Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Coco Adel

The Abandoned Maiden
This seems like a really silly peeve to have but I've been on this site for a long time and it irritates the hell out of me that the fantasy and modern and realistic tags have switched colors. I know this is a nothing burger, but at th same time why? Why did they need to switch colors? 😆

Abyss

It's lonely in the deep
This seems like a really silly peeve to have but I've been on this site for a long time and it irritates the hell out of me that the fantasy and modern and realistic tags have switched colors. I know this is a nothing burger, but at th same time why? Why did they need to switch colors? 😆

For me, I miss having your latest status update included in the little pop-up from when you hover your curser over a user's profile. They were fun and I feel like they were more relevant when they were included.

Onmyoji

HanGuang-Jun
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
It was brought to our attention that users with color blindness were having difficulty distinguishing between some prefixes.
So we switched those two colors to make them more distinct.

Coco Adel

The Abandoned Maiden
It was brought to our attention that users with color blindness were having difficulty distinguishing between some prefixes.
So we switched those two colors to make them more distinct.
Okay that sounds like a good reason...however, it still makes no sense to me because the colors were not changed they were just switched, they're the same colors it's just realistic and modern is purple now instead of fantasy and fantasy is green now instead of realistic and modern. Now I will fully admit I probably don't understand because I'm not colorblind but wouldn't using the exact same colors on different labels still have the same problem or am I wrong?

Onmyoji

HanGuang-Jun
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Okay that sounds like a good reason...however, it still makes nmo sense to me because the colors were no changed they were just switched, they're the same colors it's just realistic and modern is purple now instead of fantasy and fantasy is green now instead of realistic and modern. Now I will fully admit I probably don't understand because I'm not colorblind but wouldn't using the exact same colors on different labels still have the same problem or am I wrong

Those two prefixes have different length of words.
The problem was that Fandom (pink) and Fantasy (purple) were both short words and both start with F. It was hard to distinguish between purple and pink.
So we switched purple from Fantasy to Realistic and modern because the length of words is very different and green is easier to distinguish from pink.

Coco Adel

The Abandoned Maiden
Those two prefixes have different lengths of words.
The problem was that Fandom (pink) and Fantasy (purple) were both short words and both start with F. It was hard to distinguish between purple and pink.
So we switched purple from Fantasy to Realistic and modern because the length of words is very different and green is easier to distinguish from pink.
Oh okay that makes perfect sense now, maybe it'll stop bugging me so much now that I know 😆

Murdergurl

will turn your insides into your outsides
Why is it that Group servers on Discord rarely (if ever) proffer up group RPs? Everyone inevitably winds up posting up RP reqs and then going off on 1x1s.

I am just getting SO frustrated with RP overall.

Inno

Forever sleepy.
I don't mind doing the opener for roleplays. If it's a plot of my creation that a partner and I have brainstormed on, fine, not a problem. It really does make sense. Now my issue is with some others who have these big plots and huge worlds, lore, etc and I'm coming in with my characters yet they expect me to write the opener. There's not even any type of compromise. No "I'll write the starter since things are happening that I want to happen first."

I get red flags when some people don't even want to do an opener when the idea is theirs to begin with.

People who seem to use pretty much all the filters when posting an advert.

The amount that have say 'realistic', and 'zombie' for example.
Oh so zombies are realistic now?!

It makes it hard to find roleplays I like as I'm generally into modern realistic slice of life type. 'm not into fantasy so want to filter it out but loads of people seem to have both fantasy and realistic tags which means I'm scrolling through pages and pages of fantasy roleplays to actually find a realistic roleplay

It makes it hard to find roleplays I like as I'm generally into modern realistic slice of life type. 'm not into fantasy so want to filter it out but loads of people seem to have both fantasy and realistic tags which means I'm scrolling through pages and pages of fantasy roleplays to actually find a realistic roleplay
Well realistic is a bit subjective on with website, modern and realistic doesn't always mean it's 100% based in reality, it just means that it's more based in reality than say high fantasy, such as having realistic survival rules or if you get injured the healing process is more realistic than just "I'll use magic and heal myself instantly "

