Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a roleplay galaxy long long ago when I did participate in group roleplays....

Character sheet for another player's character explicitly says said character is a doctor, has treated patients, has saved lives, has all the credentials of a medical professional, knowledgeable about medicinal herbs, poisons, etc.
Player of the doctor character in question creates a situation in the roleplay where all the other characters including my own are wounded. The doctor character does nothing to treat them and when asked whether the player would realistically have their character do their job the player responded by saying "I don't know how to make her help them."

So, my annoyance is when some people give characters certain jobs but don't do at least some research on what the job involves. A doctor that can't treat a patient, a cop that doesn't know the law...honestly.

Even in a 1 x 1 RP I've run into a lot of lying about characters. Basically they post sheets or descriptions making it sound like their character fits perfectly in the setting or with the characters you'll be RPing with. Then suddenly it's a huge frustrating and uncomfortable mess. These people either

A: Go in with high expectations about what they want the character to do. Then brain freeze because they didn't think it through.

B: Just listen to what the other people they are petitioning to roleplay with want and say whatever to get their foot in the door. Likely being the type that hope you're as desperate as them to RP and once the RP starts you won't end it regardless.

It's small but I hate RP profiles with crappy resolution face claims. We live in the age of image searching. It is so easy to find a pic with good resolution, so why do I still see uncropped screenshots and pictures hard to make out pictures?

When you think people have read your request thread but their pm is just about them talking about their request thread and ideas and plots. They give no indication whether they've even read your request thread which to be honest they haven't.

Honestly, characters that are too young/old for the setting or plot. I don't really feel like having my character babysit theirs while they take forever to mature. I guess you could do a character arc with it, but I've never seen it done well.

UGh,

People who speak for your character... OR make your character like theirs
I've roleplayed on a different cite before this has literally happened, I said my character 'went to the bathroom' and the other person just says 'but before she left she looked over at (their characters name) hoping they liked her. While (their characters name) blushed at her glances.

Or decide that your opinion is lesser than theirs just because you like different types of rping.

And the most is people who aren't supportive of characters with flaws, who identify as LGBTQ+, who don't love their characters, or when you offer feedback on a Mary-Sue and they flip out pointing out all the possible ways your character is 'wrong in their opinion',

I've also literally had someone interrupt a closed onexone roleplay to just say 'you only do this type do something else I don't like reading this', when it wasn't meant for them, (I mainly do fantasy)

Sorry for the rant...

People who speak for your character... OR make your character like theirs
I've roleplayed on a different cite before this has literally happened, I said my character 'went to the bathroom' and the other person just says 'but before she left she looked over at (their characters name) hoping they liked her. While (their characters name) blushed at her glances.
There is a special place in RP hell for people like this.

oml ok
so this hasn't happened a whole lot to me
but i see it on other ppl's rts and honest to God i get pissed off for the op

yknow when ppl
comment on YOUR rt asking YOU to pm THEM
yeah
that shit just
ugh
it irks me

oml ok

yknow when ppl
yeah
that shit just
ugh
it irks me
Something that pissed me off recently was a person who randomly group PM'd me and a few other people saying they wanted to start a group RP but had no ideas of their own, clearly didn't look for any particular traits among us because none of us even liked the same kind of RP and on top of that decided to sit back and let us come up with the idea for whatever RP we were going to do. I commend some of them who actually tried to come up with something but it irritated my soul.

I'm not gonna PM you when you clearly didn't read the thread
oh gooodness 😩 now this happens to me all the time
when ppl don't fckn read the bolded text on top of my rt that says to PM me instead of replying on the thread
that's so fckn annoying like can u not ?? like, we've literally started off on the wrong footing too

clearly didn't look for any particular traits among us because none of us even liked the same kind of RP and on top of that decided to sit back and let us come up with the idea for whatever RP we were going to do
that's--
😬
y i k e s

And the most is people who aren't supportive of characters with flaws, who identify as LGBTQ+, who don't love their characters, or when you offer feedback on a Mary-Sue and they flip out pointing out all the possible ways your character is 'wrong in their opinion',
Oh god I've had this. When I critized a character for being both related to a popular canon character yet having a really powerful ability that was only transferred through an unrelated bloodline, she started bashing my character saying her backstory was "triggering" because it inferred that her mother had been kidnapped and coerced (as an older adult, NOT a child). Not that she'd had an issue with this before mind, and we'd discussed our limitations already.

