Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty much an instant mood killer. How they deal with their disabilities is part of a character.
One of my favourite characters I've ever written was a deaf woman. She existed within the HP universe and was deaf from birth. Because of it she was naturally good at non-verbal spellcasting and had an edge in duels. Eventually her plot fell apart, though, so I had to drop :(

Let’s just say throw in the dragon balls in the irl world mix it with five moron human friends and a stupid wish. You have all the villains revived. Don’t forget your crush though the Z fighters are married with the exception of Tien and Yamcha.

Let’s just say throw in the dragon balls in the irl world mix it with five moron human friends and a stupid wish. You have all the villains revived. Don’t forget your crush though the Z fighters are married with the exception of Tien and Yamcha.
What is this mess? This looks way too complex for a 1x1, too impractical for a group RP.

What is this mess? This looks way too complex for a 1x1, too impractical for a group RP.
It was for a group rp and it was a mess it’s not coincidental this rp died or didn’t live. No joke in the profile skeleton there’s ‘crush’ section. I.. wanted to know why it’s there when half of the Z fighters are married. Launch had a thing for Tien but I recalled it never went anywhere

Then there’s Yamcha who is a serial cheater. What woman in their right mind would even want him given he was never faithful to begin with to Bulma? Last I would think is crushing on the dbz fighters or the villains for that matters.

The baddies were there down to Frieza, no joke. I’m not sure which point of the anime I’m assuming namek? His subordinates are alive. Yes even the androids and Broly. Tho oddly Kirillin wasn’t on the list.

i genuinely can't stand overly soft characters.
like okay i look like a hyprocrite saying that with an overly pink profile picture. but yea a lil bit of soft vibes here and there is cute, adorable even. but i hate it when they just make them super fucking twinkish & useless. and often their desciption is purely like a unicorn vomiting rainbow "4' tall and submissive" LIKE WHY. and all they do is sit, cry, and wait for someone to come rescue them. i'm not saying that you can't write the gentle, feminine and sweet boys although i find it weird and frankly irritating when the writer bases his entire personality off some submissive cutesy boy steorotypes.

matcha girl matcha girl it’s called being a damsel and it is one of those original fiction tropes that does not translate to roleplays. Very similar to playing a true introvert (not the stereotypical “I’m shy but you can change me” bullshit, someone who genuinely prefers to be alone and do their own thing).

Both character types are fine in an original project because there is one narrator who gets to move the story forward. So you don’t need characters that can collaborate with others.

Unfortunately in a roleplay you can’t play those characters because they do not collaborate well. The whole point of those character types is they are removed from the main storyline. But if the point is you and a partner writing a story together that doesn’t work.

I find it’s usually a mark of someone who doesn’t understand the mechanics of roleplaying and just wants a ghost writer/beta reader for their passion project. I usually wish them luck (maybe recommend AO3, if I’m feeling generous) and move one with my life.

Specifically stating, in my interest check, on the front page, one of the first things you can ever learn about me via the interest check that I am a minor.

Then have people saying "oh I like x plot, can I PM you?" and i'll say, "sure! go ahead!" excited to have someone else to rp with cause I have one consistent partner (you know who you are and thank you (: )

And then have them get annoyed at me when I say "oh, just to let you know, I am a minor." like "you should've put that somewhere!" or "i don't rp with minors."

Like, read the interest check!! please! stop getting my tiny hopes up!!

That is the first thing I say, to anyone I rp with, even if they say that they're okay with under 18's, because I've gone in to PM someone and then they say I don't rp with minors?? like dude, you said you would??

Random relatives of a canon character my problem is that most of the time it doesn’t make sense to me. My other pet peeve is the other million ocs of a race though canonly only this girl should be the last of her kind.

People up and abandoning the OOC once the rp starts so you can't even plot with them

This is a self-burn/ a pet peeve someone might that I unintentionally do. It's mainly saying one thing, but clearly it's not the case. Like, I thought I had this badass character, but in actuality is very stupid and gets himself in danger more often times than not or having a characters that is meant to be elegant, but is actually super whiny.

When romance doesn’t work with how the premise of the rp is written not wouldn’t make sense and it’s out of character.

