Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had times when I was really discouraged and would ask this, "why won't anyone rp with me?" but I've had the opposite happen. What you've described, where I try to work with my partners but they just don't want to do anything at all.
"What do you think of x y and z?"
eh
[explaining something that could be added to the RP storywise] "What do you think? Do you have any other ideas that could add to this?"
no, that's fine :)

And then what they give me feels like they're just not into it but they'll keep stringing me along until they either ghost or I leave because I can feel that they're not on it. In the past, I've even thought it was my fault, that it was my problem and that something in my style or how I've come across rubs those partners the wrong way... I'm not sure. However, in the recent months, I've gotten in an RP with a partner that is fantastic both in OOC and IC. Every issue I've had with past partners (things you've mentioned and what I just said) is nonexistent in this case. Having someone that is more than willing to bounce around ideas to make the RP more engaging for the both of us, not to mention being enthusiastic about what is happening IC turned my thoughts all the way around. It wasn't me, it was just that I kept ending up with partners that did not want to give anything back. And at this point, when I encounter people like that... I just do not force it. As I've said, it's better to drop it before things get worse lol. Because people like that won't change. Hell, they feel offended if you try to say.. (in a polite manner) hey, this is not really working out because x y and z.
They immediately think you're attacking them personally which is not the case.

Shenanigans like this make me value my current RP partner even more because we're just vibing. xD
I so feel this on a spiritual level. And me too! I'm extremely happy to have a partner that I can just vibe with and not be too worried about y'know? *Hey if you ever tryna roleplay...:angelD:*

I so feel this on a spiritual level. And me too! I'm extremely happy to have a partner that I can just vibe with and not be too worried about y'know? *Hey if you ever tryna roleplay...:angelD:*

Yeah that's what's most important... Feeling comfortable on both sides and not feeling "under pressure"
haha thank you for the offer, but I'm alright for now! :)

Whenever rp ideas/threads get abandoned last minute. Makes all the effort and planning I've put in a character go to waste and not to mention the assignments I could've done in the midst of it :-P

This little forum is just to vent and let your frustrations out. I find joy hearing other people's frustrations and being able to relate so I'm feeling very... frustrated right now.

"i onLy pLAy aS a fEmALe"

or when people will say they looked at your search thread but then ask redundant questions that are already answered on the thread.

JUST PAY ATTENTION PLEASE ITS NOT THAT HARD ;_;

ok I'm done.

EDIT:

this thread is SPECIFICALLY for pet peeves, not comic book heroes, not about if you think your character is x, y, or z -- PET PEEVES. please make ur own thread or pm to discuss that, this aint the place for it sweetie

When you discuss an RP, they say they're multi para. Their punctuation and English is at least understandable, and then they do the complete opposite.
Their writing isn't really up to par with my own, the way they said it would be. And.. I'm not flawless, but I know the difference between there and their and not to put a space before a period.
At least be honest English isn't your first language.

Or when you don't even know how to bring it up to them without being afraid of offending them.. What are you supposed to say in that predicament?

When you discuss an RP, they say they're multi para. Their punctuation and English is at least understandable, and then they do the complete opposite.
Their writing isn't really up to par with my own, the way they said it would be. And.. I'm not flawless, but I know the difference between there and their and not to put a space before a period.

Or when you don't even know how to bring it up to them without being afraid of offending them.. What are you supposed to say in that predicament?

So the horse is out of the barn at this point but I find a good way to prevent this is to ask for links to past roleplays (or baring that at least a writing sample).

Gives you some example of their abilities.

Okay, this is just me being nitpicky, but statistically, it's more likely for native speakers to make the mistakes you've described :) Since English phonology is all kinds of fucked and you guys grow up hearing these words, as opposed to ESLs whose first contact is typically visual. I also don't know a language in which you'd put a space before a period, sooo... yeah, this is just sucking as a writer rather than a matter of one's first language.

But! I have a similar pet peeve, actually. It doesn't really relate to grammar, but it is about different expectations. What I hate is when someone sounds normal, even fun OOC, and when it's their turn to write, their brain switches into this... how to call it? Purple prose mode. Like, laughter-inducing level of it. I know I should have asked for a sample, but you looked like a bro and I trusted you T_T

Okay, this is just me being nitpicky, but statistically, it's more likely for native speakers to make the mistakes you've described :) Since English phonology is all kinds of fucked and you guys grow up hearing these words, as opposed to ESLs whose first contact is typically visual. I also don't know a language in which you'd put a space before a period, sooo... yeah, this is just sucking as a writer rather than a matter of one's first language.

