Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
The feeling when you slaved over your OC information despite being swamped with school and battling an illness, only to find out your partner deleted everything without a word. Yeesh, it says in my request thread that I'm slow if you don't like that then tough.

The feeling when you slaved over your OC information despite being swamped with school and battling an illness, only to find out your partner deleted everything without a word. Yeesh, it says in my request thread that I'm slow if you don't like that then tough.

I don't understand people who delete without warning. I will delete old PMS because my inbox is getting cluttered but never without first telling my partner (likely months before anything is deleted) hey I'm done with this. Or if they say they're done with the roleplay I'll leave the pm up until I do my clean up of the inbox. It just seems so unnecessarily petty to be like "Well I don't want to do this roleplay anymore I'm going to erase all my partners work without asking.

I don't understand people who delete without warning. I will delete old PMS because my inbox is getting cluttered but never without first telling my partner (likely months before anything is deleted) hey I'm done with this. Or if they say they're done with the roleplay I'll leave the pm up until I do my clean up of the inbox. It just seems so unnecessarily petty to be like "Well I don't want to do this roleplay anymore I'm going to erase all my partners work without asking.

Was in an RP with a dude who did this to a whole forum. -_-

For the love of god please stop making characters solely to torture mine!

No seriously, this comes up way more often with me than it should.

Maybe I should start varying who I rp with.

Me in a fight with a one-liner.

Me: *writes a full freaking paragragh just to describe a kick to the face that legit EMPHASIzes the fact that you won't stay CONSCIOUS after such a blow. But doesn't exactly, say it.*

One-liner: Hah, you thought. *Knocks out with punch*

Me IRL: *bangs head on the table*
*Can't really say anything because I techniy didn't say I knocked their ass out.*

What I want to say ALLL THE FREAKING TIME: GENIUS YOU CAN'T FLUGGIN DO THAT!!!!

(
Because I'm a nice person I'll deal with it and make sure to kill their ass later)

I hate when people join an RP, but just up and leave for petty reasons, or no reason at all. Ghosting is so uncool. If you want to RP, commit. Fearun wasn't made in a day, or Narnia or Middle Earth, or Azerorh for that matter.

I hate when people join an RP, but just up and leave for petty reasons, or no reason at all. Ghosting is so uncool. If you want to RP, commit. Fearun wasn't made in a day, or Narnia or Middle Earth, or Azerorh for that matter.

If you say you're leaving, even if it's for a made up reason, you're not ghosting.

There's no such thing as a petty reason to leave an rp, though.

I agree. RP is for fun and entertainment. It's not a job you're being paid for. A person has the right to leave for any reason they so desire at any time. Honestly it's actually made me shy away from potential partners when they are complaining about people quitting an RP like they are horrendous villains. Like seriously.

'Excuses' I've seen people complaining they have gotten from others.
-Not enough time. Because I guess someone should put IRL aside to RP with someone online. Regardless of family, work, emergencies, and sleep. Saw an RP ad on DA where the person was actually demanding no one with a job or in school reply. They needed someone that would be online throughout the day.
-RP has taken a turn they don't find fun. It happens. One persons idea may just not be fun for the other. If you can't find a compromise then the other shouldn't feel they need to be in charge of the other's happiness.
-OOC talk has killed interest in it. (usually people mad someone didn't want to hear about sex or politics in between RP replies)
-They've simply lost interest in the plot or characters. Sadly it happens. Sometimes no matter how much you try you can't rekindle interest.
-They had a rule list of don'ts from the beginning and don't want to bend on them. One of the main reasons I've personally ended an RP. So yeah, don't complain to me about people quitting for this and wonder why I don't think we're compatible.

Not all are related to roleplay, but a few things that's been on my mind now that are just starting to burst from the seams...

- No, I won't work on the weekends. I got a home to be at, too. No, I won't work on the research chapter revisions in the car. I have exactly one desktop computer in our apartment and everyone uses it. So for the love of god, please stop assuming I can just work on shit 24/7. I know the work's important. I know "oh everyone is suffering the same as you!!!". We're suffering but we are not under the same circumstances and do not have the same resources. Not everyone has enough time and/or motivation as you to keep working on something we don't even want to work on.

- If you expect something from me in this 1x1 RP, maybe don't give me a mind game or have your character act like they don't? I mean, if your character is constantly hyped as an action hero who needs no caretaking, I'll assume it's fine for mine to be rather distant as well and not a doting type of character.

- Please for the love of god read the other person's character sheet especially if this is a 1x1. I mentioned in two different places (in the CS and in the starting post) that my character has no parents and now you're sitting your demon ass down at her nonexistent kitchen table because she lives on the streets and eating her nonexistent food that her nonexistent parents left for her. (For the record, this was in an old site. I dropped the RP directly after that post.)