Oh god I've had this. When I critized a character for being both related to a popular canon character yet having a really powerful ability that was only transferred through an unrelated bloodline, she started bashing my character saying her backstory was "triggering" because it inferred that her mother had been kidnapped and coerced (as an older adult, NOT a child). Not that she'd had an issue with this before mind, and we'd discussed our limitations already.
Jeez I hate people like that, they just can’t take criticism a want to think their characters perfect... lol sorry this happens so much

Jeez I hate people like that, they just can’t take criticism a want to think their characters perfect... lol sorry this happens so much
It's like they expect for your character to see them and fall madly, head-over-heels in love. Well sorry, unless your character has some kind of telepathy and uses it on them (which is sort of god modding in my opinion unless it's agreed beforehand) then no.

, or when you offer feedback on a Mary-Sue and they flip out pointing out all the possible ways your character is 'wrong in their opinion',
I don't see the issue with this one, tbh. If you criticize others' characters, is it that unreasonable that they do the same to you in return?

I don't see the issue with this one, tbh. If you criticize others' characters, is it that unreasonable that they do the same to you in return?
Yeah I get that, but I’m saying that I’ll say their characters a little over powered, and they’ll knit pick everything they think is wrong with mine, (I’ve been told that since one of my characters has blonde hair it’s too Mary-Sue)

This is kind of a venting thread. I know, we have a few but I just thought of this one. What are some things you've felt like saying in the past or even recently, but you never said it because you didn't want to feel like you were being a jerk?

Personally, it was a while back I was in a descriptive RP group and the rule was at least 5 lines. Most of us did more than that but the rule was 5 lines. So we had one member who constantly wrote about 1 to 1 1/2 lines. We politely asked him to extend the number of lines he was writing because the minimum was 5. They said they weren't very descriptive and couldn't write that much because they were very busy with work and all.

We understood IRL came first but this was a descriptive RP group so you had to be at the minimum amount of descriptive, there was no point in joining a descriptive RP group if you weren't going to be descriptive. He claimed he joined because he wanted to try. We understood that so we made it clear to him, he didn't have to rush his responses, to take as much time as he needed to write at least 5 lines. He agreed and yet we were still getting 1 to 1 1/2 lines, lucky if we could get exactly 3.

So we talk to him about this again and he tells us he doesn't know how to be descriptive and extend his lines. So we give him tips on easy ways to extend his lines, even some illusionary tactics to give the appearance of more lines than he actually had.

• Repeat the events from the post you're responding to from your character's perspective and then add your response.
  • Thoughts and emotions, what is your character feeling, what are they thinking about?
  • Actions, describe what they are doing.
  • Use the 5 senses, What do they feel? What do they see? What do they hear? What do they smell? What are they tasting?
  • Pick a bigger font and make the text bigger
  • Add an image and float it to the left or the right. Add multiple if possible.
  • Add locations, time of day or weather.
We gave him all of this and a month later he's still giving us the same amount of lines, less actually, it dropped to about half a line and we were lucky to get a line and half from him anymore. Again he was spoken to, not by me because at this point I'd given up on him actually doing the 5 lines, what was so irritating at that point is the GM actually lowered his quota to 3 lines, something we know he was capable of every now and again and suddenly he couldn't even do that.

He gave us the same excuse he wasn't descriptive, he was busy but here was the thing, we all had lives, some of us had jobs, some of us were in college, one of us was in the military and another guy had a job and kids. We weren't rushing him to give responses, we weren't moving super-fast pace so there was no reason for him to feel the need to rush and strangely he was on more than any of us were. At this point I wanted to say he was lying, I wanted to say he just didn't want to be descriptive and had no intention of trying and was just hoping we'd all give on him meeting any sort of quota that he knew about before he signed up, but I didn't want to assume his situation and say so, because I felt like that would be an elitist thing to do and I'd be a jerk if I did because I know not everyone is on the same level, not everyone can pump out the same amount of lines and even 1-line roleplayers aren't inherently bad or lazy and maybe I wasn't being understanding enough, but I felt like there were so many red flags with him.

