Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone who tries to convince me why I should like their plot. We were discussing and trying to make it work for both of us, they kept pushing a specific item I really didn't want to do, expressed as such, and tried to convince me of the reasons why I should like it.

No. Thank you.
Many people just don't want to hear that their thing isn't interesting to everyone. I've had people try more than a few times to get me to RP things I hate. Using guilt, hardcore arguments why THEY like it, and even attempt psychology or realism.

Yes! Though I thought of another one I've been suffering from. I really enjoy when the writing is thought through and makes sense. Let me explain - if the character needs to move from one side of the room to the next, can there not be a bit more detail to it than 'getting up and moving to the other side of the room?' What are they thinking, what's in their hands, how do they move, show me who your character is.

That is a very small and simplified example but overall I'm finding it hard to find people to write with who express those little non-verbals that tell me who your character is. Feed me your details. oof

People being passive aggressive OOC, holding grievances but only expressing said grievances as sneakiness or snarkiness instead of putting them forward in a way that something can be done about them.

not exactly a rp pet peeve, but more of an...interest check pet peeve? :’)?

i really don’t like aggressive and or/guilt trippy rp interest checks. i’m sure this was brought up before, but whenever i see a rp interest check have what they want from me before anything about themselves, and it’s all written in that aggressive style where it kinda comes across as insulting rather than “this is what i’m looking for in a partner!”, i instantly don’t want to rp with this person even if we’re a good match. it’s fine having limits, but insulting those who like those things that you don’t is just weirdo behavior.

i don’t care that you don’t like anime faceclaims, but then being like “IF YOU EVEN MILDLY LIKE ANIME DO NOT CONTACT ME!!!!” written to express that is so...strange...and like putting down how other people write. i like long posts! but i know everyone doesn’t, some like only a paragraph. so, i just say “here’s how much I can do, if you can keep up with that/are not intimidated by that post length, then we’ll probably be a good match, i’ll help you if you struggle with writing more to a reply the best i can”, not...”you must be able to write me replies i deem sufficient. no single paragraphs shit roleplayers wanted”...there’s nothing wrong with someone else wanting something different than you do, just make yourself clear what you want without putting down someone else. of course, employing some hyperbole here, but if i get weird vibes from you in your interest check...i don’t want to rp with you, because i assume you will eventually be toxic to me as well for not meeting your lofty standards.

guilt tripping then is employed when people keep on mentioning how much they get ditched/ghosted with rps, and then keep on writing on about how they’re not ghost friendly. that just makes people more scared to tell you they’re not interested, because they expect you to then go on about how everyone leaves you and how they must stay with you or even get angry in cases.

you’re advertising yourself first and foremost in interest checks, i cannot give a fuck about how nice your writing is and how interesting your plots are if you’re an asshole, sorry. i just don’t get why people still think acting like an asshole makes them “cool”, and honestly, whenever they then also mention about how they do strict rules because “no one can meet their expectations”...maybe look at yourself a little. having self awareness is a very good thing to learn to do. if it feels like the entire world is against you...are you sure it’s the world that’s a problem, or something you are doing?

Last edited:
It did, because instead of discussing it like a mature person they and a person who I'm certain they bitched with in DMs left the roleplay. XD Hey ho.
>_> Infamous DM drama... If you can't say it in front of everyone, you shouldn't say it at all.

I'm still angry at my brain for losing ability to write! I have ideas, I have planned the post... but when I get to writing all that comes out is an empty page. :(

Thought of another big one for me.

I love playing as a werewolf (hence the name werepunk!) I have so many werewolf characters. But so many roleplayers still divide werewolves up into alpha, beta, and omega... And it bothers me so much. It's one of my least favorite tropes for a variety of reasons: It's based on a scientific theory that's been thoroughly debunked. It's all too often used to romanticize toxic dynamics (my boyfriend isn't controlling, hyper-aggressive, and abusive! He's just an ~*alpha male*~). And it's a trope that's been done to death, quite frankly-- I just don't have fun writing it anymore.

No shade intended to people who still like a/b/o and omegaverse, of course. It's just pretty frustrating when 95% of werewolf stories involve these tropes, and I have a hard time finding roleplays for my werewolf characters without it.

Thought of another big one for me.

I love playing as a werewolf (hence the name werepunk!) I have so many werewolf characters. But so many roleplayers still divide werewolves up into alpha, beta, and omega... And it bothers me so much. It's one of my least favorite tropes for a variety of reasons: It's based on a scientific theory that's been thoroughly debunked. It's all too often used to romanticize toxic dynamics (my boyfriend isn't controlling, hyper-aggressive, and abusive! He's just an ~*alpha male*~). And it's a trope that's been done to death, quite frankly-- I just don't have fun writing it anymore.

No shade intended to people who still like a/b/o and omegaverse, of course. It's just pretty frustrating when 95% of werewolf stories involve these tropes, and I have a hard time finding roleplays for my werewolf characters without it.

Sadly many things get catorgorized by fandoms and it can be hard to find partners who just let you be original. Werewolves, vampires, lions etc.

Also note that omega verse is banned here. If someone tries to get you to do it you can report it.

