Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Related to omitting character details, when people omit their real feelings about the plot. I had a girl drop a roleplay and have the gall to tell me as she left that I needed to work on my communication and tendency to bulldoze my partners.

How did I do this you ask? By asking her if she would like to do my idea for a plot.

Like how dare I ??!

I told her that it might help HER to work on her communication as well. If you don’t like an idea just say so outright. That way no ones time is wasted and I don’t have to deal with you having a diva fit randomly in the middle of plotting.

Related to omitting character details, when people omit their real feelings about the plot. I had a girl drop a roleplay and have the gall to tell me as she left that I needed to work on my communication and tendency to bulldoze my partners.

How did I do this you ask? By asking her if she would like to do my idea for a plot.

Like how dare I ??!

I told her that it might help HER to work on her communication as well. If you don’t like an idea just say so outright. That way no ones time is wasted and I don’t have to deal with you having a diva fit randomly in the middle of plotting.
Sometimes people completely misinterpret what you're trying to say/do and that's when I usually come across that kind of situation. That and when you critize someones perfect mary sue. Prepare for your character to be ripped to shreds.

But yeah if I'm not keen on a plot idea I usually either say so or try and work it out.

Sometimes people completely misinterpret what you're trying to say/do and that's when I usually come across that kind of situation. That and when you critize someones perfect mary sue. Prepare for your character to be ripped to shreds.

But yeah if I'm not keen on a plot idea I usually either say so or try and work it out.

So there was a misunderstanding at first but I went back and made abundantly clear we were on the same page and they were fine with it.

Until they wanted to leave, which happened when I refused to make the starter for the roleplay. I was busy at the time and I was like can you make the starter? Or if not can you help me finish fleshing things out until I can get around to it. And that’s when they decided to leave in a huff.

So there was a misunderstanding at first but I went back and made abundantly clear we were on the same page and they were fine with it.

Until they wanted to leave, which happened when I refused to make the starter for the roleplay. I was busy at the time and I was like can you make the starter? Or if not can you help me finish fleshing things out until I can get around to it. And that’s when they decided to leave in a huff.
Sometimes I can be like that because you like the idea you just have no real idea how to get it moving. I try to say that though instead of just storming off, as that's just rude.

I recently had someone who was like "oh we can start with my character coming across yours by accident" and then was like "oh no I can't start, could you just write her doing whatever but don't write my character into it"

Great, give me a lot to work with why don't you?

In the cases you're both describing,
It sounds like the other persons didn't want to do any work. But that wouldn't make much sense because if you're into this sort of roleplaying, there's always some work to be done. Maybe they were only willing to do a certain amount of work and any more than that was just too much? Either way, it's no use for a person to be a baby about it.

Share the load, Samwise. Frodo can't get far without you.

It sounds like the other persons didn't want to do any work. But that wouldn't make much sense because if you're into this sort of roleplaying, there's always some work to be done. Maybe they were only willing to do a certain amount of work and any more than that was just too much? Either way, it's no use for a person to be a baby about it.

Yeah, his responses seemed really disintered when I wanted to talk about his character, which immediately put the red flags up.

Oh no that makes tons of sense. I once had a partner specifically say that they didn’t want to do any work in the roleplay and that everything would be on me. So some people do prefer to be passive participants in roleplays.

It was just frustrating because the persons search said they liked to help with world building and what not. But it’s like the second we went with my idea I was doing all the work. Which in hindsight makes sense, it was their passive aggressive way of getting back at me for “bulldozing” them. But it is still kind of sucky.

Like I can’t read your mind Karen, if you tell me everything is okay I will take you at your word

Last edited:
My biggest annoyance happened earlier, when a potential partner demanded writing samples, and then after approving them, had the gall to turn around and say that they didn't double and only played female characters.

...I'm sorry, what? No. Especially since I was very straight forward with the expectation of doubling.

My biggest annoyance happened earlier, when a potential partner demanded writing samples, and then after approving them, had the gall to turn around and say that they didn't double and only played female characters.

...I'm sorry, what? No. Especially since I was very straight forward with the expectation of doubling.

Yeah I mean I at least offer an alternative. I'll be like "Yo I don't actually ship my characters with anyone so I'm totally down just playing the love interest for you. You don't need to make anyone for me. If you like feel the spirit move you though I would be fine with some kind of platonic secondary pairing."

