Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was probably already touched on, but people who insist they can't play female characters because they themselves are male, or vice versa. It's not like men and women have vast, incomprehensible personality differences that can only be understood by members of their respective group. I remember once I straightup had to tell a guy that not all women need to have big boobs and I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone.

I don't even worry about spelling as long as I can understand the person. To many English as a second language partners. Not to mention how close I had to watch the autocorrect just to type this message on my notsosmart home. Freaking auto mess up what I want to say.

Usually I overlook these things but the one that really gets me is when people say defiantly instead of definitely. Just kill me now
It's interesting how we have different words that drive us crazy when they're misspelled xD I find defiantly instead of definitely mildly annoying, but it wouldn't bother me if someone repetitively made that mistake. Meanwhile cannon and rouge stress me out to the point that I won't RP with someone I see making those two mistakes regularly... even though I know it's not a big deal.

OMG this. XDDD

It's so petty that I wouldn't even mention it to the person if I was RPing with them, but it would secretly annoy me. XDDD
If they only did it once I wouldn't care much but... idk. I think it comes back to my early days of RPing where wolf pack RP's were all the rage and there was nothing but "rouge" wolves as far as the eye could see. I'm sure there's some weird psychological reason behind it, but I can't handle seeing it misused over and over. I literally start to feel panicky 😂 Cannon doesn't freak me out to the same extent but it definitely gets me to grind my teeth together LOL.

Not a single bit of dialogue is in quotation marks, paragraphs are lumped together, and you can't tell which character is speaking because again no quotation marks and that asterisk thing doesn't cut it for me.

-Yes your character is a Mary-Sue. No matter how many times you insist they are not, they always get their way and everyone always adheres to what they want and thinks they are the most important thing in the world and the only person worth paying attention to. They are definitely a Mary-Sue and are very bland because they don't actually have their own personality no matter how many times you insist they do.

-Every time I step away from the online rp community for a few months, I forget that most people don't like to write characters with different gender identities from themselves. And then I remember, and it shocks me, every time. Like. Dude, writing a woman isn't actually that hard. The foundation of any good character is a strong motivation and personality, and if you can get into the headspace of the character and make the dialogue sound decent, then you can, in essence, write anyone. The lady who works at 7/11 can be just as compelling and interesting as a character as a princess or a magical girl, it's all about how you're going about telling the story.

I can write pretty much any gender or age group so it baffles me that others struggle with it so much.

-Every time I step away from the online rp community for a few months, I forget that most people don't like to write characters with different gender identities from themselves. And then I remember, and it shocks me, every time. Like. Dude, writing a woman isn't actually that hard. The foundation of any good character is a strong motivation and personality, and if you can get into the headspace of the character and make the dialogue sound decent, then you can, in essence, write anyone. The lady who works at 7/11 can be just as compelling and interesting as a character as a princess or a magical girl, it's all about how you're going about telling the story.
I don't really think it has anything to do with it being hard, people just like to play what they play, it's not all that shocking. I would also like to add that people give mixed signals about making characters of the opposite gender so while you say it's easy and all it requires is good personality and motivation I guarantee you, someone else has told them differently. I understand this is a venting thread and I'm not trying to get down on you, but I'm just saying it really shouldn't be all that baffling.

I don't really think it has anything to do with it being hard, people just like to play what they play, it's not all that shocking. I would also like to add that people give mixed signals about making characters of the opposite gender so while you say it's easy and all it requires is good personality and motivation I guarantee you, someone else has told them differently. I understand this is a venting thread and I'm not trying to get down on you, but I'm just saying it really shouldn't be all that baffling.
You’re right. I think my reaction comes from the fact that at this point in my life, I am more associated with the writing community than the rp community. And the two do overlap in some beautiful ways. But it is worth noting that while “I’m a man so I won’t write a woman” is still common in the writing community, that sort of sentiment is regarded with a lot more... scrutiny.

You’re right. I think my reaction comes from the fact that at this point in my life, I am more associated with the writing community than the rp community. And the two do overlap in some beautiful ways. But it is worth noting that while “I’m a man so I won’t write a woman” is still common in the writing community, that sort of sentiment is regarded with a lot more... scrutiny.

