Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk if it counts but...
Having lots of really cool and really fun ideas for settings but having to put them aside because I cant think of a good story to tell within that setting

This tbh. It seriously makes me wanna ask this to such thread owners: "Are you actually requiring participants to hop into PC for RP-ing? Do you not want mobile users to join in?"

I think for most it’s just not something that occurs to them. I have asked in the past if I could have a version that I can read on my phone and 10/10 times they say “oh I am sorry I didn’t realize this wasn’t viewable on phones. Does this (change) make it better?”

I can understand the frustration of heavily coded threads but I think it's often used as a form of self-expression! There are definitely mobile-friendly ways to add images etc but people genuinely enjoy creating/filling in codes, watching the picture come to life! When someone intends to do so, a pretty code can convey as much information about the person or the atmosphere within the story as the text itself! It's just fun and emerging for a lot of people! (Most of the time I see people who enjoy coding mention that they don't expect their partners to do so as well!)

I don't think anyone ever aims to exclude people, like someone mentioned above. If you think that the interest check might be something that you'd like to read and are unable to you can always ask for a mobile friendly version (which is frequently included, but sometimes people spend so long working on the code that they are just happy to post it and move away from the thread!). If you'd prefer not to wait, you can click on the reply button and scroll down in the text box to see the text within the interest check presented there c:
I think this applies to people putting up responses in small text as well. In group & 1x1 settings, if it's something that makes it difficult or unpleasant for you to read the post you can always communicate that and ask for the text to be bigger from then on! I think people are generally very happy to accommodate their partners!

In terms of roleplay pet peeves, something that has bothered me in the past is someone that presented 'sample posts' that weren't their own without disclosing that because they were 'close enough' to their writing style (we had to agree to disagree there) c:

I can understand the frustration of heavily coded threads but I think it's often used as a form of self-expression! There are definitely mobile-friendly ways to add images etc but people genuinely enjoy creating/filling in codes, watching the picture come to life! When someone intends to do so, a pretty code can convey as much information about the person or the atmosphere within the story as the text itself! It's just fun and emerging for a lot of people! (Most of the time I see people who enjoy coding mention that they don't expect their partners to do so as well!)

I don't think anyone ever aims to exclude people, like someone mentioned above. If you think that the interest check might be something that you'd like to read and are unable to you can always ask for a mobile friendly version (which is frequently included, but sometimes people spend so long working on the code that they are just happy to post it and move away from the thread!). If you'd prefer not to wait, you can click on the reply button and scroll down in the text box to see the text within the interest check presented there c:
I think this applies to people putting up responses in small text as well. In group & 1x1 settings, if it's something that makes it difficult or unpleasant for you to read the post you can always communicate that and ask for the text to be bigger from then on! I think people are generally very happy to accommodate their partners!

In terms of roleplay pet peeves, something that has bothered me in the past is someone that presented 'sample posts' that weren't their own without disclosing that because they were 'close enough' to their writing style (we had to agree to disagree there) c:

I agree with this entirely. I was going to comment myself because there was some content that I personally found to be a bit contradicting and wanted to ( potentially ) spread an alternative insight but you did great. There's really not much I can add.

Honestly, coding is fine, if you like that and if your partners like that too, but expecting someone to jump through extra hoops to read your writing because your coding is not fit for purpose is kinda selfish.

The phrase ' jumping through extra hoops ' is completely subjective. That statement doesn't apply to all people, it applies to you ( and people whom agree with you which is, ultimately, valid ) so whether it is selfish or not, is also. I think to vocalize this as a general blanket statement is not correct. There are multiple different font sizes, so that it caters to the multiple different users and their creative expression. I know it seems like an unfair concept but everyone's goal is not to involve everyone ( but sometimes, only likeminded people ) and that's alright. For example, your preference is bigger text because it's more legible to you. Theirs is smaller text because it's more appealing to them ( and generally the standard font of whatever coding they're using ) Preference does not equate to purposeful exclusion. This is your personal problem and your personal preference. Crayons Crayons But I do want to mention that when I make a search thread with bbcode, I also copy and paste a regular page underneath it with all of the same information so others can read it. So consideration is possible. Some people just aren't... considerate of it. I don't think weeding out non-likeminded writers makes anyone selfish. lmao

