Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a big pet peeve of mine is when a partner seems very hyped on a topic with you and is even ready to get a started ready, but then totally never respond ever again. It also bothers me when someone comes into my DMs asking to RP a fandom I am not familiar with 😓 It gets a little awkward

my rp pet peeve, which spans over so much of this site: art theft!

it is sooo prevalent its ridiculous. if you didn't create the art you use for your characters, don't edit it, repost it, and use it when you never explicitly asked permission from the original artist. i say this as an artist who's trying to make a career from my hard work and passions, and who's had their art stolen and used w/o permission before, if you didn't ask/didn't make it, then don't do it!

it shows that you don't respect artists, even if you say you do. & if you'd like art of your characters to use for roleplays, either take the take to learn the skills like other artists and i have (which has taken us years of practice, likely) or commission your favorite artists and support our careers!
:^)

I agree!! As an artist I think its really important to at least credit the artist where you got your face claim from, I understand sometimes not having a visual is difficult when roleplaying, so just finding the source is awesome (I have found a lot of great artists through pinterest that have the sources! Otherwise, its nearly impossible to find them if the image is altered in some way, or even just not being credited properly) Though, just commissioning an artist for a character drawing is ideal :blowkiss:

But well, one if my biggest pet peeves when it comes to roleplay is when people don't read my roleplay rules and they expect to open exceptions for them.
This happens frequently to me, unfortunately.
It is rather annoying to receive messages from people who don't really have an idea of my roleplay preferences.
No offense, I am not saying that I am better or worse than anybody else when roleplaying, but I expect my roleplay partner to write in a certain way, and when we don't really match its definitely because they messaged me without reading my preferences. I always redirect them to my preferences' page, but I believe that 95% of them don't actually read it 😅
This. Right. Here.
I feel you on so many levels. I think some people pick and choose what they want to read of a request thread. The thing I see more often on request threads is the creator clearly states "Please don't post here." with a round of people ignoring it. I like to think of someone's rules as a way to see whether we are compatible or not. It's not just for the benefit of the poster but mine too, if I don't like what I read I move on.

my rp pet peeve, which spans over so much of this site: art theft!

it is sooo prevalent its ridiculous. if you didn't create the art you use for your characters, don't edit it, repost it, and use it when you never explicitly asked permission from the original artist. i say this as an artist who's trying to make a career from my hard work and passions, and who's had their art stolen and used w/o permission before, if you didn't ask/didn't make it, then don't do it!

it shows that you don't respect artists, even if you say you do. & if you'd like art of your characters to use for roleplays, either take the take to learn the skills like other artists and i have (which has taken us years of practice, likely) or commission your favorite artists and support our careers!
:^)

See ... I totally understand this, but as an artist myself, I don't have a problem with people using art to represent characters/locations etc without credit unless the original poster has explicitly said not to do it. No one is making money out of using someone else's art for an avatar or character pic. It's personal use, and being used for one specific innocuous purpose. I mean legally and morally you're right but I'm finding it hard to feel like I care that much about this issue. And no, I wouldn't mind if someone used my art for an rp character pic unless I'm also using it on the same site for mine. I'd prefer credit but if not it's just not a big deal to me. If someone claims art is theirs or monetising it then we have a problem. But otherwise, eh.

The one thing I do find vexing is when people say "credit to the artist". Haven't seen it here but it used to be all over a different site I was on. Either state the name of the artist or don't say anything at all.

Hey, don't take it as an attack. It definitely wasn't my intention. Everything is fine.
You are using data collected from (I think, as I am rather new here) a long period of time, from experiences you've had with several different users, and I am not invalidating them in any way. It is, in fact, however, your point of view, as generalising often leads to conclusions that might not be the most accurate at times, due to the fact that generalising is "jumping into the unknown". In philosophy, there are criteria that must need to be followed in order to make such generalisations, and therefore I was simply explaining that, indeed, it is illogical to generalise in this case.
For instance, the sentence "All crows are black" is, in fact, a generalisation, but a wrong one, because there is a significant number of crows that are, in fact, not black.

But once again, I am, by no means, trying to state that what you said is incorrect. I am simply stating that there are many examples that are an exception for that generalisation.

I think you also vastly misunderstood my point. At no point did I say all people do not roleplay with children for X reason. I might have used a silly number for it (99.9%) but it was still my intention to indicate that it was not 100% accurate 100% percent of the time.

