Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run into a form elitism myself. I don't really understand having to expand simple IC conversation moments into deep character analysis of a character's "Yay" or "Nay" (for instance), all for the sake of post-length.

I don't want to waste my effort on that. It's not fun when people get uppity about post length. I'm more concerned about substance.

I've run into a form elitism myself. I don't really understand having to expand simple IC conversation moments into deep character analysis of a character's "Yay" or "Nay" (for instance), all for the sake of post-length.

I don't want to waste my effort on that. It's not fun when people get uppity about post length. I'm more concerned about substance.
I might be guilty of over analysing my characters thoughts, to the point where getting dressed once took three paragraphs as she debated everything from her father's dating habits to what scars she had.

Last edited:
I’ve been waiting for one plus others haven’t replied for 4 days

I would try to give them a poke. Sometimes people forget they haven't posted if a lot of time has gone by. I usually send a quick "Hey how's it going?" And if they don't reply in the next two days I just close the PM.

My inability to code-I hate that I can't code worth a crap. So when I go to a character thread with all these beautiful codes and god like face claims, I just know my little bold underline razzle dazzle not going to cut it (Especially if character spots are limited.) So many cool RP's I've probably turned down because of this, and I understand a lot (all?) of this is in my head. My anxiety starts to envision gorgeous coded replies in the main thread that are all like 3000 words. I consider myself a good writer, but I write to a level that I need to. Sometimes I'm tired yo (I teach elementary kids) So I am honestly not about that RPN novel life since this is more of a hobby and I do a lot of things outside of RPN including writing my own books. However, if I see one of my basic bio brethren post in the thread I will join forces with you. xD

Forced romance. I’m a firm believer of romance taking a while to really be there outside of a fling (which I have yet to make a character that sleeps around). So when I go multiple plots with my OC not really trying to screw yours it’s cause they’re probably not interested for reasons.

No need to suddenly give zero effort in a RP cause your character can’t get their rocks off with mine. It sounds presumptuous but I literally have been witness to this multiple times.

I might be guilty of over analysing my characters thoughts, to the point where getting dressed once took three paragraphs as she debated everything from her father's dating habits to what scars she had.

I'd rather an internal monologue with some juice and character interest in a scene like this than an elaborate blow by blow description of mundane stuff.

"She opened her closet. She opened the drawer in her closet. She rummaged for a pair of socks that matched. She found her bunny socks and sat down. Then she put on her left sock. Then she put on her right sock..."

I have literally seen people spend hundreds of words on things like that, sometimes augmenting it with purple prose, and like really, your partner is not going to care about this, you are wasting your time and theirs.

I'd rather an internal monologue with some juice and character interest in a scene like this than an elaborate blow by blow description of mundane stuff.

"She opened her closet. She opened the drawer in her closet. She rummaged for a pair of socks that matched. She found her bunny socks and sat down. Then she put on her left sock. Then she put on her right sock..."

I have literally seen people spend hundreds of words on things like that, sometimes augmenting it with purple prose, and like really, your partner is not going to care about this, you are wasting your time and theirs.
Nah it wasn't quite that painful, as most of it was her internally debating what outfit would be appropriate for where she was going and how it compared to her usual activities, but I probably could have shortened it a bit.

I don't want to tell people how to make their interest checks and I am fully aware that sense it is your request thread it is your rules. However, I would thoroughly appreciate it if you didn't use tags on your interest check that you clearly aren't interested in. For example, if I look on a fandom interest check and you have Naruto as a tag I don't want to come onto your thread and see that you specifically only want to Bleach, One Piece, and Overlord. If you do not want to RP something, do not put it on your thread, that is baiting.

At least this is how I feel, but I typically just leave instead of addressing it as part of me feels it would be rude to say so on another person's thread.

