Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a thread a few months ago complaining about the abundance of superpower roleplays, but now that I'm craving them, I can't find any. What the hell.

...Aw jeez, I don't like venting, I really don't, but I've been needing to get this out for a bit, though this is a very circumstantial "what's making me angry" today 😅

I'm just a bit frustrated I've usually been too shy to advertise my (over a year old) quest RP and even if I had the urge I wouldn't even know how to go about it anymore... Also, at this point, I don't think anyone who's not already interested in it will be, so that sense of pointlessness doesn't help my frustration and hesitance either...

I really, really don't want to necro the initial one I made back then or make a new interest check for it (I think I've read Quest Interest checks don't even show up on the... uh... side... bar...thingy...that new interest checks are usually posted in...? Yes, I know my IQ is less than that of a jar of mayo, pls forgive) and I've got a link in my signature (which already is always a bit daunting because I feel it's a shameless plug and I dislike it)...

...And my profile is private, so even if I made a status about it, no one would really see it, I don't think???

Hah, anyway, I'm sorry... This is probably a very odd "what's making you angry"!

This might be petty as hell but in a group RP... I don't want to ship my character with a character that a) I don't think is written well. Or b) Played by someone who can't match my activity level.

In a group RP if there's romance involved naturally I'm going to seek out the writer that can give me juicy posts.

It sucks when my character vibes with another one but gets left behind whenever I do a scene with them because they take so long to respond.

No hate on people that are slow posting, it's just a lack of compatibility as players.

I dislike the unmotivated feeling towards a roleplay because for me it typically means that my interest in the story will ultimately die. But I also do not like forcing myself to write because I want to treat roleplaying as a hobby rather than a chore. It's a cycle that I have been caught in recently and I just want it to end. 🥺 I don't want it to become a permanent pattern for me, because it just makes me feel like I'm a horrible roleplayer, and I worry that it will just continue to cascade through all of the roleplays that I try to participate in.

I dislike the unmotivated feeling towards a roleplay because for me it typically means that my interest in the story will ultimately die. But I also do not like forcing myself to write because I want to treat roleplaying as a hobby rather than a chore. It's a cycle that I have been caught in recently and I just want it to end. 🥺 I don't want it to become a permanent pattern for me, because it just makes me feel like I'm a horrible roleplayer, and I worry that it will just continue to cascade through all of the roleplays that I try to participate in.
I have that feeling every time I roleplay at some point. I think going through dips in motivation is pretty normal... Hype is an elusive creature that only sticks around for a certain amount of time. She leaves quickly, but also isn't shy about visiting again if your RP is a really good one.

I won't deny, sometimes it does feel like a job, but I usually stick it through for as long as I can. The motivation generally comes back, given some time and effort.
What also helps is to plot ahead something a little new. An event, an interaction between characters, something to spice things up and rejuvenate your motivation. Sometimes you can't bring yourself to be excited over the long-term plans, so you need a little pick-me-up in the meantime. Interact with some of your players' characters, start an argument, have something life-threatening happen... go to a bar and have a drunken break? I usually find that planning something new helps with lost motivation.

Yeah, this is a new experience for me, specifically for one on one roleplays, so I'm just unsure how I want to handle it. I give myself about a week and a half, give or take, to think about it. Having other people wait for me weeks on end bothers me.

Having other people wait for me weeks on end bothers me.
Hahahaha, I feel that. That's one of the reasons I only have 2 roleplays going on at a time... I tend to go through phases where I just don't reply as often, and I've found it's just too much stress to beat myself up over it. I think the longest I've gone is probably 1-2 months without a reply...
But I also have really special partners that I intend on keeping for the long term. They understand that sometimes I go through these phases, they're super patient and understanding with me that way. I'm a really lucky person.

Either way, that's my recommendation: Stick it out & try and come up with something that excites you. Maybe throw a curveball at your partner. Do or suggest something they don't expect. That usually does the trick for me, and my two 1x1 RPs have been running for about a year now. I hope it works out for you!

Thanks! I will consider it. The people I have written with are always understanding but I think it boils down to my picky preference, hahaha. I had assumed that coming back to one on one roleplays would be easy for me, because it was what I had always done in the past, but now I keep talking about becoming a full-time group roleplay GM!

I have an idea that I want to write, but I don't know how to polish it into a story or if I care enough to make an interest check for it.

People who are too chicken to put on their big girl pants and so, instead of being honest and direct about what they would like from you, will be just vague enough so that you have to fill in the blanks for them and be the one to say something, so that way it's not really their suggestion/they didn't really ask. Like babe, come on. Come on!!! Odds are I'm thousands of miles away from you, you're not in any real danger of getting your head bitten off. The worst thing I can do is tell you no.

People who are too chicken to put on their big girl pants and so, instead of being honest and direct about what they would like from you, will be just vague enough so that you have to fill in the blanks for them and be the one to say something, so that way it's not really their suggestion/they didn't really ask. Like babe, come on. Come on!!! Odds are I'm thousands of miles away from you, you're not in any real danger of getting your head bitten off. The worst thing I can do is tell you no.

This can be a problem and seems to often be people either just wanting to jump from talking to RP or them being afraid you will find them not a good fit and not RP.

"I have some villains and elements that are violent, involve things like torture, slavery, and kidnapping and and other darker elements. I can tone back if you aren't comfortable."

"I'm fine with blood and really evil villains and dark scenes!! I love dark stories."

RP ends when characters go to investigate a necromancer crime scene and they get triggered. (And triggered again when you remind them of previous talk)

I have an idea that I want to write, but I don't know how to polish it into a story or if I care enough to make an interest check for it.
You can make a new RP Discussion thread to have others help you flesh out your idea if you would like to at the very least. I have done this with both of my roleplaying ideas and they have been realized as fully fledged groups. 😄 There are a lot of great people here who would love to give insight.

You can make a new RP Discussion thread to have others help you flesh out your idea if you would like to at the very least. I have done this with both of my roleplaying ideas and they have been realized as fully fledged groups. 😄 There are a lot of great people here who would love to give insight.
Might an idea worth trying. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was in the middle of writing a response last night and I got to a point where much of it was just d i a l o g u e and all that my brain could focus on was “is this too much?!”

I was in the middle of writing a response last night and I got to a point where much of it was just d i a l o g u e and all that my brain could focus on was “is this too much?!”

I loath the way post structure and order influences the flow of dialogue in big, key situations where a number of OCs are present. Instead of being fluid, natural, coherent, it's often a stew of stand-alone monologues trying to address the multitude of things being said every post round. I literally can't. I wouldn't know where to begin with that anymore.

Yeah, the flow of the writing is what I felt like it affected the most. Granted, I was writing at the unspeakable hours of the night and I don't expect to have it published until tomorrow. It's at least drafted and I'll have a fresh brain to fix the fluidity today.

Is it just me or are writer ego character boundaries getting more extreme?

920146763480f87a8d84555645b65a44.gif
ezgif.com-video-to-gif_large.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back