Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree with what you are saying. For me personally, I would like to see more 'climbing the ladder to success' when it comes to some common themes in survival roleplays. Much like Artyom in Metro (the games), he doesn't aquire the best equipment straight-away, there's the good old progression system of exploring, looting and trading. That's what I feel is often missing from alot of threads, 'progression'. Characters are created with an entire inventory of goodies and they've already reached the point where the reward is no longer worth the risk. Which isn't very entertaining...

Aye.

Okay so this might just piss off me a little bit but when you post an FC and the first thing is "Hey is that FC from (insert anime or person I have never seen before)" I mean yeah you might know where it's from but it's not like I go around looking at CS sheets and google reverse image searching them to figure out where they came from. AND I JUST FIND IT SO ANNOYING AND THEN IT MAKES YOU FEEL AKWARD WHEN YOU NEED AN OC. NOT EVERYONE CAN DRAW AS NICELY, EASILY OR HAS THE TIME TO DRAW LIKE A BOB ROSS. I mean it's great if you know where it's from I mean kudos to you but WHY DO YOU NEED TO TELL EVERYONE ELSE WHEN IT'S AN OC, I mean really?

Okay so this might just piss off me a little bit but when you post an FC and the first thing is "Hey is that FC from (insert anime or person I have never seen before)" I mean yeah you might know where it's from but it's not like I go around looking at CS sheets and google reverse image searching them to figure out where they came from. AND I JUST FIND IT SO ANNOYING AND THEN IT MAKES YOU FEEL AKWARD WHEN YOU NEED AN OC. NOT EVERYONE CAN DRAW AS NICELY, EASILY OR HAS THE TIME TO DRAW LIKE A BOB ROSS. I mean it's great if you know where it's from I mean kudos to you but WHY DO YOU NEED TO TELL EVERYONE ELSE WHEN IT'S AN OC, I mean really?

I've had this in the past but it's been the positive kind. 🤣

"Oh hey, is that face claim from Dragon Age Origins? Awesome! I love .. (blah blah)"​

I believe in my first group RP, I had used a certain.. lookalike.. :xFwink:
Kashnir.png
Honestly though, I don't see the issue with anyone using a FC that's from *insert title here*. As long as they look a fitting part of the world that the story is set in then that's fine with me. :P

That reminds me of the time I didn’t know who Demi Lovato (sp?) was and one of the other players actually had their character mention it.

Like “Susie looks just like Demi Lovato.”

I mean I laughed it off at the time, but looking back it was kinda a dick move.

That reminds me of the time I didn’t know who Demi Lovato (sp?) was and one of the other players actually had their character mention it.

Like “Susie looks just like Demi Lovato.”

I mean I laughed it off at the time, but looking back it was kinda a dick move.

Not gonna lie, if someone said I looked like Demi Lovato, i'd take it as a compliment.. :blowkiss:

Don't take it too hard. Some people just gotta bring their fandoms up no matter what. I even had people bring up what they think my characters look like they are from when I have had those pictures commissioned specifically.

Pretty sure it's happened to someone before:

Ghosting at the most ??? time.

Personally I don't really mind ghosting, I know it happens because life. I'm generally pretty nice and understanding about it but what gets me pissed is when you are at the beginning phases of the planning, you're hashing out the plot and all and the other person has sent you their OC sheet, it's all nice and well made so me being me I try to mirror what they give me and make mine look nice too.

As soon as I send them my OC sheet, all nice and prim (just for them really, like I actually MADE this OC for our specific RP). They gone. They just poof. They be like "Oh it's so nice!! I'll make first post now," No, doesn't happen. And then I'm like... what a waste of my effort and time.

Maybe my OCs are just not good enough for them or maybe I made crap ones but........??? (I'm actually pretty sure that's not the case cause one of them has not been on site for a while and the other I think just lost interest in the fandom but never bothered to tell me, still see him/her posting)

Communicate. Please. -_-

Pretty sure it's happened to someone before:

Ghosting at the most ??? time.

Personally I don't really mind ghosting, I know it happens because life. I'm generally pretty nice and understanding about it but what gets me pissed is when you are at the beginning phases of the planning, you're hashing out the plot and all and the other person has sent you their OC sheet, it's all nice and well made so me being me I try to mirror what they give me and make mine look nice too.

As soon as I send them my OC sheet, all nice and prim (just for them really, like I actually MADE this OC for our specific RP). They gone. They just poof. They be like "Oh it's so nice!! I'll make first post now," No, doesn't happen. And then I'm like... what a waste of my effort and time.

