Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm aware. I should not have to reply to a post to be able read it.
You don’t, you just have to press two buttons and read. It’s easier than making a different version in case someone can’t read it and isn’t willing to press two buttons.

Don’t get me wrong, I dislike those unreadable super tiny fonts as much as the next guy, just saying that you can read it if you want to, there is that method, and a few others like asking the person who made the thing. Maybe you don’t think you should have to use those methods, that’s fine, but they are available.

My whole point is that presentation is often a major proponent of a RP's viability. Players should not have to do workarounds to read something they might be interested in. It should be clear from the onset. You should not have to use a "method". There are a few factors that makes me determine if a RP project is worth my time. Presentation is one of them. I'm not going out of my way.

Time 👏 consistency👏

On my old site this used to happen all the time, one person would Time skip to the next school morning because it suited their character, even though the last post was a conversation two people were having at the start of a school day that was very obviously waiting for a specific character to reply to. Or a post would finish on an open question and suddenly Suzie is going home to have an argument with her mom about the party on Saturday night even though IT WAS MONDAY.

I don’t mind skipping days to get closer to an event, especially if they’re just boring routine days, but god pay attention to what other characters are doing and if they are using the time you just yeeted away.

Had an elemental role play where one character went off by herself to hone her great power and do some self discovering, alas her power was too great and she fainted. This happened three different times. At the start of the Rp, when characters were trying to establish relationships and a group bond. Then she casually mentions that she’s been out cold for a month while everyone had built up to a climactic argument that we were going to use to show off our character values etc. She just.. skipped it. So her character could be the centre of attention in an RP she made about a group. Quite obviously a Mary Sue self insert as well. Yikes forever.

Time 👏 consistency👏

On my old site this used to happen all the time, one person would Time skip to the next school morning because it suited their character, even though the last post was a conversation two people were having at the start of a school day that was very obviously waiting for a specific character to reply to. Or a post would finish on an open question and suddenly Suzie is going home to have an argument with her mom about the party on Saturday night even though IT WAS MONDAY.

I don’t mind skipping days to get closer to an event, especially if they’re just boring routine days, but god pay attention to what other characters are doing and if they are using the time you just yeeted away.
As a GM, I try to judge when a scene is played out before dictating a time transition. I've never had a player move time before without GM approval, though.

Time 👏 consistency👏

Had an elemental role play where one character went off by herself to hone her great power and do some self discovering, alas her power was too great and she fainted. This happened three different times. At the start of the Rp, when characters were trying to establish relationships and a group bond. Then she casually mentions that she’s been out cold for a month while everyone had built up to a climactic argument that we were going to use to show off our character values etc. She just.. skipped it. So her character could be the centre of attention in an RP she made about a group. Quite obviously a Mary Sue self insert as well. Yikes forever.

Tell her her character died because no one could be unconscious for a month without medical care. Then continue the RP without her.

As a GM, I try to judge when a scene is played out before dictating a time transition. I've never had a player move time before without GM approval, though.
It was a pretty common tbf, there wasn’t really a hierarchy after the game started and the best writers seemed to take control of story direction. But most of us waited until, like you said, a scene is played out, or involve ourselves in said scene. Others obviously thought it best to just skip to a new scene where they were COA.

I have so many rants it’s unreal. Me and a friend joined an Rp that was murder mystery. It got pretty difficult early on, despite the amazing chemistry between our characters we didn’t know what sort of clues we should be finding. The person who made the RP and the third detective completely disappeared from the site, inactive. I decided that I should come up with something before we made up too many clues for the plot to make sense, and made a plan for what crime had actually taken place and all of the motives. After almost three months the creator comes back with her friend and I explained how I had a plan, so follow my lead if I introduce a clue or hint at something. I’d already put a few bits of evidence in place, and before that my friend had been finding random stuff that I had to write into the murder. She pitches a complete fit that it was her story and I’d stolen it off her, she had her own plan that she wanted to follow and it wasn’t fair etc. We moved into a chatzy room without them and me and my friend have been RPing it for two years now. (The murder got solved about 16 months ago, btw. I’d love to repost it here but it doesn’t comply with the guidelines:/ )

Hey, at least your murder mystery RP got past the equivalent of page two.

We’re on page 8 of the old site, but that site is due to be deleted any day. Would have been easier to copy and paste into a word doc if it was shorter 😂
Facts. The one I was in was set in the 1920s. I was playing a former Pinkerton agent, it was pretty wild for the short time we did it.

