Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jannah Jannah that’s actually not a fandom thing tbf. I do fandoms exclusively and the characters never meet pre-roleplay either. The few times they have met prior to the roleplay is more to do with having pre-established romance than anything.

So if I am understanding the problem correctly it seems like the partner just wasn’t paying attention to VXNTAS VXNTAS posts at all. To the extent they hadn’t bothered to absorb the pre-planning done before the roleplay began.

Which yeah makes me want to scream too. I rarely get it to that extent but there are definitely people I talk to who wait until the very last minute to reveal they haven’t been playing the least amount of attention to anything I have set up.

It means I have gotten into the habit of over correcting lately. I reiterate multiple times “Okay so just so I am clear we’re are doing blah blah blah”. It might get a little annoying for my partner but I at least know they read the premise (or if they didn’t they have no excuse and I block them)

People who ghosted me before coming back into my DMs wanting another RP. nah...

People who ghosted me before coming back into my DMs wanting another RP. nah...
To be fair, sometimes real life happens. Maybe they simply disappeared because something came up and they enjoyed the RP you had going.

To be fair, sometimes real life happens. Maybe they simply disappeared because something came up and they enjoyed the RP you had going.
They were looking for other partners as they were ghosting.

They were looking for other partners as they were ghosting.

In cases like those I usually just assume the player lost interest in the RP. It happens. My RP interests are shifting quite a bit, or perhaps I'll get into a RP where my vision for it isn't quite working out.

Idk, I do tend to be more tolerant of ghosting than most people too.

1. "Are you ok with (thing I said I'm ok with in my rules)?"
YES, didn't you read my freakin' search post? It was stated right there that I'm fine with that very thing! Did you even read it?! I didn't write that stuff for it to get ignored, you know! Do you need to borrow my eyes for a second
To be fair, I've been on the reverse side of this (I.e people getting upset at me for daring to assume they were fine with something that their search thread clearly stated that they were) so many times that I always ask people if they're fine with something regardless if their search threads says they are.

To be fair, I've been on the reverse side of this (I.e people getting upset at me for daring to assume they were fine with something that their search thread clearly stated that they were) so many times that I always ask people if they're fine with something regardless if their search threads says they are.
At that point, it's their own fault. If they want to say they're okay with something and then flip out when it's mentioned, someone's gotta point out their search thread and beat them to death confront 'em.

Ok I get that you 'have a life', but if you have literally no spare time and are not interested in making time to post - don't join (and especially don't create) a group RP!!!

Lately I have been very much craving a RP set during WW II. I'm hesitant to put up an interest check, though, since it's hard to get interest around here for that sort of thing.

I've been looking for one more partner - I like to keep 3-4 roleplays at a time in the summer months and I have 2 in R&D with a 3rd on hiatus. I've gotten some interest, it's just been for some older plots that I used to like, but just haven't been feeling lately. I never used to be this choosy with roleplays.. maybe it's because I'm getting older and my interests are changing? It's almost like a weird mental roadblock that I can't seem to get over. I don't know if it's necessarily a pet peeve, more so just something weird lately.

I've been looking for one more partner - I like to keep 3-4 roleplays at a time in the summer months and I have 2 in R&D with a 3rd on hiatus. I've gotten some interest, it's just been for some older plots that I used to like, but just haven't been feeling lately. I never used to be this choosy with roleplays.. maybe it's because I'm getting older and my interests are changing? It's almost like a weird mental roadblock that I can't seem to get over. I don't know if it's necessarily a pet peeve, more so just something weird lately.
Don't worry about it, I feel this. I'm usually picky about the RP's I take on too,

1. my constant fear that I'm going to do something wrong! I've been Roleplaying for years, but I've never been the kind of person to take charge or plot, and I have always wanted to change that. I'm starting to now - barely - and it's so scary, but Im done being upset with myself for going along with plots that I didn't actually like. it feels good to put in input, but I hate my lack of courage

2. the lack of animal rps here. Ive been craving a wolf roleplay (and dragon tbh) but I never see that sort of thing. :[

2. the lack of animal rps here. Ive been craving a wolf roleplay (and dragon tbh) but I never see that sort of thing. :[
Have you tried making any interest checks for this sort of thing? If not, it's worth a shot. I know what it's like to have niche RP interests, though. It makes it rather difficult to find partners.

