Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is it isn’t creepy if there is no romantic undertone. What is creepy about me pretending I got a Hogwarts letter and now I get go work with Dragons in Romania with Charlie Weasley? I mean if I legit think that’s possible sure it’s weird. But if I’m just pretending where is the harm in that?
I think there's a big gap between using it for that type of wish fulfillment and insecure people derailing an RP with a self-insert designed not to tell engaging stories with other players, but to make them look as cool as possible. The latter is probably what Phantom Thief is talking about.

I think there's a big gap between using it for that type of wish fulfillment and insecure people derailing an RP with a self-insert designed not to tell engaging stories with other players, but to make them look as cool as possible. The latter is probably what Phantom Thief is talking about.
Well given the examples I cited... yes

I will admit things got rather weird when my self insert dated Voldemort

So I think your misunderstanding my point. I am explicitly not talking about romance in any way shape or form.

Like real unpopular opinion here every time someone says their writing escapism that isn’t code with - “I’m pretending to bone/date this fictional character I like.”

Sometimes it can be something totally platonic about living in that world. So it would be something like “ I’m pretending I have magic powers and I am training dragons to do tricks.”

There is nothing inherently sexual or romantic about the second idea but it is also a form of escapism. And that is essentially what I have been talking about this entire time.

People who want to pretend they live in some made up world and can live their lives in idealized ways without it having anything to do with pairing up sexually or romantically.

So I think your misunderstanding my point. I am explicitly not talking about romance in any way shape or form.

Like real unpopular opinion here every time someone says their writing escapism that isn’t code with - “I’m pretending to bone/date this fictional character I like.”

Sometimes it can be something totally platonic about living in that world. So it would be something like “ I’m pretending I have magic powers and I am training dragons to do tricks.”

There is nothing inherently sexual or romantic about the second idea but it is also a form of escapism. And that is essentially what I have been talking about this entire time.

People who want to pretend they live in some made up world and can live their lives in idealized ways without it having anything to do with pairing up sexually or romantically.

People need to forget about the junk and just focus on story telling.

When you come at a project from day one with a "I want to tell a really good story" frame of mind, you will find good partners, and the good ones will stick it out for as long as you stay committed and do your part to care for it along the way. People feel as though you can see a good movie, show, read a good comic or book, then produce a generic plot with no structure and direction, and expect it to just turn itself into the next play by post masterpiece, holding together all the involved parties until the end. That's not been my experience with RP. When a group of people (especially randoms) just spitball everything, it falls apart. One by one people drop out. And listen. I'm going to attempt to clear the air here. Sometimes they might just lose interest - rando rp kinda sucks if you really wanna roll your sleeves up - but usually it's because another rp has consumed their time. Sometimes it's a mix of both as a result of losing interest in the first place.

Seriously. Forget about the junk and just do what makes you happy.

is also a form of escapism. And that is essentially what I have been talking about this entire time.
Escapism isn't bad. It's the reason we like the things we like. It's the point of roleplaying, and where most genres got their start. I'm actually a big proponent of not shrugging off escapism because someone thinks it's dumb.

People need to forget about the junk and just focus on story telling.

When you come at a project from day one with a "I want to tell a really good story" frame of mind, you will find good partners, and the good ones will stick it out for as long as you stay committed and do your part to care for it along the way. People feel as though you can see a good movie, show, read a good comic or book, then produce a generic plot with no structure and direction, and expect it to just turn itself into the next play by post masterpiece, holding together all the involved parties until the end. That's not been my experience with RP. When a group of people (especially randoms) just spitball everything, it falls apart. One by one people drop out. And listen. I'm going to attempt to clear the air here. Sometimes they might just lose interest - rando rp kinda sucks if you really wanna roll your sleeves up - but usually it's because another rp has consumed their time. Sometimes it's a mix of both as a result of losing interest in the first place.