People who get upset and aggressive when, during the planning process, you tell them you don’t think you guys are compatible partners. Didn’t know this was a thing, but apparently it is. Like Christ guy, did you want to write a few posts first before I followed my gut and put an end to this anyway? Idk. I always assumed it was better to let someone know ASAP when the vibes aren’t there. Apparently though people like me “ruin the hobby”.

Sibelle Grey Sibelle Grey , I've been there before. There was definitely a period where it was more frequent in my life and I started ghosting in the planning phase because of it...too much of a damn hassle. So you definitely ain't alone in that terrible experience.

People who get upset and aggressive when, during the planning process, you tell them you don’t think you guys are compatible partners. Didn’t know this was a thing, but apparently it is. Like Christ guy, did you want to write a few posts first before I followed my gut and put an end to this anyway? Idk. I always assumed it was better to let someone know ASAP when the vibes aren’t there. Apparently though people like me “ruin the hobby”.
Oof, you dodged a bullet out there, lmao. To be honest, that's why I just stop replying when things go badly in the planning phase.

Lucyfer Lucyfer Syntra Syntra yeah idk why people are like this lmao. I like to keep communication open, so I’d always rather tell someone, but nobody’s taken it this badly before. And I’m just like??? What would you have gained from me not bringing this up? A reluctant partner? A ghost? I would have ended up not roleplaying with them anyway. The fact is, their reaction proves that they were Not It™️. I’m just still in shock :’)

(What annoys me is when someone fights me and doesn't state how they attack me,like how fast or how strong...They just expect everyone to bow down to them and their false rank,saying that they are #1 strongest or some shit,godmodders also piss me off tbh)

My roleplay pet peeve is being ghosted. I understand that roleplaying is merely a hobby, and I myself have ghosted others due to my poor communication skills and fear of confrontation, but I believe it's very important to be honest and not just disappear. It is certainly a good communication skill to be able to tell someone you're not interested or that you merely cannot continue writing due to life commitments. Simply disappearing isn't nice to your partners and leaves them questioning what they did wrong, especially when they're making an effort to respond to you. Though I am highly a hypocrite as I ghosted many a partner earlier this year, and clearly still have not grown out of my own ghosting habits, I am striving to become more honest and encouraging of others to do so.

I don't know maybe it's just me but I feel like one of my recent partners was just like really rude and kind of dishonest. So some things came up and I got busy and wasn't able to reply as one does. I informed them of this and they said it was fine IRL comes first just reply when I can. Cool reasonable even though I wouldn't have been mad if they decided they didn't want to wait on me and move on which I informed them of, again they insisted take my time. So I come back to a message that tells me they're leaving due to ghosting which 1. Is weird because I didn't leave without a word, I clearly told them what was up when it happened so I didn't ghost. Anyway, whatever, I decided I'll go and message them not to start a fight or even ask if we can RP again, just to apologize that my schedule interrupted the roleplay. I know I don't have to apologize for IRL taking priority but I do tend to feel bad about these things and wanted to apologize anyway, turns out they blocked me, I can't see their profile or send them messages. To be clear my business had me away for a little over a week so here is my issue.

1. I didn't ghost them and 2. They clearly felt some kind of way and lied to my face about me being able to take my time and I could be wrong but it feels like they think I wronged them somehow and I'm just trying to figure out...how?

I don't know maybe it's just me but I feel like one of my recent partners was just like really rude and kind of dishonest. So some things came up and I got busy and wasn't able to reply as one does. I informed them of this and they said it was fine IRL comes first just reply when I can. Cool reasonable even though I wouldn't have been mad if they decided they didn't want to wait on me and move on which I informed them of, again they insisted take my time. So I come back to a message that tells me they're leaving due to ghosting which 1. Is weird because I didn't leave without a word, I clearly told them what was up when it happened so I didn't ghost. Anyway, whatever, I decided I'll go and message them not to start a fight or even ask if we can RP again, just to apologize that my schedule interrupted the roleplay. I know I don't have to apologize for IRL taking priority but I do tend to feel bad about these things and wanted to apologize anyway, turns out they blocked me, I can't see their profile or send them messages. To be clear my business had me away for a little over a week so here is my issue.

1. I didn't ghost them and 2. They clearly felt some kind of way and lied to my face about me being able to take my time and I could be wrong but it feels like they think I wronged them somehow and I'm just trying to figure out...how?

Most see ghosting meaning literally vanishing from them while possibly still being online with others. Some people who are usually angry or prone too pity or guilt tripping like to toss the word ghost around regardless of warning or not. Some people like to throw certain words around like they think they mean the other is auto the bad guy.

I was actually accused of ghosting many times in cases of work making me not reply for a few days. I was even accused of it when frankly it was clear I had ended not only the RP but contact in general due to drama. Heck, I was contacted via a second account on a site in one case after I blocked someone because I ghosted them after a clear fight with me stating I was blocking and reporting! If this person doesn't respect IRL maybe you actually got off easy with them cutting off contact.

