Viewpoint What you cannot stand in characters?

Jerkass characters.

Sure they can be done right and I've seen it done right but, a little problem, every time I make an rp everyone plays one! Variety people! Variety!

"My character is a bit anti social." Equals "WTF, why are you ending the RP. You only tried five to a dozen times to talk to my character! What do you mean this isn't working!"
As a psychology nut
This makes my eye twitch

effeminate male characters whose only personality trait is being cute n shy n crying bc they get bullied for wearing nailpolish. admittedly, there's nothing wrong w that stereotype and i'd never roll my eyes @ anyone who likes rp-ing it but it's so overdone !! like ffs just gimme me a j o c k boy who plays footie n has intense workout routines but also likes pastels and hair clips and clutches his pillow to his chest while talking ab his crushes over sleepover parties

Jerkass characters.

Sure they can be done right and I've seen it done right but, a little problem, every time I make an rp everyone plays one! Variety people! Variety!

This is a issue I see a lot. Not with just military characters but other kinds as well. Basically when a RPer gets so into a characters quirks that they become pretty much turn from a character to a cliche or obsession. And I have had some cases where I can't help but feel like something odd has gone from a over obsession with a trait to a full on fetish.

My character is a hardcore military, shoots first and asks questions later.
My character is a jerk wad or is non repentant.
My character is into some kind of thing that most people call a fetish but I try to make out is okay with flawed reasoning.
My character is a good guy but a 'dark and edgy good guy' who (insert villain behavior here)
My character is suffering from PTSD.
My character is a sweet and gentle cupcake and needs protected from bad things in the world.
My character can't control their power/emotional issue/quirk.
My character is obsessed over people/place/thing.
My character needs constant and unbroken comfort and friendship.
My character has a trigger temper and can lose their cool a lot.

The issue is in all these cases

A- The really big issue of it. They forget they are suppose to be role playing and this involves more people than them having fun. As someone who play 1x1 I have had so many times I've felt like the other person thinks I'm some kind of computer catering just to them. They have this 'craving'' to play this kind of character and they just really need to get them in a role play. If you try to tell them you aren't feeling the RP they either try to argue you into having fun or pretend to listen but not actually work with you just to get some more posts in. Or if you are lucky ghost you.

B- Plot, character reasoning and other important things for the other person is irrelevant. They tend to go on "Well, if you don't do this then the RP can't happen." So your character is suppose to just deal and not have any actual motive or consistency and put up with whatever. They want to play this type and the world is SO EVIL for not wanting to. As someone who literally plays to get into my characters head this is the most frustrating thing about these types.
Also, this shows in their character suddenly being able to do things they shouldn't be able to going on previous scenarios. And flimsy just because logic to explain it. Like how did someone who was to weak to open a door with a small level of debris near it suddenly be able to hold onto a character that was shown to have over average strength. How was a character who was so freaking naive of everything suddenly know something connected to previous naivety.

C- They tend to toss them into any role play they can get. And are not completely upfront about the character and how they play them. I assume because they figure no one will want to role play with them or the people that will are a lot like them. And I've come to notice that fetish/obsessed RPers often don't get along with many of their like minds.

"My character is a dark hero vigilante type." Equals "My character is (trigger censor) and is actually a villain and should be killed for such S***

"My character is young and not world experienced and needs someone to teach them how to really survive" Equals "I have no intention of making my character ever able to defend themselves. Please protect and comfort them ALL THE TIME"

"My character had a dark experience and is a bit cautious." Equals "My character is going to never overcome his PTSD and is in CONSTANT mental distress that will disrupt EVERYTHING you do to move the plot."

"My character is a jerk but actually a good guy." Equals "This whole RP is me walking all over and abusing your character, deal with it."

"My character is a bit anti social." Equals "WTF, why are you ending the RP. You only tried five to a dozen times to talk to my character! What do you mean this isn't working!"

effeminate male characters whose only personality trait is being cute n shy n crying bc they get bullied for wearing nailpolish. admittedly, there's nothing wrong w that stereotype and i'd never roll my eyes @ anyone who likes rp-ing it but it's so overdone !! like ffs just gimme me a j o c k boy who plays footie n has intense workout routines but also likes pastels and hair clips and clutches his pillow to his chest while talking ab his crushes over sleepover parties

I feel like all of these kind of stem from the same issue of "Oh man how am I going to define my character, oh I know I'll turn them into a walking stereotype without actually calling them a walking stereotype," rather than genuinely try to flesh out a character and their traits through effective writing. It's why I've stopped requiring writing out personalities on CS pages altogether because it squashes any creativity and need to write out a genuine personality when posting.

