Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been role-playing all my life. From 12-21 and I can safely say, ghosters are my kryptonite.
You see, I tend to make group role-plays, I've never really 1x1, and when I tell you . . . .
Ghosters tend to destroy my role-plays. I take the blame because I don't know how to bounce back, but sheesh.
It results in someone's OC being stuck in an interaction and me being a noob GM, i never took initiative to offer them to move.
That results in the post pattern freezing up and it's just overall a flop for my really good RP ideas. So yeah.
*huff*​

Heavenchi Heavenchi

So as a former GM the best way to handle this is what I call “the nurses office”. Basically when people sign up for your roleplay (or if it’s already started just make an announcement).

They agree to have their characters put in the “nurses office” if they have to leave for some reason. Or if they don’t post for a set period of time.

I usually had people post every other day so the cut off was one week of no activity. But the cut off is gonna vary depending on your post schedule.

The nurses office is basically just code for their character being written out of the action.

This is usually accomplished by time skipping a bit so that everyone who is active is freed.

If the person who is on hiatus is important then you just write something to the effect that they have to handle stuff off screen.

Heavenchi Heavenchi

So as a former GM the best way to handle this is what I call “the nurses office”. Basically when people sign up for your roleplay (or if it’s already started just make an announcement).

They agree to have their characters put in the “nurses office” if they have to leave for some reason. Or if they don’t post for a set period of time.

I usually had people post every other day so the cut off was one week of no activity. But the cut off is gonna vary depending on your post schedule.

The nurses office is basically just code for their character being written out of the action.

This is usually accomplished by time skipping a bit so that everyone who is active is freed.

If the person who is on hiatus is important then you just write something to the effect that they have to handle stuff off screen.
Mmm, noted. I'll for sure keep that method in mind.

Pet peeve:

role play partners that are actually just bystanders reacting to the rp that's happening to them, forcing you to continously move the story along.

I had this one rp partner that I really enjoyed except for one fact: she would not help move the story along and was reluctant to play random side characters that were needed to have the scene make sense or add some flavor. I asked her to and too many times there were situations where it made more sense for her to direct or move the scene...but she just wouldn't.

Romantic scenes where the person playing the female character is mainly a receiver of the intimate scene, filled with signs, moans, how the touches burned her skin with pleasure.... My character has a body too you know.... He happens to like being touched and stuff....

Have you tried making a topic? It's easier for people to search for RPs. Bumping semi regularly helps. I like animal RPs and looked at your profile but couldn't find your own thread. Being active + maintaining a thread helps find RP partners. 90% of my rps are from people approaching me.
I did make an interest thread after someone else suggested me to, to see who was potentially interested (was warriors based), but I'm busy with personal things ATM and am slowly working on it's lore. I never made any 1x1 interest threads, but I'm definitely working on one.

not necessarily something that's bothering me today, but something that bothers me is when people don't read my character sheets :'(( i know sometimes i write a lot for backstory but it's not THAT noticeable when people don't read that and tbh i don't care that much if people don't read that, because i know some people like learning about characters as stories progress! it DOES bother me when i can tell someone hasn't read my sheet, like not knowing something i wrote about them in their personality or their age or what kind of power they have. i don't write sheets just so people can ignore them and it makes me feel kind of annoyed when people don't EVER read them like.... how are you going to know about my character if you don't read their sheet?? i don't get it 😔 i always read sheets everyone posts because that's how i go about establishing relationships but i guess to some people it just doesn't matter that much.

probably more of an unpopular opinion, but if the i-check has like 2+ paragraphs of "introduction," i'm not going to read it.

Something that really irritates me is people who do foster care or adoption roleplays. If I had a dollar for every roleplay idea I saw that had 'muse a adopts muse b' I'd be stinking rich. Not only do I not understand the appeal, but I don't understand the appeal of the feel good, fluffy crap that it always produces. It's a far cry from reality, that's for sure. Generally, it just sucks to see people having a conversation where they misrepresent something so terribly that you want to barf.

this hasn't happened in a long time, but i've had a few rp partners who, when replying to
my posts, literally control my character's reaction. like who said i wanted to, for example,
make my character scared in a certain situation? or since when did my character start
following yours? takes the fun out of a roleplay imo.

