Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAMN YALL WROTE A LOT WHILE I WAS GONE FOR A LIL BIT. I hope everyone is having a good day haha, thank you for joining in my thread once again it means a lot that we can all kind of come together and just vent lmaoo.

So I havent responded due to school// a shit load of work and simply because I HAVENT BEEN ANGRY BUT GUESS WHAT IM KIND OF ANGRY AND HAVE A LIST AHAHAH SO LETS ROLL DA CAMERAS BOYS AND GIRLS AND ETCETERAS. AND U KNOW WHAT, I DONT CARE ABOUT OUTING PEOPLE, IM NOT SAYING YA NAME SO NO ONE KNOWS ITS U STFU I DONT CARE MAYBE BE A BETTER PERSON WHEN U TALK TO ME.

1. I've said this before, AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN. I am SICK AND TIRED of creating a long ass thread telling people what type of writer I am and giving a small guideline of what I expect in a partner-- (side note I even started leaving shit at the bottom of the thread to see if they read through it rather than skimmed through it) I AM SICK AND TIRED OF GETTING MESSAGES THAT ARE SO HALF ASSED. SOME MF DUDE MESSAGED ME. he was like: blah blah blah I'm interested in this. DIDNT ANSWER ANY OF THE QUESTIONS I ASKED OR EVEN SEND A MEME THAT I REQUESTED ON MY THREAD, so I'm just like: uh I guess we can rp it HOWEVER PLEASE PERSON, PLEASE send me a sample of your work and tell me about yourself!

I get a : well wtf do u want to know.

BRO EXCUSE ME. writing this out makes me so angry that i can't DESCRIBE MY HATRED FOR THAT COMMENT, I HATE THIS PERSON I HOPE U SEE THIS LMAOOO. ok but not really I'm just heated and I'm little I'm closer to hell dont take me that seriously. IM VENTING.

2. I feel like I've noticed this in multiple potential rps that I'm trying to make with people. As a bunch of people have also said on here how they feel like they're the only ones coming up with ideas and such-- I definitely feel the same! U guys arent alone lmao, but its REALLY starting to bother me because I'm trying to come up with lore and world building and my "partners" are being lil bitches THAT JUST TALK ABOUT THEIR OWN CHARACTER AND NOTHING ABOUT MINE AS WELL OR EVEN THE WORLD. instead they provide IRRELEVANT information and get pissy with me when I call them out on it. EAT MY BUTT KAREN, EAT IT.

3. I've apologized for this before and now I dont want to anymore but I hope my "partners" realize that I DO have a life outside of RpN. I'm a student and have a full time job dude, SO WHEN I COME HOME AND WANNA FUCK UP A LEAGUE GAME OR PLAY THE SIMS 4, LEAVE ME ALONE I DONT WANT TO TALK ABOUT HOW YOUR OP CHARACTER IS GONNA WRECK THE WORLD. IM TRYING TO DESTRESS LET ME RESPOND TO U IN LIKE 2-5 BUSINESS DAYS CALM DOWN. JUST BECAUSE I READ IT DOESNT MEAN IM GONNA RESPOND STOP SPAMMING ME.

4. I'm going back #1 if I get ANOTHER message about my thread JUST stating u want to rp this specific plot WITHOUT SAYING ANOTHER WORD, I'm flaming u. that's its I CANT DO IVE HAD IT UP TO HERE.

5. it's really bothering me that some of the "partners" I have just dont seem to give a shit. maybe this one is just a me thing but like when I'm like really enjoying a rp or I'm into plotting it out and talking about little details that just BUILD the world-- I Will look up information just to make it "realistic" to say. Like if characters have to travel somewhere in the world, AND WE ARE IN AMERICA OR ON EARTH, I WILL look up specific places rather than making up some ditzy city that we wont remember to include. I just think that it would be nice if someone looked up something to include in the rp like I do or EVEN CONTRIBUTING. It's very disheartening to feel like you're doing the leg work and taking time out of your day to make a sick rp but instead, I have a garbage "partner".

By the way, when I say "partner" I'm talking about people that I havent roleplayed with, people that failed when the rp started, or people I've recently stopped talking to. I know I'm venting and pretty much "shouting" in my post however in personal pms, I try to be very nice about it, unless I get attitude. In pms I'll dispute about it peacefully and then i come here to vent lmao.