I'm not gonna be all - oh I don't play the specific gender you asked for or do the thing you asked for either.

And that's a perfectly reasonable alternative, and honestly, that's easier to work with! I would just want to be sure that the plot also engages your characters as well so that you're still having fun- because honestly, that's the important part. I've always been big on fun, and just playing ghostwriter to someone's fan fiction isn't fun.

To be perfectly honest, though, as I've gotten older, having friendship centered interactions are much more rewarding than just straight romance. Give it a slow burn, let it be something that manifests, but, create synergy between outside characters. It tends to be a lot more engaging, and does wonders for everyone else involved.

But usually the 'I only play one gender' people are only interested in romance, which again, is fine, but, not as much fun.

Having friendship centered interactions are much more rewarding than just straight romance. Give it a slow burn, let it be something that manifests, but, create synergy between outside characters. It tends to be a lot more engaging, and does wonders for everyone else involved.

Aye, it's always made me giggle when a romance is forced from the beginning.. or that people throw up a large list of reasons why my character would accept theirs advances. I've noticed that alot of people (young-un's) want the end goal of being in a relationship without the journey of a platonic one. ~ which feels completely hollow to me 😂

Aye, it's always made me giggle when a romance is forced from the beginning.. or that people throw up a large list of reasons why my character would accept theirs advances. I've noticed that alot of people (young-un's) want the end goal of being in a relationship without the journey of a platonic one. ~ which feels completely hollow to me 😂
Yes! And I'm always willing to give young ones a chance, because, you know- I learned a lot from a 25 year old (at the time) who gave me the time of day, but, it's usually super young people who want that and I have to quietly tell them 'this is how disasters in real life happen. Being friends and feeling each other out is a good thing'. When I usually get those lists of why- I usually counter act them with 'but then they miss out on a lot of integral foundations that will help the relationship stay stable' and kind of outline it for them- try to make that build up exciting and mimic a more true to life experience.

Or if ya want the foundation plotted out than go all the way and just have them deal with the consequences of a relationship built entirely on - Yo you hot, let's get together." I mean not to name names but I got family who had that take on relationships. And you can do a lot of personal growth by actually realizing "Oh hey I legit don't know anything about the real you. Only the cute company you that you put on to impress me."

Yes! And I'm always willing to give young ones a chance, because, you know- I learned a lot from a 25 year old (at the time) who gave me the time of day, but, it's usually super young people who want that and I have to quietly tell them 'this is how disasters in real life happen. Being friends and feeling each other out is a good thing'. When I usually get those lists of why- I usually counter act them with 'but then they miss out on a lot of integral foundations that will help the relationship stay stable' and kind of outline it for them- try to make that build up exciting and mimic a more true to life experience.

I blame Disney and all these Rom-Com clichés that always end on a happy note with people getting together and blah blah Snow White.. blah blah 😂 Though writing that makes me feel as though I come across like a old man that wants nothing but misery upon these innocent kids... 🤣 Relationships can be explosive at times, amazing, depressing... all colors of the rainbow, it doesn't have to be a generic 'cookie cutter' Knight and the Princess malarkey 😭

Playing an already married couple is pretty rad. Courtship phase is over, how does their relationship actually work?

I blame Disney and all these Rom-Com clichés that always end on a happy note with people getting together and blah blah Snow White.. blah blah 😂 Though writing that makes me feel as though I come across like a old man that wants nothing but misery upon these innocent kids... 🤣 Relationships can be explosive at times, amazing, depressing... all colors of the rainbow, it doesn't have to be a generic 'cookie cutter' Knight and the Princess malarkey 😭

I would say that really in those cases what your lacking is character investment. If you don’t care about the characters you are obviously not going to give a crap about their love story.

It’s what good Disney movies/rom-coms/romance stories have that a lot of inexperienced writers struggle with. This idea that you have to make your reader really emotionally invested in the relationships between your characters. And that starts by making them care about the characters themselves.

I think a lot of romance writers (professional and roleplay) forget that just because they are invested in their characters doesn’t mean their readers are too. I have read a lot of romances where halfway through I was so bored I wanted a meteor to kill off half the cast just so I had some interesting to read about.

or I hated one or both of the love interests so much I hoped they got hit by a bus.

