Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's annoying me today is people not valuing a RP that's had success. People are flaky on RPs in this community for no reason. Might leave a project I'm in because of this, it's annoying tf out of me because it's been a big focus. And why would these people make another discord server for this second project they've made? Anyone uninterested in RP #2 is left in a dead OOC because everyone's in Server #2. Could've added channels to the current server but nope, player base divided with the main actives in #2 while I fuck off like a tree. Been a good run though, I guess RP free agency is upcoming lol. At least it's a chance to write new archetypes. If anyone has interesting ongoing projects bang my line, check recent posts for writing samples.

Serious about the last line, interest check roulette is not fun. If you're in something dope lmk, I post often and write pretty good.

Last edited:
*Puts up request thread*

"I roleplay unicorn robots only and they are responsible for the apocalypse!"

*Makes another request thread a day after*

"I roleplay unicorn robots and they are responsible for the apocalypse! Let's roleplay together!"

*Bumps existing threads several times the same day*

Status update
"Why doesn't anyone want to roleplay with me?" *Asks for advice*

*Helpful advice is given about how to make an attractive request thread*

New Request Thread
"I roleplay unicorn robots only and they are responsible for the apocalypse! Let's roleplay together! I welcome your ideas!"

*Bumps new thread several times*

Status update
"Why won't anyone roleplay with me?" *Asks for advice again on same issue*

*Is given helpful advice again*

*Bumps existing threads again without any updates*

Status update
"Why won't anyone roleplay with me?" *Asks for advice on same issue*

*Again helpful advice is given*

*Makes a new request thread*
"I roleplay unicorn robots only. Instead of them being responsible for the apocalypse wizards are and the unicorns have to stop them! Let's roleplay together! I welcome your ideas!" *Bumps thread thirty minutes later*

Status update.
"Why won't anyone roleplay with me?"

Because no one likes unicorn robots they only like unicorns or they don’t like apocalypse roleplays

Because no one likes unicorn robots they only like unicorns or they don’t like apocalypse roleplays

That is exactly the lesson these people seem to learn. Despite multiple people telling them to chill out and be patient.

Its always - “No people don’t like me specifically and all my ideas are trash”

Please decide on the optimal number of people for your RP before you post it, and close it if the amount of interest exceeds that number by too much. Twenty adventurers is way too many for a merry band of misfits.

But on the other hand, if you're gonna have a set number of roles from the get-go, don't write up their personalites and all that beforehand. Let people have some options regarding their characters, or go make a PbtA hack.

It's more of an annoyance than anything but when people leave a chat without telling you. Like dude I don't care if you aren't interested but at least let me know so I don't waste my time working on world building or plotting for a roleplay that isn't going anywhere.

When the mod/admin/GM of a roleplay is a megalomaniac, and enforces rules differently depending on who is and isn't their friend, and by defending this stance chases all the decent players away from the roleplay.

Basically anyone abusing power for any reason ticks me right off. XD

I have a real one now. There is a person... Who just messaged me 'Hi' and 'Want to Rp?' they didn't even read my RP thread. I guess they just go spam 'hi' whoever is 'online' at the moment. My first message on RPN. Not even a real Rp request. :Sob.:

How do we measure writing skill on this site? Is it the person with the most cookies and hearts that is most advanced? Or is it the person with the most published works? Is it the person with the greatest average post length? Is it the person with the best ability to pack more value into shorter and more concise paragraphs?

How do we measure writing skill on this site? Is it the person with the most cookies and hearts that is most advanced? Or is it the person with the most published works? Is it the person with the greatest average post length? Is it the person with the best ability to pack more value into shorter and more concise paragraphs?

Maybe we shouldn't measure it at all.

I think it's important that you find compatible people to RP with, but I don't think it should be a competition.

To answer seriously it’s just individual preference. Whatever you want to use as a yardstick is every bit as valid as whatever other people use.

I don't think anyone sees it as a competition. And part of finding someone compatible is how good their writing skill is.

I think it's important that you find compatible people to RP with, but I don't think it should be a competition.

Maybe it's my Capitalism showing but Id say some competition is healthy. It breeds improvement.

To answer seriously it’s just individual preference. Whatever you want to use as a yardstick is every bit as valid as whatever other people use.

So its a subjective standard. What about an objective standard?

So its a subjective standard. What about an objective standard?

There isn’t one. Because roleplay is a diverse hobby with people from different demographics all roleplaying for different reasons.

So there is no one objective truth that we can all agree on because we don’t all care about the same thing.

in short make up your own standard and don’t be an ass about enforcing it and you’ll be fine.

There isn’t one. Because roleplay is a diverse hobby with people from different demographics all roleplaying for different reasons.

So there is no one objective truth that we can all agree on because we don’t all care about the same thing.

in short make up your own standard and don’t be an ass about enforcing it and you’ll be fine.

Lol. I'm just old fashioned. I miss the bygone days when art forms had objective standards to meet, so that not just anyone can paint the color Yellow, name it "Yellow Scream" and call it art.

Lol. I'm just old fashioned. I miss the bygone days when art forms had objective standards to meet, so that not just anyone can paint the Color Yellow, name it Yellow Scream and call it art.

I mean if it helps one of the differences of view points is that quite a number of people don’t see this as art or art adjacent. We see it as a social hobby where the focus is on making friends not on writing.

I mean if it helps one of the differences of view points is that quite a number of people don’t see this as art or art adjacent. We see it as a social hobby where the focus is on making friends not on writing.

Okay. I myself am just here for a creative outlet. Most jobs I get would bore a corpse into the next cemetery.

reading this thread has been a bit cathartic, so i'd figure i'd add my own little pet peeve: roleplay elitism/elitists.

now this links to a lot of topics; it can be the type of people who expect roleplaying to be your second job, and thus expect constant replies, or it can be the people who are extremely strict with the writing requirements for their partners. while i've never had somebody police my replies specifically, i've heard horror stories of people who will check your word-count to ensure you're "up to standards." it's just kind of gross to me. as somebody who identifies as adv. lit., i understand having preferences for literate partners, but some people take it to unreasonable extremes. if somebody isn't as literate as you'd want them to be, i don't see the problem in just saying it's not going to work.

i think this also applies to people who police others' preferences. people who criticize others for only wanting to play a certain gender (way too common) or only wanting to play characters of a certain sexuality. who cares? nobody is forcing you to roleplay with the people whose preferences don't match yours.

ultimately we're all just people scouring the internet for some evening fun -- i see no point in taking it all too seriously, and especially applying that exigency to others. relax and drink some tea or other beverage of your choosing, idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back