People who have zero ideas but shoot down every single one of mine.

When romance is the entire focus of a story with no other plot. Romance can be included, but I want a story.
This. I am a sucker for certain romance tropes, like star-crossed love, but I do like those things to be included alongside a larger plot. I'm also not a fan of slice of life type stories so while there will be fluffy romantic moments the vast majority of the time the characters will be doing other things besides just sharing cute intimate moments.

I can't stand damsel in distress characters created in the neverending cycle of doing nothing but being a hindrance to the plot itself. Like my guy has just been wounded saving your character twice because of your insane need to add peril every two posts. Is it too much to ask that your character at least try to help him instead of crying in the corner?!

I can't stand damsel in distress characters created in the neverending cycle of doing nothing but being a hindrance to the plot itself. Like my guy has just been wounded saving your character twice because of your insane need to add peril every two posts. Is it too much to ask that your character at least try to help him instead of crying in the corner?!
This. This. Like this shit is why I hate the damsel in distress trope. In my case I’ve witnessed the rper recycle these plots.. in a zombie apocalypse rp.

This. This. Like this shit is why I hate the damsel in distress trope. In my case I’ve witnessed the rper recycle these plots.. in a zombie apocalypse rp.
I don't think I have ever played this trope in any of my RP's. I'm just not into it and stories like the ones presented here just reinforce my disinterest.

I don't think I have never played this trope in any of my RP's. I'm just not into it and stories like the ones presented here just reinforce my disinterest.
I am the same way now after that shit show of an rp.

It's not cute. I also feel like it's an excuse for the other person not to help contribute to the story other than making unnecessary complications.

It's not cute. I also feel like it's an excuse for the other person not to help contribute to the story other than making unnecessary complications.
It did make things complicated that’s for sure. Honestly the rp should’ve been called her character’s name and fan favorite’s show’ it was heading in that direction anyway.

And its even worse in group RP's. With everyone trying to be the edgy bastard, it becomes not-fun to have people add another notch of peril every two posts in a group RP and then just sulk in character about how bad it is. Like no, if you as the player are gonna put stakes and tragedy in there, you as the character have to toughen up, don't just go in the corner and cry IC about the problems you created OOC. I'm all for conflict, but at that point, if people are creating conflict just to say "look how edgy and fucked up the world is and there's nothing we can do about it", I'm out.

My latest RP pet peeve was realized when I looked back on one of my earliest experiences in online role-playing in 2009 and 2010.

And that pet peeve is... NO CONSISTENT TENSE!!

In one sentence, it's 1st person past tense.

I looked over at him and thought, 'this could work.'

The next sentence is 3rd person past tense.

She jumped the gap easily and continued bounding across rooftops like the graceful acrobat she was.

The next sentence they're in 1st person present tense.

I'm looking deep into his eyes trying to figure out what's going on in that head of his.

And finally they end up in 2nd person when in a collab post, or when addressing another character in their solo post expecting a direct reply.

You look into my eyes and see the honesty within. (Well, first of all this is Power Playing by forcing a reality onto my character I didn't put there and without my permission, so screw you, I'm not responding the way you want. Second, NOBODY writes a role-play in second tense since it's a 4th wall break meant for the READER, not the other character!)

PICK A DAMN TENSE AND STICK TO IT!!!

There are very few things in creative writing that actually get me upset. But this is one of them. If you can't pick a tense or don't know what they are, look them up. They are very important for maintaining consistency in your writing and ensuring that you don't cause confusion or step out of line in the RP by writing in a style or person/tense that steps on someone else's toes or forces an action or mindset that the other person didn't put on the page themselves.

Goji rant over.

Cheers!

~ GojiBean

Please, for the love of all that is holy, put detail into your interest checks or don't post them at all. Just telling us that you want to RP is not enough. We all do, that is why we're here. What do you like to RP? If you have any specific plots or prompts then showcase them. Oh, and especially don't put up an interest check without any detail and then be like "I'll fill this in later". That is just a tease...

Yeah. I tend to skip over those interest checks. Also, the ones that mention being bored or being ghosted by past partners. Yes ghosting sucks, but it happens. I don't want to read about how your(speaking generally)former partners ghosted you especially on an IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back