Thiiiiiiis. .^^^ I swear to god, I have played with dozens upon dozens of people and the ones whose grammar is all over the place are always the native speakers, not the non-native speakers.

I think that non-native speakers tend to do a more thorough job of checking that their post makes sense, because they want to make sure you understand them. Whereas native speakers sometimes just assume their English is AOK cos they speak it every day.

When people only write "transgender" in the gender section of a trans character's profile. Trans what, exactly?

Religion.

Hold on, now, I see you about to asking. 'What you talkin' bout Cosmo?' but gonna set this here, I am not a religious person, myself, not am I 'anti-religious'. My issue is not with religion being in roleplays. I think they absolutely
should be in the vast majority and that is where my pet-peeve comes from. Few things make me raise an eyebrow faster then joining an RP, having a neat idea for a character that has beliefs in whatever [and that is fairly rare that I want to do that anyways] and the GM goes 'Oh, religion doesn't exist in this world.'

Religion doesn't exist in this world. Just... what? Is this world filled with creatures that look, sound and act like humans but aren't actually humans? Are we just pretending that isn't part of the human experience regardless of how you feel about it? Some of the excuses I see brought up is just... what? Such as 'Gods don't exist in this world' as if that is some kind of reason to not include it. The being doesn't have to be real for it to be real to the character. There being no such being in your work doesn't mean people wouldn't find something to believe in even if there was nothing actually there, if anything, that discovery could make for an utterly amazing character moment in the story [as well as the opposite, believing no deities could exist in a world as cruel as this only to find out, they do].

Another one of my favorites is when there is magic because, apparently, a mystical magical energy that can't truly be explained [only its effects can] that lets people do incredible things wouldn't have people developing beliefs in something else out there... 'But some individuals in the past were so magically powerful they were like gods, so why worship gods?' yes, because stories of a godlike magic being in the past wouldn't totally inspire a religion based upon them down the line... Cause that has never happened in our world before, nope, never. :xFrolleyes:

I get people sometimes are religious, are anti-religious, aren't religious, don't care about it in any ways or don't really have an interest in making their character that way, but it doesn't mean you should just go full derp and go 'well, nope'. If you hadn't thought of a religion, or series of religions, for your world, just say that. Be open to working with the RPer to help mold a religion for their character that would fit in the world you created. Don't go full derp and just say 'Meh, no religion because I don't understand it and am so enlightened that other people shouldn't beli.. sorry, I was sniffing so much of my own smugness that I got lost in thought, what were we discussing?'

Its always frustrating.

Religion.

Hold on, now, I see you about to asking. 'What you talkin' bout Cosmo?' but gonna set this here, I am not a religious person, myself, not am I 'anti-religious'. My issue is not with religion being in roleplays. I think they absolutely
should be in the vast majority and that is where my pet-peeve comes from. Few things make me raise an eyebrow faster then joining an RP, having a neat idea for a character that has beliefs in whatever [and that is fairly rare that I want to do that anyways] and the GM goes 'Oh, religion doesn't exist in this world.'

Religion doesn't exist in this world. Just... what? Is this world filled with creatures that look, sound and act like humans but aren't actually humans? Are we just pretending that isn't part of the human experience regardless of how you feel about it? Some of the excuses I see brought up is just... what? Such as 'Gods don't exist in this world' as if that is some kind of reason to not include it. The being doesn't have to be real for it to be real to the character. There being no such being in your work doesn't mean people wouldn't find something to believe in even if there was nothing actually there, if anything, that discovery could make for an utterly amazing character moment in the story [as well as the opposite, believing no deities could exist in a world as cruel as this only to find out, they do].

Another one of my favorites is when there is magic because, apparently, a mystical magical energy that can't truly be explained [only its effects can] that lets people do incredible things wouldn't have people developing beliefs in something else out there... 'But some individuals in the past were so magically powerful they were like gods, so why worship gods?' yes, because stories of a godlike magic being in the past wouldn't totally inspire a religion based upon them down the line... Cause that has never happened in our world before, nope, never. :xFrolleyes:

I get people sometimes are religious, are anti-religious, aren't religious, don't care about it in any ways or don't really have an interest in making their character that way, but it doesn't mean you should just go full derp and go 'well, nope'. If you hadn't thought of a religion, or series of religions, for your world, just say that. Be open to working with the RPer to help mold a religion for their character that would fit in the world you created. Don't go full derp and just say 'Meh, no religion because I don't understand it and am so enlightened that other people shouldn't beli.. sorry, I was sniffing so much of my own smugness that I got lost in thought, what were we discussing?'

Its always frustrating.