Anyway I'd like to tag people that inspired me to write my list today because u guys are really funny and awesome, and I appreciate u for responding to this.

Loud_and_proud Loud_and_proud Bum Bear Bum Bear Azreal Azreal stilinski. stilinski. T Tove Volarit Volarit r72666 r72666

Last edited:
Immediate decline, leave the conversation, put on ignore. How do you respond to someone's question with that type of reaction? That right there is enough to save you a lot of trouble. People that want to roleplay with you are going to have their things in order when they approach you otherwise if they can't I wouldn't bothered especially with people that give you attitude.

Immediate decline, leave the conversation, put on ignore. How do you respond to someone's question with that type of reaction? That right there is enough to save you a lot of trouble. People that want to roleplay with you are going to have their things in order when they approach you otherwise if they can't I wouldn't bothered especially with people that give you attitude.

good thing is, I did leave. but the fact is: I cant believe they said that just like I cant believe it's not butter.

DAMN YALL WROTE A LOT WHILE I WAS GONE FOR A LIL BIT. I hope everyone is having a good day haha, thank you for joining in my thread once again it means a lot that we can all kind of come together and just vent lmaoo.

So I havent responded due to school// a shit load of work and simply because I HAVENT BEEN ANGRY BUT GUESS WHAT IM KIND OF ANGRY AND HAVE A LIST AHAHAH SO LETS ROLL DA CAMERAS BOYS AND GIRLS AND ETCETERAS. AND U KNOW WHAT, I DONT CARE ABOUT OUTING PEOPLE, IM NOT SAYING YA NAME SO NO ONE KNOWS ITS U STFU I DONT CARE MAYBE BE A BETTER PERSON WHEN U TALK TO ME.

1. I've said this before, AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN. I am SICK AND TIRED of creating a long ass thread telling people what type of writer I am and giving a small guideline of what I expect in a partner-- (side note I even started leaving shit at the bottom of the thread to see if they read through it rather than skimmed through it) I AM SICK AND TIRED OF GETTING MESSAGES THAT ARE SO HALF ASSED. SOME MF DUDE MESSAGED ME. he was like: blah blah blah I'm interested in this. DIDNT ANSWER ANY OF THE QUESTIONS I ASKED OR EVEN SEND A MEME THAT I REQUESTED ON MY THREAD, so I'm just like: uh I guess we can rp it HOWEVER PLEASE PERSON, PLEASE send me a sample of your work and tell me about yourself!

BRO EXCUSE ME. writing this out makes me so angry that i can't DESCRIBE MY HATRED FOR THAT COMMENT, I HATE THIS PERSON I HOPE U SEE THIS LMAOOO. ok but not really I'm just heated and I'm little I'm closer to hell dont take me that seriously. IM VENTING.

2. I feel like I've noticed this in multiple potential rps that I'm trying to make with people. As a bunch of people have also said on here how they feel like they're the only ones coming up with ideas and such-- I definitely feel the same! U guys arent alone lmao, but its REALLY starting to bother me because I'm trying to come up with lore and world building and my "partners" are being lil bitches THAT JUST TALK ABOUT THEIR OWN CHARACTER AND NOTHING ABOUT MINE AS WELL OR EVEN THE WORLD. instead they provide IRRELEVANT information and get pissy with me when I call them out on it. EAT MY ASS KAREN, EAT IT.

3. I've apologized for this before and now I dont want to anymore but I hope my "partners" realize that I DO have a life outside of RpN. I'm a student and have a full time job dude, SO WHEN I COME HOME AND WANNA FUCK UP A LEAGUE GAME OR PLAY THE SIMS 4, LEAVE ME ALONE I DONT WANT TO TALK ABOUT HOW YOUR OP CHARACTER IS GONNA WRECK THE WORLD. IM TRYING TO DESTRESS LET ME RESPOND TO U IN LIKE 2-5 BUSINESS DAYS CALM DOWN. JUST BECAUSE I READ IT DOESNT MEAN IM GONNA RESPOND STOP SPAMMING ME.

4. I'm going back #1 if I get ANOTHER message about my thread JUST stating u want to rp this specific plot WITHOUT SAYING ANOTHER WORD, I'm flaming u. that's its I CANT DO IVE HAD IT UP TO HERE.