Most see ghosting meaning literally vanishing from them while possibly still being online with others. Some people who are usually angry or prone too pity or guilt tripping like to toss the word ghost around regardless of warning or not. Some people like to throw certain words around like they think they mean the other is auto the bad guy.

I was actually accused of ghosting many times in cases of work making me not reply for a few days. I was even accused of it when frankly it was clear I had ended not only the RP but contact in general due to drama. Heck, I was contacted via a second account on a site in one case after I blocked someone because I ghosted them after a clear fight with me stating I was blocking and reporting! If this person doesn't respect IRL maybe you actually got off easy with them cutting off contact.
Maybe you're right, it just irritated me because if there was in issue they could have just said so and I'd have understood. Instead they said I ghosted them and blocked me like I just up and left without a word for months.

Hello! I’m new to this thread so I’m not sure if someone has already written this before or not. Besides the usual (people being assholes, etc.) I’m personally not a fan of when people use the same character for every single roleplay. (No offense to people who do that! You do you!) I understand if you have an OC that you like using and you use it for a couple of threads (especially if they’re from a thread that died and you really want to use them again.) However, there’s some people I know who use the same character for every roleplay they’re a part of, only varying them a bit to match the world of the RP. There was one person who I was in two or three roleplays with and they used the same character for every single one. I don’t know. Once again, no flack to these people, but I highly recommend getting out of your comfort zone and trying something new! Challenge yourself with your characters and write something you never thought you would!

Additionally, I’m personally not the biggest fan of people who use pre existing characters as their faceclaims. Like I get it if it’s a character from a live action show or movie (I mean actors do play multiple characters, that’s what they’re known for) but if your faceclaim is let’s say Steven from Steven Universe, I’m only going to see Steven from Steven Universe. It’s personally a bit distracting for me, plus I doubt that your character would look exactly like that fictional character. (Copyright infringement and all that.)

Once again, I’m sorry if I offend anyone who does these things, I’m just not a fan I guess, I dunno. :P

This is more of a me thing right now. I'm in a rut where I only want to RP one fandom and have zero ideas for anything else. I need more RP, but I also don't feel up to having to start the process of "getting to know" a new RP partner and their style. Especially if it ends up being that we don't work out. But again, I also want new RP so I'm stuck lol. Makes me want to bang my head against a wall. RP used to feel so easy for me ._. I think it's IRL stress getting to me tbh

For me, one of things that’s upsetting is when partners expect you to focus solely on the conversation between you and them. Not knowing you may have multiple RPs going on at once. They send multiple messages within a few hours (not even a day after) and when you still don’t respond, maybe even stalk your thread. Then, post after you. Have you ever heard of boundaries? I’ve tried to be kind about this. But if you keep doing it, it’s an automatic block.

Having to correct a persons writing! Like seriously if you are in college write a freaking paragraph noteworthy lines of garbage that makes me mad! Hello I can write two paragraphs from your weak two lines of text you posted. If you say you can write a paragraph, write a paragraph!

I'm honestly just getting tired of trying to get this RP thing started. I'm trying different things, too.

First, I was just happy searching in my comfort zone: looking for a group to join. Advertised left and right about what I was looking for. I didnt want to run anything, just participate. I made multiple request threads. I made compiled request threads. I made request threads asking for co-GMs. Skip several months down the line, and I've given up on that after not getting anywhere.

So breaking out of what I'm comfortable doing, I decide to try and host a group RP all on my own. Not really what I wanted to do. But it seems the only way I'm going to find a scenario/genre mix that I like is to do it myself. At this point and time, I think I've tried at least three or four different ideas for group RP on RPN. None of them even got out of the recruitment phase. And at least one was too complicated, and I didnt have the time to dedicate to runningit, so I gave up on it. So after anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks of no constructive responses to the requests I put out, I canceled them one after another...

...Moving on.

Now, I figured, "Okay, maybe its just not my thing to participate in the groups here. Maybe it's asking too much to get three or four other people in on one of my ideas. I should have better luck if I am looking to get just ONE person on board with something I'd like to do." On top of that, I figure, "Hey, romance stuff seems uber popular in the RP community!" I haven't touched a romance laced plot in yeeeears. But what the hell, it should help my odds, right?

Well... I guess not? Almost at 130 views and not any kind of relevant response or PM or anything that helps me get any closer to getting some roleplaying going. It's been a couple days already and I'm already wanting to put this latest 1x1 request out of its misery.

I've gone from looking for what I wanted (searching for group RP), to compromising and kinda going for something I wanted (running group RP), to getting completely out of my familiar zone of interest (1x1 RP). And at this point, I just don't know what else I can try. And of COURSE, I have scoured other people's requests. If I had found something and joined it, and it had successfully taken off, I wouldn't be making this post. lol

And before anyone chides in saying I should take a break, lemme just say that I'm a few weeks in from coming back from a break (maybe a month or two? I honestly lose track of things like that). I even took another recent mini-break and beat an entire video game before coming back to RP. I've tried other sites too and they are super dead. This place has some pretty high traffic. So if I can't get it done here, I definitely can't get it done on lesser sites.

So yeah. I wouldn't say I'm angry. But I am most definitely frustrated as fuck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back