Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
update guys, I literally wrote her a pdf of everything that bothered me in hopes of her becoming a better partner or we can realize that we aren't suitable for each other. wish me luck!
That's such an extreme action to take and I'm kind of living for it. Let us know how it goes and best of luck to you. Hopefully you guys can see eye to eye on some things and get it sorted together!

That's such an extreme action to take and I'm kind of living for it. Let us know how it goes and best of luck to you. Hopefully you guys can see eye to eye on some things and get it sorted together!

I can be very extra about things but I'd rather not have my time wasted anymore. and I can't just have pent up thoughts keeping me awake (like it literally just did) so I feel much better now and im just hoping for the best .

I can be very extra about things but I'd rather not have my time wasted anymore. and I can't just have pent up thoughts keeping me awake (like it literally just did) so I feel much better now and im just hoping for the best .
Mental. Health. First. I know exactly how you feel though. Well, you know, my version of exactly. I've had things like this keep me up before.

Also to stay on topic, another peeve because it's happening with that same partner I just mentioned of 6 years. God I love her.

But people who ask non stop questions about everything and anything. Most of the time, I don't care. I don't care what color shirt your character is wearing please just put on a shirt and go on.

But people who ask non stop questions about everything and anything. Most of the time, I don't care. I don't care what color shirt your character is wearing please just put on a shirt and go on.

I feel seen. Lol in my defense it’s usually more like how do characters get from point a to point b. Like yo are they driving? Are they flying? Do they take a magic carpet? Mostly because it sort of alters where my character ends up depending on the mode of transportation.

I am also the kind of person that does a lot of nerdy world building on the back end. I literally have websites bookmarked that help you figure out the cost of something in 1991 so that I can properly tell my partner how much the aforementioned travel costs. I also do stuff like work our floor plans of houses or farms and will make little maps of stuff. Mostly because I like to have a sense of space in scenes.

I am good about not showing my partners all the stuff though. It’s mostly just for my own writing.

I feel seen. Lol in my defense it’s usually more like how do characters get from point a to point b. Like yo are they driving? Are they flying? Do they take a magic carpet? Mostly because it sort of alters where my character ends up depending on the mode of transportation.

I am also the kind of person that does a lot of nerdy world building on the back end. I literally have websites bookmarked that help you figure out the cost of something in 1991 so that I can properly tell my partner how much the aforementioned travel costs. I also do stuff like work our floor plans of houses or farms and will make little maps of stuff. Mostly because I like to have a sense of space in scenes.

I am good about not showing my partners all the stuff though. It’s mostly just for my own writing.
Oh wow that's really impressive actually. I've always been a bit envious of people who could really dive into the world building on their end like that. To me? I just end up losing a lot of interest when it seems like I'm more building and planning than actually roleplaying. It sounds like you keep yours pretty single sided and to yourself though.

I used to do that but then I just got tired of putting in a lot of effort into such a finicky hobby. People up and ghost all the time and it's more exhausting for me to try and build things up just for it to immediately drown. Heck, if I get out of the planning phase and we both get past 2 posts, I'm impressed now days.

Oh wow that's really impressive actually. I've always been a bit envious of people who could really dive into the world building on their end like that. To me? I just end up losing a lot of interest when it seems like I'm more building and planning than actually roleplaying. It sounds like you keep yours pretty single sided and to yourself though.

I used to do that but then I just got tired of putting in a lot of effort into such a finicky hobby. People up and ghost all the time and it's more exhausting for me to try and build things up just for it to immediately drown. Heck, if I get out of the planning phase and we both get past 2 posts, I'm impressed now days.

See I recycle a lot of settings so I am like even if I don’t do this exact map it’s still a good starting point for next time.

Plus just like world building for myself anyway. So not having a partner doesn’t really change my engagement with the world itself.

When the roleplays lets players play as members of either of two conflicting groups.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good in theory but it sort of hinges on the GM doing a lot of work in order to not be a complete dumpsterfire and most GMs seemingly just throw it in there to attract more people to the rp without putting any fucking thought into it.

When the roleplays lets players play as members of either two conflicting groups.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good in theory but it sort of hinges on the GM doing a lot of work in order to not be a complete dumpsterfire and most GMs seemingly just throw it in there to attract more people to the rp without putting any fucking thought into it.
Hmm, I've done this before where everyone was in a tense ceasefire and there was an option to be a member of neither organisation, but I would agree it takes a lot of work from both the players and the GM, so it very rarely works.

Not super angry about it or anything, just feelin' let down that I almost landed a fandom roleplay with somebody who seemed like they were really eager and excited because we both wanted a roleplay with the exact same character alongside our OC's. We were gonna double up and make each other happy, and then bam, they just stopped replying to me.

I know they mentioned they were busy/stressed about a week and a half ago. I'm honestly more concerned than anything, and hope they're okay. I'm not going to bother that person, all I can do is move on and hope to find another taker. If I never find anybody so be it, and there's still the hope that person could show interest again in the future. It's May, it's possible they among a lot of other people have finals to study for if they're in school.

It's best to just try and be patient with people. You don't want to show any hostility over somebody being inactive in the event they really do have something going on in their life. If you get angry at someone, you'll push them away and then they'll DEFINITELY never roleplay with you.

