Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who I'm in a conversation with stalking the PM or my threads. It makes me very uncomfortable. It's not going to make me reply quicker, I'm still going to do other things while I'm working on a reply to an RP or an OOC chat. It also makes me uncomfortable when I have replied and someone does that. I've had people who I've noticed were constantly checking a PM or my threads, you can't even see when I last saw a message in PMs.

People who I'm in a conversation with stalking the PM or my threads. It makes me very uncomfortable. It's not going to make me reply quicker, I'm still going to do other things while I'm working on a reply to an RP or an OOC chat. It also makes me uncomfortable when I have replied and someone does that. I've had people who I've noticed were constantly checking a PM or my threads, you can't even see when I last saw a message in PMs.

Sometimes when I have an ooc in a pm or even an rp in a pm i check the pm a lot to reread messages, my intention is not to make my partner feel like im pressuring them to reply -- but i can understand where ur coming from! I didnt know you can check when people are looking at threads, I only know pms bc u can keep the read receipts on.

Sometimes when I have an ooc in a pm or even an rp in a pm i check the pm a lot to reread messages, my intention is not to make my partner feel like im pressuring them to reply -- but i can understand where ur coming from! I didnt know you can check when people are looking at threads, I only know pms bc u can keep the read receipts on.

I know not everyone means it that way, I occasionally have a reason to check a PM myself. I'm just talking about when it becomes a little.. Strange. If that makes sense. If you have your profile open for view to just anyone, people can look at where you've posted. If your profile is only available to those you follow, and said person is following you, they can see such. At the bottom of threads, you can see people who are viewing or had looked at a thread.

When I can never find any roleplay partners for my ships/ideas and when I do they leave after two posts... ._.
All I want to do is roleplay PiersxRaihan why ;;;;;;
Also there’s a guy on discord that randomly messaged me and started asking me for rps that I literally state I won’t do in my ad so that’s annoying as shit.

Same here. :) I often go back and re-read messages so I can see my replies with a fresh eye, noting the things I've done wrong so I can improve - or even some of the things I think I've done right! I also like to look back on previous character interactions a lot, or see what I've already established in the world building. Sometimes I can find inspiration and motivation from reading previous posts. Heck, sometimes I pull it up to show a few friends or family! I'm pretty sure the intention isn't to pressure you into replying more. It usually just means that the person is excited about the RP and enjoys reading/thinking about it a lot.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see your other reply. My bad. c: Still, though.

Oh man I do this so often. I have a few roleplays that I just adore re-reading and I'll read them over again all the time
Same! I have a roleplay in which we're coming up on our 1 year anniversary for on the 27th. I re-read a little bit of the beginning... Brought back a lot of memories! Especially since we totally didn't know who our characters back then. It really took awhile to break into them, but it was so worth it!
I've also been recently looking back since the RP has had a few stale points, and I'm trying to figure out the cause. :) Helpful sometimes, too.

Same here. :) I often go back and re-read messages so I can see my replies with a fresh eye, noting the things I've done wrong so I can improve - or even some of the things I think I've done right! I also like to look back on previous character interactions a lot, or see what I've already established in the world building. Sometimes I can find inspiration and motivation from reading previous posts. Heck, sometimes I pull it up to show a few friends or family! I'm pretty sure the intention isn't to pressure you into replying more. It usually just means that the person is excited about the RP and enjoys reading/thinking about it a lot.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see your other reply. My bad. c: Still, though.

While I understand what you are saying, I still do find myself getting uncomfortable when people start constantly looking at my search threads and not just the PMs. That's just me and it's okay if other people don't understand that :)

It's less so something to do with rpn and more to do with map making software. I'd love for a flexible map making software that has the ability to export maps, add assets, and create fog of war like dungeon fog. While giving the isometric asthetic of dungeon builder. However, the former is a little ugly looking with flexibility and the other is expensive, but made to be rp'd in the app.

pls map makers. I just want one cool dungeon building program. 😢

Myself - that is who is making me angry today. =/
I’m my own worst enemy when it comes to role-playing...so I’m also my own pet peeve, I guess?
(Because I’ve had the pleasure of meeting many great writers/role players here and have managed to screw things up...75% of the time?) - That’s just a guesstimate, it might be higher or lower.

