Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
What truly makes me angry today (and sad, and miserable, and about every other negative emotion) is that I wish I had roleplays that I could love and that would check all the boxes (or just most of the boxes), and that once one ends unexpectedly, the next would be just as good instead of worse. In reality, thought, my first RPs here were, after many years, still the most amazing ones, and any time I pick up a new one, it is worse than the previous one, or dies fast. I don't know if it's me or if it's how the world turns in general, but I have given up trying in the last few months after this trend has been going on for like four years, I'm not even looking anymore, I'm just hanging on the thread of my last surviving RP.

What truly makes me angry today (and sad, and miserable, and about every other negative emotion) is that I wish I had roleplays that I could love and that would check all the boxes (or just most of the boxes), and that once one ends unexpectedly, the next would be just as good instead of worse. In reality, thought, my first RPs here were, after many years, still the most amazing ones, and any time I pick up a new one, it is worse than the previous one, or dies fast. I don't know if it's me or if it's how the world turns in general, but I have given up trying in the last few months after this trend has been going on for like four years, I'm not even looking anymore, I'm just hanging on the thread of my last surviving RP.

Damn that's rough. I feel you though. I haven't actively looked in months myself. The one good partner I have has been sick for months. We still talk sometimes but haven't actually roleplayed since we first spoke. I've looked for others but they usually die out quicker then they started. I even had one outright be rude about an idea I had and that's what did it for me. Told them to screw off. Tried telling me to calm down but you know how karma is.

I actually had this happen recently on a different rp platform & it made me so angry. I had told my partner I needed to take a step back, for a little while and would let them know when i can reply again. All because life was busy and I wasn’t in a good place mentally. They literally messaged me multiple times a day every day for a solid week and half asking if I was ready to get going or not before saying they couldn’t rp with someone so “unreliable”. Like, I was up front and told him what was going on and said it was okay if he didn’t want to be involved in the rp anymore. I can stand getting pestered like that or in general.

People that agree to your rules and interests, then try to break away from them either right before the RP starts or once it's underway.
I'm not super desperate. I take quality over quantity. Not about to suddenly throw in a fetish or a plot I hate at the last minute to keep the RP.

The one that really peeves me off is that I don't do romance. And it really stinks to be into an RP and suddenly "Hey, I know you don't like to RP romance. But you know what? I think my character and your character have real chemistry."

And to be honest. I never see the romantic chemistry they seem to think is happening. And even when you tell them no and they agree with sad emoji faces it tends to make them have their character get all weird and kill the RP.

RPs that ask your character to have powers, but will never give the situation to use them, mainly because they are slice of life, what brings up the question, Game Master, why the sheet model request powers them?

I cant even stress that enough! If I find a Gm doing that, I'll just start using my powers for the most bullshit of things. Take for example the last group i had. My character was a fire mage that never was put in a situation to use his magic. Ever! So i made him start using it for the weirdest things. Bath water getting cold? Use magic. Cooking bbq? Use magic? A little bit cold? You guessed it, magic! Gm got so fed up he kicked me out lol

I cant even stress that enough! If I find a Gm doing that, I'll just start using my powers for the most bullshit of things. Take for example the last group i had. My character was a fire mage that never was put in a situation to use his magic. Ever! So i made him start using it for the weirdest things. Bath water getting cold? Use magic. Cooking bbq? Use magic? A little bit cold? You guessed it, magic! Gm got so fed up he kicked me out lol

Fire mages aren't suppose to use fire to heat water, like cooking fires, and stay warm? LMAO Your game master would dislike me. I have fire mages do this normally.

People who insist on faceclaims but then don't like the faceclaim you choose xD
I haven't had it happen here yet (thankfully), but there have definitely been situations in the past where I pick a faceclaim and someone goes "Oh, I think he'd look more like this >insert links to various FC images<"

I'm sorry, is this my character? Or yours? I'm perfectly happy just writing a description and letting our imaginations suitably fill in the blanks, and if someone has a specific vision for what MY character looks like then this is the route to go.

The sheer audacity to try and tell someone else what their character looks like just boggles my mind. There have been situations where the way I picture a partner's character doesn't match up with the art they commission of them/FC they choose, but it's their character and vision so it doesn't ultimately matter. I guess it just ends up coming back around to people who roleplay for self-gratification more than anything else and only care about fulfilling their own vision of the story. Such people should just go write their own book if they're not interested in true collaboration imo.

I know I mentioned it here or somewhere but whatever. After talking to a friend about her experience with it I can't stand when you specifically outline in your request thread Do Not Control ANY of my characters and still it doesn't hit home for people NOT to control your characters. They do it anyway. That's part of the reason I'm on a hiatus from roleplay. I really despise it with a passion to the point where I'll stop replying instantly and all inspiration will just drop off the face of the world.

I know I mentioned it here or somewhere but whatever. After talking to a friend about her experience with it I can't stand when you specifically outline in your request thread Do Not Control ANY of my characters and still it doesn't hit home for people NOT to control your characters. They do it anyway. That's part of the reason I'm on a hiatus from roleplay. I really despise it with a passion to the point where I'll stop replying instantly and all inspiration will just drop off the face of the world.

