Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I might have worded that part fairly badly.

I wasn't referring to lore and that kind of things but more to things like, say, the tendency to completely change how stuff works on the fly in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
I see where you're coming from but I don't necessarily agree. I think bringing in a series's quirks can add to an RP if it's done well, especially if it's a pretty distinct one.

I also hate a thing I call "double usage." It's when a word is used twice two sentences in a row. I'll have to demonstrate.

"Today I went to the library to pick out a book. They were doing a special stamp collecting event that was only for today."

You only need "today" in there once.

I get some words you CAN'T avoid double using I just hate when it's obvious.

It's pretty annoying when it's clearly done in error. Bothers me way more in fiction than in rp. And more in my own writing than anothers. But I am always impressed when I see it used intentionally and successfully. I dunno tho. That might just be definitionally different to double usage.

Having a specific RP craving, but not being able to find anyone who is willing to RP it with me.

This is sadly so true. Some of my favourite roleplays are historical or futuristic (with tendencies to dystopian worlds and sci-fi), and unfortunately, even though they seem to be two genres that get some attention from the general public, I haven't been able to find someone who'd like to roleplay them lately. But I guess that it is simply some sort of "wave". There are times in which people are more interested in some sort of things than in others.
Yep. I definitely feel your pain there. On this site in particular I seem to have a hard time finding partners for those kinds of things. I've just had better luck on other sites. Maybe it's because of the demographics of this site, idk.

Maybe this is something that has to do with the fact that my roleplaying experience isn't that big, but I have the feeling that I haven't seen many original characters that are, indeed, women and that are, at the same time, ruthless, cold and manipulative, even though we have examples of such in nowadays entertainment industry.
I feel the need of more female anti-heroes and villains in roleplays.

Really? I play many of those sorts of characters.

I can't say that my roleplay experience is big (I have only been roleplaying for 4 years now and I have had only a couple of roleplay partners), but analysing the female characters that I have seen before, I came to the conclusion that most part of them seem to be very soft and actually nice women. But as I said, my roleplaying experience isn't that big, and I blame such character profiles on the demographics of the platform that I was using in order to roleplay.
And honestly, it us so refreshing to know that someone writes cold and ruthless female characters. We definitely need more of them.
I actually play the cold and manipulative women more than I play the nice ones lol. Then again I play a lot of morally grey types who are very self-serving.

M Mesenterium

You may enjoy the visual novel/otome Seven Kindgoms : Princess Problem, where you can play as a pretty manipulative and egoist character if you want to. The game isn't finished yet, but there is 70-80% up online and it's pretty amazing ^^

I can't say that my roleplay experience is big (I have only been roleplaying for 4 years now and I have had only a couple of roleplay partners), but analysing the female characters that I have seen before, I came to the conclusion that most part of them seem to be very soft and actually nice women. But as I said, my roleplaying experience isn't that big, and I blame such character profiles on the demographics of the platform that I was using in order to roleplay.
And honestly, it us so refreshing to know that someone writes cold and ruthless female characters. We definitely need more of them.

I've seen loads of them. It's like ... a whole trope. They can be good if played well, but "cold and ruthless" can also be pretty cliche.

I've seen loads of them. It's like ... a whole trope. They can be good if played well, but "cold and ruthless" can also be pretty cliche.

Aye, I have lost count the number of times i've come across 'generic bitchy woman' #552 in various RPs. Sometimes it's completely out of place, given certain situations. I remember a feudal RP many a year ago, the GM played as a young Count who had barely become of age by the time his Father perished during this fantasy war against Giants and all titles/lands/responsibilites were passed onto him ~ no pressure..

One member of the party was a generic Female Edgy-Elvish Rogue who was hired as a bodyguard/guide through Elvish lands as the group travelled to visit the Elvish Nobility in regards the Elves neglecting the call to arms against the Giants. The ENTIRE time, there, back and in-between the Rogue bitched.. and bitched... and bitched... The Count was inexperienced and weedy, The party was making too much ambient noise, The Human Ranger looked like a hobo, The Dwarf was inept because 'reasons', The Mage would probably fail to heal anyone during the chaos of battle or would straight up be the first to die. No-one could do anything right in her eyes.. and it completely sucked the life out of the RP.

"Oh boy, can't wait to get home after a long shift at work and read through an entire paragraph dedicated to baseless accusations, speculations and persecutions against my character for simply existing."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

Which brings me actually to another pet peeve: originality. Being original is something that I worry too much about. Maybe because of writer's block at the moment. But indeed, in the end, haven't we written about every single thing already? It bothers me also the emphasis that is placed on roleplayers to be "original", when I guess that, as previously mentioned, the way the plot is manipulated can transform the whole story. For instance, if two people are given the same topic to write about, chances are they will come up with two completely different stories. This is notorious when it comes to medieval fantasy. You have so many examples of stories based in such premise. And honestly, I don't think that that makes them bad, dull or cliché.

"There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages."
Mark Twain

Many times in RP 'original' simply means 'Not a fandom'. Like "Original super hero roleplay". Doesn't mean you can't use a power that's already been done. That would be quite a challenge. But don't come in literally using a fandom' character and demanding it take place in the Marvel or DC universe.