5. it's really bothering me that some of the "partners" I have just dont seem to give a shit. maybe this one is just a me thing but like when I'm like really enjoying a rp or I'm into plotting it out and talking about little details that just BUILD the world-- I Will look up information just to make it "realistic" to say. Like if characters have to travel somewhere in the world, AND WE ARE IN AMERICA OR ON EARTH, I WILL look up specific places rather than making up some ditzy city that we wont remember to include. I just think that it would be nice if someone looked up something to include in the rp like I do or EVEN CONTRIBUTING. It's very disheartening to feel like you're doing the leg work and taking time out of your day to make a sick rp but instead, I have a garbage "partner".

By the way, when I say "partner" I'm talking about people that I havent roleplayed with, people that failed when the rp started, or people I've recently stopped talking to. I know I'm venting and pretty much "shouting" in my post however in personal pms, I try to be very nice about it, unless I get attitude. In pms I'll dispute about it peacefully and then i come here to vent lmao.

Anyway I'd like to tag people that inspired me to write my list today because u guys are really funny and awesome, and I appreciate u for responding to this.

Loud_and_proud Loud_and_proud Bum Bear Bum Bear Azreal Azreal stilinski. stilinski. T Tove Volarit Volarit r72666 r72666

Jeez, not to be rude or anything but as a relatively new member to this site this is a little disheartening?? Like hey, have your own opinions and stuff, but some of us have no experience with worldbuilding and stuff...?

I've been roleplaying for a few years but... is worldbuilding common on this site? Now I'm confused.

Jeez, not to be rude or anything but as a relatively new member to this site this is a little disheartening?? Like hey, have your own opinions and stuff, but some of us have no experience with worldbuilding and stuff...?

I've been roleplaying for a few years but... is worldbuilding common on this site? Now I'm confused.

Hello! I'm sorry if it came out as like rude or anything, I tend to get very carried away with my venting simply because I dont do it that often!

I think it's fine to not be experienced however it's not fine to completely ignore it or force others to confine to your ways by not involving world building. It's really a personal matter if you want to include it or not. I wouldnt say it's common on THE SITE but a lot of people do like to include it just to give the roleplay some dimension.

I'm not getting mad at people that dont know how to do it, I'm getting mad at people I've interacted with that claim they're on the same page as me but wont contribute to the plot and will give me the bare minimum.

Hello! I'm sorry if it came out as like rude or anything, I tend to get very carried away with my venting simply because I dont do it that often!

I think it's fine to not be experienced however it's not fine to completely ignore it or force others to confine to your ways by not involving world building. It's really a personal matter if you want to include it or not. I wouldnt say it's common on THE SITE but a lot of people do like to include it just to give the roleplay some dimension.

I'm not getting mad at people that dont know how to do, I'm getting mad at people I've interacted with that claim they're on the same page as me but wont contribute to the plot and will give me the bare minimum.

Oh I see, that makes way more sense ^^ Yeah I get where you're coming from, since it's a process that involves two people agreeing on things and making sure everything works and won't just fall flat.

So see my problem is I am super organized but I have a crap memory. So like if someone asks for me to add some special thing to prove I read their thread I almost always forget it.

So then I send this random post like oh yeah btw I don’t listen to music or know any memes or I don’t actually care about colors. But I can give you a detailed explanation of what a lame ass fan girl I am to let you know I saw the question I simply am not cool enough to answer.

And if someone asks me questions about MYSELF??? Omg guys you care you really care. Let me copy paste my about section from my own search thread and give you like five paragraphs about my ideas.

If I legit don’t have an idea I will at the very least tell you what I like about the concept and ask you what you like. I am HERE for joint brainstorming.

Lastly I HAVE FOUND MY PEOPLE iMeisaki iMeisaki , cuz legit I actually spend days on Zillow looking up real estate for my OC like they are real people buying houses. Then I google maps where their pretend house is in relation to real places.

And for totally made up places I make a map then roughly work out the travel times from Point A-D.

I create entire documents with paragraphs about their houses and my crappy gross drawings of their property.

I also stay up late at night googling shit like : how to raise goats, how to build a Cobb house, how to farm fish, medieval technology, etc.

