Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking as someone who enjoys exploring otherwise sensitive or taboo subjects in writing, I would never force it upon those who are uncomfortable with it. That's just plain disrespect.
Trust me, I have some things that are sensitive to many I love to write about. But I also have subjects, some big, some small, I prefer to avoid. Discussing comfort zones with partners is a must.

You should never try to assume anything about why someone is sensitive to a topic. No matter what the subject is. No is a complete sentence.

Trust me, I have some things that are sensitive to many I love to write about. But I also have subjects, some big, some small, I prefer to avoid. Discussing comfort zones with partners is a must.

You should never try to assume anything about why someone is sensitive to a topic. No matter what the subject is. No is a complete sentence.

On another site I once had a character who had a really dark past filled with all sorts of senstive subjects. A person who happened to be triggered by some of those things wanted to write with the character and ended up super upset. She did not inform me of her triggers beforehand nor did I even care to ask. Needless to say it was a learning experience for us both.

On another site I once had a character who had a really dark past filled with all sorts of senstive subjects. A person who happened to be triggered by some of those things wanted to write with the character and ended up super upset. She did not inform me of her triggers beforehand nor did I even care to ask. Needless to say it was a learning experience for us both.
I had a situation that made me feel so bad and really weary for quite a while and even now. I am one of those fine with violence but a prude with other issues. I mentioned loving dark stories with evil cruel villains. Had someone say they loved dark and evil plots. Then got upset with me when I described the villains crime scene.

PLEASE BE UPFRONT AND WILLING TO REALLY TALK ABOUT COMFORT ZONES!

I had a situation that made me feel so bad and really weary for quite a while and even now. I am one of those fine with violence but a prude with other issues. I mentioned loving dark stories with evil cruel villains. Had someone say they loved dark and evil plots. Then got upset with me when I described the villains crime scene.

PLEASE BE UPFRONT AND WILLING TO REALLY TALK ABOUT COMFORT ZONES!
I have very few limits and I typically make sure to let potential partners know, usually right in my interest checks, so we can know beforehand whether we're compatible. Like, for example, if a player doesn't like heavy usage of profanity then I know they may not be the best partner for me.

I have very few limits and I typically make sure to let potential partners know, usually right in my interest checks, so we can know beforehand whether we're compatible. Like, for example, if a player doesn't like heavy usage of profanity then I know they may not be the best partner for me.
My issue is people need to actually pay attention to interest checks. I find on this site you get less hits but the people are more honest upfront. Other sites I've gotten a lot more hits and then find out they don't actually pay attention to rule or pre RP talk. And trust me, by ads on sites like DA can be very upfront and strict and still get people who seem to just look at the part that says Roleplay.

My issue is people need to actually pay attention to interest checks. I find on this site you get less hits but the people are more honest upfront. Other sites I've gotten a lot more hits and then find out they don't actually pay attention to rule or pre RP talk. And trust me, by ads on sites like DA can be very upfront and strict and still get people who seem to just look at the part that says Roleplay.
I don't get many hits generally, but that's more so because I have quite different RP interests from the vast majority of this site.

I don't get many hits generally, but that's more so because I have quite different RP interests from the vast majority of this site.
It can be hard to get interest if what you like in a RP is very selective. Which make it even more wrong for people to respond and act like they are interested without reading the actual prompt.

It can be hard to get interest if what you like in a RP is very selective. Which make it even more wrong for people to respond and act like they are interested without reading the actual prompt.
Fortunately I haven't run into that much. I honestly have a bigger issue with people messaging me, we start talking plot and such, and then they disappear.

Fortunately I haven't run into that much. I honestly have a bigger issue with people messaging me, we start talking plot and such, and then they disappear.
I get that too. You talk for a bit and they seem really interested then stop replying. I sometimes wish they'd just be upfront if they realize we weren't RP compatible. Especially if we trailed off and talked about non RP just fine. If they like talking gardening, cats, crafts, random story but don't think we are compatible RP for some reason I'm willing to be online friends without RPing. just be honest you don't want to RP.

Also it really stinks when the talks reach the point where I post the first post and then I never get a reply back.

Aggressive messages from would be roleplay seekers. Their referring to having ideas for your plots means changing them to something unrecognizable to fit their needs and wants or demanding further contact be in discord because it's a requirement of theirs.
Let me think 🤔 no thanks.

Someone tagged me for a 1x1 thread between our characters because they were canonmates, but they didn't... give me a heads up first? Or talk to me about what kind of plot they had in mind, or even ask me if I had bandwidth for another thread? I never knew this was something I'd have to worry about.

Someone tagged me for a 1x1 thread between our characters because they were canonmates, but they didn't... give me a heads up first? Or talk to me about what kind of plot they had in mind, or even ask me if I had bandwidth for another thread?

You're a celebrity now, VermilionBird VermilionBird . Soon the RPaparazzi will be hiding in your bushes hoping to snap a picture of you brushing your teeth.

Someone tagged me for a 1x1 thread between our characters because they were canonmates, but they didn't... give me a heads up first? Or talk to me about what kind of plot they had in mind, or even ask me if I had bandwidth for another thread? I never knew this was something I'd have to worry about.
I'm going to start tagging you in other people's RPs that I'm not even a part of. (Just kidding! I would never do that! But it would be hilarious!)

If this thread were a book, it would probably be a best seller. After reading through some of the earlier comments, I'm amazed and horrified about the experiences of others.

If you aren't going to bother to read someone's post in its entirety then what are you even replying for? You can't skim it over and just reply one minute and wonder why the next you missed something crucial.

If you aren't going to bother to read someone's post in its entirety then what are you even replying for? You can't skim it over and just reply one minute and wonder why the next you missed something crucial.