When people make stupid OP Resident Evil OCs like this guy that can control BOWS and he is good. Whats the point in RE then? Without BOWS it is just a call of duty game and who the hell wants that? BTW I know that was a thing in RE but I don't care it does not excuse it.

When CSes ask for a character's weight. BMI calculations are a pain in the ass.

I agree with this. It doesn't annoy me, but I just find it utterly pointless. If I have to put it in I'll do it, but really what does a weight tell you about the character? Isn't describing their build and appearance better? Who can actually tell what weights mean when they see them written down? Also, universally, everyone is super bad at guessing weights and make their characters skeletal, yet describe them as "muscular" or "curvy" anyway.

I agree with this. It doesn't annoy me, but I just find it utterly pointless. If I have to put it in I'll do it, but really what does a weight tell you about the character? Isn't describing their build and appearance better? Who can actually tell what weights mean when they see them written down? Also, universally, everyone is super bad at guessing weights and make their characters skeletal, yet describe them as "muscular" or "curvy" anyway.
That too. I don't know what 150 lbs looks like. It makes a lot more sense to describe a character's relative weight or body type.
I don’t even understand why people just guess when they can look up a chart that has the healthy range for a person of a certain gender and a certain height
Because that's calculating BMI.

Using such charts is a good reference if well interpreted. Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen

^^^ THIS. Most particularly when people are like "Oh I want my character to be attractive. Attractive = Skinny. Skinny = marginally underweight." Then describe bulging muscles/womanly curves in the CS.

(I'm sure everyone's experienced this in some-way or another)

One of my biggest turn-offs and the main reason I end-up leaving RPs (besides my god-awful scheduling..) is usually a underwhelming start that doesn't really go anywhere. I enjoy openings that have a decent chunk of action/drama but with a bit of backstory as to give a general understanding of what was going on. However, a lot of the time i've seen openings that have all the characters meet up in one mundane spot, waiting for each and every person to post before moving on just feels like i'm in a mandatory but pointless general staff-meeting at work and someone is running late so you can't start the pointless meeting to get it out of the way until everyone is present. I can understand wanting to introduce the characters, let everyone show off a little and dazzle you with their writing skills etc.. etc.. however I just don't find it at all appealing, i'd rather have something happening that involves all the characters coming together ~ whether they want to or not.

I just find it really tedious when these meet-ups happen in the beginning. Everyone's got some cringy opinion about other characters, some write bible-sized monologues that usually contain about 60% rambling rubbish that ain't of any use to others to further the plot or to get creative with in their own posts and the remaining 40% is general bitching about other character's race, appearance, species, social status with no foundations for such presumptions. 🤷‍♂️

I feel that introductions for characters often works well when it's brief enough for people to understand that they're a team but it shouldn't be the sole focus of the beginning post.. a opening post in my ideal world would be something to motivate the characters to push and work together to over-come difficulties, to set the scene in such a way that the group's actions could turn the tide and thus they'd need to put aside any thoughts or presumption for the time being and be a team.

"Idle-chatter can wait, for we ride to ruin and the world's ending!"
rohan.gif

This reminds me so much of those generic DnD starters where the party meets up in a tavern. It's kind of boring because most part of the time the party doesn't even know each other before going to the tavern. Instead of that, why not making them being attacked by some sort of monster whilst they walk relaxed on the street, making them having to cooperate with each other, which can possibly lead them to get to know each other afterwards? I guess that, in this way, for example, it doesn't sound forced, it's more natural and, in a way, motivating.
This! Lol, there are a lot of ways to spice up an introduction. I started a RP awhile ago that had two characters who would normally be at each others' throats. We threw them in a situation where, if they didn't work together, they'd both freeze to death in icy snow. A dragon who had the ability to make fire but didn't have enough food in her stomach, and a human with food and kindling, but no shelter or means to start a fire in a howling snowstorm. Lots of spicy tension, forcibly learning about the other side's views, and suspicion about whether or not the other character could reaaaally be trusted. There's no reason you can't get right into the good stuff, it sets up motivation and expectations for the rest of the RP.

This reminds me so much of those generic DnD starters where the party meets up in a tavern. It's kind of boring because most part of the time the party doesn't even know each other before going to the tavern. Instead of that, why not making them being attacked by some sort of monster whilst they walk relaxed on the street, making them having to cooperate with each other, which can possibly lead them to get to know each other afterwards? I guess that, in this way, for example, it doesn't sound forced, it's more natural and, in a way, motivating.

Aye, I couldn't agree more! :D I've always enjoyed action/warfare themed RPs so that's one of my main focuses, obviously I wouldn't want it to turn into a generic Call of Duty RP where there's fighting and nothing but fighting. 😂 Having a opening be eye-catching, blood-pumping and intense enough to get the gears rolling is one of the best ways in my opinion to kickstart a journey. Whether that be the characters have just cavalry charged into the enemy lines during the opening post to relieve the siege of a castle and now quickly clamber together amongst the other survivors of the charge to make their next move unto the foe. (I love that Rohan charge so much. :hearteyes: ) Characters can make note of those that have leadership skills, who's the best fighter and have moments of team work to over-come a well skilled opponent. etc.. etc..

Without a doubt, number one, people that do not read everyone's posts (correctly) and end up writing counteractive replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back