Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to think that, despite one being the GM, when one posts a roleplay, such concept is kind of shared equally with the other roleplay partner, and, personally, that kind of makes the concept something shared, something that, somehow, belongs to both of them
Yes, absolutely, I completely agree with you on that. I am completely for shaping an idea into something unique between the roleplayers involved, they can turn into beautiful things. I have had very good experiences like that! The only issue is, simply, when one person refuses to compromise, if that makes any sense. The main thing I was going on about was a robot fighting plot I did, and my partner wanted to ignore the set science rules and safety guidelines without asking and discussing first.

I'm not the bad guy here, I promise, just trying to get that across is difficult for me sometimes. It's just frustrating when people think they're above the rules and can do whatever without asking first :')

That moment when everyone's getting along fantastically but there's that one guy who has to cause drama in the team for the sake of being edgy... 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
wait what.gif

- Please be specific and try to be decisive? Every one of my friends has the 'follow the leader' mentality and hearing 'idk it's up to you' it really tiring. Meet me halfway, at least.

- We're not entitled to each others time just because we're online. Don't be offended or upset if I'm not responding, if anything it'll just annoy me further. Online access =/= access to me 24/7. I'll respond when I respond and I won't expect any different from you.

- Perfection is boring, your characters perfection is boring me.

- It's okay if your character is rude/mean, ic =/= ooc. You are not being mean to me, I'm not offended, honest. (I'm more than likely thrilled) Please for the love of god you wanted to play a mean character the dynamic was for a mean character, it's okay to be mean.

- Yes I like romance plots between characters, no I don't find platonic ones any less exciting/important than romantic ones. Please stop acting like I insulted your grandmother for saying I like romantic plots.

I'm definitely too nice when it comes to telling a partner that they're butchering a canon character or when their writing style is so jarring and makes my teeth itch just reading it. I wouldn't claim that I'm the best writer in the world or anything, but I try as best as I can. Sometimes I attempt to gently nudge them about it, but then they get defensive....

Whenever someone drops out of a roleplay I'm running, I feel like I've failed as a gm which leads me to slowly lose interest in the roleplay myself until I eventually drop out too and let it die.

When people like....generalize a mental illness. If you're going to make a character, and give them a mental illness/disability, at least research it a bit? Not everyone with DID or schizophrenia or autism or PTSD is the same, and some mental illnesses are very severe if untreated.

If you actually research something before roleplaying it, good on you! I knew someone who had a character who was a sociopath and they represented it very well.
We can't pick and chose the side effects of our mental illnesses in real life. People with DID usually don't know they're a system until they're well into their life. People with PTSD aren't always a product of war. People with schizophrenia aren't always just talking to themselves. Mental illnesses come in all shapes and forms. Please try to respect that if you're going to make a character with one.

ppl using terms like “semi lit” n “adv lit” to describe how much they write is already a big pet peeve of mine (also like wtf is adv lit ??? r u fucking shakespeares or smth ??) but i can’t be the only one who judges whether someone is as “lit”—n not the 🔥 🤪 🤟🏽 good kind—as they say is by how detailed their request thread is ?
like how do i know for certain u can put in the effort to write quality novella/multipara replies if all you’ve written in ur partner search is “i am [name] i am adv lit n here r some pairings i do” sjshsk just a bit strange to me

More things I stay quiet about:
- Posting threads about being unable to find partners and blaming it on the site algorithm is counterproductive
- Creating characters with mental disorders as someone who has not experienced them is acceptable so long as their traits are rooted in reality (research) and not fetishized.
- On this note, HOPING EVERYONE IN THE BACK CAN HEAR ME, giving a character a mental disorder =/= personality. Applies to sexuality and gender.
- There is nothing wrong with adopting a non-religious element of a culture so long as you understand its significance and cherish it (and/or it was given to you as a gift from a native)- food, clothes, music, etc.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with adopting a non-religious element of a culture so long as you understand its significance and cherish it (and/or it was given to you as a gift from a native)- food said:
Definitely something to chew on.