Onmyoji

HanGuang-Jun
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Yes, pretty much what Fae said.
Realistic is more in terms of having realistic setting and rules of the world as opposed to 'pew pew magic'.
Zombie setting is not realistic by itself but if the plot happens during "modern era" and people have to rely on realistic equipment to survive and not on magic or lightsabers then it can have "realistic/modern" prefix.

nerdy tangents

icon from picrew
Lol or to make it simpler :

Harry Potter = realistic setting
Lord of the Rings = fantasy setting
Marvel Comics = realistic setting
Game of Thrones = fantasy setting

(( there are probably other types of fantasy I just can’t think of main stream examples)

** these are also obviously fandoms but if you want to figure out if an original world is fantasy vs. realistic **

Onmyoji

HanGuang-Jun
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Harry Potter could still be considered Fantasy tbh given how important magic is in that world. I'd say it's a borderline case between realistic and fantasy lol

nerdy tangents

icon from picrew
Harry Potter could still be considered Fantasy tbh given how important magic is in that world. I'd say it's a borderline case between realistic and fantasy lol

It’s realistic because it takes place in a real world using real world politics and history. It’s all through allegory but it wouldn’t make a lick of sense if you put Hogwarts in say Middle Earth or whatever.

It is grounded too much in the real world setting even if there is magic.

Uxie

ଘ(੭ˊ꒳ˋ)੭* ੈ‧₊❀˖°
It’s realistic because it takes place in a real world using real world politics and history. It’s all through allegory but it wouldn’t make a lick of sense if you put Hogwarts in say Middle Earth or whatever.

It is grounded too much in the real world setting even if there is magic.

apologies if i am getting this wrong, but isn't harry potter consisted low fantasy, while stuff like lotr is within the realm of high fantasy instead??

is there some aspect of harry potter (beyond it being set in the real world) that takes it out of low fantasy as a category? or do you not consider low fantasy to be fantasy :"") i don't discuss these genres often, so i'm asking out of pure curiosity! (*'ω'*)

seven.

𝘄𝗮𝗶𝘁 𝗮 𝗺𝗶𝗻𝘂𝘁𝗲!
apologies if i am getting this wrong, but isn't harry potter consisted low fantasy, while stuff like lotr is within the realm of high fantasy instead??

is there some aspect of harry potter (beyond it being set in the real world) that takes it out of low fantasy as a category? or do you not consider low fantasy to be fantasy :"") i don't discuss these genres often, so i'm asking out of pure curiosity! (*'ω'*)

you weren’t asking me, but you’re right. harry potter is generally considered low fantasy since it’s set in the real world, even though the wizarding world also exists, which could be considered a high fantasy setting. like a high fantasy setting within a low fantasy world? i guess it’s… somewhere on the line between the two, like alice in wonderland or the chronicles of narnia.

Murdergurl

In my opinion, Zombies fall more into science fiction if they are written as coming from some kind of bloodborne disease or something. Now, if the zombies are the result of magic (like necromancy), then its fantasy. If it's pseudo-science for the explanation, it's sci-fi.

LotR is basically the definition of High Fantasy. Tolkien pretty much set the standard. People don't realize how many of their fantasy tropes and archetypes are based on those books.

Harry Potter is... well, I'm no Harry Potter expert (I'm not even a fan). But it seems to me that Harry Potter is modern, low fantasy. But anything with magic and wizards and fantastical creatures that defy physics should not be considered "realistic". They definitely have the "pew pew" magic that Onmyoji Onmyoji mentioned.

Low Fantasy just means magical BS in the "real world", with the magic being uncommon. Whereas High Fantasy is set in its own fantasy setting (ex. Middle Earth). But as far as the inclusion of the [REALISTIC] tag... I've honestly never really understood exactly what that label was meant to construe

seven.

𝘄𝗮𝗶𝘁 𝗮 𝗺𝗶𝗻𝘂𝘁𝗲!
Isn't Harry Potter more historical fiction or historical fantasy or would it be considered modern fantasy?
i don’t think so? it’s set in like 1991 to 1998 which is pretty modern.
I think Harry Potter is supposed to be set closer to the modern day so... Urban Fantasy I think is the word for it.
definitely not. with a few brief exceptions, harry potter doesn’t take place in an urban setting, so it’s not urban fantasy. you’re looking for contemporary fantasy.