Have you tried making any interest checks for this sort of thing? If not, it's worth a shot. I know what it's like to have niche RP interests, though. It makes it rather difficult to find partners.
haven't. I've been doing a lot of looking and glancing through searches, but I have a feeling I either 1. won't find anyone or 2. will find someone, but they won't fit what im looking for. not to mention that I am definitely am not comfortable enough to set up a group roleplay or come up with a possible plot basis. my own fault, fs lmao

I'd love a dragon roleplay, but the ones that crop up aren't usually to my tastes.
When I was a kid I had an epic fantasy story I was writing that had dragons as the main characters. Looking back, though, I realized that it was basically your generic high fantasy story, but with dragons instead of humans, elves, etc. Could have made an okay RP I suppose had it not been for the battle royale elements. Battle royale centred RP's are always tough because very few players are willing to kill off characters, especially not early on in a story. I don't really do much fantasy RP now either so I doubt it's something I'd actually want to GM at this point.

Last edited:
One fandom RP-ing pet peeve coming up: when the region in used in the RP shares the same name with a canonical one in the fandom but described by the GM as a totally different one from the canon.

Case in point: Ransei from Pokemon. For those who have played Pokemon Conquest, this is what Ransei would look like to them:
tumblr-nycd715-Pio1u9gd7xo1-400.jpg
And yet, the GM reimagined it as basically Kanto with different names for towns and cities.
pokemon_kanto_map_hgss_by_cow41087_d3d00i0-fullview.jpg
Seriously GM, why didn't you tell us what your region looks like to begin with? 😡

Last edited:
1. People who write seemingly un-ending paragraphs. Long posts are great, I don’t want to read a giant block of text. There’s a reason they don’t do that in most books. (Though I will admit, that used to be me. 😂)

2. People who feel the need to over-explain everything their character does. It’s okay to just be.

3. Characters who mind-read based on information the writer has, not information the character has. I have a character who is empathic and very perceptive as a person. I also have those traits. But that’s not the same thing as literal mind reading. 😂

4. This is so bad, it should be number one: people who talk for my characters. They never get it right. Just ask me what s/he’s say if you want to write that scene yourself. (I don’t have a problem with someone writing that scene. Only the part where they talk for me.)

I don’t know what else. It’s been a while. I rp’ed with the same person for nearly a decade

1. People who write seemingly un-ending paragraphs. Long posts are great, I don’t want to read a giant block of text. There’s a reason they don’t do that in most books. (Though I will admit, that used to be me. 😂)

I used to do that when I was ten, but I have been unable to handle long winded paragraphs that could be broken up in at least twelve sentences. XD I don't meet a whole lot of people who do that, and that's probably for a good thing.

2. People who feel the need to over-explain everything their character does. It’s okay to just be.

*raises hand shamelessly* Mainly because I like going into detail about my character's mental state and explaining their motives that way (it's also to catch metagamers, but given I do this sometimes, ehhhh). Not like that would help at all for my partner, but if they like to see such detail, then I'm happy to oblige. :3

3. Characters who mind-read based on information the writer has, not information the character has. I have a character who is empathic and very perceptive as a person. I also have those traits. But that’s not the same thing as literal mind reading. 😂

Speaking of metagaming, I have a bad habit of doing that. I, too, am a very empathic and perceptive person. I can read someone's face, especially someone I've been with for a while, and understand the emotions and possible thought process going on in their head. I can be wrong though. xD I also tend to give my more uninterested characters the ability to be this perceptive, even though they literally have no need or want to be that perceptive in the first place, especially if the thing they notice doesn't pique their interest at all.