Let 👏 people 👏 have 👏 fun 👏

Not everything has to be about making a deep story or writing some fleshed out characters. It is perfectly ok to just wanna play the hot gal with the sexy vampire boy that do a bunch of kisses. Is it the pinnacle of literature? No. But, damn it, this is a roleplay site, I don't expect to see the pinnacle of literature here. People should not feel the need to always have this well-written, subversive piece of text that rivals that of Harper Lee. Sometimes, you just want to be a talking dinosaur named Tim and have fun destroying buildings without thinking about the logistics behind such a thing happening. As long as everyone involved is having fun then there should be no problem with it.

In the RP world, first and foremost, the concern should be that everyone is having a good time.

Let me tell ya-- I am in the process of writing professionally, I sometimes do editing and writing professionally now (if ya need a beta reader for a fantasy novel hit up ya girl), and am in the process of editing my novel which I hope to one day soon get published. While I am definitely the type who leans away from the 'living out a fantasy' side of roleplay, I still love it for the fact that it allows me to flesh out my characters, worlds, and overall help me when I am in a creative rut, give me ideas, as well as just helps me blow off some steam after an intense day of worldbuilding or something of the like. And let me tell you- writing for a roleplay is much different than writing for a novel. My writing style is different (I become much more cinematic in RP while in novels I am much more literary... the difference sounds odd but trust me it is there... think Brandon Sanderson v. Guy Gavriel Kay, while I am no where close to being as great as either of them are, it provides a good idea as to the obvious difference in style), and roleplaying is not supposed to bring on any stress like a novel can, but can bring about almost as much, if not as much, excitement. And that excitement is a good thing that I hope everyone has.

I said all that to say: even people who do make books and such sometimes want that more fantasy type setting where they can just let loose and be free, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Basically: no side is better than the other, those that like deep stories with engaging characters that go into question humanity, nature and everything that comes with it are good. Roleplays that are obviously just to live out a fantasy are just as good.

I had to say this when I realized some people legitimately get offended at the notion that they are doing an RP to live out a fantasy as though that is a bad thing. It isn't. As long as you and your partner are down for the same story then y'all do you. This is an RP site, more or less that is exactly what RP was made for. Just as much as it was made for making some stellar stories.

So, in the end I say, don't hate or judge those who just want to live out fantasies, whether it be power or romantic as long as they are being respectful about it. I feel that since it has a negative connotation ( at least from what I have seen) it has been a hindrance for some people.

Melpomene Melpomene I think for me the problem I have with fantasy is that it's always one-sided. It's usually all about my partner's internal fantasy and I'm basically just helping them beta write it. There is never any effort put into making the roleplay exciting for two people. So I feel like if you can find someone who has the exact same internal fantasy as you then it works. Otherwise, it comes across as a little self-absorbed.

Melpomene Melpomene I think for me the problem I have with fantasy is that it's always one-sided. It's usually all about my partner's internal fantasy and I'm basically just helping them beta write it. There is never any effort put into making the roleplay exciting for two people. So I feel like if you can find someone who has the exact same internal fantasy as you then it works. Otherwise, it comes across as a little self-absorbed.

Oh yeah, that's why I put the stipulation that as long as both parties are having fun, it is perfectly fine, I definitely have had some run ins where the other person was being selfish about it, because especially with doubling some people don't seem to understand that I don't actually want a romantic interest for my character, they just assert that I do.

So yeah, it gets frustrating sometimes when the other person isn't also putting in effort to make sure YOU also are having fun, but in the abstract I don't think there is an inherent problem.

If both roleplayers are on the same page about what to roleplay and how to roleplay such (obviously, according to the site's rules), then I guess that there are no limits to their imagination. Indeed, each roleplay doesn't need to be a masterpiece, each character doesn't need to be unique, each plot doesn't need to be dense, each universe created doesn't need to be flawless.
In the end, sometimes, I guess that, at least for some individuals, myself included, being way too self-aware and a perfectionist can ruin such fun, as they think that each roleplay they partake in needs to be flawless and the characters need to be well-written. Sometimes, lowering such self-standards is actually more entertaining than writing something really elaborated.
Sometimes you just need to let go and actually trying to write something, not really minding about what it looks like that much.