That is an offense that will make me give one warning, refuse to reply until they change the reply so as to not control my character in it. Then if they do it again I do the unforgivable 'ghosting'. I have no tolerance for controlling my character in any way shape or form.

I'm the complete opposite of this. I love it when my characters have powers but the story is so good that I don't need to ever use them. For me powers are a bit of "flavour" and if you're using powers to prop up an RP then it's probably not very good. In an FMA rp my character only used his alchemy like 3 times in about two years of RP. XD

Overly flirtatious characters bugs the everliving shit out of me. They're always either painfully unfunny, kind-of creepy or a combination of the two. A̶l̶s̶o̶, ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶u̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶a̶r̶d̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶a̶r̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶y̶p̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶n̶o̶y̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶e̶.

To be honest, it isn't exactly something that makes me "angry", but moreso a minor annoyance.

People who ask for 21+. I can understand 18+, but as someone who is currently only 20 (roughly just under half a year until 21), finding checks that ask for 21+ is a sight that grows tiresome. I'm an adult who is old enough for some RPs, but apparently not old enough for others. It's a RP, people; you're not selling beer.

To be honest, it isn't exactly something that makes me "angry", but moreso a minor annoyance.

People who ask for 21+. I can understand 18+, but as someone who is currently only 20 (roughly just under half a year until 21), finding checks that ask for 21+ is a sight that grows tiresome. I'm an adult who is old enough for some RPs, but apparently not old enough for others. It's a RP, people; you're not selling beer.

I think your looking at folks in their late thirties or early forties just wanting partners near their own age.

I mean I would probably age it up to 24+ or something just because I would assume that would be the post college age. And that would be more because college partners don’t have compatible schedules with me.

I think if it’s under 18 the issue is content. Over 20 the issue is schedules and similar interests.

I think your looking at folks in their late thirties or early forties just wanting partners near their own age.

I mean I would probably age it up to 24+ or something just because I would assume that would be the post college age. And that would be more because college partners don’t have compatible schedules with me.

I think if it’s under 18 the issue is content. Over 20 the issue is schedules and similar interests.

If that is truly the issue, then, as you said, their requirement should be aged up or at least stated that they're looking for partners more around their age. Maybe I'm just being vocal because I've been stuck in this "you're old enough for some but not for all" requirement when it comes to RPs for the last three years even though I'm an adult, but I simply can't get behind the concept of it.

If that is truly the issue, then, as you said, their requirement should be aged up or at least stated that they're looking for partners more around their age. Maybe I'm just being vocal because I've been stuck in this "you're old enough for some but not for all" requirement when it comes to RPs for the last three years even though I'm an adult, but I simply can't get behind the concept of it.

I mean I would just ask if you can join. Most folks aren’t that pressed about a year difference if the issue isn’t content related. Or just don’t tell them your age unless they ask.

If those people don't want you to join their RP, then you're probably not compatible with them anyway and shouldn't worry about it.

Age preferences are personal preferences, not designed to slight you or make you feel belittled in some way.

Small, specific tangent, but it kind of annoyed me.

I was on a different platform browsing for roleplays, and I found someone who had a thread something like "Are you tired of incompetent writers? Come to me to write! I'm looking for people who want to create a universe with me, with multiple characters each, extremely developed storylines to go with each character, let me know if you're interested!" something like that.

Also a sidenote that's relevant: In their thread, they posted something along the lines of "I'm comfortable with NSFW themes in writing, so let me know if that's something you're interested in!", which implies that they are willing to do it, but it isn't a requirement.

So I messaged them to start something up, and very quickly into the conversation they asked me if I was okay with NSFW themes in rp. I told them I've done it before, but generally I'm not comfortable with doing it and am not looking to do that. They then said "Oh, we're not compatible then because it's a must for me in roleplays."

And I just??????????

Honestly like... I can say that adding in NSFW elements into a roleplay can be relevant to developing the characters and such, but it's generally a minor thing in an rp. In the case of someone who was claiming they wanted a super developed plot with tons of characters, NSFW shouldn't have been a dealbreaker for something like that, as there's still 95% more things relevant to the writing that creates the developed plot.

Like whatever, if people want to do that kind of thing in their RP and that's all they're looking for, then more power to them, have at it. But it was SUPER annoying wasting all my time talking to this person for them to just say that it was a dealbreaker.

Small, specific tangent, but it kind of annoyed me.

I was on a different platform browsing for roleplays, and I found someone who had a thread something like "Are you tired of incompetent writers? Come to me to write! I'm looking for people who want to create a universe with me, with multiple characters each, extremely developed storylines to go with each character, let me know if you're interested!" something like that.

Also a sidenote that's relevant: In their thread, they posted something along the lines of "I'm comfortable with NSFW themes in writing, so let me know if that's something you're interested in!", which implies that they are willing to do it, but it isn't a requirement.