- If you're going to claim that your character is a genius or a tactical prodigy or whatever, please at least back it up with proof in the actual RP. I can't take you seriously when you're hyped up to be the smartest character in the group and all you tell us is "go in that cave and kill the monsters" while one of the other characters comes up with a smarter plan.

- No, putting an English word in Romaji doesn't make a Japanese name. Please. Just...20000 Japanese names is a Google search away.

- Don't jump to conclusions about other people's characters at first glance! We have literally just started and here you are already imagining that the only thing it takes to destroy all these other characters is conventional weaponry. Slow down.

- Don't be an ass OOC. There are two choices in life and it's either you be an ass or don't be. You'd be surprised at the amount of benefits in the latter but for whatever reason Internet anonymity leads to the former instead for some people. There's also a fine line between "formality" and just plain old arrogance. Also, being "frank" or "honest" doesn't excuse being an ass.

Me in a fight with a one-liner.

Me: *writes a full freaking paragragh just to describe a kick to the face that legit EMPHASIzes the fact that you won't stay CONSCIOUS after such a blow. But doesn't exactly, say it.*

One-liner: Hah, you thought. *Knocks out with punch*

Me IRL: *bangs head on the table*
*Can't really say anything because I techniy didn't say I knocked their ass out.*

What I want to say ALLL THE FREAKING TIME: GENIUS YOU CAN'T FLUGGIN DO THAT!!!!

(Because I'm a nice person I'll deal with it and make sure to kill their ass later)

There was a guy with a one liner from the RP I'm Co-GM of and he had a post that was Three words long and his excuse was that his posts get straight to the point which dumbfounded me.

There was a guy with a one liner from the RP I'm Co-GM of and he had a post that was Three words long and his excuse was that his posts get straight to the point which dumbfounded me.

Lol, rite. When technically you can't be mad cuz the boi's right. But you still can because it's an rp, not a middle school group text.

Lol, rite. When technically you can't be mad cuz the boi's right. But you still can because it's an rp, not a middle school group text.
I get straight to the point with my posts but I add in bits for the other characters to bounce off of so other players can keep the dialogue going.

I get straight to the point with my posts but I add in bits for the other characters to bounce off of so other players can keep the dialogue going.
Xactly, I can see how there's little to be said, so getting to the point instead putting in useless filler is preferred. But it's hard to continue a conversation when one ask, "do you like birds?" And the other person says "yes." Like. No one's tryna get into your head, have your character show a little personality. (Unless ur char is a one-liner, which can only be good characters if you play them right.)

Xactly, I can see how there's little to be said, so getting to the point instead putting in useless filler is preferred. But it's hard to continue a conversation when one ask, "do you like birds?" And the other person says "yes." Like. No one's tryna get into your head, have your character show a little personality. (Unless ur char is a one-liner, which can only be good characters if you play them right.)
Actually the scene was the characters were talking about the villain and what said villain was after the guy replied with ( "Maybe," Ben said.)

I would crawl through the screen and strangle him. I hate that shit with an unending rage.

I had people pull that to me in groups.
First time I was still learning how to manage people so I basically wrote the guys post for him by taking what he wrote and badgering him OOC until he had given me enough information to meet the post requirements.

That lasted until that roleplay died and I hated every minute of it.

Next roleplay (different person) and my immediate response was “Rewrite this to comply with the roleplay standards”.

What did they do? Literally copies other players dialogue and added their one word replies. Like yes no whatever.

I about had a heart attack and told the GM (I was co-GM) to kick them out.

I don't really care whether or not I'm "slowing the rp down". I'm posting well within the required timeframe and if that doesn't work for you, go join a faster paced roleplay for fucks sake.

Mind if I join in the venting? XD

1.) I was just a player in a non-leadership position pilot role. So I don't understand why the person actually in charge of the leader role just dumped all their responsibilities on me and took off to pursue their own personal arc. Not fun since I was up against like, three other players and what I can do alone is severely limited since I can only move my own mecha. Only the leader can move the warships and various NPCs so damn.

2.) Also, this is the same RP as no.1. My mecha's main shtick is that it has a secure server and communications array as well as the necessary hardware that prevents hacking from the outside. It's also a prototype so that first battle is the first battle in which it will be seen. I described all this in detail. Then, this one player on the enemy side just goes "Oh, I just hacked it lol". Like, no details, no anything. First encounter and she just goes "X character hacks into Saya's mecha lol". What? Even more annoying is that the GM just let it slide. Fine. I retaliated by wiping out their capital ship. XD

3.) Look, I understand my ideas are not the most unique things but come on! Copying my character backstory? This dude's character was submitted, approved and posted first. He had a different backstory then. I post mine then after two days, lo and behold, he changed his sheet so now his backstory is like mine except, he janked up some of the elements. I don't know. It was so weird.

