Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it very confusing and off-putting at times when a writer adds in a absolute volume's worth of 'noise' for the sake of adding in some filler to their posts. As much as I enjoy reading through someone's writing to gain a understanding of the world around our characters, there's a limit to amount that I can mentally process before it just becomes a blur and I find myself feeling like the post itself is stretched out far too much outside of the main event / character interactions. ⛈ 🧠

I find it very confusing and off-putting at times when a writer adds in a absolute volume's worth of 'noise' for the sake of adding in some filler to their posts. As much as I enjoy reading through someone's writing to gain a understanding of the world around our characters, there's a limit to amount that I can mentally process before it just becomes a blur and I find myself feeling like the post itself is stretched out far too much outside of the main event / character interactions. ⛈ 🧠

I like when people give world info legitimately. Like details of a shop, forest, or other places the person is on. Or details of food or fashion. But some do get tired when people become repetitive just to meet a length quota they set.

Or as this one RPer would do and break into flash backs just to tell their characters broken love story. Actually forgetting to give a real reply lol

I like when people give world info legitimately. Like details of a shop, forest, or other places the person is on. Or details of food or fashion. But some do get tired when people become repetitive just to meet a length quota they set.

Or as this one RPer would do and break into flash backs just to tell their characters broken love story. Actually forgetting to give a real reply lol

Aye, I did a 1-2-1 Warhammer 40k themed RP a while ago and for the most part it went 'fairly' alright in the beginning. I just couldn't find ways to use my partner's writing in my own beyond simply acknowledging them and pressing on as so much was being thrown in that I simply felt that my replies would be 90% reacting.. rather than getting on with the story. 😂

Aye, I did a 1-2-1 Warhammer 40k themed RP a while ago and for the most part it went 'fairly' alright in the beginning. I just couldn't find ways to use my partner's writing in my own beyond simply acknowledging them and pressing on as so much was being thrown in that I simply felt that my replies would be 90% reacting.. rather than getting on with the story. 😂

So it was basically a case of an information dump character throwing things out without really flowing with the moment. O not giving any ability to really react react yourself within story flow. I've had both of those.

I had someone in an RP that had started off great but was basically dying slowly do that at one point. We planned to have a scene where one of their lands great scholars they built up came in. We were to have a battle plan of our characters sharing info. Me on the enemy and where they were from and them on the land they were in now and the people their. And instead they just had him trailing off topic randomly and never really talking to my characters. They even went into a totally pointless to the story PC political rant. Not once getting to the point of asking about the enemy really. And when I said OOC this was suppose to be introducing info on my characters and you telling about the allies they replied ":xFtongue: Yeah, he does that. I figure they talk off screen" Then wanted to go back to their helpless character being helpless and talking to someone but not really and clamming up. Not the first or last time before I just rage quit the RP they pulled making a scene frustrating and deciding actual RP happend "off screen"

Roleplay planning gets lonely sometimes. 🙁

I feel that way trying to start a RP with a relative actually. They claim they want to RP. They ask why we never RP. But everytime I message them about ideas and characters they won't stop making jokes. Basically making long drawn out head cannons about my characters based on their pictures and jokes about the plot ideas I throw out and never actually getting to the ideas.

ive come to hate "###+ words only" word counts so much 😔 sm good quality is compromised & in the end you only get maybe a line or two that advances the plot

Roleplay planning gets lonely sometimes. 🙁

Especially when planning with a partner or a group that agrees with what you have in mind but doesn't add on or help expand on the idea. Hearing variations of "sounds good to me" and nothing else grows old after sometime.

ive come to hate "###+ words only" word counts so much 😔 sm good quality is compromised & in the end you only get maybe a line or two that advances the plot
You have 1k word minimum posts someone else asks you.

"Do you want ham or turkey on your sandwich"

*Not writing 1k words on sandwich choice*
*Ghost RP instead*

You have 1k word minimum posts someone else asks you.

"Do you want ham or turkey on your sandwich"

*Not writing 1k words on sandwich choice*
*Ghost RP instead*

Maybe I misunderstood but wouldn’t that person be the one breaking the rules? I don’t see why you have to leave, just let whoever is in charge handle the infraction for you. Or tell them “Hey this is a little short can you expand on it please”

The fact the community surrounding a few roleplays I’m in managed to set itself on fire again. You’d think a fun premise would have a fun community, but nope. Not going to go into detail because there’s a lot of context and a complex web of alliances to potentially rival Game of Theones, but in summary a couple people got mad over something someone did, some people aren’t mad and want the mad people to stop, and I’m awkwardly sitting in the middle wondering how we got here. Why can’t we chill? Why do we keep managing to twist ourselves up with drama repeatedly!?

Fantasy isekai and academy RPs. I know I don't have control over what people want to RP or enjoy, but I'm honestly annoyed at this point because of how numerous they are on all the sites I RP on. It's literally consumed the genre whole.

I don't like RPs that take place in a real location or a specific year where I have to do research on history and location and have to fact check everything I do to make sure it's accurate. Whyyyyy are there so many RPs that take place in New Orleans in the 80s-90s???

