Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with that? We're all here to have fun. I'll never rp a character I won't enjoy rping and I don't think anyone should have to do that just because the other person wants it.
I can only speak for myself here, but the reason I prefer a partner who can play multiple genders is that there have been too many times where someone wanted me to play all of the male characters. Or just male characters. I wasn't allowed to have a say in the matter. Which is not only unbalanced, but unfair, but that's just me.

I can only speak for myself here, but the reason I prefer a partner who can play multiple genders is that there have been too many times where someone wanted me to play all of the male characters. Or just male characters. I wasn't allowed to have a say in the matter. Which is not only unbalanced, but unfair, but that's just me.
Looks like the problem here is incompatibility. "Not having a say" is an issue, it shouldn't even be a thing in a partnership.

People think im ghosting, when really people have lives outside of writing. Like... come on. What am I, a bot to spit out responses to threads I havent been moderating, or writing in for months? I dont want to be bombarded with stuff. Jesus...

And not feel like an outsider when joining a sandbox, or anything that doesnt require you to write a sheet. Im not angry at that, and its understandable, it just makes me feel like im not suitable to fit in

I hate when people brag about their character. Like for example in a marvel rp this guy would constantly talk about his OC and how she would beat canons and its like ok dude I don't fucking care but he kept doing it. But it feels so good when a much powerful character kicks their ass.

People think im ghosting, when really people have lives outside of writing. Like... come on. What am I, a bot to spit out responses to threads I havent been moderating, or writing in for months? I dont want to be bombarded with stuff. Jesus...

And not feel like an outsider when joining a sandbox, or anything that doesnt require you to write a sheet. Im not angry at that, and its understandable, it just makes me feel like im not suitable to fit in
I often get anxious because I have had people ghost me when I was really wanting to do a rp but I get it.

I don’t mind people ghosting or losing interest or even people with an inflexible gender preference. That’s just the norm. But if you give me little to no effort when we’re just starting to plot, like one word responses to my questions or no new ideas, I can already predict what it’ll be like when we start writing together. I might as well just pull the plug now instead of dragging it out. I’d rather not break my back carrying around dead weight or waste my time talking to a wall.

Also, people who just don’t know how to play off an action sequence. Your character can’t dodge every attack.

20y9qa.jpg

I don’t mind people ghosting or losing interest or even people with an inflexible gender preference. That’s just the norm. But if you give me little to no effort when we’re just starting to plot, like one word responses to my questions or no new ideas, I can already predict what it’ll be like when we start writing together. I might as well just pull the plug now instead of dragging it out. I’d rather not break my back carrying around dead weight or waste my time talking to a wall.

Also, people who just don’t know how to play off an action sequence. Your character can’t dodge every attack.

20y9qa.jpg
Lol, if I see someone say that its just a big nope. But yeah effort matters and it will affect the rp in the long run.

Lol, if I see someone say that its just a big nope. But yeah effort matters and it will affect the rp in the long run.

Lol. I’m all for making cool and powerful characters, but it’s not entertaining to have every attack just be ignored basically.

And for the effort, it’s just tiresome to always have to be the one to initiate the action. Like add something to the scene. Even a new line in dialogue instead of just “reacting” would be something.

Lol. I’m all for making cool and powerful characters, but it’s not entertaining to have every attack just be ignored basically.

And for the effort, it’s just tiresome to always have to be the one to initiate the action. Like add something to the scene. Even a new line in dialogue instead of just “reacting” would be something.
I totally agree with that, so many times I had to be the one to add something new.

I third this sentiment. Modern, realistic RPs are boring AF!!! Like, I write to get AWAY from modern reality. WHY would I want to roleplay it?

Yea. I only do modern settings if there's some kind of fantasy or sci-fi element involved.

Some something I was reminded of recently
was just homophobic roleplayers who try to justify their homophobia by making it about comfort level.

Like I am uncomfortable roleplaying trauma. I would never say “People who have suffered from trauma can’t exist in my roleplay.” Or “I’m uncomfortable with people who suffer trauma.”

I just say “Hey I am uncomfortable with the romanticization of trauma in popular media and I would rather it not be focal point of our characters relationship.” But like if my partner wants to have say a side character or something go through a traumatic event that’s fine. Or heck even if their own personal character goes through trauma off screen that’s fine.