Last edited:
Honestly, coding is fine, if you like that and if your partners like that too, but expecting someone to jump through extra hoops to read your writing because your coding is not fit for purpose is kinda selfish.
In my personal opinion, suggesting that people who choose to code (since the option is available on this platform and is explored by a big portion of users) are selfish because they don’t cater to a specific group of people is well...selfish. If someone was considering writing with me and found that asking me to provide a phone friendly version of a code or pressing the reply button as ‘jumping through hoops’, I’d have to wonder how much much effort they would be willing to put into our story. Coding ≠ a great writing partner but throwing around terms like ‘selfish’ when covering quite a large portion of writers on this website is rather unreasonable. I was providing a different perspective to the one that was mentioned and was suggesting a simple solution for approaching a challenge like that if you chose to, not stating that it’s your responsibility to read posts that use code. I’m glad you consider it to be fine though c:

The phrase ' jumping through extra hoops ' is completely subjective. That statement doesn't apply to all people, it applies to you ( and people whom agree with you which is, ultimately, valid ) so whether it is selfish or not, is also. I think to vocalize this as a general blanket statement is not correct. There are multiple different font sizes, so that it caters to the multiple different users and their creative expression. I know it seems like an unfair concept but everyone's goal is not to involve everyone ( but sometimes, only likeminded people ) and that's alright. For example, your preference is bigger text because it's more legible to you. Theirs is smaller text because it's more appealing to them ( and generally the standard font of whatever coding they're using ) Preference does not equate to purposeful exclusion. This is your personal problem and your personal preference. Crayons Crayons But I do want to mention that when I make a search thread with bbcode, I also copy and paste a regular page underneath it with all of the same information so others can read it. So consideration is possible. Some people just aren't... considerate of it. I don't think weeding out non-likeminded writers makes anyone selfish. lmao

In my personal opinion, suggesting that people who choose to code (since the option is available on this platform and is explored by a big portion of users) are selfish because they don’t cater to a specific group of people is well...selfish. If someone was considering writing with me and found that asking me to provide a phone friendly version of a code or pressing the reply button as ‘jumping through hoops’, I’d have to wonder how much much effort they would be willing to put into our story. Coding ≠ a great writing partner but throwing around terms like ‘selfish’ when covering quite a large portion of writers on this website is rather unreasonable. I was providing a different perspective to the one that was mentioned and was suggesting a simple solution for approaching a challenge like that if you chose to, not stating that it’s your responsibility to read posts that use code. I’m glad you consider it to be fine though c:

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you like coding and you want a partner who likes coding it's all cool hombres. Likewise if you don't. That's a choice you can make.

If you are doing what dear katara mentioned and expecting people who can't read your code for whatever reason be that choice of device, eye ability, or whatever to trawl through your raw code to find the content of your post, then that is selfish.

Imo if someone thinks that having to find their content in a pile of coding is somehow indicative of rp effort then they are barking up the wrong tree. Putting effort into creating stories is not the same as putting in unnecessary effort because your partner can't be bothered to provide their text in a legible manner.

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you like coding and you want a partner who likes coding it's all cool hombres. Likewise if you don't. That's a choice you can make.

If you are doing what dear katara mentioned and expecting people who can't read your code for whatever reason be that choice of device, eye ability, or whatever to trawl through your raw code to find the content of your post, then that is selfish.

Imo if someone thinks that having to find their content in a pile of coding is somehow indicative of rp effort then they are barking up the wrong tree. Putting effort into creating stories is not the same as putting in unnecessary effort because your partner can't be bothered to provide their text in a legible manner.
Like I said in the post above (feel free to scroll up c: ), I don’t expect people to go out of their way and mentioned more than once that everyone I know who codes is happy to accomodate, provide mobile friendly versions, not code, make their font whatever size you prefer.
Communication is a wonderful tool!

Name’s Anna btw, since it feels like you’re comfortable enough with making assumptions about my character and intentions.

Thanks for your time c:

(PS, not sure if ‘can’t be bothered’ is phrase you’re looking for since these people often spend a while ‘bothering’ to code to make the experience a little bit extra enjoyable for themselves and others. I reiterate (as mentioned in my post above), I haven’t seen people make it difficult to read on purpose, nor hold any expectations for people to read through raw code. I specifically stated that it’s an option for people who would not like to wait for a mobile version to become available.)

