What's new

Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Aquanette

For me personally:

RP sinks and drowns at planning stage: Fine
RP sinks and drowns after a few back and forth: Fine
RP sinks right after I send the first starter post: pet peeve.

Doesn't make me angry, just disappointed. I'd much rather prefer that RP sinks at the planning stage instead. But that's just me.
I hate that I really do.

Syntra

Baba Yaga
For me personally:

RP sinks and drowns at planning stage: Fine
RP sinks and drowns after a few back and forth: Fine
RP sinks right after I send the first starter post: pet peeve.

Doesn't make me angry, just disappointed. I'd much rather prefer that RP sinks at the planning stage instead. But that's just me.
That sucks, but I don't mind as much because that just means I'll get to recycle the idea. I already have the starter, so why not? What infuriates me is my partner ghosting me after I send them my character's CS, though. I hate writing character sheets and try to avoid that at all costs, so if I do write one, it's the result of being persuaded to do so. So, in essence, I'll do something I hate doing and get nothing out of it-- not even a second of actually enjoyable writing. That does grind my gears.

That sucks, but I don't mind as much because that just means I'll get to recycle the idea. I already have the starter, so why not? What infuriates me is my partner ghosting me after I send them my character's CS, though. I hate writing character sheets and try to avoid that at all costs, so if I do write one, it's the result of being persuaded to do so. So, in essence, I'll do something I hate doing and get nothing out of it-- not even a second of actually enjoyable writing. That does grind my gears.
That sounds tough. Though I can't say I "avoid it at all costs" I also hate writing sheets, they're a mood killer for me. So I can sympathize with what you said.

Aquanette

You know this brings me to another thing CS, I don't really like them, why? Because I have a lot of ideas for my characters and writing it all down on a profile is a chore. I mean I will if it's that important to my partner, but wouldn't be more fun to save these details for the RP? I know some people claim this is lazy, but I am quite frankly just better at show than tell...plus if you don't know every detail of my character beforehand or prevents people from inserting themselves into my character's backstory and coming up with abilities beforehand specifically just to combat my character if they have to figure it out as the story unfolds.

Syntra

Baba Yaga
You know this brings me to another thing CS, I don't really like them, why? Because I have a lot of ideas for my characters and writing it all down on a profile is a chore. I mean I will if it's that important to my partner, but wouldn't be more fun to save these details for the RP? I know some people claim this is lazy, but I am quite frankly just better at show than tell...plus if you don't know every detail of my character beforehand or prevents people from inserting themselves into my character's backstory and coming up with abilities beforehand specifically just to combat my character if they have to figure it out as the story unfolds.
Exactly this! Plus, I often get the best ideas for mc's backstory a few posts in, so I retroactively edit these things often in my head. I'm not even ashamed.

Aquanette

Exactly this! Plus, I often get the best ideas for mc's backstory a few posts in, so I retroactively edit these things often in my head. I'm not even ashamed.
This, like I hate making premade bio's because too often have I come up with much better more compelling ideas and know I either have to sneak in or shamefully ask for a retcon.

Myth Fox

Move It Muffin!
I hate when they are required. I've had several people over the years more make demands about them. I would rather just play my character out over the story.

nerdy tangents

art by tausune
So for me a character sheet is a world building tool to make sure my partner

1. Understands the story we are creating

2. Understands the world the story takes place in.

I can’t tell you how many times we get to the CS stage and I realize my partner did not understand any part of the planning stage. It also usually helps me determine writing style for people who do not have a premade sample.

That said my character sheet is an elevator pitch. It’s basically how you would describe the character (sometimes with pictures) in about two minutes or less. So it’s not a particularly in-depth process and is usually what people would do anyway when pitching the character concept. Just a bit more organized (I am hyper organized in roleplays so it helps me feel less anxiety to have all information in one place),

Aquanette

So for me, a character sheet is a world-building tool to make sure my partner

1. Understands the story we are creating

2. Understands the world the story takes place in.

I can’t tell you how many times we get to the CS stage and I realize my partner did not understand any part of the planning stage. It also usually helps me determine writing style for people who do not have a pre-made sample.

That said my character sheet is an elevator pitch. It’s basically how you would describe the character (sometimes with pictures) in about two minutes or less. So it’s not a particularly in-depth process and is usually what people would do anyway when pitching the character concept. Just a bit more organized (I am hyper-organized in roleplays so it helps me feel less anxiety to have all information in one place),
To be honest I can understand the need for a CS is group RP as it's like you said a check to make sure everyone understands the world and also a check to make sure that no one is trying to pull a fast one and cheat the system.