And, I’m a really crummy detective when it comes to figuring out what it is I’ve done wrong, so that I don’t repeat it.

Myself - that is who is making me angry today. =/
I’m my own worst enemy when it comes to role-playing...so I’m also my own pet peeve, I guess?
(Because I’ve had the pleasure of meeting many great writers/role players here and have managed to screw things up...75% of the time?) - That’s just a guesstimate, it might be higher or lower.

And, I’m a really crummy detective when it comes to figuring out what it is I’ve done wrong, so that I don’t repeat it.

I find taking a step back and making a realistic list of what you want vs. what you will receive helps.

ex. You may want a roleplay where people post every day multiple times a day. But that might not be possible because your partner has to work. So talk to them to set up a specific time when you both can post would help.

I think sometimes the problem is we just don’t know what we really want and how to ask for it. Compromise is going to happen sure but it shouldn’t mean you just let the other person walk all over you (or you walk all over them either). Both sides have to be honest about what they bring to the table and what they are willing to sacrifice to get what they want

Last edited:
I find taking a step back and making a realistic list of what you want vs. what you will receive helps.

ex. You may want a roleplay where people post every day multiple times a day. But that might not be possible because your partner has to work. So talk to them to set up a specific time when you both can post would help.

I think sometimes the problem is we just don’t know what we really want and how to ask for it. Compromise is going to happen sure but it shouldn’t mean you just let the other person walk all over you (or you walk all over them either). Both sides have to be honest about what they bring to the table and what they are willing to sacrifice to get what they want
I see what you mean. I think I’ll make that list and see if I can give myself a better perspective on the issue. Thank you for your advice. =)

Though after reading a previous entry in this thread, I wonder if my frequent re-reading of messages might be misconstrued as me trying to passive-aggressively rush a partner. =/ (But I’m certain I turned off that feature in my settings though...but does it not work on a mobile?) Either way, that’s definitely not what I’m trying to convey.
I’m just an excitable, but woefully absent minded nerd that loves to read and re-read the stories I’m in. It’s inspiring, keeps the details refreshed in my head, helps me find rogue typos and grammar issues, and keeps me invested in the story. X_x

The other pet-peeve I have with my role playing is what happens when a story I’m truly excited about never gets going/dies. I’m not mad or even mildly annoyed at the other person - I’m disappointed in myself and discouraged because I made some role playing faux pas. Yet again. And that ‘bummer effect’ affects how I respond/write to other people. It’s not a great cycle to be in...

One pet peeve of mine in RP is...

someone says the ship word

Its like the worst word I hear besides crush.

I see what you mean. I think I’ll make that list and see if I can give myself a better perspective on the issue. Thank you for your advice. =)

Though after reading a previous entry in this thread, I wonder if my frequent re-reading of messages might be misconstrued as me trying to passive-aggressively rush a partner. =/ (But I’m certain I turned off that feature in my settings though...but does it not work on a mobile?) Either way, that’s definitely not what I’m trying to convey.
I’m just an excitable, but woefully absent minded nerd that loves to read and re-read the stories I’m in. It’s inspiring, keeps the details refreshed in my head, helps me find rogue typos and grammar issues, and keeps me invested in the story. X_x

The other pet-peeve I have with my role playing is what happens when a story I’m truly excited about never gets going/dies. I’m not mad or even mildly annoyed at the other person - I’m disappointed in myself and discouraged because I made some role playing faux pas. Yet again. And that ‘bummer effect’ affects how I respond/write to other people. It’s not a great cycle to be in...

So role playing if a partnership. As the saying goes it takes two to tango. So you can’t put all this pressure purely on yourself to ensure things get off the ground. Your partner has to pull their weight too.

9/10 role plays I start don’t make it to the posting stage. I don’t go around assuming I personally made all nine of those roleplay fail. Sometimes it might be just real life emergencies come up (for me or my partner). Sometimes my partner just isn’t interested and let’s me know. Sometimes I myself get bored and drop out.

But whatever the case I don’t think of it as a failure or something I did wrong. It’s just the nature of the game. Your going to fail a whole lot before you succeed.

Part of getting experience is just learning not to take it all personally. To just take it all with a shrug and move on.