I don't like RPs that take place in a real location or a specific year where I have to do research on history and location and have to fact check everything I do to make sure it's accurate. Whyyyyy are there so many RPs that take place in New Orleans in the 80s-90s???
Not to mention that the types of people who set up these kinds of roleplays will totally talk shit about you behind your back if you get something wrong.

Some of my pet peeves:

• I personally use a hands-off approach when I am the gm, for the most part (worlds and storylines are things for the players to create together, in my opinion, and it's not just for me to make), but I'm fine with gms who have set ideas for the plot of an rp or the world of an rp. What I don't think are cool, however, are gms who have a particular vision for how exactly every single event in the RP is going to happen or want to control every single dang aspect of it. Ie., a character that you create must want to be in a relationship with this other character whom they've only just met because I, the gm, the benevolent mastermind that I am, ship them. I get that this rp is your creation, but if you want a story that's all yours and for events to play out exactly how you envision them, go and write a book!

• Gms who want to know every detail about your character. Every backstory detail, every feeling that they've ever had in their life, everything. I get not wanting plot twists to be manufactured, but...please...micromanaging kind of defeats the fun.

• Gms who change the entire premise or add new details that fundamentally effect the rp as a whole once you join. Ie., giving important plot details/plans that would effect the characters' willingness to even be in the situation that the rp requires them to be in only after the rp has started.

• The gms who turn against people who say that they're no longer interested in rps. Ie., a person who creates a character decides, after learning more about the rp, that they'd like to leave, and the gm insults the character and says that it sucked anyway and, more or less, "good riddance".

I don't like having to use a thesaurus to understand what my partner is trying to say. It's one thing to have a big vocabulary and use it effectively vs. trying to sound smart without thinking about how all these words fit together. Like yes, you have demonstrated you know what words mean, but the sentence also has to mean something too.
I'm not trying to study for the GRE while rping lol

Similarly, I am not a fan of using a bunch of synonyms for 'eyes.' Though I do admit to being an occasional 'orbs' user, I think it is okay to call things what they are without a synonym. Unless it truly adds something to the flow/structure/sound of the sentence we can say eyes. Optics would be a good alternative too if I had to use one.

Anyway, that's just my onion.

I keep wanting to make new characters and/or join new RPs despite being behind on two out of my three existing RPs.

I think my inspiration level is way above my writing speed currently and it's a bit frustrating.

So, what do you guys dislike in a Roleplay? What have you guys found in a Roleplay that annoyed or bothered you? I’d love to hear what you guys have to say!

Okay so I guess I can give out a couple of things I dislike about roleplays that I’ve done in the past.

1. As someone who has had roleplayed for 7 years, it bothers me when I get partners who are iMpAtIeNt and will ask me when I’ll respond. I just wanna enjoy the Roleplay but I can’t if my partner is pushy about me replying all the time. They’ll bump me every 15 to 20 minutes asking if I’m gonna reply or not.

2. The fact that I will give out well thought out ideas and I’ll ask my partner what they think and they’re just like “Oh yeah sure. They’re neat.” Like... that’s all they gotta say? That doesn’t really give me enough to go on honestly.

Ughhh I agree with your #1 and #2 honestly, it can really negatively impact RPs.

I tend to heavily dislike when in RP threads, people RP "on their own?" For example, they have their character wait in line to get something and then sit in a corner and their next few posts are them sitting there not interacting, not even having their characters think about anything that may influence the plot or inspire other players to build a storyline with them... it makes me go "???" because I don't see the point of RPing in those cases. Same when you have your OC say a line of dialogue, and they just hum back and sit further away again. It makes the main plot slow to a halt very quickly IMO. No matter how interesting it is.

I also dislike when people's RP codes are bright and distracting, especially when they're completely different than anyone else in that RP thread. Maybe that's just because it hurts my eyes, though.

Ughhh I agree with your #1 and #2 honestly, it can really negatively impact RPs.

I tend to heavily dislike when in RP threads, people RP "on their own?" For example, they have their character wait in line to get something and then sit in a corner and their next few posts are them sitting there not interacting, not even having their characters think about anything that may influence the plot or inspire other players to build a storyline with them... it makes me go "???" because I don't see the point of RPing in those cases. Same when you have your OC say a line of dialogue, and they just hum back and sit further away again. It makes the main plot slow to a halt very quickly IMO. No matter how interesting it is.

I also dislike when people's RP codes are bright and distracting, especially when they're completely different than anyone else in that RP thread. Maybe that's just because it hurts my eyes, though.

I agree with this. I’ve got bad eyesight and bright RP codes hurt my eyes. I wanna tell them to change their RP code to something not as bright that’ll hurt my eyes but I don’t wanna come off as rude.

Also, I’ve noticed a RP can’t get very far with the “roleplaying on their own” like what you said, it slows the plot down or even makes the plot come to a halt. Like, the RP becomes extremely boring if the Roleplay partner drags on the “roleplaying on their own” for a few posts at a time.

There's probably more, but one that immediately comes to mind is when there's a player(or players) who insists on one-upping everyone else. They feel a need to make their character the most powerful in whichever ways are most relevant to the RP. They also constantly want to be the hero. I mean, cool that you're eager to be heroic, but the story does not revolve around just you. Give everyone else a chance to shine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back