Seriously. Forget about the junk and just do what makes you happy.
I agree... with most of it. Personally, it's still a roll of the die to see if you get very talented storytellers... hell I'm surprised the RP I'm in is still going in spite of many hurdles, let alone getting RP of the month. Honestly, I think it's less about forgetting "the junk" and more of putting aside one's ego.

A humble soul can get far in life.

Wait, you won't read a story with shapeshifting because it is against your religion (some version of Christianity), but you are okay with a story with multiple gods?

*facepalm* I don't understand you at all.

Wait, you won't read a story with shapeshifting because it is against your religion (some version of Christianity), but you are okay with a story with multiple gods?

*facepalm* I don't understand you at all.

um I might be hella lapsed but I’m 70% sure that’s total bullshit. I don’t remember no shapeshifters in any of my bible school classes.

um I might be hella lapsed but I’m 70% sure that’s total bullshit. I don’t remember no shapeshifters in any of my bible school classes.
According to the person, magic is a no-no. Shapeshifting is magic. Though, in the story I wrote, the shapeshifting was framed as a divine gift from the deity of the moon.

According to the person, magic is a no-no. Shapeshifting is magic. Though, in the story I wrote, the shapeshifting was framed as a divine gift from the deity of the moon.
Magic is a no-no? Jeez, and I thought the parent who banned their kid from reading Harry potter because it contained witchcraft was a troll.

According to my logic, divine beings, along with anything associated with them, are a form of magic.

Really the only difference is terminology.

I mean a far bigger no no is false gods so I still say that’s donkey dooky. Then again a lot of folk seem to have selective reading of the Bible.

Frankly if your gonna be a pill about it “God Bless and get out”

Fun game: Find some random fanatic who uses the bible to support their bigoted views and then make fake bible quotes, siting lines and paragraphs, that agree with their sentiments and see how quick they are to believe they exist.

Magic is a no-no? Jeez, and I thought the parent who banned their kid from reading Harry potter because it contained witchcraft was a troll.
Sadly, I feel like this is his own self-imposed rules.

According to my logic, divine beings, along with anything associated with them, are a form of magic.

Really the only difference is terminology.
I agree with you on that. I half want to drop the phrase "All life is magic" to see what he'll say.

I mean a far bigger no no is false gods so I still say that’s donkey dooky. Then again a lot of folk seem to have selective reading of the Bible.

Frankly if your gonna be a pill about it “God Bless and get out”
I was hoping that he would back out of the group, once we moved onto the topic of fantasy, but he stuck around. Then he mentioned he won't read anything with curse words, and he is learning Japanese so he can watch anime because the Japanese language doesn't have curse words! *sigh* A falsehood.

Sadly, I feel like this is his own self-imposed rules.

I agree with you on that. I half want to drop the phrase "All life is magic" to see what he'll say.

I was hoping that he would back out of the group, once we moved onto the topic of fantasy, but he stuck around. Then he mentioned he won't read anything with curse words, and he is learning Japanese so he can watch anime because the Japanese language doesn't have curse words! *sigh* A falsehood.

Wait how do you legitimately think any language has no curse words? My mom lived in Japan when she was FiVE and she knows a Japanese curse word.

I mean on the one hand good for you to broaden your horizons. Facepalm forever at being a ignorant dickwad about why.

No! I like you.
Don't despair. I had heard about a kid confronting those types of parents. I believe they said "Oh, wow. You're grown-ups who can't tell the difference between make-believe and reality."
I was just kidding, but thanks for the concern =)

While this is obviously not true, perhaps he meant curse words relating to religion? Like maybe he's OK with the, er, bodily function and sex act words, but draws the line at "Goddamnit" and so forth.

While this is obviously not true, perhaps he meant curse words relating to religion? Like maybe he's OK with the, er, bodily function and sex act words, but draws the line at "Goddamnit" and so forth.
He has a problem with bodily functions and sex act ones in English.

Just gonna say that using this thread to talk about other members on this forum in such a way that it's obvious who you're referring to is kind of a shitty thing to do. At least try to hide it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back