If you ever role play with me. Be prepared for curves and changes because I do not follow a completely linear storyline.... <,<....>.>

See I have had the opposite problem. I had two partners in the past that made me completely give up on not having pre-planning stages.

The first person literally admitted that they were making changes just to get a rise out of their partners. Like they would basically make it impossible for my character to respond just to see how long it would take me to call them out on it in the OOC.

The second person was a little nice but she would give these passive aggressive asides. Like oh it’s a shame you didn’t follow this plot line that I made up on the spot because I was gonna have this really cool reveal down the line.

And when I rightly called her out “Like hey if you wanna do a reveal just tell me we need to follow this particular plot line.” She was always like “oh I wanted it to be a surprise.

it got to the point where I couldn’t make any decisions in either roleplay because the other person was refusing to give me any kind of clear messaging.

For me I can't stand when people search for new roleplays yet haven't replied to me in a week.
Or when someone just can't type out a word, using "u" instead of "you" just irks me

This RP I'm in where no one actually RPs, but they do make new characters every day just to never use them. I've been waiting for a response to my post for a week, and in that time the person I'm waiting on has made 4 new characters and is still trying to think of new ones.

I had this partner who consistently used to try and one up my character in terms of trauma. Oh your character had a rough relationship with their mother? WELL BOTH MY CHARACTERS PARENTS LOCKED HIM UP AND BEAT HIM. Oh your character has some issues with self image and self worth? WELL MY CHARACTER HATES EVERY PART OF THEMSELVES. Oh your character struggles with a nicotine addiction? WELL MY CHARACTER IS ADDICTED TO METH AND HEROIN AND- You get the point.

I'm not saying that characters have to be equal in terms of trauma. But this wasn't preplanned or even had much to do with the story. I had my points in my character sheet and whenever I mentioned something in the rp, it was instantly a tragic and emotional scene about how tragic their character was, even if it threw off the tone of the scene completely.

I had this partner who consistently used to try and one up my character in terms of trauma. Oh your character had a rough relationship with their mother? WELL BOTH MY CHARACTERS PARENTS LOCKED HIM UP AND BEAT HIM. Oh your character has some issues with self image and self worth? WELL MY CHARACTER HATES EVERY PART OF THEMSELVES. Oh your character struggles with a nicotine addiction? WELL MY CHARACTER IS ADDICTED TO METH AND HEROIN AND- You get the point.

I'm not saying that characters have to be equal in terms of trauma. But this wasn't preplanned or even had much to do with the story. I had my points in my character sheet and whenever I mentioned something in the rp, it was instantly a tragic and emotional scene about how tragic their character was, even if it threw off the tone of the scene completely.
Honestly if I were you I'd be tempted to have my character go "... Oh. I'm sorry, it sounds like you have a lot of stuff to work out. Anyway, as I was saying..." XD

Honestly if I were you I'd be tempted to have my character go "... Oh. I'm sorry, it sounds like you have a lot of stuff to work out. Anyway, as I was saying..." XD
They made SUCH a big scene of it. Like my character and his character would be joking around in the classroom and then BOOM tears, screaming, heaving, sobbing, running out the class. Honestly I was laughing as I made my poor character play along XD

They made SUCH a big scene of it. Like my character and his character would be joking around in the classroom and then BOOM tears, screaming, heaving, sobbing, running out the class. Honestly I was laughing as I made my poor character play along XD
😂 I thought my character was edgy considering she has two of the three issues you originally stated, but I can't say I've had her flip the entire room on its head! Again, I'd be tempted just to have the character be bewildered and/or call the police lolol

Not that it would do much good, but c'mon, you couldn't get away with that stuff in the real world! People don't typically react well to what sounds like a temper tantrum at best, and at worst a psychotic break lolol.

😂 I thought my character was edgy considering she has two of the three issues you originally stated, but I can't say I've had her flip the entire room on its head! Again, I'd be tempted just to have the character be bewildered and/or call the police lolol

Not that it would do much good, but c'mon, you couldn't get away with that stuff in the real world! People don't typically react well to what sounds like a temper tantrum at best, and at worst a psychotic break lolol.
Oh of course! My characters are rarely the most stable and mood changes aren't uncommon but it's just this particular partner didn't allow me to do anything other than feel bad for their character. If I tried to divert back to the story, the character would get mad and cause more of a scene.