I feel like all of these kind of stem from the same issue of "Oh man how am I going to define my character, oh I know I'll turn them into a walking stereotype without actually calling them a walking stereotype," rather than genuinely try to flesh out a character and their traits through effective writing. It's why I've stopped requiring writing out personalities on CS pages altogether because it squashes any creativity and need to write out a genuine personality when posting.
That's honestly clever of you to do with the CSs

I was (still am in ) in this zombie apocalypse rp,this person down their oc as a mary sue. The oc had a secret bunker and knew how to use every weapon.She had no flaws that I could see

Last edited:
characters that don't fit the theme of the RP.

For example: I had written up a Martian wasteland setting, populated by the remnant generation of mining colonists nearly 70 years after the planet was abandoned by the companies that started the project. The setting was inspired by Mad Max and Total Recall (the original), and was meant to be a gritty, pseudo-apocalyptic survival RP focused on the feudal colonies and raider gangs. Very "trucks and guns" type of setting. It took me FOREVER to generate any interest in the idea, and when I finally got someone they made a character that was a Tae-kwon-do master that had his own dojo.

I was like... what. the. fuck? Are you serious???

Last edited:

For example: I had written up a Martian wasteland setting, populated by the remnant generation of mining colonists nearly 70 years after the planet was abandoned by the companies that started the project. The setting was inspired by Mad Max and Total Recall (the original), and was meant to be a gritty, pseudo-apocalyptic survival RP focused on the feudal colonies and raider gangs. Very "trucks and guns" type of setting. It took me FOREVER to generate any interest in the idea, and when I finally got someone they made a character that was a Tae-kwon-do master that had his own dojo.

I mean Fist of the North Star and Into The Badlands are all pretty fricking lit post apocalyptic stories with martial arts. Just need the right backstory and reason to be a martial arts master in an apocalyptic wasteland.

I mean Fist of the North Star and Into The Badlands are all pretty fricking lit post apocalyptic stories with martial arts. Just need the right backstory and reason to be a martial arts master in an apocalyptic wasteland.
Yes, he told me something about Fist of the North Star. Some old anime (I know nothing about). The setting wasn't on Earth, and the colonies were strictly blue collar work force. One of the reasons that I put the setting on Mars was because I wanted to shed the backdrop of cultures and civilization, and put in place the ones I had outlined in the lore. It was...extensive, and still a WIP. I outlined the technology available, and mutations that had occurred on account of the irradiated planet and chemicals from the mines. But if you were to read the whole thing, it really isn't leaning towards kung fu and karate chops. Like, I didn't understand where they got that.

To relate it to a different setting: It would be like running a fantasy RP based on Vikings, and then someone submits a Hashshashin.

Edit: I think they basically just saw the wasteland apocalypse lean, and were like... "I want to play a Kenshiro" (I had to look that up)

Edit, Edit: Here is part of the advert. I had to go track it down. lol Pretty much the roles I was looking to fill:
  • Raider ⭐ belonging one of the many small gangs that nomadically inhabit the regions around the colonies
  • Colonist of one of the prescribed habitations in the lore
  • Drifter that has eked out their own living, travels from colony to colony via trade routes
  • Exile from a colony, ousted from their clan but has not joined with a raider group

Last edited:
Yes, he told me something about Fist of the North Star. Some old anime (I know nothing about). The setting wasn't on Earth, and the colonies were strictly blue collar work force. One of the reasons that I put the setting on Mars was because I wanted to shed the backdrop of cultures and civilization, and put in place the ones I had outlined in the lore. It was...extensive, and still a WIP. I outlined the technology available, and mutations that had occurred on account of the irradiated planet and chemicals from the mines. But if you were to read the whole thing, it really isn't leaning towards kung fu and karate chops. Like, I didn't understand where they got that.