So see my problem is I am super organized but I have a crap memory. So like if someone asks for me to add some special thing to prove I read their thread I almost always forget it.

So then I send this random post like oh yeah btw I don’t listen to music or know any memes or I don’t actually care about colors. But I can give you a detailed explanation of what a lame ass fan girl I am to let you know I saw the question I simply am not cool enough to answer.

And if someone asks me questions about MYSELF??? Omg guys you care you really care. Let me copy paste my about section from my own search thread and give you like five paragraphs about my ideas.

If I legit don’t have an idea I will at the very least tell you what I like about the concept and ask you what you like. I am HERE for joint brainstorming.

Lastly I HAVE FOUND MY PEOPLE iMeisaki iMeisaki , cuz legit I actually spend days on Zillow looking up real estate for my OC like they are real people buying houses. Then I google maps where their pretend house is in relation to real places.

And for totally made up places I make a map then roughly work out the travel times from Point A-D.

I create entire documents with paragraphs about their houses and my crappy gross drawings of their property.

I also stay up late at night googling shit like : how to raise goats, how to build a Cobb house, how to farm fish, medieval technology, etc.

Okay, the fact that you ACKNOWLEDGE the question, would be good enough for me. THESE PEOPLE DONT SAY ANYTHING AS IF IT DIDNT EXIST AND WILL BE DUMBFOUNDED WHEN I MENTION IT.

BUT UGH IM SO GLAD IVE FOUND ANOTHER PERSON THATLL LOOK UP THINGS. I just like being knowledgable of the subject of the rp. like GOD IM IN THIS WONDERFUL RP WITH AN AMAZING PERSON AND UGH I JUST LOOK UP LOVELY PICTURES FOR SETTINGS AND CERTAIN THINGS AND GAH

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SEARCHING THINGS JUST SO I DONT SEEM LIKE A DUMBASS THAT MESSES UP. for example I'm worried about a potential rp where a character in it will have a mental disability//illness. and I cant help but look up the symptoms of it and I have a feeling that my partner is gonna screw this character up bc of the way they sent me a character sheet and how weird they acted when I asked for a simple face claim. ugh I just dont know how to go about saying that I might wanna cancel the rp lmaooo.

The fact that you actually make your own drawings to put with your information is awesome and very thorough and amazing. That's what you do when you write. Thumbs up from me!

It seems a little extreme calling someone "garbage" just because they don't look up extra information that they don't know and just go with the gist of what they understand.

For instance, I do make my research on certain topics once in a while (mostly if I'm doing something in more of a realistic setting), but this mostly happens if I want a character to be an expert on something, or to assure consistency... But I've also been in plenty of situations where someone who happens to be more knowledgeable than me on a particular topic, say, because they studied it somewhere or they happen to be particularly interested in that topic, called me out on the topic, and instances where I wasn't called out, but I still know I exagerated or altered symptoms of a given disease and such to better fit the story or character. And yet I can tell you for a fact I definitely put in the work. Maybe not that work, but I do put in the work.

Does distorting physics for a super power make it worse? Does, using your own example, creating a fictional city as opposed to being constrained to using real lifes one they might know nothing about, negatively affect the worldbuilding? Does the fact that I value the narrative more than I value the realism outside of the story's bounds make me "garbage"?

Now, I won't pretend like I know what the people you are talking about are actually like- for all I know, they could all really just be lazy *ssh*l*s. However, just from what I read of the complaint, seems to equate "not giving a sh*t about the RP" with "not giving a sh*t about the realism", and "not putting in research" to "not putting in effort", which may hurt your experience as well.

Attempting to force romance into an rp.
I'm fine with romance in rp's, but if we're doing an adventure rp, or horror rp, and we never mentioned romance in the preamble, and it doesn't make sense in the context of the story (I don't want to make out with you while we're fighting for our lives or trying to make our way through some Lovecraftian house of horrors) it's just aggravating as hell.

It seems a little extreme calling someone "garbage" just because they don't look up extra information that they don't know and just go with the gist of what they understand.