Disruptions are inevitable with unstable characters but when it's disrupting the story and the fact that I had no idea their character was going to be like this at all, not the best experience I'll say XD

This RP I'm in where no one actually RPs, but they do make new characters every day just to never use them. I've been waiting for a response to my post for a week, and in that time the person I'm waiting on has made 4 new characters and is still trying to think of new ones.
Sounds like this person should just stick to novel or fan fic writing. They can create as many characters as they want to put into the stories.

Bruh it is so surreal when partners do this.

It doesn't even annoy me anymore, it just gets me baffled. I am just sitting there wondering if I should tell them that they don't have to compete with me. As someone with trauma i tend to not RP with people who treat it like this. Mostly because it is so far from realistic I usually don't know how to make my characters respond, hahaha.

Especially when they cause a scene/are super vocal about it. I know it's usually used for pity points/keeping their character the center of attention, and if they can find a partner that doesn't mind it then more power to them. But I personally really dislike it.

Bonus points if they get mad OOC when your character reacts realistically and backs away slowly.

Gonna add just one more here. I'm feeling a bit cranky this morning. =)
When you code the loving bread crumbs for a role play and no one applies and those who have go radio silent.
I am so bloody tired. That and people flocking to discord. It's so incredibly ridiculous. One, not everyone has access to that type of technology. Two, not everyone wants access to that technology. Having someone attached to my hip leaves me feeling toxically controlled. No. I'm not going to plot three hours at one in the morning with you when I should be sleeping for work. I just miss the days when you could write a post without plotting with anyone. And THAT was not an issue. Not to mention in discord its riddled with bullying. I like forum ooc where they can be monitored by the site owners. It just makes much more sense.
UUUHHHHHHHHHHHGGGG I feel like the era of true good role playing. You know those one's that last like three years with large chunky posts.
I think they are lost forever folks and I've seen this trend for a while. Even through the pandemic. I'm very suprised

Daisie Daisie can confirm I used to work at a library where we would get people having a mental breakdown or throwing tantrums about petty shitty. And depending on the severity of the disruption we did actually call the local sheriff. (Mostly cuz one of the ladies was married to them but still).

I am actually reminded of those people whenever I see spotlight characters. Basically characters designed to keep the spotlight purely on their player and no one else.

Like it just bleeds entitlement or insecurity and it’s kinda sad. I used to try to reach out to them but now I just leave. Like “oh well we aren’t compatible after all” and go on my way.

I don’t have the energy to be someone’s unpaid therapist anymore.

Gonna add just one more here. I'm feeling a bit cranky this morning. =)
When you code the loving bread crumbs for a role play and no one applies and those who have go radio silent.
I am so bloody tired. That and people flocking to discord. It's so incredibly ridiculous. One, not everyone has access to that type of technology. Two, not everyone wants access to that technology. Having someone attached to my hip leaves me feeling toxically controlled. No. I'm not going to plot three hours at one in the morning with you when I should be sleeping for work. I just miss the days when you could write a post without plotting with anyone. And THAT was not an issue. Not to mention in discord its riddled with bullying. I like forum ooc where they can be monitored by the site owners. It just makes much more sense.
UUUHHHHHHHHHHHGGGG I feel like the era of true good role playing. You know those one's that last like three years with large chunky posts.
I think they are lost forever folks and I've seen this trend for a while. Even through the pandemic. I'm very suprised

If it helps I don’t think discord is that prevalent in 1x1. At least I don’t run into it. And the nature of the medium means you can adjust your post rate to your partners schedule.

And considering how many people I have to drop because they don’t do any plotting at all your safe in that regard as well.

It's kinda why we have Off-site Ads as a separate section. So that people who want to rp on Discord only could have easier time looking for partners with the same preference, and people who want to stay on the site can check the section with search threads for on-site rp or those who don't have clear preference for off-site and are okay staying on the site.
For many people Discord is more convenient but there are also a lot of those who would prefer to not leave the site at all, be it for BBCode, security, or other reasons.

Back in the day when there was only one search area for both on-site and off-site I found it very annoying that every other thread was "Discord-only" when you wanted to just find someone to rp on the site and had to check a lot of threads until you find one that wasn't 'Discord-only'. lol So I wouldn't say that Discord is not prevalent in 1x1s, it's actually very common.

If it helps I don’t think discord is that prevalent in 1x1. At least I don’t run into it. And the nature of the medium means you can adjust your post rate to your partners schedule.