So I messaged them to start something up, and very quickly into the conversation they asked me if I was okay with NSFW themes in rp. I told them I've done it before, but generally I'm not comfortable with doing it and am not looking to do that. They then said "Oh, we're not compatible then because it's a must for me in roleplays."

And I just??????????

Honestly like... I can say that adding in NSFW elements into a roleplay can be relevant to developing the characters and such, but it's generally a minor thing in an rp. In the case of someone who was claiming they wanted a super developed plot with tons of characters, NSFW shouldn't have been a dealbreaker for something like that, as there's still 95% more things relevant to the writing that creates the developed plot.

Like whatever, if people want to do that kind of thing in their RP and that's all they're looking for, then more power to them, have at it. But it was SUPER annoying wasting all my time talking to this person for them to just say that it was a dealbreaker.
I get people like that here. They don't even post it in the interest check, probably because it'd get flagged. But somehow, on three separate occasions, I offered to do a 1x1 with someone, they asked me if I'm okay with NSFW, and then they blocked me/unfriended me/left the PM when I said no.

I get people like that here. They don't even post it in the interest check, probably because it'd get flagged. But somehow, on three separate occasions, I offered to do a 1x1 with someone, they asked me if I'm okay with NSFW, and then they blocked me/unfriended me/left the PM when I said no.

You can report them. It’s anonymous so they won’t know it was you. What you do is click the report button at the bottom of the post where they asked for NSFW. Then the Staff will take it from there. When they dole out warnings it’s just - This is a warning because you have broken the rule about NSFW. - so the person won’t know what their being reported on or who reported them

027AF6CD-D1D7-4EFE-870C-4FD0C3EF479F.jpeg

You can report them. It’s anonymous so they won’t know it was you. What you do is click the report button at the bottom of the post where they asked for NSFW. Then the Staff will take it from there. When they dole out warnings it’s just - This is a warning because you have broken the rule about NSFW. - so the person won’t know what their being reported on or who reported them

I know how to report people. I couldn't do it to the first two because they were offsite and I had no evidence, but I did report the third and they're still around.

I know how to report people. I couldn't do it to the first two because they were offsite and I had no evidence, but I did report the third and they're still around.

They don't ban people after one warning. I would have been banned myself if that was the case and all because someone got offended by an opinion I had. They do however keep track of a persons warnings and after so many warnings the person is removed from the site. So if the person is a repeat offender than they will most definitely be kicked off the site.

If however a warning is sufficient to curb the behavior than that's all that needed. I find that it's best not to make assumptions about what is going on unless the person is continually harassing you. Which in itself is something you can get the Staff involved in and most likely will get them moved through the warning system at an accelerated pace.

As to the offsite situation I would still contact the Staff. As I think they include offsite requests for NSFW material within the confines of the erotic content ban. But that would be something to ask someone about specifically. You can do an anonymous thread in the https://www.rpnation.com/staffcontact/. Only you and the staff can see the threads here and they are willing to ask specific question about the rules. I asked them a bit ago about world building offsite and had them respond to me directly.

They don't ban people after one warning. I would have been banned myself if that was the case and all because someone got offended by an opinion I had. They do however keep track of a persons warnings and after so many warnings the person is removed from the site. So if the person is a repeat offender than they will most definitely be kicked off the site.

If however a warning is sufficient to curb the behavior than that's all that needed. I find that it's best not to make assumptions about what is going on unless the person is continually harassing you. Which in itself is something you can get the Staff involved in and most likely will get them moved through the warning system at an accelerated pace.

As to the offsite situation I would still contact the Staff. As I think they include offsite requests for NSFW material within the confines of the erotic content ban. But that would be something to ask someone about specifically. You can do an anonymous thread in the https://www.rpnation.com/staffcontact/. Only you and the staff can see the threads here and they are willing to ask specific question about the rules. I asked them a bit ago about world building offsite and had them respond to me directly.
It may also be the case that this falls into a bit of a grey area. While there was certainly the implication, from what I read there never was a direct request for NSFW material. It may not make much sense, but sometimes rules have loopholes, and one's enforcing rules have to stick by their own rules.

It may also be the case that this falls into a bit of a grey area. While there was certainly the implication, from what I read there never was a direct request for NSFW material. It may not make much sense, but sometimes rules have loopholes, and one's enforcing rules have to stick by their own rules.

But it's not for us to decide. It's for the Staff. Which is why I recommended starting a thread. As that way the Staff can give you a definitive answer of what is and is not covered in the rules. Which is a whole lot better for everyone involved than just making educated guesses based on what you THINK something means.

But it's not for us to decide. It's for the Staff. Which is why I recommended starting a thread. As that way the Staff can give you a definitive answer of what is and is not covered in the rules. Which is a whole lot better for everyone involved than just making educated guesses based on what you THINK something means.
Was just offering a possibility, much the way you did. If I disagreed with your solution, I'd have stated as much.

The first two were several months ago, and the people who did it aren't around anymore, but I'll keep this in mind if/when it happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back