When asked I even clarified that it was a MAJORITY of people who feel that way.

So to use your own example I never once said that all crows are black. I said that a majority of crows I have seen with my own eyes are black. But I have certainly seen crows who are different colors with my own eyes as well. Further the reason I brought up black crows specifically is because they were relevant to the original question.

I don’t feel attacked but I’m starting to think you do. As you are the one doubling down on this all crows aren’t black narrative when I never once indicated that they were.

I agree!! As an artist I think its really important to at least credit the artist where you got your face claim from, I understand sometimes not having a visual is difficult when roleplaying, so just finding the source is awesome (I have found a lot of great artists through pinterest that have the sources! Otherwise, its nearly impossible to find them if the image is altered in some way, or even just not being credited properly) Though, just commissioning an artist for a character drawing is ideal :blowkiss:

There are also sites like picrew or dolldivine where you can “create” your own character. I used it to make my current avatar (all my avatars actually I cycle through when I find a fun new maker).

Additionally for photos you can use public domain images that are taken with the specific intention of people using them for whatever.

A bonus of using those is that you get to customize your character (picrew) or you can find unused or less popular photos.

As one of my issues with visuals is it feels like everyone uses the same ten visuals and it just ruins the suspension of disbelief for me

Precisely, and it is so important to check those rules. Even in order to improve communication during the roleplay.
For instance, there are people with several trigger warnings, and acknowledging them is so important to create a safe space where people can dialogue freely about what they feel comfortable with or not.
But many people prefer to ignore it.

Something I also dislike is when people break the guidelines when messaging me. Like sending messages asking if I roleplay anywhere else 'I guess that cna be against the guidelines, depending on the situation).
Another fine example of failing to read rules. If they had read them then they would know where your place of interest is to roleplay and all relevant information.

Another peeve of mine. When some, not all because there are those who are true to their word, people say they are understanding and would like to be told up front about whether your interest has declined, something came up, etc. However, when you are open with them they either become passive aggressive or feel like you owe them something or flip out.
Nope.

I was in an RP that lasted three posts. It was gaining momentum for a few weeks. It's the 'RPs dying really quickly' problem taken to the logical extreme.
I was the last one to post so I don't know if I was guilty or not, like I did something wrong. It's been bugging me.

I was in an RP that lasted three posts. It was gaining momentum for a few weeks. It's the 'RPs dying really quickly' problem taken to the logical extreme.
I was the last one to post so I don't know if I was guilty or not, like I did something wrong. It's been bugging me.

When did it die? Because it could be everyone else got busy with IRL stuff

When did it die? Because it could be everyone else got busy with IRL stuff
This was really recent. Like, a week ago.
Realistically, everyone involved should've been the opposite of busy, given the virus.

The guy who ran it now has an error page for a profile, so I don't know what happened there.

This was really recent. Like, a week ago.
Realistically, everyone involved should've been the opposite of busy, given the virus.

The guy who ran it now has an error page for a profile, so I don't know what happened there.

It could be they got sick, they lost internet, they had to deal with any number of IRL issues that came up in relation to the virus. Just cuz we aren’t at work doesn’t automatically follow we have a lot of free time. Especially if they can work from home or the like.

I mean yeah I personally am doing nothing but sleeping and roleplaying but I recognize that’s not everyone else’s reality right now.

That said a simpler explanation might just be the person running the game was banned and that spooked the rest of the group. It fits with the profile being deleted.

Seriously, I may have said this before, can't remember for sure. But seriously annoys me when I post rules saying no script, During discussion no script and what I mean by that is brought up to make sure they know the lingo. Even mention I don't just hate typing script I don't like reading it.

Then after making the starter I get a reply in script.

I wish more people were into playing non-picture perfect, model-esque characters. Or someone older than 29.

Granted, a lot of my more recent characters are those picture perfect, twenty something year olds, but that's mostly because I feel obligated to make them. To fit into the crowd or something??? Which is weird and stupid but eh... I'm working on it.

I wish more people were into playing non-picture perfect, model-esque characters. Or someone older than 29.

Granted, a lot of my more recent characters are those picture perfect, twenty something year olds, but that's mostly because I feel obligated to make them. To fit into the crowd or something??? Which is weird and stupid but eh... I'm working on it.