And considering how many people I have to drop because they don’t do any plotting at all your safe in that regard as well.
Right like I wish I could do one on ones. I have once. The experience was mixed. But I am starting to think I may have to go that route. Just my plotlines tends to be dond better in groups. But I hVe given thought to lots of less bullying and drama with one. I just so detest discord. People are pretty no holds bar in that medium.. :(

Right like I wish I could do one on ones. I have once. The experience was mixed. But I am starting to think I may have to go that route. Just my plotlines tends to be dond better in groups. But I hVe given thought to lots of less bullying and drama with one. I just so detest discord. People are pretty no holds bar in that medium.. :(

I also think Discord itself is substantially better with just one other person. As you don’t really get a lot of needy or bullying behavior. I think the worst I have had Discord-wise with 1x1 is people just forget to check in and end up ghosting (and tbh that can happen on site as well).

I never did a group roleplay on discord but I have been a part of servers in the past and they do seem to bring out a lot of clique-y highschool bullshit.

I think it can happen in general with groups but I will agree Discord dials it up to eleven.

One of the most annoying things I have encountered while roleplaying is that some people love responding with ”I don’t know” to every single question. For example:

- What would you like to RP about?
- I don’t know.

- What do you think about this and that?
- I don’t know.

- Would you like us to add this and that to our RP?
- I don’t know.

- Do you enjoy what we have been doing so far?
- I don’t know.

- Are you willing to spend some time thinking about what we have discussed so far?
- I don’t know.

- Are you willing to put some effort into our RP at all?
- I don’t know.

- Are you going to give me any other answer?
- I don’t know.

This is my biggest annoyance and so SO many people do this! Someone finally said what I've been trying to say in a better way than I could say it:

"I dislike when people have their characters ask multiple things and also respond to multiple things in one post, and then the other character has to either pick just one thing to respond to, or have their entire conversation in weird chunks, for the sake of post length. It's jarring and completely obliterates any natural, conversational flow."

"Usually I have to pretend my char has just sat there listening to all of it drip and drab out, and then they comment in summary, or I'll say that my char was fixated on one thing said, and will just reply to that."

It can get infuriating and unfortunate because sometimes I'll want to react to one thing the other character has said, but by the end of their post they've completely moved on.

I’ve had some experience roleplaying on another site and let me tell you, I have a lot of pet peeves-

1. When someone DEMANDS you to say something! Someone I roleplayed with told me I HAD to tell their character mine liked them and would end up being their mate (cause it was a warrior cat rp) even though I told them, that they ALREADY HAD A MATE. Like sheesh. If they say no, then they say no. But I said no so, my character DOESN’T have to be their mate 😩

2. When someone says your character is to OP just because they can fight well- Just cause the character can fight well, doesn’t mean they win every battle! It either means the practiced, got into a lot of fights and learned. Or took fighting classes like bro-

3. When they play your character even though they aren’t an important role, and isn’t actually needed, just there✨ Someone said my character was a lesbian, because she was forced to kiss her best friend in front of her parents, and put in their reply “ “Yes, I am dating her, because I’m a lesbian and I’m proud!” Replied *insert character name* , holding a lesbian pride flag, blushing. ” (and just to tell you, she was ace/aro….)

4. They kill/damage your character REALLY BADLY without your permission first. Just don’t do this…it’s annoying.

5. When people told me I can’t do something even thought they just did it! Ofc I can make my character say something about the LGBTQ+ community if I want to! I’m not hating on it, in fact, I’m apart of it (cause of my gender/sexuality) so obv I don’t wanna hate on it!

6. They make their character the main character in their own story, even though there’s no plot, and it’s just living…

7. They change the rules mid-rp with you 😩 why would you do that?! I don’t know the new rule/s if you don’t tell me they changed of something! Like, don’t do that, or tell me 🙄

8. They speak another language…..(it’s not bad that you speak another language, but i don’t understand anything that isn’t English so it bugs me when they write something in another language cause it could be something really important…)

9. …they tell everyone that their characters are gonna die, but their characters won’t… 😭 why would you kill everyone else’s characters except yours!? That’s not really fair…

10. You must have read 5-10 books on a fandom to join…. I only read 4 books of the warrior cat series cause I didn’t have access to more 🥲 Reading at least 2-1 books, and understanding the code of some sort or something-

11. T h e y. G i v e. Y o u. A. L i n k. T o. A n o t h e r. W e b s i t e. T o. C o n t i n u e. R o l e p l a y i n g. W i t h. t h e m! Just don’t…I’m on the website for a reason. I guess I’m not continuing the roleplay with you 😒

When someone tries to punish their partner when things don't go the way they thought it would by making something happen in the story for drama affect. Then getting upset it doesn't work how they hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back