Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, did I miss my chance of getting into the weight and height discussion?

Well, technically, that is a thing I say, but we should totally do that.

But what does that have to do with this thread?
Perhaps one of those rare but special situations where their innocent seeming friend responds to them or someone else in an RP, and they witness them swearing for the first time.

Either way the responses after have as much to do with the thread, as makeup wearing Necrons waving the German national flag and screaming in Japanese has with a Second Renaissance.

Which reminds me, let's join the Machine Liberation and Rights movement.
Or else.

Do Ibwant to know?
Breaking news:
Albert Wesker and Nier Automata teams up to default dance, and throw humanity into VR for being edgelords after the end of the million machine march. Crops and random gynoids most affected.

It's force of habit.

lol I wasn’t trying to call anyone specific out. I just see it crop up in interest checks or with past partners and it always creeps me out. For partners I usually just correct them.

“You do X” ... “My character is doing X”

“Can you do X?” ... “My character can do X”

As for interest checks I chalk it up to different aesthetics.

I'm thinking back to all the rp groups I've been in and remembered all the overtly cliquey places where GMs favored certain players or where it was impossible to get my character's foot in the plotting door because everyone was so closely knit and that was that. I'd create my character and follow the rules of being 'pro-active' and posting in ooc, and when I'd a post a starter, I'd just be met with dead air and no interactions.

I'm getting a little frustrated by the constant duplicate threads and spamming threads with off-topic conversations in this section of the site.

Somehow doesn't seem worth bothering the mods about but it's still a pain in the butt.

I'm pretty new to this site, so most of my experiences tend to fall under searching through group recruitment forums and not actual rp experiences, however I was kind of surprised and disappointed by the toxic attitudes some of the users who create rp threads have. Just reading some of the description requirements and demands they make of users before submitting their characters seems kind of gatekeepy, and I feel like the whole "I decide which characters are worth getting accepted" attitude is generally pretty off putting to me. Why post it in a public thread if you didn't want random people to join/ are just going to flat out ignore people who are trying their best to contribute? If there's something they can improve with their character let them know! No one here is a well decorated multi millionaire dollar author, we're all just trying to indulge in a hobby that we enjoy!

I'm pretty new to this site, so most of my experiences tend to fall under searching through group recruitment forums and not actual rp experiences, however I was kind of surprised and disappointed by the toxic attitudes some of the users who create rp threads have. Just reading some of the description requirements and demands they make of users before submitting their characters seems kind of gatekeepy, and I feel like the whole "I decide which characters are worth getting accepted" attitude is generally pretty off putting to me. Why post it in a public thread if you didn't want random people to join/ are just going to flat out ignore people who are trying their best to contribute? If there's something they can improve with their character let them know! No one here is a well decorated multi millionaire dollar author, we're all just trying to indulge in a hobby that we enjoy!

While I wouldn’t say it quite that mean, having some standards for joining is necessary to get a good player balance. You don’t want duplicate characters or worse pepole who aren’t going to get along OOC. You also don’t want too many players and not enough plot go arOund.

I mean don’t be an ass about it, but also having some strict requirements for joining prevents later headaches

- at least from my experience as a GM.

Yeah it can be kinda gatekeepy. In general it is born of a desire to try to find the most compatible group, as RPs tend to die very quickly the GM/OP wants to try to mitigate that as best they can, and find the group that fits the kind of RP they want to make best.

There are a lot of group RPs that aren't like that though, and I'd encourage you to keep looking. It's not necessarily quick and easy to find RP but you can and will do it! At least you will be able to make a mental list of which users have requirements that don't fit you or who don't sit well with you. XD It's a diverse place and there are all sorts here.

I've been around for a while, and that approach has always kind of irked me. It's their right to be choosy, I guess, but I don't want to put the effort into making a character for an RP that there's a one-in-five chance I'll get into. Part of the fun of roleplaying for me is the collaborative process, and perhaps I'm biased, but I think that there's a lot that a character sheet doesn't tell about someone.

Yeah it can be kinda gatekeepy. In general it is born of a desire to try to find the most compatible group, as RPs tend to die very quickly the GM/OP wants to try to mitigate that as best they can, and find the group that fits the kind of RP they want to make best.

There are a lot of group RPs that aren't like that though, and I'd encourage you to keep looking. It's not necessarily quick and easy to find RP but you can and will do it! At least you will be able to make a mental list of which users have requirements that don't fit you or who don't sit well with you. XD It's a diverse place and there are all sorts here.

I can understand that. So far I've only come across a few that struck me as off putting. I've seen more threads of people open to new ideas and characters! I can definitely start discerning which personalities I do and do not want to involve myself with. Thanks for the advice! ^_^

Hi there! GM here c: I wanted to give my own opinion on this, since I feel like its somewhat important to talk about.

I believe that most GM's do this because they're looking for the right characters and people to fit into what they want for their roleplay. I think that someone else mentioned this, but usually when people join roleplays and are just instantly accepted, if can lead to problems later down the line with character interactions or OOC conflict. I'm absolutely 100% YES for giving feedback on characters and helping people with their characters if they need it, but sometimes GM's have certain ideas for characters that they're looking for or are hoping for a certain kind of "vibe", if you will. GM's tend to put a lot of work into their roleplays (or, at least, I do) and they don't want all that hard work to be ruined by characters that just won't get along. Having to look at each character and figure out if they'll work together helps the roleplay last a little bit longer, because characters want to interact with each other and people want to see how relationships will develop.