But some people will fully be like “I’m not homophobic but gay people make me uncomfortable and I would rather they not be mentioned at all in our universe. All observable relationships must be heterosexual or platonic. In addition your character cannot have a bisexual character in a heterosexual relationship for no reason other than they might have gay cooties that will get all over my heterosexual character.”

I mean maybe not in so many words but that’s basically the sentiment. And honestly every time I read their long winded justification and I think

“You could have just stopped at ‘I’m homophobic’. Nothing you said convinced me you aren’t in fact homophobic and I honestly would have respected you more as a person if you just admitted it. Like I am not going to roleplay with you either way but at least if you admit your prejudice I feel like you respect me enough as a person to be honest.”

Same thing with other prejudices too. I have never had someone be like “I’m not transphobic/racist/ableist/misogynist/etc. BUT blah blah blah”

And walked away from the conversation being like “You know what, that person wasn’t actually the thing I never called them but that they felt the need to justify at length. Glad they cleared that up.”

I mean admittedly it doesn’t happen often but every time I am like “man you should have just taken the L and moved on.”

Players who apparently have a lot of ideas they want to throw in but literally can't come up with their own foundation for them. Suddenly elements like NPCs, character past, groups, villains, settings and things you worked to build on are taken over and they are just . . . . basically AU fanfic writing in stuff and they wonder why you don't just roll with it and then get upset and defensive or whiny when you tell them for a story to ROLL you need to feel immersion.

"Since when was my characters relative a villain? Where was this odd stuff you claim he somehow hid?" "When did my character meet yours as a kid for this flashback? I AM playing the person this pertains too yet I know nothing about it!" "If you're going to add history to this place/group maybe discuss it with the person who has a character that is heavily connected to it!" "Why do I see a lot of similar things to that movie you just asked if I ever saw? I'm not remaking my characters into some fan redo."

Players who only care about being powerful and achieving their power fantasies. My blood boils instantly when an OC has all the abilities and yet I have to stick with canon restrictions. I also am not a fan of OCS because of this, you know how fun the story is if people only wanna have their oc beat everyone and be with Bucky Barnes or some male or female character? Not really fun and it makes me want to hate the fandom for allowing powers and abilities that are op.

Big Brother Jack Big Brother Jack
I would say it’s not really a fandom problem so much as it’s a problem with reciprocity.

I feel like a lot of fandom roleplayers basically want to write fanfiction. They have this entire plot line in their head for their OC but they need someone else to help get it written down, which is fine but it’s not what roleplaying is about.

It isn’t just about one person getting to write out their fantasy while the other person just basically plays the supporting character. It should be a story both people are excited about.

So if you are going to do a canon x oc roleplay look for roleplays that list doubling as an option. You don’t have to actually double if you don’t want, but in my experience those are the people who are willing to make a story that both sides can enjoy.

Dude, the whole "I have a 'craving' I need to RP" has started to bug the shit out of me. I remember I asked here, literally a couple of months ago, what people thought the benefits of writing for RP vs "solo" writing were. A decent amount of the replies heavily implied people just couldn't bring themselves to do anything creative writing related without a partner... that sounds like a recipe for disaster, or like a depressive episode. Because when the partner has to drop the rp, it's no longer "Oh, too bad, but the memories/ideas were fun," it's, "My creative/cathartic outlet is gone now and my life is comparatively emptier."

grimmmy grimmmy in fairness I don’t think it’s “I can’t do something creative without a partner.”

Some people just do better with a sounding board. I am one of them, it’s not that I can’t be creative without partners it’s more that I need someone else to reign me in or I end up lost in minute details.

Case in point, I was attempting to construct a relatively simple school profile for a roleplay setting. It spanned into a side tangent about the history of a made up town the school is set in. That is by no means interesting or relevant to the plot at hand.

But if I am left to my own devices that is exactly the kind of random nerdy tangents I go on. I need someone else to help my prioritize the importance of details.

But it doesn’t have to be any specific person. If the roleplay I am working on now falls apart I am not gonna delete the setting I worked on. I will just save it as a part of my ever expanding headcanon for the roleplay universe and start work on my next project.

Big Brother Jack Big Brother Jack
I would say it’s not really a fandom problem so much as it’s a problem with reciprocity.