4.) Can we actually have a horror RP that focuses more on the horror elements rather than, I don't know, the character shipping that even the game creators seem to encourage? We've had twenty full posts of just shipping with only six posts (three of which are mine) that is about horror. Ugh. If they wanted a romance story in a haunted setting then set these expectations accordingly by placing the appropriate tags and mentioning it in the description.

5.) It kind of sucks when the GMs of an action RP don't even call out your contributions to the battle. Like, call it damn it!

Last edited:
2.) Also, this is the same RP as no.1. My mecha's main shtick is that it has a secure server and communications array as well as the necessary hardware that prevents hacking from the outside. It's also a prototype so that first battle is the first battle in which it will be seen. I described all this in detail. Then, this one player on the enemy side just goes "Oh, I just hacked it lol". Like, no details, no anything. First encounter and she just goes "X character hacks into Saya's mecha lol". What? Even more annoying is that the GM just let it slide. Fine. I retaliated by wiping out their capital ship. XD

This is an example of TERRIBLE rping, and I feel your pain. One notable example was when I was in a science fiction RP and my character had a stealth ship. I built in ways that the enemy (who was tooled up to the nines) could exploit weaknesses in the stealth ability, and also my ship had literally nothing else going for it. It was small and poorly armed. Other player just goes "lol spotted ur ship" with zero thought gone into it. ><; Why do people do this? Also I stopped doing science fiction RP mostly because of this. If any technology is available, some douche can always go "lol my tech is better than ur tech i win".

Mind if I join in the venting? XD

1.) I was just a player in a non-leadership position pilot role. So I don't understand why the person actually in charge of the leader role just dumped all their responsibilities on me and took off to pursue their own personal arc. Not fun since I was up against like, three other players and what I can do alone is severely limited since I can only move my own mecha. Only the leader can move the warships and various NPCs so damn.

3.) Look, I understand my ideas are not the most unique things but come on! Copying my character backstory? This dude's character was submitted, approved and posted first. He had a different backstory then. I post mine then after two days, lo and behold, he changed his sheet so now his backstory is like mine except, he janked up some of the elements. I don't know. It was so weird.

4.) Can we actually have a horror RP that focuses more on the horror elements rather than, I don't know, the character shipping that even the game creators seem to encourage? We've had twenty full posts of just shipping with only six posts (three of which are mine) that is about horror. Ugh. If they wanted a romance story in a haunted setting then set these expectations accordingly by placing the appropriate tags and mentioning it in the description.

5.) It kind of sucks when the GMs of an action RP don't even call out your contributions to the battle. Like, call it damn it!
This is an example of TERRIBLE rping, and I feel your pain. One notable example was when I was in a science fiction RP and my character had a stealth ship. I built in ways that the enemy (who was tooled up to the nines) could exploit weaknesses in the stealth ability, and also my ship had literally nothing else going for it. It was small and poorly armed. Other player just goes "lol spotted ur ship" with zero thought gone into it. ><; Why do people do this? Also I stopped doing science fiction RP mostly because of this. If any technology is available, some douche can always go "lol my tech is better than ur tech i win".

See, this brings back memories of sci-fi mecha RPs. I've never personally interacted with a player who did this in an RP I was part of, but the moment somebody claims that their "machine can turn the tide of the war" or some other "ultimate mecha" BS like that, I just cringe internally because the moment these players run into an action sequence and lose, the temper tantrum afterwards will be legendary.

Also, hacking in general in RPs. It's like any 14 year old kid with an interest in computers can be a master hacker in sci-fi RPs nowadays and it gets annoying because that's just their kind of "master key" to cancel out every other player's action by hacking them. 😓

A pet peeve I've recently discovered is people who use the term godmodding too liberally.

For example, I've seen so many who seemingly unironically believes that describing a character as being good looking or a good public speaker is godmodding.

Last edited:
Enough of this "you get one power" bullshit I'm sick of it. The amount of powers a character has barely correlates to how strong they are. I want to play a flying brick, dammit.

I mean, it undeniably does. A character that can both fly and has superstrength is pretty much always gonna end up stronger than one with just flight.

I guess if both powers are backed by just as many weaknesses for balance? Although some players can be pretty iffy about exposing their characters' weaknesses in superpower based RPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back