4. This is so bad, it should be number one: people who talk for my characters. They never get it right. Just ask me what s/he’s say if you want to write that scene yourself. (I don’t have a problem with someone writing that scene. Only the part where they talk for me.)
I have only gone through that once. Why do people do that? This isn't a fanfiction. XD This is a collaborative effort between 2+ people. I don't mind little movements my character would make, especially if they ask about it in a discussion prior or if it's something we were already planning on doing, but daaaaayum why do people just "talk" as someone else's character? That's like having permission to play with someone's toy, but then not having the permission to just take it like it's yours. Also, when they auto my characters. Sometimes as an overgeneralization when they use "all" or when they force hits on my characters, which I absolutely despise and will fight against all autoing when that happens by basically retconning/ignoring the auto ever happened. This happens more often than not when I'm battling someone (usually in a Pokemon battle) and they are disingenuous.

Now, my own pet peeves that's not based on a reaction. More like a pet peeve about myself.

I don't like not being able to post. I find myself on the site lurking, but I never have the mental faculties to post. And once I do find the creative juices and start to work on posts and get all of them out in a short amount of time, the small burst of creativity I have just vanishes and I'm left being unable to do anything for around two weeks. It drives me up the wall.

I used to do that when I was ten, but I have been unable to handle long winded paragraphs that could be broken up in at least twelve sentences. XD I don't meet a whole lot of people who do that, and that's probably for a good thing.
Omg! I was so worried about sounding arrogant. It’s been about a decade for me. I did it in high school and college because I didn’t know better and figured the longer the post, the better (which was mostly true), readability be damned, apparently. 😂

*raises hand shamelessly* Mainly because I like going into detail about my character's mental state and explaining their motives that way (it's also to catch metagamers, but given I do this sometimes, ehhhh). Not like that would help at all for my partner, but if they like to see such detail, then I'm happy to oblige. :3

I have some characters with some very active internal thoughts. That’s not really the problem. It’s when they try to explain literally every single twitch their character makes. It’s not interesting for me and actually isn’t even how most people approach life because the reality is, we do stuff sometimes without really knowing why. Not unless I guess you start to analyze yourself to death.

It’s also just a beginning/intermediate writer thing. They’re not confident people will get their meaning, so they over-explain. I try to live by “resist the urge to explain.” I’m not saying I’m perfect but I’m getting better every day. 😊

Speaking of metagaming, I have a bad habit of doing that. I, too, am a very empathic and perceptive person. I can read someone's face, especially someone I've been with for a while, and understand the emotions and possible thought process going on in their head. I can be wrong though. xD I also tend to give my more uninterested characters the ability to be this perceptive, even though they literally have no need or want to be that perceptive in the first place, especially if the thing they notice doesn't pique their interest at all.
I think it’s hilarious you tend to give that trait to characters who don’t want it/won’t use it effectively. 😂 Brooklyn is my empath, but she’s not always right. Like you just said you’re not always right. It’s not realistic for the writer to go off of another character’s internal dialogue. I might be able to sense personality traits and emotions, I might know things that are impossible to know. But even I can’t read another person’s mind. And I may misinterpret what I pick up/see on too. I like the realism of characters totally misunderstanding each other or assuming very off things. 😂