and this next thing irritates me a little: characters that are so overly powerful or edgy.
literally once i saw someone name a character something like "dagfinn albreksken." i was
neutral with the name, but once i saw the actual character is was like h o l y h e c k. i don't
entirely remember, but he was like other edgy characters. he had powers of darkness,
6'8 if i had to guess, and could turn into a huge monster. i mean, i won't force anyone to
change their characters. i just prefer to not rp with op characters, y'know? let's not let
my character be obliterated after 2 punches or something x_x

this hasn't happened in a long time, but i've had a few rp partners who, when replying to​
my posts, literally control my character's reaction. like who said i wanted to, for example,​
make my character scared in a certain situation? or since when did my character start​
following yours? takes the fun out of a roleplay imo.​
and this next thing irritates me a little: characters that are so overly powerful or edgy.​
literally once i saw someone name a character something like "dagfinn albreksken." i was​
neutral with the name, but once i saw the actual character is was like h o l y h e c k. i don't​
entirely remember, but he was like other edgy characters. he had powers of darkness,​
6'8 if i had to guess, and could turn into a huge monster. i mean, i won't force anyone to​
change their characters. i just prefer to not rp with op characters, y'know? let's not let​
my character be obliterated after 2 punches or something x_x​

do you mean “my character following yours” in like... making your character x follow their character y into the next room without asking you if they would follow them? because people do that just to prevent a reply having to be like “character y follows x into the room” in the next reply. it’s hard when i have to keep on writing my character waiting for your character to follow them xD.

honeslty, best thing to do is just ask your partner “hey what will x do if this happens?” if you need to include a reaction from your partner’s character. makes things simple and easy x3.

do you mean “my character following yours” in like... making your character x follow their character y into the next room without asking you if they would follow them? because people do that just to prevent a reply having to be like “character y follows x into the room” in the next reply. it’s hard when i have to keep on writing my character waiting for your character to follow them xD.

honeslty, best thing to do is just ask your partner “hey what will x do if this happens?” if you need to include a reaction from your partner’s character. makes things simple and easy x3.

oh! no, that is fine. it's situations like when i want my character to do something
entirely different and the other person just forces mine to follow theirs. that type
of thing? T-T

and thank you for the tip, though i haven't had it happen in such a long time! i've
found more people who are willing to work with me on what our characters do
and don't do so it's all good C:​

Rps where one person expects the story plot to revolve around just catering to some lonerish type. People who in a 1 x 1want to only focus on using a single character who is not willing to interact with my characters. Also characters who pretty much choose to remain dense to the overall story as a whole and hold up any plot.

That moment when you're typing up your reply and you get stuck on a specific word/phrase. The word is on the tip of your tongue and you know it's the perfect descriptor to whatever it is you're writing, but for some freakin' reason, you can't remember it. You will literally sit at you computer for an hour tryna figure out what this perfect word is. If you're lucky, you remember the word, but if you're like me and can't remember shit, then it comes to you 3 months later after you've done submitted the damn thing.That's even assuming you posted it because ya still haven't figured out the word! And to my rp partners, that's why it takes me a long time to respond, because I'm stuck on a specific phrase or word that has eluded me for the past 3 days. Good day.

Was a week ago actually, but I wrote possibly the longest reply of my life (and it was only halfway done) over on Word for more visibility, the document is nowhere to be found. I could cry. I've been hesitating to write it over for days now, because I just can't right now.

Sibelle Grey Sibelle Grey I recommend Google Docs if you want to write your post up first. The spell check isn’t the most robust but the bonuses are

1. It automatically saves everything (I can’t remember the exact intervals but you wouldn’t loose more than a paragraph or two.)

2. You can easily copy paste the finished product into a word document when your done to do the more robust check.

3. If you do roleplay samples it makes that process a snap. Just put at the top (Character Name played by Sibelle Grey) and then you can just straight transcribe the whole roleplay

4. if the site goes down you and your partner still have access to your roleplay.

Something that really irritates me is people who do foster care or adoption roleplays. If I had a dollar for every roleplay idea I saw that had 'muse a adopts muse b' I'd be stinking rich. Not only do I not understand the appeal, but I don't understand the appeal of the feel good, fluffy crap that it always produces. It's a far cry from reality, that's for sure. Generally, it just sucks to see people having a conversation where they misrepresent something so terribly that you want to barf.
The one's who have sent me into eye twitching rage are those that add clingy kids to an RP's plot without discussion. Especially the ones who act all oblivious to reality when you don't have a character fall in love with the sudden plot stalling brat. And then get all upset or disappointed when you tell them you are not interested in this kind of RP.

The one's who have sent me into eye twitching rage are those that add clingy kids to an RP's plot without discussion. Especially the ones who act all oblivious to reality when you don't have a character fall in love with the sudden plot stalling brat. And then get all upset or disappointed when you tell them you are not interested in this kind of RP.

Amen.

My RP pet peeve is really dependent on the scenario:

If I am rping with someone I trust and am good friends with, I literally don't care how we go about it as long as we're happy. Marysue characters and cliché plot is fine, but when I'm not close to a person and we're starting out a serious rp, especially if it's a fandom, poor character writing really makes me cringe and lose interest. I can't.

My other pet peeve is I really find it difficult when people want to plot things to pretty much the T. I don't like plotting that much, a general gist or goal is fine, but I am a very daydreamy person and once we've plotted out a lot of stuff from back to front I've basically already roleplayed it in my mind. I like to learn through characters and so sometimes don't even want to know the history of someone else because it's something I'd like to learn as I'm rping. Very immersive for me, so plotting is a huge put off. So boring. If I wanted to write a story in bullet points, I would.