For instance, I do make my research on certain topics once in a while (mostly if I'm doing something in more of a realistic setting), but this mostly happens if I want a character to be an expert on something, or to assure consistency... But I've also been in plenty of situations where someone who happens to be more knowledgeable than me on a particular topic, say, because they studied it somewhere or they happen to be particularly interested in that topic, called me out on the topic, and instances where I wasn't called out, but I still know I exagerated or altered symptoms of a given disease and such to better fit the story or character. And yet I can tell you for a fact I definitely put in the work. Maybe not that work, but I do put in the work.

Does distorting physics for a super power make it worse? Does, using your own example, creating a fictional city as opposed to being constrained to using real lifes one they might know nothing about, negatively affect the worldbuilding? Does the fact that I value the narrative more than I value the realism outside of the story's bounds make me "garbage"?

Now, I won't pretend like I know what the people you are talking about are actually like- for all I know, they could all really just be lazy *ssh*l*s. However, just from what I read of the complaint, seems to equate "not giving a sh*t about the RP" with "not giving a sh*t about the realism", and "not putting in research" to "not putting in effort", which may hurt your experience as well.

Yikes I feel tension from this comment lmao. Hello though! As I stated in the last paragraph: I just think that it would be nice if someone looked up something to include in the rp like I do or EVEN CONTRIBUTING. It's very disheartening to feel like you're doing the leg work and taking time out of your day to make a sick rp but instead, I have a garbage "partner".

I am NOT saying that I have a garbage partner because they dont look up information. I was alluding to the part where I said " EVEN CONTRIBUTING " If theres no contribution to the plot or anything and I have a partner that focuses solely on their character and themselves, then I consider that being garbage. Like it or not, but I consider making an rp as a two way street. As i stated talking to Qwebs Qwebs , it's a personal matter if i want to involve world building or not. If people cant read that i wrote stating i want world building, that's on them. I'm not getting upset at the people that may not understand and go with the gist of things, I'm getting mad at the execution or the lack or trying.

When you say exaggerated, it just depends on how exaggerated you make it. When you say you put in work, I appreciate that you at least do something rather than nothing.

Ugh, haha, you're completely blowing what I said out of proportion it's kind of funny but I do have to clarify it because it's a misunderstanding. No, distorting physics does not make it worse. Super powers arent realistic and can be made up. Also, I dont see how using a real city is constraining on an rp. I never said we had to use specific landmarks. If I'm really going to be honest, for the rp I'm in, I only used real cities names. The rest is just being made up along with somewhat intensive research as to what to include to make it appropriate for MY rp. To not know a city wont negatively affect the world building AT ALL.

The people that I've mention , throughout this entire thread have either: Not been compatible with me, or as I stated contributed NOTHING to when we were brainstorming. That's why I said what I said. However I'm not exactly calling them garbage in a vindictive way, it's really for humorous purposes as well as for myself to vent. Again, I said before to not really take me seriously, any venting that I do is mainly to be funny and to be a way for others to relate.

I brought up about my frustration about these people not giving research or "realism" because these are my frustrations however it had been misunderstood because I DID say that these people didnt contribute at all- Research or not.

It all dives into the deeper subject of how things are executed, what is being exaggerated, and what not. I'm not going to get mad at them not giving a shit to realism if it's a super power or something simple. I'll be upset that they dont give a shit after claiming they do.

I know where I stand at a role players perspective, I know what I'm garbage at and what I'm not. I'm not trying to say that I'm the best here and all of these people are shitty and blah blah blah. this had to be cleared up bc I feel like you are trying to make it seem like in this god awful person when I'm not lmao. Yes now I know that may not be your intention to paint me as this asshole that says whatever she wants, but it's like the misunderstanding that you're claiming about "equate "not giving a sh*t about the RP" with "not giving a sh*t about the realism", and "not putting in research" to "not putting in effort"," when that's not the case at all.

I made this thread to vent, and also for the meme to just try and get a good laugh out of other people's frustrations.

I'm merely just trying to clarify my post! I apologize for any type of misinterpretation or misunderstanding and hoped this clarified it.

I think what it boils down to is an even distribution of work in the roleplay.

I don't need someone else to spend hours on minutia like me, but I do ask that they contribute something beyond one word replies and a half-assed CS.

I love it when people get engaged with the world building but I don't care if that isn't my partners priority.

As long as they contribute to the plotting in some way I'm good. But when there is no contribution it does feel like your dealing with a lemon of a partner.

I was doing this rp on another site and was really enjoying it.