Merciless Medic

Walking Pokemon Dictionary
To be honest I can understand the need for a CS is group RP as it's like you said a check to make sure everyone understands the world and also a check to make sure that no one is trying to pull a fast one and cheat the system.
I have seen people try and cheat the system in a 1x1. XD LOL I don't know why they thought that was a good idea. That was a couple years ago on a Pokémon RP. Even when we did have character sheets, they used a background info that was seemingly insignificant that I overlooked in the RP and it was practically OP. XD so whoops XD that was both my bad for not picking up on it and their bad for trying to one up in the RP.

Aquanette

I have seen people try and cheat the system in a 1x1. XD LOL I don't know why they thought that was a good idea. That was a couple years ago on a Pokémon RP. Even when we did have character sheets, they used a background info that was seemingly insignificant that I overlooked in the RP and it was practically OP. XD so whoops XD that was both my bad for not picking up on it and their bad for trying to one up in the RP.
Honestly I don't get why people think it's so important to always win inn an RP like sure it's cool to try pout your combat ideas and have them pay off but to the point where you feel like you need to cheat? It's like when people rage quit in player matches, I mean it's not ranked and it doesn't go on your record so what exactly do you have to lose or gain from doing this?

Merciless Medic

Honestly I don't get why people think it's so important to always win inn an RP like sure it's cool to try pout your combat ideas and have them pay off but to the point where you feel like you need to cheat? It's like when people rage quit in player matches, I mean it's not ranked and it doesn't go on your record so what exactly do you have to lose or gain from doing this?

It's not that it's important but more that they need something to make them feel good. For some, it's an urge like you would get in a competitive match. Your emotions gets tied into it and the person acts like a jerk because they are trying to win and doing what they can. XD "nice people don't win" apparently. Other times, they are in a rough spot and want to feel in control of the situation because they don't have that in their life. Why they don't make fanfics instead besides the reason "spontaneity and randomness and more ideas" is beyond me.

Some people find it important because it's a good escape for them. But other than that, I can't give any other reason as to why others would do it, who don't fit these reasons I mentioned.

It could also be entitlement XD lol but yea know.

Aquanette

It's not that it's important but more that they need something to make them feel good. For some, it's an urge like you would get in a competitive match. Your emotions gets tied into it and the person acts like a jerk because they are trying to win and doing what they can. XD "nice people don't win" apparently. Other times, they are in a rough spot and want to feel in control of the situation because they don't have that in their life. Why they don't make fanfics instead besides the reason "spontaneity and randomness and more ideas" is beyond me.

Some people find it important because it's a good escape for them. But other than that, I can't give any other reason as to why others would do it, who don't fit these reasons I mentioned.

It could also be entitlement XD lol but yea know.
I would suspect the reason they don't just write fanfiction is because maybe they need to feel control over another person therefore just writing a completely fictional piece of their own making may not be enough for them perhaps?

Merciless Medic

I would suspect the reason they don't just write fanfiction is because maybe they need to feel control over another person therefore just writing a completely fictional piece of their own making may not be enough for them perhaps?

Possibly. And if they can't get that control, no matter if they have plenty of it or not irl, can make thos people incredibly nasty and manipulative. But also, writing fanfiction can feel like a chore or feel boring if you don't have anyone you can bounce ideas with. The problem is when the two-way idea street becomes more like "I want to hear these ideas and maybe they'll be useful, but it has to follow my narrative and it can't be different. So effectively only my ideas or ideas of like-minded individuals can work" which sounds kind of pretentious to assume that no idea is going to work unless you pass it like it's the law. -_- and then you get those same people who use an idea they took from someone suggesting it to them when they said the idea didn't work in the first place.

Yea, I've had this issue before XD

Aquanette

People that say they enjoy OOC but clearly do not enjoy OOC like you give one-word answers to pretty much everything, there is never anything you want to talk about RP related or otherwise and now I feel like I'm being annoying and bothering you.

The Great Sage

The Storyteller
This is an interesting topic. When I RP, I sort of mandate that the other person plays the 'main character' and that my job is to throw situations and different NPCs at them. I always have an end goal in mind for the protagonist when I start playing, and I do my best to move the player toward that goal at a steady but not reckless pace.

I suppose that means that I demand the lion's share of the control in any given game, but over 20 years of doing this sort of thing I've realized that if I don't take the reins, the odds of a game fizzling out increases by like a billion percent.

Aquanette

This is an interesting topic. When I RP, I sort of mandate that the other person plays the 'main character' and that my job is to throw situations and different NPCs at them. I always have an end goal in mind for the protagonist when I start playing, and I do my best to move the player toward that goal at a steady but not reckless pace.

I suppose that means that I demand the lion's share of the control in any given game, but over 20 years of doing this sort of thing I've realized that if I don't take the reins, the odds of a game fizzling out increases by like a billion percent.
This is why I don't GM group RP anymore because if I don't do absolutely everything, everyone else just doesn't try and it dies no matter how much creative freedom I give them.