Melpomene

Writer of Tragedy|Art by ROYTHEART|
Supporter
definitely not. with a few brief exceptions, harry potter doesn’t take place in an urban setting, so it’s not urban fantasy. you’re looking for contemporary fantasy.
Oh thanks. Everyone I ever talked to just called all modern fantasy urban fantasy so I assumed that was just the agreed on genre name. I don't read or consume any type of modern fantasy so I never really never got to know the way the genres were broken down lol.

Murdergurl

Isn't Harry Potter more historical fiction or historical fantasy or would it be considered modern fantasy?
speaking of Historical... when exactly was the setting supposed to be? Like, I never so much as saw a cell phone or a kid using the internet. Typically when a setting is claimant to being "historical", they strive to accurately portray the times. Like, Stranger Things for instance, everything is an 80's throwback.

i don’t think so? it’s set in like 1991 to 1998 which is pretty modern.
When does it exemplify that? Like I said, I'm not a big fan or anything. So forgive me if I missed something blaringly obvious. I just always felt that the setting was super ambiguous.

seven.

𝘄𝗮𝗶𝘁 𝗮 𝗺𝗶𝗻𝘂𝘁𝗲!
speaking of Historical... when exactly was the setting supposed to be? Like, I never so much as saw a cell phone or a kid using the internet. Typically when a setting is claimant to being "historical", they strive to accurately portray the times. Like, Stranger Things for instance, everything is an 80's throwback.
in harry potter, cell phones, computers, internet and other modern technological advancements exist but aren’t used because:
1. magic interferes with it
2. in the wizard’s society, most muggle things aren’t commonly used as a way to clearly differentiate muggle society and wizard society

as for how i know it’s set in the 90s: harry’s born in 1980, kids attend hogwarts at age 11, so he starts in 1991. then there’s 7 years, so ends in 1998 — the epilogue is somewhere in the 2000s though.

nerdy tangents

icon from picrew
I think Harry Potter is supposed to be set closer to the modern day so... Urban Fantasy I think is the word for it.

Nailed it, but Urban fantasy is considered realistic by the site.

Actually I think a better example might be comic books.

Realistic setting (on the site) is just “set on earth, not in futuristic setting, may or may not have magic.”

So superheroes are almost always realistic. Does that mean it’s possible to have laser vision IrL? No. It means they are usually set on a version of earth that isn’t in the future.

Fantasy (on the site) just means “set in a made up location, not futuristic setting, may or may not have magic.”

So if I wrote a story about pink cats living on an island that’s fantasy. The cats do not have to have magical powers. There does not need to be magical elements on the island. It just had to be a setting I made up from scratch that is not linked to IRL earth.

Last edited:

seven.

𝘄𝗮𝗶𝘁 𝗮 𝗺𝗶𝗻𝘂𝘁𝗲!
Fantasy just means “set in a made up location, not futuristic setting, may or may not have magic.”
that’s very much Not what fantasy is 💀 [high] fantasy stories usually are in made up places but fantasy as a genre isn’t dependent on location.

magic and supernatural (or otherwise fantastical) elements are core characteristics in fantasy. high fantasy might be able to be defined as just “a piece of media with no linkage to the real world” but that ignores the distinction between various other types of fantasy— high, low, urban, contemporary, et cetera. what they all have in common is supernatural elements, not setting. like, for example: the movie your name takes place in the fictional town of itomori. does that make it inherently fantasy? no! what makes it fantasy is the body switching, the supernatural nature of the musubi concept, intertwined souls, stuff like that. without these aspects, it’d just be like a coming of age film in a made up town, not a fantasy.

twilight takes place in the real town of forks, washington, the main distinction between their world and ours is the existence of vampires and shapeshifters. but since it’s in a real place, does that mean it’s not fantasy… ? no. if you wrote a story about pink cats living on an island, it would probably be loosely considered fantasy more so for the aspect of the cats being pink, which would be unusual, something that isn’t naturally possible in our world. i guess that’d be called mundane fantasy though. if you wrote a story about normal-looking cats living on an island, that’s just… a story about cats on an island.

Users who are viewing this thread