Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you clearly ask that your OC be included in the RP, and yet they keep casting them out and blatantly ignoring them
WHEN YOU ARE CLEARLY PUTTING THEM INTO THE SITUATION

dice interest checks
I've always found it strange how system RPs differ in popularity from site to site. I've been on other sites where the system groups were poppin' and the freeform was stagnant af

I've always found it strange how system RPs differ in popularity from site to site. I've been on other sites where the system groups were poppin' and the freeform was stagnant af
People want their auto-hitting, I guess

When the GM just ignores any drama in the hopes it'll solve itself.

If I had a penny for all the roleplays I've seen die from drama that could have easily been solved had the GM just put in minimal effort and dealt with it I'd be one of the richest men on the planet.

If I had a penny for all the roleplays I've seen die from drama that could have easily been solved had the GM just put in minimal effort and dealt with it I'd be one of the richest men on the planet.
Guessing you're talking about "In charter"/"out of charter" drama, or just conflict in general on both sides of the coin?

Leadership is a skill. Conflict management is a skill. People may not have these skills as a GM/site mod but at least make a bit of effort for f's sake.

When big cheese is both "oh we let the community moderate itself" and "I am the big man and I make all the decisions I don't need your opinion" at the same time then however good the RP is, that is doomed to be a shitty community and a dead roleplay.

Been staring at my computer screen for several weeks now, desperately trying to figure out a way to write up my ideas but thus far I feel like my brain is going to eventually dribble it's way out of my nose. 😭

wb.gif

(please send hugs urgently!)

Been staring at my computer screen for several weeks now, desperately trying to figure out a way to write up my ideas but thus far I feel like my brain is going to eventually dribble it's way out of my nose. 😭

I would say to you to not be afraid of typing up the first things that come to mind. Vet everything out there in that document, then sort through it. If that makes any sense.

another pet peeve (if this could be called that) that I had unfortunately done in the past would be the inability to provide context on certain important details. Let me lay out a scenario that I had gone through about 3 years back. One that was annoying and could have been avoided.

At the time I was playing as one of my OC's, a carbon-based nanomachine construct with the appearance of a human. A situation came un in the rp that had almost all of the player characters knocked out by what could be described as an amalgamation of chemicals and explosives fitted into the basement of an educational institution (sounds somewhat stupid but we were still young back then.). Long story short, they were knocked out for a week. So what did i do in this situation, it didn't seem like the person who ran this little in-game event took into account that my OC doesn't need to breathe. This is where I made my second mistake, I ended up basically improvising and unintentionally meta gamed by having some guys stab him repeatedly to knock him into submission.

Later, when the player charters were currently trapped in cages speaking to the one responsible for the previously mentioned incident, the GM expressed confusion when I mentioned my own act of meta gaming. Again, it was wrong of me to interfere like that, but the fact that this guy had no clue what I was talking about only tells me that the GM did not look through all of the relevant posts. It ended with me trying to apologize for the mistake and I was somewhat forced into tack on a reason for him to be knocked out. All the while it seems as if she and a few other players thought that this oc was just some Android with physical circuits and the like, despite demonstrating his abilities before the whole thing with the bomb. The RP still moved on, and lasted for a good year or so before IRL stuff forced us to stop role playing entirely.

Both I and the GM made mistakes, but I could have avoided that blunder from the beginning.

At the time I was playing as one of my OC's, a carbon-based nanomachine construct with the appearance of a human. A situation came un in the rp that had almost all of the player characters knocked out by what could be described as an amalgamation of chemicals and explosives fitted into the basement of an educational institution (sounds somewhat stupid but we were still young back then.). Long story short, they were knocked out for a week. So what did i do in this situation, it didn't seem like the person who ran this little in-game event took into account that my OC doesn't need to breathe. This is where I made my second mistake, I ended up basically improvising and unintentionally meta gamed by having some guys stab him repeatedly to knock him into submission.

This just shows how lax IRL group RPs I've done were. This is where the inevitable point of total GM ideas would derail and you could have just rescued the other players while I sat their hoping one of my half dozen back up ideas fit. LMAO

One of my most hilarious mess ups as a GM was trying to make a plot with ideas based on who the players usually played and they suddenly made up all new characters. And they assumed all other characters would be the 'goody good goodguy' and made the anti hero border line villain or morally stunted characters. All. Four. Characters. They ended up screwing over the secret villain without me even being able to reveal he was the villain.

...when the group you are in suddenly has the GM drop out and disappear without any notice, and everyone is left trying to scramble and figure out what to do.

This just shows how lax IRL group RPs I've done were. This is where the inevitable point of total GM ideas would derail and you could have just rescued the other players while I sat their hoping one of my half dozen back up ideas fit. LMAO
In my case, those events were done in a sort of arc format. With people taking turns running their events. We sort of just lost interest with the one RP and ended up settling into a discord server. I still talk with those guys to this day. It was lax without question and It was organized to an extent, but it was nice at the time even with some of its flaws.

In my case, those events were done in a sort of arc format. With people taking turns running their events. We sort of just lost interest with the one RP and ended up settling into a discord server. I still talk with those guys to this day. It was lax without question and It was organized to an extent, but it was nice at the time even with some of its flaws.

Well, in the end if everyone had fun that's the important thing. Sometimes the hard part of a RP is finding that comfortable level of lax and organized all people agree on.

My main issue with super power RPs. I want their to be rules to prevent over the top WOW POW COOL destruction and violence with no consequence and to stop the god mode type characters. But I don't need a whole science manual for just how the powers work as long as each person obeys their own characters rules to not, well, god mode.

Oh, and as mentioned previously don't try to obsess over my characters genetics for eye color. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back