I feel like a lot of fandom roleplayers basically want to write fanfiction. They have this entire plot line in their head for their OC but they need someone else to help get it written down, which is fine but it’s not what roleplaying is about.

It isn’t just about one person getting to write out their fantasy while the other person just basically plays the supporting character. It should be a story both people are excited about.

So if you are going to do a canon x oc roleplay look for roleplays that list doubling as an option. You don’t have to actually double if you don’t want, but in my experience those are the people who are willing to make a story that both sides can enjoy.

Those people should honestly be just writing fan fiction since a lot of the time their pairings, canon x OC especially, are just wish fulfillment. Like, I have noticed that those seeking out canon x OC almost always want to be the ones playing the OC. That is a huge red flag for me and one reason why I personally only do OC x OC if I want to write a story in an already established universe.

Those people should honestly be just writing fan fiction since a lot of the time their pairings, canon x OC especially, are just wish fulfillment. Like, I have noticed that those seeking out canon x OC almost always want to be the ones playing the OC. That is a huge red flag for me and one reason why I personally only do OC x OC if I want to write a story in an already established universe.

In fairness the OCs aren’t always bad if they aren’t pre-made. Ex. “I want to pair X with my OC.”

Those are the ones that are basically me beta writing their fanfic.

If it’s just “I’m looking for someone to play X , Y, or Z.” Then I usually go for it because it’s usually they just really like the canon for whatever reason and want to explore their backstory.

Not a foolproof method but a good rule of thumb. Especially if there aren’t really a lot of Oc x Oc people in your particular fandom.

grimmmy grimmmy in fairness I don’t think it’s “I can’t do something creative without a partner.” Some people just do better with a sounding board.
that's fair, and i would argue everyone does better having people they can talk to. but that's also why people can join writing groups or just... talk to the people in their lives that'll support what they do.

i only think if you had a very specific idea for what you wanted out of that rp setting, i would personally feel less comfortable rping in that setting and more comfortable helping you develop that setting for a book or something.

that's fair, and i would argue everyone does better having people they can talk to. but that's also why people can join writing groups or just... talk to the people in their lives that'll support what they do.

i only think if you had a very specific idea for what you wanted out of that rp setting, i would personally feel less comfortable rping in that setting and more comfortable helping you develop that setting for a book or something.

Oh I don't. All my ideas are pretty open ended. Like the one I'm working on right now is literally just "An school exchange between two magical schools." Part of the fun for me is just seeing what my partners come up with in terms of magical education around the world. Which is again part of the draw. I would never be able to come up with a school in say Sweden or Sinapore or even Canada all by myself without having to do a lot more research than I'm comfortable with for a fun hobby. But if my partner gives me some ideas to bounce around from then I'm delighted to help flesh it out with them.

I think that's sort of where the disconnect is coming from. You seem to be assuming the people are talking about a very rigid sort of creation with a beginning middle and end. Most roleplay narratives aren't really built around a conclusion, they focus more on a journey. The journey might have arcs but it's not something that your ever going to look at as being completely finished. Unless you just get tired of writing it for whatever reason.

A beginning middle end narrative doesn't work in roleplay not because of a lack of creativity but because it's working against the format. You are rarely going to get a partner who is sticking around for the entire length of a story arc. So if that's what you want than absolutely you should be doing solo writing.

But again that's not "oh I lack creativity without a partner" it's "I'm trying to fit a round peg into a square hole and getting frustrated when it doesn't work."

You seem to be assuming the people are talking about a very rigid sort of creation with a beginning middle and end. Most roleplay narratives aren't really built around a conclusion, they focus more on a journey. The journey might have arcs but it's not something that your ever going to look at as being completely finished. Unless you just get tired of writing it for whatever reason.
it's not really assuming when people implied about as much, that they struggle with writing without a partner. i'm referring to my own experience just positing the question.

A lot of these comments are reminding me of when I RPed with someone who actually started telling me "Your characters are messing up my story!" Needless to say the RP wound up ending.

You seem to be assuming the people are talking about a very rigid sort of creation with a beginning middle and end.
I actually got contacted on deviantart by someone who laid out the first three "chapters" they wanted to play in an RP. I kid you not. And not like basic planning. They even said something along the lines of "You will play the female and can choose the name. You can pick her major personality as long as (yada yada). You can throw in your own things as long as we stick to the layout."

Like, seriously.