Maybe my OCs are just not good enough for them or maybe I made crap ones but........??? (I'm actually pretty sure that's not the case cause one of them has not been on site for a while and the other I think just lost interest in the fandom but never bothered to tell me, still see him/her posting)

Communicate. Please. -_-

At this point ghosting during planning I just see it as they realized they don't have time or lost interest and don't want to admit it. It can be annoying when it happens after they've shown off their characters first and we talk a bit about them. Then suddenly I show mine and they never even say anything.

Faster ghosting tends to happen once I show or remind them of my RP rules. Especially on DA people literally reply to RP ads without even reading them. Another instant ghost I notice is they mention a fandom to describe plot or characters and I tell them I never watched/played that show/game.

I just figure they saw we weren't compatible and didn't want to admit it. It's better to be ditched in the planning than before the RP actually starts in my opinion. Lately the most tedious part of an RP to me is writing a starter for some reason. I don't know why, once the starter is out of the way the RP can take off just fine usually. And only three people in the past year have wanted to write the starter. Most people want me too. I have so many starting posts that never even got a reply to them.

One only agreed to start to try to pull a bait and switch of plot to get me to play his characters mom.

Yeah I think the best thing I ever learned about roleplaying in general is to take absolutely nothing personally.

even things I find genuinely upsetting (like romanticizing trauma as some kind of cutesy quirk) I don’t take personally. I just tell my partner “Hey we aren’t compatible, bye.”

(Well with more words but ya get the idea)

okay so i'm not sure if it's just me who has experienced this but what makes me angry is when my roleplay partner asks me to be more detailed in my next post but when I add more detail in my next post, they up and ghost me without a word.

oh man, I could go OFF.

my two giant peeves that make me ghost are when 1) they act like all of the characters' thoughts and EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE revolves around their perfect female OC. like gurl. >.> it's soooo so pretentious and i hate it.

then 2) when there's NO creative contribution whatsoever? like they let me do all of the work? talk about ruining the fun for me.

also, i can't forget the honorable mention of: i OnLy PlAy FeMaLeS mY mAlEs ArE wEaK

giphy.gif

I absolutely loathe it when people make characters that go against the purpose of the rp.

For example, a while back I joined a MHA rp with the premise that we'd all play characters that had failed the entrance exam because they were too weak. But like 4/5 of everyone who joined insisted on playing characters that had passed the exam with flying colours only to be disqualified on account of a technicality.

I absolutely loathe it when people make characters that go against the purpose of the rp.

For example, a while back I joined a MHA rp with the premise that we'd all play characters that had failed the entrance exam because they were too weak. But like 4/5 of everyone who joined insisted on playing characters that had passed the exam with flying colours only to be disqualified on account of a technicality.

I never watched MHA but this sounds like if you did a RP from that Sky High movie saying you were all playing sidekicks most people would show up with someone with hero level powers.

A lot of people just can't stand doing weak. Also the issue is some of us like to RP premade characters. And while I am willing to accept that this means you have to be very selective of RPs and actually discuss RP ideas with partners some people just can't handle their character being left out because other people aren't flexible enough to throw out all their fun just for them. 🙄 I've seen this a lot on DA where people try to get me to RP with characters that break every rule in my prompt and try everything from guilt to bullying to acting like the whole world is just against them if you don't agree.

I had a ex friend back when I was still way too nice for my own sanity. They did this a lot as a control issue of some sort. The more they complained about life the worse our RP seemed to be and the more they complained of never finding a good RP. And they would always come complain to me when RPs failed. They actually had a complaint when I stopped our RP that to be happy they needed so many RPs going at once like it was an addiction instead of a game.

Basically in our RP their most interesting characters where actually the back up side characters. So I know they could have good ideas and play a RP ready character. But they were married to this main character that later when looking back I think was a fantasy self insert. He was so inflexible unless you played in their world and made up a character that he would actually be comfortable talking to. Basically clinging to a side character I had that got annoying as it was suppose to have some action in the RP and the side was just a freaking nurse. And before hand I literally showed him a list of my main characters and discussed plot and ideas ahead of time. It really got off to a good start and then suddenly stalled when my characters talked about themselves. Now they were unable to get along because they were different! His main was so stuck in his own head he couldn't grasp anything and would flip his S*** at anything they said different from his idea of normal! And it was a fantasy RP with no action unless it was protecting this guy who meta was said to know how to fight. His mind couldn't grasp stress of things out of the norm for him and someone else had to fight for him. Even though I would think in a world listing fire breathing monsters a dragon with fire magic shouldn't be that different! And despite a ton of criticism over others not being consistent in RP worlds their world was best described as whatever they needed to do to rail road into what seemed to be a comfort zone of the moment. If you didn't keep trying to be this recluses friend and were playing in their world suddenly things that happened before meant nothing and it stalled no matter how out of no where things were.