Neither of which is a good emotional state to make me root for happily ever after

Im glad someone tied in the bads and goods of disney movie thinking. My wife and I are fed up with Disney's Star Wars movies because they have no "meat and potatoes". The older movies had the characters develop naturally, and didn't try to conjure romance out of thin air. I mean, as awkward and cringey the Skywalkers' drama was, it still sweetened the plot.

Whereas episodes 7 and 8 are like "TADAH" with just about everything. Instant Romantic Interest! Instant Self Sacrifice! Instant Self Sacrifice to stop another Self Sacrifice! Instant Heroine! Instant Turncoat to thwart a contrived Dark Romance!

Me: Instant Franchise Fatigue.

Last edited:
A big annoyance is in RPs with action and they just run in and try to blaze through hordes of enemies like it's nothing

No. I like my RP Partners and Players to think about what they do. These are usually trained enemies. I blame anime where characters can one man army their way to a kingdom's throne room through their most elite guards. This type of thing is great to watch in an anime, but a nightmare when you want a fantasy or sci-fi RP with balance or an environment where you encourage the player's characters to get stronger as you go.

Usually I warn them in the RP how much of a threat the enemy is, then they still try and blaze through it.

Then I'M the bad guy and I'M the one "controlling their character" when I state that they're getting cut and their armor pierced, or that the guards are using similar types or similar levels of magic. No, I'm not controlling your character. I'm controlling EVERY OTHER CHARACTER your character just rushed in the middle of thinking that they were gonna take all of them. It's. Not. Realistic to the world. It is illogical no matter what world you're in.

No, your character is getting swarmed and stabbed from every direction. Elite is relative and it's relative to OUR CHARACTERS, not relative to the common guard who you also think die in one punch. If I say the enemy is heavily armed, is elite, or you're storming a heavily guarded compound, If you go in weapons blazing, you'd better be packing the firepower because in my RPs, they're gonna be packing the firepower as well.

It's one of those differences between epic-fantasy or high-fantasy RP and fantasy anime RP. Nothing wrong with Anime RP, but it definitely encourages displays of OP abilities. It's also where we get the "18 year old expert mage" or "16 year old created magic that no other person on the planet knows about."

It's because of this that I get a little weary when I see a CS with a Japanese name or a katana as a weapon (in a non-asian inspired RP). If I sense an anime inspired character, I fear an OP character

A big annoyance is in RPs with action and they just run in and try to blaze through hordes of enemies like it's nothing

No. I like my RP Partners and Players to think about what they do. These are usually trained enemies. I blame anime where characters can one man army their way to a kingdom's throne room through their most elite guards. This type of thing is great to watch in an anime, but a nightmare when you want a fantasy or sci-fi RP with balance or an environment where you encourage the player's characters to get stronger as you go.

Usually I warn them in the RP how much of a threat the enemy is, then they still try and blaze through it.

Then I'M the bad guy and I'M the one "controlling their character" when I state that they're getting cut and their armor pierced, or that the guards are using similar types or similar levels of magic. No, I'm not controlling your character. I'm controlling EVERY OTHER CHARACTER your character just rushed in the middle of thinking that they were gonna take all of them. It's. Not. Realistic to the world. It is illogical no matter what world you're in.

No, your character is getting swarmed and stabbed from every direction. Elite is relative and it's relative to OUR CHARACTERS, not relative to the common guard who you also think die in one punch. If I say the enemy is heavily armed, is elite, or you're storming a heavily guarded compound, If you go in weapons blazing, you'd better be packing the firepower because in my RPs, they're gonna be packing the firepower as well.

It's one of those differences between epic-fantasy or high-fantasy RP and fantasy anime RP. Nothing wrong with Anime RP, but it definitely encourages displays of OP abilities. It's also where we get the "18 year old expert mage" or "16 year old created magic that no other person on the planet knows about."

It's because of this that I get a little weary when I see a CS with a Japanese name or a katana as a weapon (in a non-asian inspired RP). If I sense an anime inspired character, I fear an OP character

I feel this as well, and honestly, I stopped doing group roleplays due to this reason. Nearly everyone is overpowered and they don't come to terms with the fact that not every fight is going to be winnable, especially when you're out numbered and you're not using tactics to try and gain the advantage. It just gets boring when these characters never lose- and it's why I'm a big fan of animes that show the main cast getting their asses handed to them because they have this 'no one can take me down' mentality and they don't realize that there are people with far more experience than them.

And I remind people that in wars- not every battle is won.