I'm not sure whether you blatantly ignored the portion where I explicitly targeted ' what I do ' as a means of pushing your perspective or if, by chance, you didn't see it? I'm not sure what happened there. Your argument is getting wishy washy so I'm unsure as to your actual stance? Did you not understand what I was saying? I'm not sure how to respond here. 😂 A raw code is like what I am typing here and now so there would be no reason to ' trawl ' through it? Did you mean the bbcode? This first statement was very convoluted so I need you to clarify what you meant. Or you can ignore it. It's not so important, honestly.

It can be indicative of roleplaying effort but considering the fact that this entire conversation can only be based off of opinion and she was stating hers, as you've given yours, I'd say it's relatively fair. I also find that the manner in which you pinpointed on her opinion as a means of demeaning her, comes off as personally attacking her and not the topic at hand. It doesn't make sense that you said, ' barking up the wrong tree.' This entire thing revolves around your opinion of not being interested in people using small font because you find them selfish ( and insulted their personal tastes in aesthetic ) so the prospect of them barking up the wrong tree doesn't exist. Because you've already given up interest before any exchange can begin? But I won't get into the logistics of a hypothetical!

unnecessary effort because your partner can't be bothered to provide their text in a legible manner.

Considering there are a ton of people that find it quite legible, I'd say it's still a you problem. I've also noticed that you're flipping between ' roleplay searches ' and actually having an official partner you're consistently writing with, so again, I'm not sure which you're referring to. It seems strange to me that a person decided they did want to write with this person ( whom is attracted to smaller text ) and that they didn't just bring it to their attention that their text was a bit too small for their preference after the first post? Is this not a pretty reasonable request?

It's my opinion that someone who judges me as an entirety for using a ' smaller text ' is not someone I would want to write with in the first place. But that sounds a little harsh and ridiculous, doesn't it?

To call people whom fit this category ' ableist ' is a gross misuse and incorrect representation of a very serious form of discrimination. When you carelessly throw out terms like that in regards to situations that are not even remotely related to the injustice in question, you greatly undermine it. I personally do not appreciate and will not accept that being said about myself nor others like me, whom enjoy bbcode because you've got a sour opinion of it.

If you find it selfish, fine. If you fine it inconsiderate, fine. That is your absolute right. You've even got the right to judge others unfairly. A bit irritating but hey, it's your right. But do not incorrectly and unfairly throw out terms like ' albeist ' where it is not entirely deserved. You are wrong. Should you want to go deeper into this fact, please pm me and I will be happy to educate you or further discuss, as it wouldn't be appropriate to delve into this particular portion of the topic on this thread? I'm not sure if that's something a moderator would speak to either one of us about.

Last edited:
People who try to argue with you when you say you are not interested in a RP they have. Or even try to shame you for "Not trying something different."

Like (censored) I have RPed and made characters long enough to know what I like. It's not about trying something new. It's about knowing what I'm interested in. And in a lot of cases flat out not interested in. And in the case of sex and fetish not wanting to try it at all is just fine.

At least the ones who are up front in their annoyance give warning. I hate the ones that wait til the RP starts and try to wee out your rules.

People who try to argue with you when you say you are not interested in a RP they have. Or even try to shame you for "Not trying something different."

Like (censored) I have RPed and made characters long enough to know what I like. It's not about trying something new. It's about knowing what I'm interested in. And in a lot of cases flat out not interested in. And in the case of sex and fetish not wanting to try it at all is just fine.

At least the ones who are up front in their annoyance give warning. I hate the ones that wait til the RP starts and try to wee out your rules.

Oh god, yeah, I especially hate it when people nag on you for 'not wanting to broaden your horizons.' No, I don't wanna roleplay guys and I'm not somehow a bad writer due to that. I'm just not a partner for you. And tbh, it strikes me as kinda selfish bc it's usually just thinly veiled 'why don't more people play male love interests for me,' which is, uh... not a good look in a collaborative effort such as roleplaying. Why would you want your partner to partake in something they don't fully enjoy?

When you work hard on making a thread and it’s content. So while you are busy making the thread and such you miss out on plotting with characters you wanted to plot with.

My desire to roleplay, my lack of partners, and how much I hate the search process.

Oh and how the people who seem fitting to RP with only do fandom. The ones who are fitting and do original have 9 paragraphs of rules, like bruh are we RPing or are you writing a dissertation? I don't need your philosophy behind WHY you wrote the rule, it's called point form!

