Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that the following pertains to Group RP, as I do not participate in 1x1.

• When the group seems super excited to get started, but drags their ass to get their CS' done
  • When the RP gets started, and no one is getting passed their introductory posts...
  • When the RT sounds like it might be a good idea, but is super vague and requires a ton of questions to be answered before I can even begin to work on a character concept
    • And even worse if the GM can't answer the questions or has not even bothered to think the setting through
  • When people try to fit in characters from a trope that really doesn't fit the setting
  • When "Original Characters" are obvious copies of a character from (movie, series, etc) with minor changes to make them "different"
  • Roleplays that are a dime-a-dozen, i.e. you see 20 of the same kind of RP in the first three pages of the RT section
  • Character archetype clichés

Last edited:
People like to run their RPs and RP communities like a goddamn mafia down to under the table shit. Even worse when the godfather is the pettiest person to ever exist. Unbelievable.

Guess I may as well put out a few of those pet peeves of mine...and one micro rant.

- I can agree with those who say that Rp variety is lacking. As of this point, there where three harry potter RP interest checks on the first page (should have no issues getting something together). Every now and again you do see something that is somewhat out of the mainstream besides the usual magic school or high fantasy. Can't say much more since I don't have the need to look for any rp's at the moment.

- somewhat lazy mechanics for characters: It was only one instance, but there was one player whose character was supposed to gain the abilities of other characters once they formed a proper bond. Was assuming that this player will try to have some genuine development with characters, only for this player to us the mechanic in a blatantly lazy way. It was just used to get other character's powers just by saying "HI" or Joining along in something without the impact that such a mechanic would require from the onset. Should have at least told them about it, but I and my oblivious tolerance would not allow so.

-Then there is the personal infighting.
but in summary a couple people got mad over something someone did, some people aren’t mad and want the mad people to stop, and I’m awkwardly sitting in the middle wondering how we got here. Why can’t we chill? Why do we keep managing to twist ourselves up with drama repeatedly!?
People like to run their RPs and RP communities like a goddamn mafia down to under the table shit. Even worse when the godfather is the pettiest person to ever exist. Unbelievable.

👋

I have mostly been a bystander, in this case, just looking on during those conflicts, or simply vacating discord for a time being. People have done things, either out of some sort of personal resent or some misplaced intentions. It's not fun, yet I end to stay by the wayside. some have certainly gone over the line and i have no argument for those who are unable to realize their own mistakes, they did what they did. But besides that, I can't really say much since most of those issues and grudges has roots way before I even joined the site. I don't have any regrets joining the site, not by a long shot. Ended up meeting some good people here. But I wish that people don't try to justify the kind of actions and tactics as if it was some sort of political campaign. Again I tend to be more torent of stuff, but... I rather not have things blow out of preposition for an rp all because of spite from another. Consider this the end of my rambles.

Now for the non pet peeves
I loath the way post structure and order influences the flow of dialogue in big, key situations where a number of OCs are present. Instead of being fluid, natural, coherent, it's often a stew of stand-alone monologues trying to address the multitude of things being said every post round. I literally can't. I wouldn't know where to begin with that anymore.
I can see what you are talking about. Even when focusing on a select few people, it does sometimes feel like I might make an overly long run-on sentence as a post. Some people simply put irrelevant dialogue as a simple mention. Guessing you attempted to use that sort of strategy before?

Last edited:
Hmm...
I know one or two guys that are currently doing a Gundam RP together. Riven and Tamotsu last I checked. Mostly mentioned dark souls since I have only seen one dead RP on that game.
oh, what show are they RPing?

Don't know the details really beside it being some sort of torment, not much of a Gundam kind of person. I would recommend asking them about the possibility of joining in, no harm in asking.
Right, Mind linking their names so I can aks one of them?

See, if there's ever a mecha fandom RP, nine times out of ten, it'll be Gundam. You can't really understate the impact it had on the American fandom when it aired on Toonami.
Yeah I am well aware, I am saddened that no one really RP's it, it is a very creative fandom

Right, Mind linking their names so I can aks one of them?
Rather not be de railing the topic of this thread, but I mentioned their names Riven and Tamotsu. Should be able to search their profiles up. Rather not ping them at this point since I'm betting that they are some what busy.

Please don't derail the thread by talking about potential roleplays. That kind of conversation would be better taking to private messages.

We also have a thread about obscure fandoms, maybe it's worth checking if someone posted a fandom you want there Other - Obscure fandoms you'd like to RP

I get a kick out of interest checks that demand multiple paragraphs or detailed posts or "literate roleplay" (lmao), while being riddled with mechanical errors.

Look at my amazing detailed setting, too bad I'm writing above my skill level and using the wrong words for the concepts I'm trying to communicate.

Romance. Anime. Video games. Fandoms. Multiple characters per player.

A pet peeve from different forums.

When I see it gets too fast and too incomprehensive for me, the red light "FOLD" flashes on my screen.

And of course godmodding - when one person attempts to derail the topic just to rail their characters in as 'strongest'.

See, if there's ever a mecha fandom RP, nine times out of ten, it'll be Gundam. You can't really understate the impact it had on the American fandom when it aired on Toonami.
Armored Core would be a different take, I suppose. Also, a much preferred aesthetic (imo). But I dunno how popular that would even be. There were at least three of four games in the series, so I assume the title did decently well. But I don't ever really see/hear anyone talking about it.

Gundam-kun Gundam-kun

Looking through the on-site ads, see something interesting, dm for information, they ask for discord...

They ask for discord??
alotta ppl take OOC to Discord, even if the RP itself is on-site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back