I hate when a partner won't move an RP unless a character does something flat out out of character, but to this person just moving an RP is making their character go 'out of character'.

And OOC they would complain all the time when they tried to throw this guy into every RP they found even slightly interesting. But other than the mental issues he had they also couldn't divorce them from their world they made. Or even accept him being sent to another world. And it often ended with them sending screen shots to show how unreasonable the other person was and I would look up the name of the other person and find their RP ads and like . . . yeah, mind sending a screen shot of the note where they agreed to change everything for this guy. Because going by the ad you're the unreasonable one. I told them that I found RPs by having a range of characters that could fit in many settings. They got upset by that, it had to be this guy! I tried to explain why groups were a really bad idea with pre made. Nope, they really wanted to try groups, their brother made it sound fun! I tried to reasonably explain that RPs were for the fun of the group and people can't be expected to change just for them and they blocked me.

Last edited:
Honestly I hate entitled people who try to play the victim or gaslight you into thinking YOUR the bad person.

I think they try to pretend like their inexperienced or anxious but there is a very big difference in behavior.

Genuinely anxious people are usually happy to take constructive criticism or they leave outright when they feel overwhelmed.

Entitled people will talk for days about how no one likes them and how everyone is so mean about the things they like. They try to act like the entire site is too elitist too hang out with them.

Yet whenever you look at their posts or interact one on one it’s clear they just want the whole world to revolve around them. They want to be pandered to while putting in (at best) the bare minimum of work.

And part of it is insecurity and a desire for escapism. I doubt people IRL like being told they have to cater to Ms/Mr Entitlement anymore than us online folks do.

But mostly it’s just people who don’t want to be held accountable for their actions.

I don't understand the trope: I only play females I can't write males. (its understandable if it's a preference)

females and males aren't different? you're just going to change the pronouns, you won't change the way your character acts, people don't act according to their gender tf?

When your roleplay partner basically stalks your PM and bumps you every 20-30 minutes for a reply.

Like.... please don’t do that. It’s creepy and I want to eat my food in peace please.

When someone joins a fandom rp without knowing anything about the source material, makes an oc and then gets arsey when told it doesn't fit the setting.

I'm not annoyed so much as baffled. 😂 Although I was a little annoyed that they got arsey

What is the thought process behind this?

I don't understand the trope: I only play females I can't write males. (its understandable if it's a preference)

females and males aren't different? you're just going to change the pronouns, you won't change the way your character acts, people don't act according to their gender tf?

It has to do with gender roles. What they really mean is I can’t write masculine stereotypes.

Which fair enough I can’t either. But I mostly just treat all my characters as gender neutral and change up pronouns as you said.

When someone joins a fandom rp without knowing anything about the source material, makes an oc and then gets arsey when told it doesn't fit the setting.

I'm not annoyed so much as baffled. 😂 Although I was a little annoyed that they got arsey

What is the thought process behind this?
How about the opposite of someone trying to push you to do a fandom RP or at least play in a fandom world. Then get fanatically upset when you really don't know the fandom well or care for the world rules.

It has to do with gender roles. What they really mean is I can’t write masculine stereotypes.

Which fair enough I can’t either. But I mostly just treat all my characters as gender neutral and change up pronouns as you said.
not all males are masculine and not all females are feminine, they're just disgusting stereotypes.

not all males are masculine and not all females are feminine, they're just disgusting stereotypes.

Well in fairness gender roles are “just the way things are”. We divide kids into “boys things” and “girls things” pretty much from birth.

So a lot of people don’t realize they are talking about stereotypes, they genuinely believe all men act X way and all women act X way.

I mean realistically I was well into college before I really challenged that kind of mentality consciously.

How about the opposite of someone trying to push you to do a fandom RP or at least play in a fandom world. Then get fanatically upset when you really don't know the fandom well or care for the world rules.

Nah the opposite is when there's an original RP in an original setting with all original characters, and someone submits Uzumaki Naruto as their character and gets annoyed when asked to read the lore document.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back