Sibelle Grey Sibelle Grey I recommend Google Docs if you want to write your post up first. The spell check isn’t the most robust but the bonuses are

1. It automatically saves everything (I can’t remember the exact intervals but you wouldn’t loose more than a paragraph or two.)

2. You can easily copy paste the finished product into a word document when your done to do the more robust check.

3. If you do roleplay samples it makes that process a snap. Just put at the top (Character Name played by Sibelle Grey) and then you can just straight transcribe the whole roleplay

4. if the site goes down you and your partner still have access to your roleplay.
This is such a good idea, thank you!

Was a week ago actually, but I wrote possibly the longest reply of my life (and it was only halfway done) over on Word for more visibility, the document is nowhere to be found. I could cry. I've been hesitating to write it over for days now, because I just can't right now.
I feel your pain. I remember writing a post on word only for the power in my apartment to go out. Once it and the computer came back on, where I had been writing was just a blank document. I thought maybe it, by some chance, was somewhere else but it wasn't. I lost all interest in even writing another post after that.

1) A huge pet peeve of mine is when I send a few questions, and the reply I get only answers one.

If I missed it in your search, then call me out on it. Or answer the damn questions. Cause if I go back and see that the info I asked for is not in your search, then chances are I won't respond again. It's annoying to ask the same thing over and over.

And 2) this is going to be a controversial one but it's just personal opinions and pet peeves right? Anyway, triggers. I hate triggers. I get some things make people uncomfortable and all, but my opinion is that such topic need to be discussed more. Shunning and hiding from them only encourages the problems to continue. Real life is full of greatness, and it's full of shit. I like my stories to be the same.

And 2) this is going to be a controversial one but it's just personal opinions and pet peeves right? Anyway, triggers. I hate triggers. I get some things make people uncomfortable and all, but my opinion is that such topic need to be discussed more. Shunning and hiding from them only encourages the problems to continue. Real life is full of greatness, and it's full of shit. I like my stories to be the same.
I totally understand the sentiment behind this - I agree that sensitive topics SHOULD be addressed... But I do think that triggers can go far beyond just making people uncomfortable.

When you dip into the terminology, a "trigger" is technically in reference to post-traumatic stress disorder, if I'm not mistaken. If a particular subject is potentially considered a PTSD "trigger", then someone could easily plunge into significant emotional distress if it's poked at too harshly.

I fought cancer awhile back and while I agree that cancer certainly isn't a subject to be ignored, I know that some things surrounding cancer and treatment can once in awhile trigger flashbacks that spiral out of hand. It's happened before and while it's something that I'm in the process of dealing with, I just don't want something like RP - a recreational hobby - to be riddled with that risk. I think many people would agree, especially when it comes to things that I dare say are far worse than cancer.

Now I'm sure some people out there use "these are my triggers" instead of "I feel uncomfortable with these topics"... In fact I'm sure that statistically, a LOT of people do, lol. But at the same time, I really don't want to be the one jumping to conclusions... If someone says that xyz is a trigger for them, then whether I think they mean it or not, I'd prefer to take them at face value... just to not accidentally cause some geniune and hellish psychological distress that could have been avoided.

Heck, even if a list of triggers IS just personal preferences in disguise, I think that RP is one of those things that can't be done wrong, so long as everyone's having fun. Preferences are preferences, and I don't think a storyline is something that needs to be taken as seriously as, say, a published work that might be teaching a multitude of people. It can be taken that seriously, but I don't think it's a... moral responsibility, I guess I should say.

So yeah - sensitive stuff? I totally advocate for a nitty gritty story that prods at the more twisted topics... And I do agree that completely neglecting sensitive subjects in public works is generally a bad thing that can lead to further perpetuation of bad things. I mean, I'm the one going on about PTSD, flashbacks, and my experiences with cancer, after all!

At the same time though, I do think that "triggers" are something that people don't have a whole lot of control over... even more so if they mean it in the clinical sense. And that's okay, too.

Interesting topic! Thanks for bringing it up and making me think about it. I hope you find/have a RP partner or two that suits your needs and scratches that itch!

In fairness I think some people don’t use the term correctly. A trigger is something that causes physical or mental distress. To the extent that you real life is effected.

I remember when I was younger I would have people do things that would cause me to physically cry so hard I had to leave the computer. That is not acceptable nor is it something a simple discussion will fix.

A deal breaker on the other hand is something that people find distasteful. I personally find large age gaps (ex. An adult in a relationship with a minor child) distasteful. I think romanticizing what amounts to pedophilia or an abuse of power is gross.

But I am not going to be physically upset if you put it in a roleplay. I don’t even mind having a conversation about how certain genres romanticize pedophilia in their story telling. I am just personally not comfortable doing it myself because I find it morally repugnant.

So I think there is certainly a place for discussing hard topics. I just think you shouldn’t assume that a trigger is just something tied to a moral stance. As it can often be tied to a much deeper issue that should absolutely be respected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back