This all reminded me of a recent RP I had on another site. Someone wanted me to RP as Giovanni from Pokemon and they had all the stuff laid out for how he should act. I don't mind RPing as canon characters and I encourage use of headcanons because I love how people perceive them and how they should act. However, she originally wanted me to RP just Giovanni and she would RP her own character who would be his adopted daughter. I didn't mind that, but then she gave me a link to a story she had made about her character and Giovanni and how they met. I told her that we won't be doing this exactly because then my character would have to be a literal toddler with how I wanted to introduce him, which wasn't feasible at the time in the RP. She said it was fine and then I started.

Shit you not, she literally copy+pasted bits of her story in the RP and I felt obligated to do the same. So I had to change my character's age to that of a 5-year-old (and the introduction for him was supposed to be edgy so I just felt gross) and for several posts, we literally just did the beginning story to how she met Giovanni as a baby. I told her over and over again that this was just a rewrite of her fanfiction and that this isn't RPing. This was boring, I'm not satisfied, and I felt like I have to go through her fanfic first before we get to the actual RPing. She said sorry, but didn't do anything to remedy it after I gave her options. Which included we change the setting so we can actually RP because I didn't want to RP the fanficion out, or I just stop RPing with her because it was getting obvious that she wasn't backing down. She then asked me to see if we can do a Transformers RP and she wanted me to read another fanfic she made. I then told her that I was getting too filled with RPs and I didn't like that she was too stuck with trying to follow her fanfic instead of deviating from it. She said she was sorry. I saw the pattern and left.

While I had creative liberties with my character, it was stifling to try and add him in something that didn't make sense. While it is expected to not have a lot of creative liberties with canon characters, especially if you are RPing as them for someone, I felt stifled that I couldn't do anything that deviated from the fanfic.

Anyway, another thing she did and something I despise is when I'm gone for a day and they copy the last thing they post and then delete the post they copied, just to paste it and send it to me like I already didn't see it before (I make sure I tell all my RP partners that I won't be active every day and may make posts every other day to every week, but I'll try to be daily about it unless I'm suffering). I didn't tell her to stop though, but yea.

This all reminded me of a recent RP I had on another site. Someone wanted me to RP as Giovanni from Pokemon and they had all the stuff laid out for how he should act. I don't mind RPing as canon characters and I encourage use of headcanons because I love how people perceive them and how they should act. However, she originally wanted me to RP just Giovanni and she would RP her own character who would be his adopted daughter. I didn't mind that, but then she gave me a link to a story she had made about her character and Giovanni and how they met. I told her that we won't be doing this exactly because then my character would have to be a literal toddler with how I wanted to introduce him, which wasn't feasible at the time in the RP. She said it was fine and then I started.

Shit you not, she literally copy+pasted bits of her story in the RP and I felt obligated to do the same. So I had to change my character's age to that of a 5-year-old (and the introduction for him was supposed to be edgy so I just felt gross) and for several posts, we literally just did the beginning story to how she met Giovanni as a baby. I told her over and over again that this was just a rewrite of her fanfiction and that this isn't RPing. This was boring, I'm not satisfied, and I felt like I have to go through her fanfic first before we get to the actual RPing. She said sorry, but didn't do anything to remedy it after I gave her options. Which included we change the setting so we can actually RP because I didn't want to RP the fanficion out, or I just stop RPing with her because it was getting obvious that she wasn't backing down. She then asked me to see if we can do a Transformers RP and she wanted me to read another fanfic she made. I then told her that I was getting too filled with RPs and I didn't like that she was too stuck with trying to follow her fanfic instead of deviating from it. She said she was sorry. I saw the pattern and left.

While I had creative liberties with my character, it was stifling to try and add him in something that didn't make sense. While it is expected to not have a lot of creative liberties with canon characters, especially if you are RPing as them for someone, I felt stifled that I couldn't do anything that deviated from the fanfic.

Anyway, another thing she did and something I despise is when I'm gone for a day and they copy the last thing they post and then delete the post they copied, just to paste it and send it to me like I already didn't see it before (I make sure I tell all my RP partners that I won't be active every day and may make posts every other day to every week, but I'll try to be daily about it unless I'm suffering). I didn't tell her to stop though, but yea.
That sounds like a frustrating and tedious mess. Seriously. Why not just ask you to read the story and start after?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back