Last edited:
-Please stop using your profile status to complain every day about partners ghosting you. Ghosting is very likely to happen when you roleplay so crying, screaming, ranting about it all day every day just stop. Also, stop using statuses as a means to spill matters that most likely happened in conversations between you and another person.

-Threatening to quit a site or roleplay completely because the long time plot you've been developing for years is not getting any hits after 2 hours, just no. People come to a site all the time to roleplay at least give them the chance to look at the plot before you are ready to call it finished.

-Please put a note, disclaimer, whatever in your request thread that you are looking for a robot to like only your ideas, tell you what you want to hear, and agree with you with everything since it is blatantly clear any type of feedback will push you over the edge.

-No, your asshole destroys planets with the blink of their eye character is not cool because they can talk to animals and graduated top of their class or knows everything about the world before the age of sixteen.

-I do not post every day. I will not post every day. Pestering me to do so will however stop me from posting at all.

1. If you start an RP, it is your duty to be the GM, and as a GM, it is your duty to set up some sort of conflict resolution system. It can be as simple as "what I say goes", but if you make combat an important part of the RP and you don´t set limits or give the slightest intimation that overpoweredness will not be allowed, you deserve the trash characters and bitch-fights between players you will be getting. If you are not going to exercise SOME control on a roleplay, don´t start one.

2. Fandom RPs that take a universe and then randomly make huge changes to its premises, like basing a Boku no Hero Academia RP in an American school, don´t really make the RP more interesting. They usually show that the author missed the point of the original work by removing important themes, and make me think of badly written fanfiction (only they want you to participate in it, which strikes me as obscene). The less we talk about crossover RPs, the better.

oml ok

yknow when ppl
yeah
that shit just
ugh
it irks me
I usually ignore when people ask me this and reply saying they should PM me if they want to further our discussion. *shrugs*

It's like they expect for your character to see them and fall madly, head-over-heels in love. Well sorry, unless your character has some kind of telepathy and uses it on them (which is sort of god modding in my opinion unless it's agreed beforehand) then no.
Thank you! I hate when people try to influence the story with just ‘hey lets make them date!’, like dude, if the plot is so dry that you suggest that and we didn’t talk about it maybe the RP is dead?

-Every time I step away from the online rp community for a few months, I forget that most people don't like to write characters with different gender identities from themselves. And then I remember, and it shocks me, every time. Like. Dude, writing a woman isn't actually that hard. The foundation of any good character is a strong motivation and personality, and if you can get into the headspace of the character and make the dialogue sound decent, then you can, in essence, write anyone. The lady who works at 7/11 can be just as compelling and interesting as a character as a princess or a magical girl, it's all about how you're going about telling the story.

This is so incredibly petty but it’s been a peeve of mine for ten years so it’s too deeply entrenched for me to do anything about it now.

People who spell ‘canon characters’ as ‘cannon characters’ and people who spell ‘rogue’ as ‘rouge.’

I know it’s just a knowledge thing and not a big deal but I can’t take anything else written very seriously after that. A cannon shoots out cannonballs, it has nothing to do with the “genuine, accepted, characters of the chosen universe” which is what canon is.

And don’t get me started on rouge. If I have to envision one more wolf with red lips and red blush applied to their cheeks, I’m going to cry.

I really don’t have anything against people who do this though. I know some spelling mistakes get entrenched in our brains but for whatever reason I find these two incredibly distressing to the point where I can’t take anything else written seriously lol. It legitimately gets a visceral reaction out of me though idk why.

This is so incredibly petty but it’s been a peeve of mine for ten years so it’s too deeply entrenched for me to do anything about it now.

People who spell ‘canon characters’ as ‘cannon characters’ and people who spell ‘rogue’ as ‘rouge.’

I know it’s just a knowledge thing and not a big deal but I can’t take anything else written very seriously after that. A cannon shoots out cannonballs, it has nothing to do with the “genuine, accepted, characters of the chosen universe” which is what canon is.

And don’t get me started on rouge. If I have to envision one more wolf with red lips and red blush applied to their cheeks, I’m going to cry.

I really don’t have anything against people who do this though. I know some spelling mistakes get entrenched in our brains but for whatever reason I find these two incredibly distressing to the point where I can’t take anything else written seriously lol. It legitimately gets a visceral reaction out of me though idk why.

Usually I overlook these things but the one that really gets me is when people say defiantly instead of definitely. Just kill me now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back