In some ways it's similar to someone saying "I'm a gay male so only do MxM pairings" or "I'm a straight woman so only do MxF pairings". I think if a person knows how to write attraction to those they themselves are attracted to then, well, they know how to write attraction period. The hormonal responses and body language are much the same between genders regarding these things.

I guess sticking to writing your own sexual attractions and fantasies is okay, though, if you're specifically writing erotica. In any other case I see no differences between writing different romantic pairings. I just personally don't do it often myself since I'm usually RPing in settings where being openly gay is taboo.

This is so incredibly petty but it’s been a peeve of mine for ten years so it’s too deeply entrenched for me to do anything about it now.

People who spell ‘canon characters’ as ‘cannon characters’ and people who spell ‘rogue’ as ‘rouge.’

I know it’s just a knowledge thing and not a big deal but I can’t take anything else written very seriously after that. A cannon shoots out cannonballs, it has nothing to do with the “genuine, accepted, characters of the chosen universe” which is what canon is.

And don’t get me started on rouge. If I have to envision one more wolf with red lips and red blush applied to their cheeks, I’m going to cry.

I really don’t have anything against people who do this though. I know some spelling mistakes get entrenched in our brains but for whatever reason I find these two incredibly distressing to the point where I can’t take anything else written seriously lol. It legitimately gets a visceral reaction out of me though idk why.
I usually don't mind simple spelling mistakes, but something that bothers me is when people don't know the difference between the there, they're and their, to and too as well as your and you're...

You’re right. I think my reaction comes from the fact that at this point in my life, I am more associated with the writing community than the RP community. And the two do overlap in some beautiful ways. But it is worth noting that while “I’m a man so I won’t write a woman” is still common in the writing community, that sort of sentiment is regarded with a lot more... scrutiny.
Well I think the important thing to remember is while the two do tend to overlap RP by most is treated more like a game than a story and when not comes to games I know if I have the choice I'm making a female.

Oh boy.. do I have some beef with characters that only seek to oppress the other members of the party. 😡 Countless times have I come across people making presumptions about another's personality, loyalty, intentions, capabilities, sensibilities etc.. right off the beginning of the RP, in the opening posts and it just kills things. Why not give the party leader the chance to show their talents before conjuring some unfounded presumptions that they're going to get everyone killed? Why not give the healer the chance to look at injuries than shrugging them off as some uneducated phoney? Why not look to your party members for help in difficult situations instead of assuming they'll be more of a hindrance than aid?

Another thing that annoys me beyond most things is when everyone joins the blame train for a certain situation that happens. So for context, I enjoy writing failure, taking hits, injuries, failing to open a locked door to give another character the opportunity to try things 'their way', missing a target, slipping and falling in difficult terrain, fumbling with items under stress. All these things I consider being more realistic at times, someone with zero experience with firearms is unlikely going to know how quickly to deal with a malfunction, standing there and inspecting it as though it were a some mysterious object that has magically ceased to function.

Whilst I enjoy 'messing up', I don't enjoy the overwhelming amount of negative side-comments that come from other characters. Instead of coming over to help, people look over and note how useless someone is or blatantly deciding that they're the weakest of the lot. I once had my medieval character take a significant wound during a castle siege, a wound that nearly killed him outright and he tumbled to the ground moments later in heap of his own blood. Once the battle was won and the wounded were catered to, I felt rather disgruntled at the sheer amount of characters thinking he was weak, inexperienced and overall lacking qualities that put him on par with the others. ~ Simply because he took a hit where some characters would go the entire fight without so much as a scratch. 🤔

So for context, I enjoy writing failure, taking hits, injuries, failing to open a locked door to give another character the opportunity to try things 'their way', missing a target, slipping and falling in difficult terrain, fumbling with items under stress. All these things I consider being more realistic at times, someone with zero experience with firearms is unlikely going to know how quickly to deal with a malfunction, standing there and inspecting it as though it were a some mysterious object that has magically ceased to function.

This is absolutely the right way to RP. If your partners don't appreciate that, drop 'em. It's not like roleplaying yourself through a battle without taking any hits is any kind of achievement ... if you think it is then maybe you need to think about why you think that. smh

(I feel like I'm the "Dump the Whole Man" person who replies to every single relationships.txt post on Twitter XD )

So I would never say this out loud but when people use actors or canon characters for their face claims it totally destroys my suspension of disbelief. It’s just like “Oh Barry Allen is now a space pirate that’s weird” or “What is Chris Evans doing at magic school?”