If I ever did get back into the group scene, I would try to put together a roll system where it can determine the outcome of a fight- so that way they can't just OP their way through an armed battalion.

If I ever did get back into the group scene, I would try to put together a roll system where it can determine the outcome of a fight- so that way they can't just OP their way through an armed battalion.

I find a really simply roll system works well. So it's basically a 3 RNG. You roll one you hit your opponent/knock them out/win the fight. Whatever fits the individual system. You roll two you hit your opponent but they get the chance to retaliate. You roll a three and your ass gets handed to you.

Now onto a pet peeve of mind. It's fairly minor not a deal breaker or something that makes me want to strangle someone through the computer screen.
But it does make me roll my eyes into the back of my head every time I see it.

Personality Section : My character is clumsy (+ other nerdy girl stereotypes like shy, kind, subconsciously pretty, awkward, etc.)

I just want to say - "Hi, Karen not to be a snot but clumsy is NOT a personality trait."

I also low key resent the idea that being shy/awkward/introverted/nerdy/etc. is what makes you clumsy. You know what makes you clumsy? Shit depth perception or bad center of balance.

I mean don't get me wrong I am basically a nerdy girl stereotype IRL.
- Clumsy (yes, because I have shit balance/depth perception)
- Shy (super introverted, please don't make me talk to strangers outside of work)
- Introvert (see above)
- Awkward (look if you don't want to talk nerdy stuff I got nothing.....How's the weather?)
- Closed Off Until I Get To Know You / You indicate slight interest in my Nerdy Interests (hello do you have two hours to talk about parchment in Harry Potter universe)

So I mean I'm not saying it's an unrealistic character trait for someone to have. I'm just saying that clumsy does not belong in the personality section because it's a physical trait.

Now onto a pet peeve of mind. It's fairly minor not a deal breaker or something that makes me want to strangle someone through the computer screen.
But it does make me roll my eyes into the back of my head every time I see it.

Personality Section : My character is clumsy (+ other nerdy girl stereotypes like shy, kind, subconsciously pretty, awkward, etc.)

I just want to say - "Hi, Karen not to be a snot but clumsy is NOT a personality trait."

I also low key resent the idea that being shy/awkward/introverted/nerdy/etc. is what makes you clumsy. You know what makes you clumsy? Shit depth perception or bad center of balance.

I mean don't get me wrong I am basically a nerdy girl stereotype IRL.
- Clumsy (yes, because I have shit balance/depth perception)
- Shy (super introverted, please don't make me talk to strangers outside of work)
- Introvert (see above)
- Awkward (look if you don't want to talk nerdy stuff I got nothing.....How's the weather?)
- Closed Off Until I Get To Know You / You indicate slight interest in my Nerdy Interests (hello do you have two hours to talk about parchment in Harry Potter universe)

So I mean I'm not saying it's an unrealistic character trait for someone to have. I'm just saying that clumsy does not belong in the personality section because it's a physical trait.

I teach kids about making characters from time to time and I always, always, make sure they understand the difference between personality traits and physical traits. So hopefully the next generation will actually get this. XDDDD

I teach kids about making characters from time to time and I always, always, make sure they understand the difference between personality traits and physical traits. So hopefully the next generation will actually get this. XDDDD

I feel like it’s similar to literate. Where in writing circles it means something totally different to the words actual meaning.

Like I feel like clumsy is one of the words that is just short hand for a specific archetype. Cuz 90% of the time the character isn’t even clumsy in the text. Maybe they trip in front of the love interest once or twice but that’s it.

Where IRL it’s like a consistent thing where you are always tripping or walking into shit or whatever. It kinda depends on the degree to which you are clumsy/what’s causing it.

It’s kinda like “smart” ; people write that description all the time and then have characters that aren’t particular intelligent/streetwise/etc. but the player wants to claim an archetype for their character so they just label them smart.

It’s one of the reasons it’s not a huge pet peeve for me (the clumsy thing) since I do get that it’s just a way to say your character is shy and quirky. It’s just one of those things that having experienced it IRL it makes me roll my eyes a bit.

Sort of like when you can tell an adult is trying to write teenage characters and it’s all really forced slang and cliches. Like yeah I get it your hip with the youths author. Now can we tone it down a bit?

When people use dice to handle combat in otherwise dice-less games. I get why people do it, but a lot of the time it's implemented very poorly and it makes things too random for my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back