You'd be surprised. Sometimes, I think if there were somehow a cliff notes for RP, there would indeed be people who use it. Because the only important thing to an RP post is the part that directly involves their character. Or something.

My Halloween costume for this year is going to be a white sheet with the words "NONESSENTIAL DESCRIPTIONS AND DETAILS" written on it. woOOOoo scary

Good news guys, I don't have any pet peeves to speak of. Why? Simple! Because I'm unable to roleplay in the first place due to lacking any suitable partners. Well, maybe one or two might be running, but that's not very many. The good news? I came here in hope of bringing remedy to that problem, I'm sure I will fairly soon.

biggest pet peeve is when people i'm planning an rp with back out only after they see my characters, or say "i'm uncomfortable with you having lgbtq/black/transgender/autistic ocs"
(translation: please make them white or korean, cis, straight, and neurotypical xx)
which unfortunately has happened to me more than once

i can,, sort of understand people who only want to rp hetero ships
i guess
but especially if my ocs arent going to be in a romantic relationship with theirs anyway its just ??? why is it an issue it literally has nothing to do with you
idk if someone knows why this ^ is please explain to me why someone would drop a platonic rp because the other person's oc happened to be lgbtq, poc, or has asd

biggest pet peeve is when people i'm planning an rp with back out only after they see my characters, or say "i'm uncomfortable with you having lgbtq/black/transgender/autistic ocs"
(translation: please make them white or korean, cis, straight, and neurotypical xx)
which unfortunately has happened to me more than once

i can,, sort of understand people who only want to rp hetero ships
i guess
but especially if my ocs arent going to be in a romantic relationship with theirs anyway its just ??? why is it an issue it literally has nothing to do with you
idk if someone knows why this ^ is please explain to me why someone would drop a platonic rp because the other person's oc happened to be lgbtq, poc, or has asd
Well in all honesty, you were saved a lot of trouble. If someone has a problem with the race of your character, sexuality, etc then that's not anyone you want to be writing with. Sounds like just a headache in the long run.

I have a take on this.

I once read a short novel called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" by Mark Haddon. The protagonist is a fifteen year old heavily autistic mathematical savant.

The story kind of rotates around it because it's so interesting.

When you introduce some atypical (see: Atypical) personality trait into your story, you will almost always shift some (often a large) amount of focus onto that trait. And if you aren't going to focus or explore that trait or treat it with some kind of import, why would you even mention it? As a great dead playwright once said: "keep it simple, stupid".

When you introduce a character concept to another person, you're basically providing them a reference sheet regarding how you're going to play that character and what things you're going to be focused on. Whether that's your intention or not, that's generally how it's going to be perceived.

You might consider something like autism or being gender-fluid as just a matter of course and you might have a thousand pages in your head of characterization that dwarfs the character's gender-fluidity as a cornerstone personality trait, but there's no real way to know that for your partner.

A better way to approach RPs with atypical characters is maybe to keep all that shit to yourself and slowly reveal it through exposition, because that way it'll seem more natural and not as in-your-face to your partner.

Atypical personalities and mental disorders are difficult enough for people to deal with in real life - it's not a stretch to imagine that many people would rather just not in their leisure time.

I once dated a girl with bipolar disorder, and while she was adorable and demure most of the time, dealing with her depressive phases was extremely tiring. If I struggled to be understanding and compassionate to someone that I love, why would I tolerate and/or choose to expend such effort dealing with a fictional creation of some stranger's on the internet?

I have a take on this.

I once read a short novel called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" by Mark Haddon. The protagonist is a fifteen year old heavily autistic mathematical savant.

The story kind of rotates around it because it's so interesting.

When you introduce some atypical (see: Atypical) personality trait into your story, you will almost always shift some (often a large) amount of focus onto that trait. And if you aren't going to focus or explore that trait or treat it with some kind of import, why would you even mention it? As a great dead playwright once said: "keep it simple, stupid".

When you introduce a character concept to another person, you're basically providing them a reference sheet regarding how you're going to play that character and what things you're going to be focused on. Whether that's your intention or not, that's generally how it's going to be perceived.

You might consider something like autism or being gender-fluid as just a matter of course and you might have a thousand pages in your head of characterization that dwarfs the character's gender-fluidity as a cornerstone personality trait, but there's no real way to know that for your partner.

A better way to approach RPs with atypical characters is maybe to keep all that shit to yourself and slowly reveal it through exposition, because that way it'll seem more natural and not as in-your-face to your partner.

Atypical personalities and mental disorders are difficult enough for people to deal with in real life - it's not a stretch to imagine that many people would rather just not in their leisure time.

I once dated a girl with bipolar disorder, and while she was adorable and demure most of the time, dealing with her depressive phases was extremely tiring. If I struggled to be understanding and compassionate to someone that I love, why would I tolerate and/or choose to expend such effort dealing with a fictional creation of some stranger's on the internet?

I just want to note that sometimes these types of characters kind of write themselves. There was one character I had written without intending for him to be autistic, but the more I wrote him and explored his personality the more I began to picture him as autistic. He definitely fit the profile in quite a few ways. I no longer write the character, but he was honestly one of my favourites. He had an interesting backstory which drove his motives and he was willing to do nearly anything to see justice delivered (he was basically a morally grey detective type).

I just want to note that sometimes these types of characters kind of write themselves. There was one character I had written without intending for him to be autistic, but the more I wrote him and explored his personality the more I began to picture him as autistic. He definitely fit the profile in quite a few ways.
Organic growth is beautiful, isn't it?

Organic growth is beautiful, isn't it?
It's one of the best kinds of growth. It's one reason why I don't like super extensive character sheets. Actually writing out the character in different scenarios is how I really get a feel for their personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back