This isn’t really anyone’s fault, just an annoying coincidence that drove me away from group roleplays (I have other reasons too, not just this one)

When you write something and post it, only to have somebody else reply to the post you replied to, and what you said totally contradicts what they said. Ugh, I hate it so much xD

getting into a RP that has a fun premises, then getting it started along only to have the GM, the person who pushes the story along, to never even participate in their own RP more than once a day, leaving all the people involved on hold and at the whims of their schedule. Like, why would you even make this RP and get people involved if we have to wait on the SINGLE post you put out there in a day? I’m not gonna sit around in a desert and wait for single drop of water.

getting into a RP that has a fun premises, then getting it started along only to have the GM, the person who pushes the story along, to never even participate in their own RP more than once a day, leaving all the people involved on hold and at the whims of their schedule. Like, why would you even make this RP and get people involved if we have to wait on the SINGLE post you put out there in a day? I’m not gonna sit around in a desert and wait for single drop of water.
This isnt really an issue. Maybe ask about how frequenting the GM would post. I been in rp where everyone posted once or twice a week.

This isnt really an issue. Maybe ask about how frequenting the GM would post. I been in rp where everyone posted once or twice a week.
It’s not the issue of the players, but the GM. while if the story wasn’t locked behind a story progression post from the GM this would be okay, it’s not. I shouldn’t have to ask WHEN a person whose running the roleplay is going to post. It should be one of the things they are upfront with.

I dunno. I'm tired of all the Canon x OC stuff out there. I get it, people wanna be in the story. But the story already has rich constructed characters that we know well enough to plot for. I've been seriously burned by bad OCs to the point where it's a miracle if I can find someone who hasn't married themselves to their OC concept and won't take 'no' for an answer when I voice concerns or suggestions.

This isn’t really anyone’s fault, just an annoying coincidence that drove me away from group roleplays (I have other reasons too, not just this one)

When you write something and post it, only to have somebody else reply to the post you replied to, and what you said totally contradicts what they said. Ugh, I hate it so much xD

This is why posting order is a good idea.

Sometimes I annoy myself by reading a post, thinking up a super cool reply, and then re-reading the post and realising that what I was going to write wouldn't fit with what was established. XD

I dunno. I'm tired of all the Canon x OC stuff out there. I get it, people wanna be in the story. But the story already has rich constructed characters that we know well enough to plot for. I've been seriously burned by bad OCs to the point where it's a miracle if I can find someone who hasn't married themselves to their OC concept and won't take 'no' for an answer when I voice concerns or suggestions.
While this can definitely be an issue, for me it really depends on what the suggestion is. For example, I've been asked to switch my character to a lesbian because they changed their mind about who they wanted to write (I declined), been asked to switch their gender because apparently being a member of half of the population was "improbable considering her magical parents" even when I explained the reasons why they didn't choose to change her into a male (also declined). I've had a few greyer ones where it might've been interesting to explore but it simply didn't interest me, like someone asked what about making my character have no powers (my irritation with this was that they really should've raised this before I submitted the sheet as her powers were tied into her personality and backstory).

If it's the more general stuff, like she's too pretty or too powerful, I either explain it or agree to tone it back. It can get annoying though if they have twenty suggestions on how your character should change.

I always find it enteraining whenever I make a religious character and there's always 'that guy' who spends an uncomfortable amount of time internally bitching about my character's harmless beliefs. 🤷‍♂️

Is it an 'I'm 13 and religion is smelly' thing?

I think it's more of a "i'm too lazy to come up with a legitimate reason to dislike another character so i'm going to take any difference between us and make it a issue.." thing.

Not really angry but it's just kind of out there for me when I see characters being described as being submissive or dominant. I have seen it on different platforms and even here. Whatever happened to simply playing a character?

I'm popping back in because this is truly a bewildering thing happening today. And I don't know what's going on.

I've had a few people reach out to me with either zero punctuation or mispelled words or words with letters missing that I need to kind of guess their intent. I mean, hashing out plots together is the first impression you make with a potential writing partner. I feel like people who can't bother to proofread a simple 1-2 sentence PM aren't going to put in effort in an actual story when I'm looking for 3-4 paragraphs of detail and thought.

Even if they're on their phones, surely they can double tap for a period or notice a typo and fix it. I'd rather people not hastily reply and instead take a few minutes to double-check their stuff.

I make mistakes myself but at the basic level, punctuation and spelling should be pretty easy to be mindful of, at least 90% of the time.

So yeah, if people can't capitalize the first letter of their sentence or use a period, I'm a bit unsure of their effort/interest.

I've had a few people reach out to me with either zero punctuation or mispelled words or words with letters missing that I need to kind of guess their intent. I mean, hashing out plots together is the first impression you make with a potential writing partner. I feel like people who can't bother to proofread a simple 1-2 sentence PM aren't going to put in effort in an actual story when I'm looking for 3-4 paragraphs of detail and thought.
Welcome to RPN! I notice it's worse here than other platforms I use for RP.
I'm sure someone will argue because their experience has been different but between several sites I use, I notice that happening here more than the others.

I'm popping back in because this is truly a bewildering thing happening today. And I don't know what's going on.

Even if they're on their phones, surely they can double tap for a period or notice a typo and fix it. I'd rather people not hastily reply and instead take a few minutes to double-check their stuff.

I make mistakes myself but at the basic level, punctuation and spelling should be pretty easy to be mindful of, at least 90% of the time.

So yeah, if people can't capitalize the first letter of their sentence or use a period, I'm a bit unsure of their effort/interest.
While I agree people should write more detail. I also seen where someone would repeat stuff to fill in for long respones. To me that not detail post if your describing scenery 5 or 6 times. I figured out a way to fix that for myself.

Last edited:
I know its been said already recently but...
People who take a look at your thread, acknowledge that you said you don't do something, then try to tell you they're different and to give that no a try with them.
Just respect when people say they're not interested in something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back