If you see someone suggesting an idea for a power in the OOC thread for your group role play, don't just go "oh that's cool" and add it on top of your power without asking. Especially if that power is the only one they have.

i've avoided this so far on rpn, thankfully, but it's really annoying when my partner tries to one up my character on everything. like, come on! i get having a more competitive streak if it's a roleplay based around winning challenges or something like that, but our characters are allies right now. they can both be powerful without your oc having to be the better one! plus, that's why we have the antagonists for - if you really want to show off how strong your character is, do it on the bad guys, not on my character.

it's not that i don't want my oc to never lose! i think it can be really fun and good for development if characters don't always get what they want. but what i mean is, i really don't like it when a partner's character is never embarrassed, never sheepish or out of their element - if my character insults them, they'll always have the perfect quip back. if my character hurts them badly, they still somehow manage to be coolheaded and amused like some anime protag. it really sucks the fun out of the ic interactions, tbh. like, can your character please have some weakness?

GM's who leave a roleplay or interest check without a word and refuse to confirm the abandonment of such should get the gat tbh. Just let people know, it's simple. I won't judge you.

I do not like it when a character, who is designed differently from its creator, emulates them. If you were making something and explicitly planned for them to be a serious individual, and then they suddenly start laughing at brown socks because it is the "poopoo colour," then there be problems.

This is really petty... but I dislike when fandoms of an anime that has an English title insist on using the Japanese title. For example: Shingeki no Kyojin for Attack on Titan or the inexplicable Boku no Hero Academia for My Hero Academia. Boku no literally means "my", it's not something bizarre on untranslatable. Or put Boku no Hero Academia AND My Hero Academia in the title of an RP like no one can tell those are the same thing.

I KNOW IT'S REALLY PETTY. ><;;;; Which is why I would never bring it up to anyone.

This is really petty... but I dislike when fandoms of an anime that has an English title insist on using the Japanese title. For example: Shingeki no Kyojin for Attack on Titan or the inexplicable Boku no Hero Academia for My Hero Academia. Boku no literally means "my", it's not something bizarre on untranslatable. Or put Boku no Hero Academia AND My Hero Academia in the title of an RP like no one can tell those are the same thing.

I KNOW IT'S REALLY PETTY. ><;;;; Which is why I would never bring it up to anyone.
That's because anime titles are increasingly more awkward to translate to English. Lots of popular "classic" anime were named after people, places, or things important to the plot, (Sailor Moon, One Piece, Naruto, etc.) which either couldn't be translated or were already written in English. Current anime are often phrases or entire sentences in Japanese, which sound awkward written in English but are hard to recognize by non-speakers in their original language.

BNHA sits between the two, with its English and Japanese names being similar but not identical, so calling it whatever the hell you want is part of the culture.

To be fair at a certain point and time I did know some people who didn't know that Shingeki no Kyojin was Attack on Titan. They were manga only readers and apparently wherever they read their manga it was only ever referred to as Shingeki no Kyojin so sometimes when I would say Attack on Titan they would have no idea that I was talking about the same series. As strange as it sounds some people really don't know that they are the same thing so I somewhat understand why people do this because maybe they are in that group that only knows it by that name or maybe like me they've met people that are unaware of the English or Japanese translation and therefore are using both to make sure that everyone knows what they are talking about.

To be fair at a certain point and time I did know some people who didn't know that Shingeki no Kyojin was Attack on Titan. They were manga only readers and apparently wherever they read their manga it was only ever referred to as Shingeki no Kyojin so sometimes when I would say Attack on Titan they would have no idea that I was talking about the same series. As strange as it sounds some people really don't know that they are the same thing so I somewhat understand why people do this because maybe they are in that group that only knows it by that name or maybe like me they've met people that are unaware of the English or Japanese translation and therefore are using both to make sure that everyone knows what they are talking about.

Well .... Attack on Titan was a subtitle in English written beneath Shingeki no Kyojin on the manga and anime releases in Japan. This is why it isn't an exact translation - it's flavour text to look cool. So it's always been on there. It also makes me think your friends had been reading illegal scanlations, tut tut.

And even if you want to say those two sound quite different it doesn't take a genius to figure out that My Hero Academia and Boku no Hero Academia are the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back