It had a few people in it. Well 2 days ago I posted a reply and one of the people just like vanished

They still come online but they haven't posted a reply.

Like, I get that life happens but.. update if something came up? Please? Did you not know how to write a response to what I said? Do I need to change something?

like don't just vanish off the face of the earth and not say anything please and thank you

I was doing this rp on another site and was really enjoying it.

It had a few people in it. Well 2 days ago I posted a reply and one of the people just like vanished

They still come online but they haven't posted a reply.

Like, I get that life happens but.. update if something came up? Please? Did you not know how to write a response to what I said? Do I need to change something?

like don't just vanish off the face of the earth and not say anything please and thank you
I wouldn't say 2 days is long enough to worry. Maybe a week. Sometimes people come online to hang out, do other things aside of roleplay I can say I've done that myself. You just don't feel like posting, it happens. I'm sure they'll give a response or an update you should give them a little time first, you have to remember your time is not the same as everyone else's.

Yikes I feel tension from this comment lmao. Hello though! As I stated in the last paragraph: I just think that it would be nice if someone looked up something to include in the rp like I do or EVEN CONTRIBUTING. It's very disheartening to feel like you're doing the leg work and taking time out of your day to make a sick rp but instead, I have a garbage "partner".

I am NOT saying that I have a garbage partner because they dont look up information. I was alluding to the part where I said " EVEN CONTRIBUTING " If theres no contribution to the plot or anything and I have a partner that focuses solely on their character and themselves, then I consider that being garbage. Like it or not, but I consider making an rp as a two way street. As i stated talking to @Qwebs , it's a personal matter if i want to involve world building or not. If people cant read that i wrote stating i want world building, that's on them. I'm not getting upset at the people that may not understand and go with the gist of things, I'm getting mad at the execution or the lack or trying.

When you say exaggerated, it just depends on how exaggerated you make it. When you say you put in work, I appreciate that you at least do something rather than nothing.

Ugh, haha, you're completely blowing what I said out of proportion it's kind of funny but I do have to clarify it because it's a misunderstanding. No, distorting physics does not make it worse. Super powers arent realistic and can be made up. Also, I dont see how using a real city is constraining on an rp. I never said we had to use specific landmarks. If I'm really going to be honest, for the rp I'm in, I only used real cities names. The rest is just being made up along with somewhat intensive research as to what to include to make it appropriate for MY rp. To not know a city wont negatively affect the world building AT ALL.

The people that I've mention , throughout this entire thread have either: Not been compatible with me, or as I stated contributed NOTHING to when we were brainstorming. That's why I said what I said. However I'm not exactly calling them garbage in a vindictive way, it's really for humorous purposes as well as for myself to vent. Again, I said before to not really take me seriously, any venting that I do is mainly to be funny and to be a way for others to relate.

I brought up about my frustration about these people not giving research or "realism" because these are my frustrations however it had been misunderstood because I DID say that these people didnt contribute at all- Research or not.

It all dives into the deeper subject of how things are executed, what is being exaggerated, and what not. I'm not going to get mad at them not giving a shit to realism if it's a super power or something simple. I'll be upset that they dont give a shit after claiming they do.

I know where I stand at a role players perspective, I know what I'm garbage at and what I'm not. I'm not trying to say that I'm the best here and all of these people are shitty and blah blah blah. this had to be cleared up bc I feel like you are trying to make it seem like in this god awful person when I'm not lmao. Yes now I know that may not be your intention to paint me as this asshole that says whatever she wants, but it's like the misunderstanding that you're claiming about "equate "not giving a sh*t about the RP" with "not giving a sh*t about the realism", and "not putting in research" to "not putting in effort"," when that's not the case at all.

I made this thread to vent, and also for the meme to just try and get a good laugh out of other people's frustrations.

I'm merely just trying to clarify my post! I apologize for any type of misinterpretation or misunderstanding and hoped this clarified it.
I see. Yeah, it was a bit of a misunderstanding on my part then, sorry about that and thanks for clarifying :)

Also, I dont see how using a real city is constraining on an rp. I never said we had to use specific landmarks. If I'm really going to be honest, for the rp I'm in, I only used real cities names. The rest is just being made up along with somewhat intensive research as to what to include to make it appropriate for MY rp. To not know a city wont negatively affect the world building AT ALL.
Using a real city can be constraining because it means using the real city. It means you have to use the layout and landmarks of the city and so on... otherwise, there's no point in using a real city. Fictional ones on the other hand, can be molded for the narrative, or explore thematic or worldbuilding purposes.