Wow. I wonder if I should try to find my old character now. 👀

After a while of responding to this thread, I'll finally contribute a pet peeve of my own.

When a player abides by the rules, but not by the spirit of the rules, you get the bane of my existence as a GM. Now I'm happy when players do their research, and try to be creative and get involved in the system of how things work well enough to find way to manipulate it to some extent, heck I do it myself.

Issue starts though when the players aren't looking for ways to be creative, and instead are trying to get loopholes for very clearly plot-breaking stuff. Be it because they are trying to get some unfair advantage out of it, or just to show they are clever or even just to dick around, this is just in poor taste. It comes in many forms, from wordplay to using obscure scientific facts, theories or terms, to following strictly the word of the rules without adhering to the spirit of the rules in a sort of "if it's not written I can't, then I can" attitude.

It's really corrosive to a roleplay because nothing deteriorates the mood, makes the amount of rules have to explode (or otherwise makes me have to exercise my authority as GM without basing it on a previously established and outlined rule) or is as hard to work around with hs as having to play mind games with your players just so that they will at least stay within the bounds of what makes a functioning story.

I may or may not be alone on this, but I absolutely cannot stand pre-planned writing. Please do not write out exactly how your going to write your your responses before the RP has even begun!! Having roles is one thing, telling me how to play mine is quite another. That's kind of why I stear clear of fandoms, apart from just disliking them as a whole.

I may or may not be alone on this, but I absolutely cannot stand pre-planned writing. Please do not write out exactly how your going to write your your responses before the RP has even begun!! Having roles is one thing, telling me how to play mine is quite another. That's kind of why I stear clear of fandoms, apart from just disliking them as a whole.
If it's unilterally planning how things will be, or if it's them just having their responses planned out irrespective of your actual content I totally agree with you, but beyond that I just don't see why it's something that would make you angry? Could you please explain it?

It's basically just what you said, I enjoy having a RP evolve as it goes on, with some fluidity, rather than it just being set in stone before it actually begins. I dunno. Kinda hard to explain.

It's basically just what you said, I enjoy having a RP evolve as it goes on, with some fluidity, rather than it just being set in stone before it actually begins. I dunno. Kinda hard to explain.
I mean that's different from what I just said. There's a difference between planning and railroading, or between planning and just writing for themselves and ignoring you, what I don't get is the general anger at heavy planning?

Maybe I'll try clarifying what I mean. I'm a big fan of planning a planner by nature as I usually say. Naturally this means I prefer working with other people who also enjoy planning, and to me the more the better. At the same time though, I do understand that others do not have this taste, and that does not make them poor roleplayers, just people who appreciate different things in their roleplay. Where I value more the structure, cohesion and narrative effectiveness of a story, others may value more the fluency and organicity (word derived from organic appearantly, it seemed a bit off when I looked it up so I'm clarifying) of said story.

Point is I understand preferring one over the other, whichever they may be. Then, I understand anger at people who seem to plan only for themselves and then want to impose it on you, either by trying to force your hand or by preventing you from having a say by ignoring you. But this, I would argue, is an exception among planners, even people who are into heavy planning (though admitedly I don't exactly have a huge sample size to back it up). It seems that you're implying you believe that detailed planning of individual scenes is by nature something you in poor taste or to be poor writing (or poor roleplaying), even when this isn't being imposed on anyone and is instead the result of two people cooperating in that planning.

I could be misinterpreting what you said of course, and I do apologize for the bother if I am, but in case I am not I wanted to know why planning and/or planners annoy you by the fact of being.

Do you mean if two people are in the plotting phase, talk about what they want to happen in the roleplay, and write it out exactly as they discussed it prior?
Yeah, if that's the case, that would be annoying. There's no element of surprise. You already know some of what will happen.

So you can't read a CS on mobile when provided a template?

They're probably referring to the "super fancy" coding people are using, given how code-intensive this site can be. It's not just mobile, though. Saw an OOC earlier where the OP crammed it into a tiny white box with text color almost on-par with the white background. Nearly impossible to read.

They're probably referring to the "super fancy" coding people are using, given how code-intensive this site can be. It's not just mobile, though. Saw an OOC earlier where the OP crammed it into a tiny white box with text color almost on-par with the white background. Nearly impossible to read.

Oh I usually just using bolding and maybe some underlines. I can imagine that it gets a little..hectic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back