I personally never flat out refuse a character when people first send me them: I always offer advice and give feedback and make suggestions on what can be added or changed about that character to better fit into the roleplay. I love helping people figure out their characters, as sometimes people make new characters for roleplays and don't know them too well, and I'm sorry that some GM's attitudes have made you feel negatively toward them. Just know that not all GM's are like this, and usually if people are ignoring you OOC or IC in a roleplay, it's not worth it to stay there. After all, you said it yourself: roleplaying is supposed to be fun, and being excluded is decidedly not fun. I hope you have better luck in the future with any other group roleplays you join!

Hi there! GM here c: I wanted to give my own opinion on this, since I feel like its somewhat important to talk about.

I believe that most GM's do this because they're looking for the right characters and people to fit into what they want for their roleplay. I think that someone else mentioned this, but usually when people join roleplays and are just instantly accepted, if can lead to problems later down the line with character interactions or OOC conflict. I'm absolutely 100% YES for giving feedback on characters and helping people with their characters if they need it, but sometimes GM's have certain ideas for characters that they're looking for or are hoping for a certain kind of "vibe", if you will. GM's tend to put a lot of work into their roleplays (or, at least, I do) and they don't want all that hard work to be ruined by characters that just won't get along. Having to look at each character and figure out if they'll work together helps the roleplay last a little bit longer, because characters want to interact with each other and people want to see how relationships will develop.

I personally never flat out refuse a character when people first send me them: I always offer advice and give feedback and make suggestions on what can be added or changed about that character to better fit into the roleplay. I love helping people figure out their characters, as sometimes people make new characters for roleplays and don't know them too well, and I'm sorry that some GM's attitudes have made you feel negatively toward them. Just know that not all GM's are like this, and usually if people are ignoring you OOC or IC in a roleplay, it's not worth it to stay there. After all, you said it yourself: roleplaying is supposed to be fun, and being excluded is decidedly not fun. I hope you have better luck in the future with any other group roleplays you join!

In general I agree with all of this and you sound like you're one of the good ones for sure.

However, IMO, if a GM is looking for a "vibe" or a certain type or characters, or a certain set of characters they should make this clear upfront. It's really disappointing to make a character for an RP and then be told that they don't match up with a set of impossible, subjective criteria. Most good RPers can make a character to fit a context if they are told what it is. There's a fine line between "I don't want this character to ruin the RP" and "I already have an exact idea of what the story will be and all I need are pawns that can be shuffled around the game board exactly as I wish it."

I hate the ones who want to rp and then life sets in which I get. However as the weeks go by, they go quiet, and then they only respond when they feel like it. Saying they will be back soon but you continue to wait. It stinks when you are treated like a wild card. My definition of the wild card is they will only rp with you when their plans change and they know you will be available.

In general I agree with all of this and you sound like you're one of the good ones for sure.

However, IMO, if a GM is looking for a "vibe" or a certain type or characters, or a certain set of characters they should make this clear upfront. It's really disappointing to make a character for an RP and then be told that they don't match up with a set of impossible, subjective criteria. Most good RPers can make a character to fit a context if they are told what it is. There's a fine line between "I don't want this character to ruin the RP" and "I already have an exact idea of what the story will be and all I need are pawns that can be shuffled around the game board exactly as I wish it."

I'm definitely guilty of being very selective with new applications, but I don't think it's a bad thing.

For example: I need a character who I find interesting (subjective), isn't too similar to another existing character, and someone who seems cool to talk to in general (again, subjective). I can't specify these things up front because a lot of these factors are definitely subject to personal preference. I don't have a specific character in mind that I want to see, I want to see what people bring to the table. They aren't meant to be pawns, I consider the screening process to be quality-control.

When I only have one or two character slots open, I have to be picky, and since it's my RP, I certainly have the right to be that way.

Posturing about how you're ~selective~ and requiring people to basically send you their creative writing degrees before you even consider roleplaying with them will make me close the thread in the blink of an eye. It's fine to have standards, but like, you can not be an asshole about them. This is you making your first impression, and you're choosing to present yourself as a pretentious killjoy. At that point, I don't even care if you are a skilled writer-- I just don't want to associate with you, period.

Bonus: A lot of people who do that also tend to be purple prose addicts with no self-awareness. Like, that's not what good writing is!!

I just hate the one line replies. I’ve had this so many times on another platform. You suggest something and they only say “Sure” or “...Sure.” “Cool.” I dont know what to do with that so I’m not wrecking my head trying to impress someone when they’re not interested.

Then proceeded to like every fic you put out 😂

I just hate the one line replies. I’ve had this so many times on another platform. You suggest something and they only say “Sure” or “...Sure.” “Cool.” I dont know what to do with that so I’m not wrecking my head trying to impress someone when they’re not interested.

Then proceeded to like every fic you put out 😂

On DA I had a couple of people who tried hard to pay attention to everything I posted when they realized I wasn't really holding interest in an RP. Basically showing all the interest in you but not the thing you are working on together.

One option you can try to curb the one to three word replies is sending an example why you need description with your dialogue. You'll either get through that for the RP you need something to work with. Or they will be annoyed at all the work and end the RP.

"Sure," he said happily with a smile and a thumbs up.
"Sure," he grumbled as he stuffed his hands in his pocket. Rolling his eyes and giving an annoyed sigh realizing how annoying this would be.
"Sure," he said in a distracted tone, not really hearing what his companion was saying.

Naturally how your character replies or feels would be different based on extra information to read.

j9E25ox.jpg

when you see someone post a character that is way too similar in concept to your wip character or you notice your character is going to be filling an archetype that is quickly becoming over-represented (e.g, too many mages) so you feel obligated to either scrap your character altogether or post them anyways at the fear of being either a rip-off or too "common".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back