So in my personal experience “religion” is just code for “bigoted beliefs that you aren’t allowed to call out.”

So I can see the mentality being “I don’t want to start unnecessary drama in the OOC”.

As religion is one of those things that people believe very strongly about IRL and it is not outside of the realm of possibility for whatever religion the character has to lead to fighting.

Either it’s disrespectful to a real religion, pushing an agenda people don’t agree with into the world, or people use it as a jumping off point to preach at people OOC.

So yeah I can see the GM being like “Nope I am not going to be refereeing petty infighting all day.”

This mainly applies to discord group RPs since that's the bulk of how I RP these days.

When I come into a new server and create a character, and it's time to look for someone to start a scene with... But the only people available and looking for RP are the type of writers I don't want to write with. Either they do one-liners or have awful grammar... But they're the only ones open to RP in the group!

Like am I supposed to just ignore them, or...?

Semi-related - when GMs don't uphold their own rules for the server when it comes to writing quality. When they keep lower-level writers even though it's against the rules because they don't want to seem rude.

So in my personal experience “religion” is just code for “bigoted beliefs that you aren’t allowed to call out.”

So I can see the mentality being “I don’t want to start unnecessary drama in the OOC”.

As religion is one of those things that people believe very strongly about IRL and it is not outside of the realm of possibility for whatever religion the character has to lead to fighting.

Either it’s disrespectful to a real religion, pushing an agenda people don’t agree with into the world, or people use it as a jumping off point to preach at people OOC.

So yeah I can see the GM being like “Nope I am not going to be refereeing petty infighting all day.”

A character that believes in whatever, pick your fictional or real beliefs, having friction with another character who doesn't believe in that... that is called conflict and is what stories are about. Shying away from that doesn't make an RP better.

If you have an RPer that is starting drama in the OOC, and you are the GM, step up and act like a GM.

A character that believes in whatever, pick your fictional or real beliefs, having friction with another character who doesn't believe in that... that is called conflict and is what stories are about. Shying away from that doesn't make an RP better.

If you have an RPer that is starting drama in the OOC, and you are the GM, step up and act like a GM.

I mean that’s what they’re doing though?

They are being the GM by saying “I will not invite unnecessary drama into my roleplay. No religion allowed.”

Like you can’t have it both ways. You can’t say the GM has the right to not allow things into their roleplay they feel will be disruptive AND then get salty when they do that about something you want.

Religion is too hot button an issue IRL to allow into roleplays. Because I can promise you most people don’t see it as some fictional belief that affects fictional characters.

It is a real thing that affects real people in deeply personal ways.

That's...that's kind of why it is a peeve to NOT have it in RPs. It's an aspect of reality, that has been around for almost (if not all) of human history. I'm gonna agree with Cosmo here, even as an atheist, I find it weird when religion isn't in a world at all.

It's one of my peeves as well when it comes to RPing, as well, though not as strong a peeve. It's still hella weird not having religion represented in some fashion, given its prominence in reality, the good and the bad of it.

Also, it could just be me, but I thought this was a thread for airing pet peeves, regardless of if people agree with these peeves? Deeper discussion probably deserves its own thread.

Edit: Also Cosmo was differentiating between IC drama and OOC Drama. A GM should step up and monitor OOC drama...but IC drama is kind of needed to advance stories.

I mean that’s what they’re doing though?

They are being the GM by saying “I will not invite unnecessary drama into my roleplay. No religion allowed.”

Like you can’t have it both ways. You can’t say the GM has the right to not allow things into their roleplay they feel will be disruptive AND then get salty when they do that about something you want.

Religion is too hot button an issue IRL to allow into roleplays. Because I can promise you most people don’t see it as some fictional belief that affects fictional characters.

It is a real thing that affects real people in deeply personal ways.

Cept it isn't. Expecting your RPers to have some level of maturity and not act as personal belief mouthpieces for their characters isn't unique to religion just as it isn't for any other hot topic item. When the RPers fail in doing that and start acting as mouthpieces that is when you need to act like a GM and PM them to let them know they need to stop, if they keep doing it or escalate to OOC drama, you deal with it by giving them the boot.

If 'Well, it could cause OOC drama, so lets just not have it,' was the go-to method for this, RPs would be pretty boring since there wouldn't be anything in them because those things tend to be the very thing RPs need to have conflict and advancement. "Well, I thought about having LGBTQ+ roles but it could cause OOC drama, so just not going to do it,' isn't exactly an okay thing to do.

Keep in mind, in another thread, I supported the idea of GMs not wanting to deal with, say, balancing player powers and may restricted them to only one or two, however that is not the same, to me, as outright removing something because it 'could be too problematic if people act childish and I can't be bothered to handle it if it does'.