I wasn't trying to make you seem like anything. I don't do that sort of thing.

I was, however, bringing it up in part as food for thought. When I mentioned the things you were equating, I was mentioning them as potential misunderstandings on your part that would be perhaps be causing you to have a more negative reception towards certain ways of doing things, thus worsening your experience with some partners.

Still, that misunderstanding has been cleared up.

Hey guys. You need to write less for your comments. There are people who don't read RP OPs. Do you really expect them to read your dissertation in detail (clearly being sarcastic here and yet still pointing out truth (satire?))?

Using a real city can be constraining because it means using the real city. It means you have to use the layout and landmarks of the city and so on... otherwise, there's no point in using a real city. Fictional ones on the other hand, can be molded for the narrative, or explore thematic or worldbuilding purposes.

Okay, yes and no. For some modern, realistic types of rps-- Let's say a one x one taking place as a new neighbor in an apartment complex. It takes place in New York City. Then yes it would be constricting because you'd be using landmarks.

However on the part that I disagree on, for a futuristic type of rp-- I used a real city that I randomly chose because of its name. The lore is that in the city everything's basically destroyed, so there are no landmarks or basic outline -- It was me doing research on the state and city and figuring out how long it would take to travel there from point A in the rp.

Things like that is what I mean for some research as well. I'm glad we were able to clear this up!

Hey guys. You need to write less for your comments. There are people who don't read RP OPs. Do you really expect them to read your dissertation in detail (clearly being sarcastic here and yet still pointing out truth (satire?))?

I'm not expecting anyone to read anything they dont want to read. I will continue writing as much as I want to either vent or get my point across since I created this thread to do so! So no, i will not write less!

Okay, yes and no. For some modern, realistic types of rps-- Let's say a one x one taking place as a new neighbor in an apartment complex. It takes place in New York City. Then yes it would be constricting because you'd be using landmarks.

However on the part that I disagree on, for a futuristic type of rp-- I used a real city that I randomly chose because of its name. The lore is that in the city everything's basically destroyed, so there are no landmarks or basic outline -- It was me doing research on the state and city and figuring out how long it would take to travel there from point A in the rp.

Things like that is what I mean for some research as well. I'm glad we were able to clear this up!
I see. Nonetheless, for such a situation I think one might as well just use a fictional city- I don't see what the different would be by using a real one, other than requiring the extra step of looking up the distances.

Still, I don't intend to start an argument (no more than I already have anyway) so I'll take my leave now. Have a good day or night wherever you may be!

I'm not sure if I'm mad or just disappointed but one of my RP partneres just ... exited our conversation for no apparent reason? We were getting along swimingly- well at least that's how I saw it. I mean- we had similar RP ideas and our writting styles seemed to work together (we sent each other a writing sample). We chatted and they were very nice to me and then they just... exited the chat without telling me if I did something wrong? It was right after I posted my OC's CS so I assume they loathed my character that much? I do not think my character was a Mary Sue or anything, not with the amount of experience I have in creating OCs. (And, even if MC was that horrible, I would have liked them to at least tell it to me straight/give me some constructive criticism?) This is the first time I've suffered such a out of nowhere rejection ... and now I'm just kinda sad and doubting my RPing skills. (IDK if I make it sound too dramatic- I'm just in a bad mood rn)

Repeat after me : It’s not personal. It has nothing to do with me.

Honestly 90% of the time it’s something totally unrelated. Maybe they just got informed a relative died. Maybe they have depression and are in a bad headspace. Maybe they got intimidated by you CS. Maybe they just forgot they haven’t replied.

Point is it’s not a rejection of you and you can’t look at it like that. Instead see if the person is still even online. If they are give them a gentle poke.

Send them something like “Are you okay? Do you need some time away from the roleplay? Is there anything I can do to help?”

This usually gets some clarification from your partner and it doesn’t automatically make them feel attacked or like you are angry at them.