Do they do visuals? Because as a chubby girl it is distressingly hard to find fuller figured women art OR photos if you don't know what you're doing. As a lot of times with a simple google search or the like you end up with a lot of fetishy creep images.

Outside of actors, what are you gonna use, outside of maybe some actors? You don't want to dip into using people's personal pictures, and the wealth of pictures of older people are stock images, which are usually unintentionally funny or weird, or watermarked to Hell and back.

I'm all for more diversity in character types, but at that rate, you're better off just describing a character.

Do they do visuals? Because as a chubby girl it is distressingly hard to find fuller figured women art OR photos if you don't know what you're doing. As a lot of times with a simple google search or the like you end up with a lot of fetishy creep images.
Yeah, I knew a guy who accidentally used said images. It was awkward for everyone involved.

Outside of actors, what are you gonna use, outside of maybe some actors?

So if you are just looking at photos here you go :

Unsplash has collections which help for finding specific types of images.
Fuller Figures | 100+ best free human, woman, female and clothing photos on Unsplash (this is what I use for fuller figured women)

For art/anime/whatever
Picrew|つくってあそべる画像メーカー ( can use on mobiles, can also be translated using your browser or app on phone)
https://www.azaleasdolls.com/ (on desktop only)
|meiker.io (mobile)

The photo websites all have public domain images and pretty decent searches. The dollmakers (art) are deliberately created for you to make your own character.

Request Thread: If a pairing or plot on here piques your interest, please send me a PM. Tell me about some ideas you have for pairings that may have caught your attention or if it's one of my plots please, help me add to them.

PM sent:
I'm interested in these.
*Princess x Prince
*King x Queen
*Royalty x Commoner
*Good Girl x Bad Boy

Request Thread Poster: Hi, do you have some ideas for those pairings? I actually wanted to us to come up with ideas together.

Response: I want to play the princess. An idea is she can be half elf.

A massive pet peeve. When the RP is not actually a roleplay at all. It's just someone trying to tell some story to a captive audience and not even paying a quarter of attention to the other persons reply before continuing on with some thing that makes your character might as well not be their. It all just becomes nonsensical.

Usually when confronting them they either ghost, get all hurt feeling you didn't like the story or try to guilt trip. Actual back and forth with one person. I kid you not.

"This isn't working. Actually read the back and forth on both our sides and you aren't even RPing with me. I'm going to be blunt, this is coming off as a trolling."

"NO NON NO NON ONONO ON PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Don't say that! You write so much better than my other partners, I have so many plans for this RP. I've wanted to RP this for so long with someone! But I really needed your character to do some of what mine did to move the story but every time I ask people to do certain things they accuse me of not really RPing and ghost me (Insert city worth of sad emoji)

"You weren't RPing. You just wrote a part of a story waited until I wasted my time and wrote another part of it. And no, telling someone what they have to do to move a story is not considered okay in a roleplay where someone is playing a character role they made up."

"I knew you would say that. It won't kill someone to try something new you know! People are so selfish!"

"Oh, I'm selfish? WHo wasted someone's time agreeing to someone's rules and even listened to how they don't do railroad and roughshod and just blatantly lied about an RP and wasted someone's time? So basically you knew I would accuse you of not really wanting to make a story WITH ME as is what RPing is, so instead just ignored me which is also not RPing. This isn't even a story. Actually read both our sides and this doesn't make sense. You had your character waking up the next day after my character asked you a question! I had my character look at a book you handed him yelling LOOK AT THIS! and you didn't even go on to say what he was looking at! If I have to do certain step by steps for you to even pay attention to my replies then I'm out. You just need to write a story yourself and ask someone to look at it instead of wasting their time pretending you want to play a game. And I needed my character to do things they did? You mean finding the hidden switches that were not even hinted at, picking up previously mention book that both glowed AND was picked up by your character is one single reply by you? No you can not railroad my character but frankly you didn't even drop hints for me to act on at any point. Just plowed trough with you character doing everything and ignoring anything my character did to search this place you so wanted someone to help you explore."

"Nobody ever understands! I should just not talk to anybody! I'm apparently just a time waste!"

"Don't worry you won't be wasting anymore of my time. Good day." (Blocked)

That's consequences of being expected to use faceclaims babey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back