Well, I don't think having higher standards is really related to writing fantasies though. I think just because someone is having fun doesn't automatically follow they must be writing a personal fantasy. They could just be having fun because they are interested in writing silly stories in general.

For me Fantasy = self-absorbed writing because that's what a fantasy is. It is basically saying "Hey I have this really personal thing I want to write that is important to me and is all about me working through a personal issue for myself." (basically me me me me)

Now if that fantasy happens to line up with something your partner wants to write than yeah there is nothing inherently wrong with it. It's just in my experience none of those personal fantasies happen to line up with anything I am interested in. It's usually about some kind of romance (which as an aro/ace doesn't interest me in the slightest) or it's about their character getting some kind of external validation that the player isn't getting IRL (in which case I feel like an unpaid therapist, not a roleplay partner).

So to me, light-hearted stories don't equal fantasy. You can have a story about a witch opening up a magical cafe and it entirely just be about making silly shenanigans happen. It doesn't have to have any deeper meaning than making you chuckle.

ppl using terms like “semi lit” n “adv lit” to describe how much they write is already a big pet peeve of mine (also like wtf is adv lit ??? r u fucking shakespeares or smth ??) but i can’t be the only one who judges whether someone is as “lit”—n not the 🔥 🤪 🤟🏽 good kind—as they say is by how detailed their request thread is ?
like how do i know for certain u can put in the effort to write quality novella/multipara replies if all you’ve written in ur partner search is “i am [name] i am adv lit n here r some pairings i do” sjshsk just a bit strange to me

I feel like some kid is going to end up writing on their professional resume or college application "I am semi literate" because they've only heard it used it weird, nebulous RP terms and don't understand that it means that you can barely read and write.

Give me a word count and maybe a writing sample any day over "advanced lit", "semi lit", etc.

People who take themselves and their rps too seriously are... tiring. Obviously, you can write a serious and realistic storyline without it being dull, on the contrary, it can be really great, but when a person starts to treat rp as if it was their job/as if you have real life obligations to them/concrete rules that can't be broken because they just can't without any clear reason, I turn away. Because, as much as I like realism and handling your rps with care and attention to details, it's something we all do for fun, not an obligation.
Also, people who are strongly against the rule of cool baffle me.

Me. I’m my pet peeve today lol
2020 has been a YEAR for me (and plenty of other people too, I’m sure). For reference of how bad it is, I live in the US, so... shit is pretty whack right now.

I haven’t been able to get into RPing all year until recently, and so here I am, trying to not lose an Rp that I’m actually interested in and my partner is likely waiting on a reply, but I get stuck. Like I just can’t stop hating what I’ve typed up so far. I’m constantly reading their reply and rereading what I’ve written, wondering if it’s decent and even coherent. I finally managed to reply today, but that was only after just saying ‘eff it’ and sending my reply.

Me. I’m my pet peeve today lol
2020 has been a YEAR for me (and plenty of other people too, I’m sure). For reference of how bad it is, I live in the US, so... shit is pretty whack right now.

I haven’t been able to get into RPing all year until recently, and so here I am, trying to not lose an Rp that I’m actually interested in and my partner is likely waiting on a reply, but I get stuck. Like I just can’t stop hating what I’ve typed up so far. I’m constantly reading their reply and rereading what I’ve written, wondering if it’s decent and even coherent. I finally managed to reply today, but that was only after just saying ‘eff it’ and sending my reply.
Sometimes the muse flees and you just gotta put something to get things moving again. Don't feel bad. If you're afraid your partner will notice a difference in your effort remember communication makes all the difference. Be honest about needing to get things kick-started.

It’s creepy when people keep using “You/Your” to describe stuff my character is doing. It makes me think they have a difficult time differentiating between reality and fiction.

Also same when they use first person for plots - “I am a witch who takes you on as an apprentice.”

Like it just seems so creepy to me (granted I know it’s just an aesthetic thing which is why I don’t actually say anything)

*The first time you see your friend curse in a response.*

“....”

“....are...”

“are you ok...?”

“...”

“...damn, and I thought I was going to hell alone.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back