I have only gone through that once. Why do people do that? This isn't a fanfiction. XD This is a collaborative effort between 2+ people. I don't mind little movements my character would make, especially if they ask about it in a discussion prior or if it's something we were already planning on doing, but daaaaayum why do people just "talk" as someone else's character? That's like having permission to play with someone's toy, but then not having the permission to just take it like it's yours. Also, when they auto my characters. Sometimes as an overgeneralization when they use "all" or when they force hits on my characters, which I absolutely despise and will fight against all autoing when that happens by basically retconning/ignoring the auto ever happened. This happens more often than not when I'm battling someone (usually in a Pokemon battle) and they are disingenuous.
I know, right?! My long-time rp partner did this rarely, but I wanted to strangle her when she did it because she responses were so off base, but rp is all about “yes and” like improv so I frequently feel like I just gotta roll with it.
I don't like not being able to post. I find myself on the site lurking, but I never have the mental faculties to post. And once I do find the creative juices and start to work on posts and get all of them out in a short amount of time, the small burst of creativity I have just vanishes and I'm left being unable to do anything for around two weeks. It drives me up the wall.
Here’s what I find to be the perfect cocktail for creativity: read + write all the time. When I’m consistently reading most days, I have so many ideas flowing through my head, I have to keep notes in my phone or I’d never get any sleep. 😂 When I stop reading for even a week? Way fewer ideas. Audiobooks don’t really do it for me. The places in my brain reading lights up must be unique. Also, I cannot stress the importance of writing consistently, like most days.

I did NaNoWriMo several years ago with a friend. When I started, it was a STRUGGLE to write 300 words in a day, but the end third week, I could write 5-6k a day no problem. Also, when I was in hs, I used to rp like nobody’s business. Way more than I paid attention in class. So when it came to writing essay for school, it was a breeze because I was in the habit of writing and organizing my thoughts.

Hope that helps! 😊

Last edited:
When I was a kid I had an epic fantasy story I was writing that had dragons as the main characters. Looking back, though, I realized that it was basically your generic high fantasy story, but with dragons instead of humans, elves, etc. Could have made an okay RP I suppose had it not been for the battle royale elements. Battle royale centred RP's are always tough because very few players are willing to kill off characters, especially not early on in a story. I don't really do much fantasy RP now either so I doubt it's something I'd actually want to GM at this point.
To be fair, dragons are already a staple of generic high fantasy. Just not usually the viewpoint characters.

And yeah, not too big on battles royale for that particular reason. Even if the characters aren't killed when they lose, it usually means they're taken out of the action.

To be fair, dragons are already a staple of generic high fantasy. Just not usually the viewpoint characters.

And yeah, not too big on battles royale for that particular reason. Even if the characters aren't killed when they lose, it usually means they're taken out of the action.
I love the Battle Royale concept, but it just doesn't work well for RP's.

I got one. Idk if anyone else goes through this: but being hyperfixated on one fandom to the point where it's affecting your ability to look for any other type of RP. Double homicide for me considering said fandom is hard enough to come by in terms of RP partners. I'm an absolute clown 🤡🤡🤡

large blocks of text that're mostly paraphrasing/reacting to everything you already in your previous reply and only adding 2 sentences worth of actual dialogue to interact with

i really don't mind being given 2 dialogue sentences because that's how conversations work irl too (you say something, the other person replies to it, you say something else) but what frustrates me is seeing people with a strict "match my length and write 5-9 paragraphs per reply" rule when sometimes, the only way to do it to write reiterations of their reply and add unnatural dialogue to the mix

sometimes, you just gotta write 300 word back-and-forth replies to develop a natural dynamic with the other characters :\

i'm really not criticising anyone who does this because i did too and considered myself a "novella"/adv lit writer because of it. it's something i'm working on now though but i'm ngl it was initially a little difficult breaking out of the "the more you can write, the better writer you are" mindset because the rpers around me had the same one

1. my constant fear that I'm going to do something wrong! I've been Roleplaying for years, but I've never been the kind of person to take charge or plot, and I have always wanted to change that. I'm starting to now - barely - and it's so scary, but Im done being upset with myself for going along with plots that I didn't actually like. it feels good to put in input, but I hate my lack of courage

Have you tried making a topic? It's easier for people to search for RPs. Bumping semi regularly helps. I like animal RPs and looked at your profile but couldn't find your own thread. Being active + maintaining a thread helps find RP partners. 90% of my rps are from people approaching me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back