If a GM goes 'Well, I just can't be bothered,' yea, I am going to be peeved by that [Almost like that is the point of the thread]. But whatever, people do people, if you remember my post, what really irritates me is the silly reasons some people come up with to try and justify it, I'd rather them just admit, 'Eh, I didn't think about it,' or 'You know.. I just don't wanna deal with it.' '

EDIT: To be clear, when acting as mouthpieces, if it becomes apparent and disruptive, that is when you wanna step in. If its small, harmless and not worth making a fuss over, just roll your eyes at it like everyone else does.

Last edited:
That's...that's kind of why it is a peeve to NOT have it in RPs. It's an aspect of reality, that has been around for almost (if not all) of human history. I'm gonna agree with Cosmo here, even as an atheist, I find it weird when religion isn't in a world at all.

It's one of my peeves as well when it comes to RPing, as well, though not as strong a peeve. It's still hella weird not having religion represented in some fashion, given its prominence in reality, the good and the bad of it.

Also, it could just be me, but I thought this was a thread for airing pet peeves, regardless of if people agree with these peeves? Deeper discussion probably deserves its own thread.

Edit: Also Cosmo was differentiating between IC drama and OOC Drama. A GM should step up and monitor OOC drama...but IC drama is kind of needed to advance stories.

To be clear MY peeve with religion is because it causes drama in the OOC when people don’t like what is being said in the IC.

So in groups I can see the GM erring on the side of, “I’m not going to police peoples individual religions so no one is putting a religious agenda in the roleplay.”

For 1x1 I can see there being a little more leeway as you can judge one individuals comfort level with religious themes.

But I was talking more specifically for groups where you will get people kicking off drama. And with an issue that is as controversial and hot button as religion I would be banning half the players if I just kicked out the people who raised a stink.

So then it’s a calculus, do I want to put the comfort of one person (Lucyfer) over the harmony of the entire roleplay?

Cosmo Cosmo
I’ll grant you controversy was the wrong word.

I think a better way to look at it is a GM wanting consistency of world building.

Like you can’t allow one person to alter the setting without allowing everyone to do it. And that will cause issues in the OOC, regardless of the IC interactions.

I do agree that GMs should be able to enforce their rules uniformly and honestly.

I’ll grant you controversy was the wrong word.

I think a better way to look at it is a GM wanting consistency of world building.

Like you can’t allow one person to alter the setting without allowing everyone to do it. And that will cause issues in the OOC, regardless of the IC interactions.

I do agree that GMs should be able to enforce their rules uniformly and honestly.

If you are world building and your world has humans in it but no religion of any kind... anywhere... probably wanna take another look at your world building because it doesn't actually have humans.

The 'all or nothing' policy has never worked. 'If one person gets to do it, everyone gets to' or 'If X is fine, shouldn't Y be too?' has never been a thing. I have no idea why people act like it has been or should suddenly start now.

If a GM has a player that wants to do X and wants to talk with them to find a way to get it to work in their world? They should be excited about that. I know I always am. Sometimes their idea wont work and you have to tell them so. Sometimes they have to heavily alter or change it to get it to fit. But if a GM goes 'its my way or the highway' out the gate? That isn't a GM. Its someone on a power trip who isn't interested in creating a world and story with other players.

my pet peeve is inactive OOCs. it's like sharing a home with a bunch of roommates who only come down for supper and then disappear for hours.

Like... oh, i thought we were getting along...? no...? oh... okay...

TFW your GMs give up on an RP before the actual players participating do. It never fails to astound me when this happens during otherwise successful RPs.

TFW your GMs give up on an RP before the actual players participating do. It never fails to astound me when this happens during otherwise successful RPs.
This has happened to me a few times, actually. The group is actually going strong and then it's the GMs turn to push the plot, and then... *crickets* Fuckin' AWOL. Suks because everyone had put in a lot of effort on awesome posts, and the RP almost always invariably dies because no one really knows how t pick it up (and most of us weren't there with the inclination to take up GM duties in the first place).

Oh, and to make an entry to the list:
I hate it when I've been wanting a certain kind of RP and can't find it, and then I eventually lose interest in that unfulfilled craving. Current case: Been searching for a good space opera but now I'm just like... meh. Futuristic RPs are rare here. And when I do find em', they aren't really what I'm looking for. So now I'm gonna work on sprucing up a Google Doc profile for an old Goblin character of mine and then look for group RPs I might play her in.

That reminded me. When you want to rp something but no one is interested, so you give up, and then you suddenly see searches pop up when you no longer want to rp it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back