Aesir

People that say they enjoy OOC but clearly do not enjoy OOC like you give one-word answers to pretty much everything, there is never anything you want to talk about RP related or otherwise and now I feel like I'm being annoying and bothering you.

I have this issue so much - I generally consider myself on the sociable side and I love making friends with RP partners - the best partners I've had are people who I've come to know outside of RP (via playing video games, etc). We'll come together to share things like music and talk about our day, and when you're feeling as though the other person is a friend everything just feels wonderful. I get that some people are shy but please just say something if I'm being nosy or overexcited, otherwise I'll just be paranoid that I'm annoying you.

I promise I won't feel offended or anything - but please just say something haha ;; it unnerves me when it feels like I'm just talking into a silent room.

I do story building 1x1 RP. Making a story together, no experience points, no competition. Just making a story with character interacting with other characters and ideas and environment. Preferably discussions OOC. So when the person has a huge gotta win mentality it won't work. It just leads to meta gaming, rail roading and shoving against rules and what the other person types.

A bad case of this was a guy that started off the first leg of the RP really great suddenly changed gears without discussion. He said they were taking a boat one place and then had it stop and get stuck elsewhere. The whole plot he wanted was heavily political which I hate. Had no points that really took my characters into account. And he would not discuss story OOC wanting to leave things for surprise, hold up to complain I missed info, which I didn't. I just had my characters miss it as they were in a very strange place with systems they didn't understand. It turned to him literally trying to force me to play out of character and even bend the no hurting characters without permission by wording moves as impossible to dodge and getting annoyed I ignored the wording and called him out. I don't intend to kill a character I am having fun playing. Trying to discuss the issues and his change in play just made him try to use meta knowledge to force me to break character. It was all about him making my characters do stuff they wouldn't do, and not in a flow with the story conflict fashion. Just, he had to win this.

They were also trying to hard to force OOC real life politic arguments, not discussions, they were trying to start arguments. And were annoyed I simply put I don't talk politics. And would start "joke" debates on silly things but them make them uncomfortable by getting annoyed they "Won" but I didn't take it seriously.

I finally just ended it and told him I was done. This game was obviously not going to be fun for me again and it's not a game if it's not fun. I didn't feel like I was playing my characters in this as he literally seemed to have turned this into some self made step by step RP they didn't fit in. I don't do this rail roady crap and I don't use meta knowledge my characters don't have.

Frankly looking back on the discussions and something I saw later I think this person was suddenly very unhappy IRL. I also felt like this had to do with his desperation to GM a game with his friends and he was trying to test play his GMing on me without telling me.

grimmmy

holy work
I really dig RP when I can treat it like a game, like a play-by-post tabletop or a sandbox with character growth mechanics. Not so much digging the RPs that are just character-writing anymore, which is kind of a bummer. On one hand, I'm glad I'm figuring out what works for me, but it's also a little bittersweet starting to move away from at least some big part of the hobby that I've been doing for years.

And now I have to do the thing where it's like, "Yeahh, I said I was interested, but as it turns out..." I hate to do it but I gots to eventually.

The Great Sage

The Storyteller
I've been thinking about a plot so much that it's become bloated and enormously out of scope from the original idea I had planned. Instead of a short story, I'm now asking my player to write a novel.

Why can't I just adhere to the limitations I place upon myself?

Myth Fox

Move It Muffin!
People taking control over everything. It's their plot so they don't want any type of input. They have set characters they want played in the way they see fit. The entire roleplay is plotted out from start to finish according to how they want it to be and yet they're looking for partners to help lead the story. No, you just want a body.

Curls

Hopeless Daydream
1) When you join a roleplay thats very interesting and the other person character bio was amazing and detail and complex. Your expecting the character you know in the character sheet Will be the character you interact with... Right? Nope, not at all.(mostly happen with 1x1 roleplays)

2) When a really well thought out roleplay turns into a overuse d romantic sappy monstrosity just because the "compelling deep and complex" Character went through an "emotional growth" And found "someone who complete them". Ya.....

3) Is it to hard to ask for a roleplay that builds on character interaction, emotion, and conflicts that goes with the world? Do we absolutely have to jump into the romantic relationship thingy? What happened to slow burn? Platonic friendship that's slow burn?

If you can tell, I'm very frustrated on how you find a great roleplay but the people within the roleplay just ruin it and turn it into a sappy romantic thing while you and a few selected others are trying to stay with how the original thing is. (Not here of course, I haven't seen that yet)

The Great Sage

The Storyteller
3) Is it to hard to ask for a roleplay that builds on character interaction, emotion, and conflicts that goes with the world? Do we absolutely have to jump into the romantic relationship thingy?

Oh I agree. This is a big one for me, too. There is so much more drama to be found in life than exactly who or what you want to rub your crotch on.

Users who are viewing this thread