It’s not as bad with models unless their overly stylized and you can tell it’s a photo shoot. It makes them seem less realistic.

As to the attraction thing I personally find it weird when people call the person their character is paired with their (rper) crush/love interest.

Ex. I’m looking for someone to play my crush (Character X) and I will play your crush too.

It just seems like they are inserting themself into the roleplay and assume I’m going to do the same.

I often feel like I want to give "helpful" "advice" to GMs, but that it would be rude.

Things like: Don't establish a clique before putting out your interest check and Maybe tell people what criteria you're using to choose characters to accept and sticking to it instead of saying something is "optional" then saying actually you're gonna base your character choice solely on that thing... etc.

Also sometimes I really have to hold it in with historical nerdery. "Ackshualllyyyyyy!"

Coco out here making all these hecka relevant topics making me wanna post stuff I shouldn’t post 😅

It's just a shame we're nerds for different parts of history or we could probably have a fun RP together. XD

I actually don't remember. Which parts of history are you into?

So I can imagine I'm not the only here that detests that old fantasy trope of Dwarves disliking and being overall hostile to other races (especially the pointy-eared kind). There's always that one Dwarf character who's only defining traits is being grumpy, distrustful and extremely predictable (usually entirely hostile) when it comes to interacting with other members of the party. On the flip side, I am also sick and tired of Elvish characters typically being tree-loving, all-high-and-mighty, elitist and borderline unbearable to cope with for any length of time.

Now this is just my observation and opinion so i'm not claiming this is everyone - alot of folk look to the hostilities between the Dwarves and Elves in the Lord of the Rings books/films and so it's become such a main-stream trope that it has branched out to almost every-other fantasy RP that I had taken part in. Whilst I completely understand that having some back-lore linking two species together shouldn't always be happy memories and rainbows, I feel that focusing on a singular event or difference of opinion that brings two species at odds with one another can be just as frustrating for the rest of the party.

Yes, people make decisions that upset others.. But that shouldn't mean an entire kingdom despises another for XYZ reasons.. Every single character is unique in their personality and views of the world, would it be so hard as to come across a Dwarf that does not mind the company of a Elf? - Or a Elf that finds conversations with a Dwarf to be as 'everyday' as speaking to a Human or another Elf? No sudden jumping to conclusions as to the other's intentions or pulling a reason to distrust the other without any justification other than a bit of history.. Would it be that difficult to not have these tropes in almost every fantasy RP?

I hate when anyone stereotypes another persons ideas or tries to drop them into some concept of a fandom. I've had the dwarf/elf issue myself. Had someone get annoyed an elf character I had could sword fight as well as another non elf character I had. Because he should use a bow. BTW he could use a bow, he did when hunting. But that should be his primary weapon apparently. And while playing another elf character in an RP where the people had dwarves the person made a few passive aggressive snide comments because when the dwarf tried to start s***my character didn't take the bait and kinda just ignored them. The closest he came to arguing was countering his anger with questions.

I've also had issues with people trying to argue science on animal sterotypes on animal characters. Even if they are of human intelligence. Like territorial murder or going out of control and attacking and eating other intelligent creatures.

In a sci fi RP someone kept talking about a genetically altered and cybernetic ally enhanced character I had needing realistic issues like cancer and interference in his cybernetics. Quoting some web comic I never even heard of as scientific source.

This is gonna sound a bit weird, but the fact that almost every rp, regardless of if they're set in 1800's England or the fucking far side of the moon, always have at least one Japanese character is starting to get on my nerves.

I hate when anyone stereotypes another persons ideas or tries to drop them into some concept of a fandom. I've had the dwarf/elf issue myself. Had someone get annoyed an elf character I had could sword fight as well as another non elf character I had. Because he should use a bow. BTW he could use a bow, he did when hunting. But that should be his primary weapon apparently. And while playing another elf character in an RP where the people had dwarves the person made a few passive aggressive snide comments because when the dwarf tried to start s***my character didn't take the bait and kinda just ignored them. The closest he came to arguing was countering his anger with questions.
That's because elves and dwarves getting too close to one another is what causes humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back