TT ^ TT

I’ve been on here already.. hello again *wave*

idk if this is the place to post this.. but when there’s an obvious thing in a plot that hints at a certain action that should obviously be made but instead takes another route..

problem is that it was ME who didn’t follow T.T maybe I’m being hyper critical.. idk..
can unpredictability ever go too far in RP?
Anywho.. hi! Bye! ^^

idk if this is the place to post this.. but when there’s an obvious thing in a plot that hints at a certain action that should obviously be made but instead takes another route..

problem is that it was ME who didn’t follow T.T maybe I’m being hyper critical.. idk..
Anywho.. hi! Bye! ^^

This has no one answer as it depends on your partner, the RP style and type and so on.

If you are doing one of those case solving or more linear style RPs then ignoring the obvious is going rogue and not playing the game.

But if you are playing a looser story builder style RP that lets the characters make the story then no. As long as you aren't ignoring things and pretty much not breaking story just to troll and blatantly make the other person frustrated then unpredictability is to be expected. And as long as you didn't discuss a plot or path OOC then ignore it.

If you are worried then here is a hint. Depending on the RP and partner ask yourself a few things. What kind of RP is it. How did your partner react. Was the situation sensible as far as in character went. Plus, was the info meta or given in story.

Anywho.. hi! Bye! ^^

Naw, it just happens. Partners get their wires crossed and you fumble a scene, no big deal. I've done it before where we misunderstood OOC and didn't realize till the moment I buggered up. I once assumed we agreed to have a scene be a montage of short scenes that escalate in severity until the PCs escape, the time spanned being 2 years. She thought we were doing the 2 month time span. That was a big oops for me.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuttttttttt it happens! You can also RECON THAT SHIT because you are the authors of the story right, who cares if you rewrite a post! XD I've done that before too, no big deal.

Last edited:
I think I said this more or less elsewhere, but it's seriously one of my biggest character story based pet peeves that makes my "Can't even care about this RP" button get hit fast.

When the other player literally makes your character pointless. They basically want to throw around their WOW POW COOL character and might as well be writing some OP trash story themselves because they have to jump through hoops to override anything that makes their character look less that anything else.

Especially as they have the most toxic personalities when you say something and end up stop RPing with them. Like seriously. Rpers are looking for a game Work on you issues for real and not get your boost by expecting someone to be a captive audience by RPing a one sided story with you.

When an interest check doesn't actually give details about the player's preferences. If it just says stuff like "I'll rp anything" or "PM me" then chances are I will ignore it.

people who rely on aesthetics that makes it a chore to read and write with people

I'd imagine writing in font size 2px and making the div box (or whatever the workaround is called these days) 50px by 50px makes it really harder than necessary to read anything

I, for one, cannot abide when people make a bigass interest check post about how only the most literate partners will suffice, followed by like 87 rules each beginning with the word "no"...
And then when you actually start RPing with them and their prose is clunky, lifeless and dry as a shitty off-brand cracker.

What's making me angry today?

I really dislike when people won't let you go from an rp. Like if you're prepping to make an rp with them, and things turn rocky. Or you realize that you two aren't compatible. Or if you've just posted your intro post and they give you a half-assed one. Or you're 300 posts into the rp and you notice the quality in each of their responses are getting shittier.

And you try to leave, but they say "wait, no! i really enjoy rping w you!" or "we can try a new rp! im sorry!"

it really bothers me lmao. like, if i went out of my way, instead of ghosting you (which im against i usually like to leave messages), to tell you "hey things arent working out im not interested".

Why does said person have to guilt trip me and make me feel bad about it? Like i don't want to rp anymore, i don't want to fix things if things don't look right. I hate being held on like that because it puts me in a weird position. I can A) try to fix things but hate my life. B) make this person think im the bad guy bc i didnt like what they wanted to do. or i didnt like what they were doing..

Please dont put holds on me if im trying to leave, it just gets even more awkward and frustrating lmao.

And yes I absolutely feel this one.... that's legit why I abandoned my old account.

I have 'want ads' on a few different sites. All of them specify in the title and in the body that I'm only interested in queer/lgbtq+ romance/pairings. I've had five people in the past week ask me for het stuff and then get salty when I decline. Like...don't reply to queer-specific want ads if you're jonesing for het content? And please, *please* stop talking about plot/world-building stuff for 10 posts only to drop the 'het only' bomb. I'm not going to change my preferences just because we've spent some time plotting, and I'm not 'narrow-minded' for wanting romantic pairings that reflect my own IRL identity. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back