Here's one me and some friends were sharing stories of. Having someone who won't take the roleplay's story serious. Especially if they get caught up in an on-running joke and are determined to run it into the ground. I've had a partner who would have a character that he would make show up randomly, even if he was currently in another storyline of the roleplay just to screw with people delivering messages to hold up stuff happening.

One friend had to boot someone from a group for constantly commenting on characters based on the figures they used. Basically acting like they always had weapons drawn, or were in a certain pose based on the figure.

What the hell is a paragraph?

I messaged someone about a roleplay once. They claimed to write 'x' number of paragraphs for a single character. I was highly skeptical. 'x' paragraphs to me would be over 2,000 words. They wanted to double. It's rare when a person wants to write over 4k words.

I sent them a writing sample about 400 words and said I would write twice that much if we doubled. They told me, "I normally write a bit less then that." LESS then my 400 word sample! What the hell are you writing? 3-5 sentence paragraphs?

What the hell is a paragraph?

I messaged someone about a roleplay once. They claimed to write 'x' number of paragraphs for a single character. I was highly skeptical. 'x' paragraphs to me would be over 2,000 words. They wanted to double. It's rare when a person wants to write over 4k words.

I sent them a writing sample about 400 words and said I would write twice that much if we doubled. They told me, "I normally write a bit less then that." LESS then my 400 word sample! What the hell are you writing? 3-5 sentence paragraphs?

That's why I feel like the paragraph length system can be super variable. Whenever people give a number of paragraphs to show their average length I always assume it's on the shorter side. For me I tend to write short paragraphs. I've had one-sentence paragraphs before. 3-5 is the normal average. I've also written half-a-page paragraphs. I feel like when people write longer posts they give word count instead of paragraph numbers (500-800, 1K, 2K, etc.), so whenever I see paragraphs I automatically assume they're short/medium ones. Statistically this may be true too, but I haven't done a proper search or anything.

I agree with both of y'all, I have upgraded my RP experience over the past few weeks or so. And all the people I come across, they write almost the entire page! I write two paragraphs containing over six sentences, but before that, I was using asterisks. Someone said dump em. I still use asterisks, but ver rarely.

I agree with both of y'all, I have upgraded my RP experience over the past few weeks or so. And all the people I come across, they write almost the entire page! I write two paragraphs containing over six sentences, but before that, I was using asterisks. Someone said dump em. I still use asterisks, but ver rarely.

Fear not, everyone starts somewhere. As long as you improve over time. That's all that matters.

Probably been touched on already but this really grinded my gears the other day.

So we were in the discussion process, talking about what the storyline should be, characters, etc. First few messages and they are saying they prefer male characters to have tattoos so maybe I should incorporate them into my character (??? as if tattoos are character traits but okay???). Then we are only 2-3 replies in, taking place in a school setting, they randomly drop my character into her lunch period, ending their post with something along the lines of "I didn't even notice you were looking at my notebook". So I am lowkey mad that they didn't ask me if my character even planned on being at lunch but then they also just controlled my character without asking.

So I hate confrontation and being rude so I just didn't reply right away, started intermittently working on a response (with full intentions on eventually replying... just not when I'm angry), but got busy with mental health issues. Literally logged on not too long ago to a PM from them saying that I lacked RP and human decency, that it's rude to keep people in the dark, and they were originally excited about this but they never should have been. Then left the conversation before I could reply to them.

HUH?! Lmao.

Probably been touched on already but this really grinded my gears the other day.

So we were in the discussion process, talking about what the storyline should be, characters, etc. First few messages and they are saying they prefer male characters to have tattoos so maybe I should incorporate them into my character (??? as if tattoos are character traits but okay???). Then we are only 2-3 replies in, taking place in a school setting, they randomly drop my character into her lunch period, ending their post with something along the lines of "I didn't even notice you were looking at my notebook". So I am lowkey mad that they didn't ask me if my character even planned on being at lunch but then they also just controlled my character without asking.

So I hate confrontation and being rude so I just didn't reply right away, started intermittently working on a response (with full intentions on eventually replying... just not when I'm angry), but got busy with mental health issues. Literally logged on not too long ago to a PM from them saying that I lacked RP and human decency, that it's rude to keep people in the dark, and they were originally excited about this but they never should have been. Then left the conversation before I could reply to them.

HUH?! Lmao.
This is so wrong. It almost sounds like you got trolled more than someone actually trying to RP with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back