If they don’t respond but are online then they aren’t the partner for you and the problem is on them. It’s not your fault if they can’t communicate and they will have the exact same problem with everyone else they talk to. It isn’t that they dislike you as an individual it’s that they can’t communicate properly with anyone period.

If they aren’t online at all than it’s probably real life and I would just be patient. Nothing worse than having a real life crisis only to come back to nasty messages (not saying you left any but some people do). Like if I just had to deal with stress in real life I don’t need to be guilt tripped by a partner for a fun hobby.

I don't actually mind carrying a role-play if it is a small group or a 1x1. Even then, I do like having opinions of my ideas if I'm the only one shooting them out. If you don't like something, let me know. Bonus points if you explain why. I'm not the type of person to bite your head off if you don't like something, and I try not to come off as that.
Basically, I'll carry, but I still want them to pay attention. I'll build the world myself, but I don't want them to ignore it. It is irritating when you have writing partners who give you nothing, even in their posts. Luckily, I don't have this issue with any of my current writing partners.

Another irritating thing is when someone is so involved with their own character that they don't pay attention to the other characters/setting around them.
Example: Jake Edgewood who sits at the back of the class and doesn't talk to anyone unless he absolutely has to, spends the majority of the role-play whining in internal monologue instead of actually putting anything in to the role-play even after being forced in to a situations that would make anyone have a reaction. Did I mention he's secretly the son of satan and doesn't tell anyone until he gets angry about being "ignored"?
Example two: Miss elegant know-it-all who doesn't need a man, but constantly needs to state it in every post while simultaneously saying every guy is looking at her because she's just so beautiful. She also pulls skills out of her wazoo that weren't put in the cs, and mixes up other characters.

Ok, let my clarify- my problem was not getting ghosted (per say.)

I chatted/planned the RP with a person for a bit and then they willingly pressed the ‘exit conversation’ button the very next day, no explanation given. This is clearly not a case of forgetting to reply and I do not think they would have bothered to come back to the site and manually exit the PM if something grave like a relative dying or a life crisis had happened.

They have most of their data hidden so I have no idea what they’re up to/if they’re online. They communicated very well with me at the beginning and were pleasant to talk to, so I do not believe it is a communication problem. I did send them a message asking if I’ve done something wrong (no ‘nasty’ stuff, just genuine curiosity) and I am currently waiting for a reply. Thanks for the advice anyways :)

EDIT: I may have rushed a bit to post this/message them, but I was really curious what determined a person that seemed very nice to nope out of a chat that had went very well.

See my point is that a lot of times we have an attitude that makes us miserable and doesn't change anything. I think the biggest problem most roleplayers have is that they take things way too personally. I used to be the same way. The least bit of criticism would have me literally in tears. I would get super bummed out when I was ghosted because I was convinced it meant that my partners hated me.

All that is just insecurity and lack of experience. And two things made me grow out of it.

1.) I work in customer service so in training they always hammered in the QTIP method, basically Quit Taking It Personally. It's a way of dealing with the public screaming at you for things that aren't your job or (more importantly) out of your control. It means just taking a deep breath and remembering that their issues are not your problem and just getting through the encounter.

2.) I was in a group roleplay where one of the players was in a bad car accident and was hospitalized for months. The first thing she did when she could use a computer again was send a long letter to everyone in the thread. She explained what happened and apologist for being unable to inform us. At the time I was horrified that this person had been in a life threatening accident, severely injured, and she was so worried about what a bunch of strangers in a X-Men roleplay thought of her that she felt the need to write a letter explaining things. It was ridiculous. No one in the group even noticed her accident and we were all of course just happy she was safe and okay. But that need to explain herself sat with me.

And I realized that when it comes to roleplays the only things I can control is my own work and my attitude. I can't make people do anything nor can I ever really know what is going on in another persons head unless they tell me. I have had people ghost me constantly. I've even had people exit conversations without warning for no reason I can think of.

But I try not to take it personally. I don't let it hurt my feelings or bum me out. I tell myself they have their reasons and move on. It makes me much happier and takes a lot of the stress out of roleplaying. Because the plain fact is that you will never know why another person did what they did. So if your going to invent your own reason it might as well be one that doesn't negatively effect your day.

When people use the same thread for the OOC and CS. I mean, it serves no purpose other than to make it needlessly complicated to find people's characters later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back