To relate it to a different setting: It would be like running a fantasy RP based on Vikings, and then someone submits a Hashshashin.

Yeah that's true. I think at the end of the day, the guy probably wanted a way to be a martial artist in the setting by any means necessary lmao. Which yeah is definitely in the category of out of place in the setting.

Yeah that's true. I think at the end of the day, the guy probably wanted a way to be a martial artist in the setting by any means necessary lmao. Which yeah is definitely in the category of out of place in the setting.
I mean, I try to do my best to communicate what I'm looking for. But after a while, I think it just gets long-winded and then people think I'm being too demanding. It's yet another reason why I'm not so keen on running my own settings. There's a good chance I might be too stringent for my own good. Anyhow... prolly getting too far off topic.

This is a thing me and a lot of people I talk to have dealt with. They want to play a certain character and look for literally anything that will slightly fit and don't pay attention to the overall rules. In worst case they also try to blow off any kind of protests by the one they are talking to about an RP. And in many cases no one wants a vampire in their historical setting. Or a anthro in their high school slice of life. Or a cyborg in their fantasy.

An ex friend of mine use to complain a lot about RPs that ended badly. Often screen shotting the scenes of the people having characters being unreasonable and showing me. The thing was after awhile I was realizing they had a toxic streak. I was loosing interest fast in our RP and when my replies got to only one or two a day do to not being given anything to work with they seemed desperate to let me know they needed more RP in the day to be happy. So I think to make me feel bad or shame me for loosing interest in their now un responsive character they would complain about all the failed RPs they were starting and screen shot them to show me. When they complained and started making fun of and griping about people I started looking up the people they were RPing with and found the ads. Often in the comments they would advertise their primitive tribal like character and explain them. And in more than a few cases the person would say they didn't fit. Then they would claim they would alter them. But then they would send these screenshots claiming the person was ignoring what they said about their character. (FYI all these RPs tended to be MODERN settings about abused children running away, abused woman running away. Someone being bullied in high school. Someone loosing his job and moving to his old neighborhood and meeting a friend. Not my kind of thing but I don't answer them to just mess with people either. They have a right to RP what they RP.)

So he's still searching for herbs and foraging . . . . in a park in a large city I guess?
So the person surprised he doesn't know what money is in a modern city is stupid?
He's never seen technology?
YOU ARE STILL MENTIONING YOUR FANTASY WORLD HE CAME FROM! WITH TALKING ANIMALS!

Sorry, but the people having a character assume you are playing an insane guy is not the one being unreasonable. You are also agreeing to a plot they made, as these "Help my abused character" prompts often outline a story and you are now forcing the main plot to be a fish out of water scenario.

This is a thing me and a lot of people I talk to have dealt with. They want to play a certain character and look for literally anything that will slightly fit and don't pay attention to the overall rules. In worst case they also try to blow off any kind of protests by the one they are talking to about an RP. And in many cases no one wants a vampire in their historical setting. Or a anthro in their high school slice of life. Or a cyborg in their fantasy.

An ex friend of mine use to complain a lot about RPs that ended badly. Often screen shotting the scenes of the people having characters being unreasonable and showing me. The thing was after awhile I was realizing they had a toxic streak. I was loosing interest fast in our RP and when my replies got to only one or two a day do to not being given anything to work with they seemed desperate to let me know they needed more RP in the day to be happy. So I think to make me feel bad or shame me for loosing interest in their now un responsive character they would complain about all the failed RPs they were starting and screen shot them to show me. When they complained and started making fun of and griping about people I started looking up the people they were RPing with and found the ads. Often in the comments they would advertise their primitive tribal like character and explain them. And in more than a few cases the person would say they didn't fit. Then they would claim they would alter them. But then they would send these screenshots claiming the person was ignoring what they said about their character. (FYI all these RPs tended to be MODERN settings about abused children running away, abused woman running away. Someone being bullied in high school. Someone loosing his job and moving to his old neighborhood and meeting a friend. Not my kind of thing but I don't answer them to just mess with people either. They have a right to RP what they RP.)

So he's still searching for herbs and foraging . . . . in a park in a large city I guess?
So the person surprised he doesn't know what money is in a modern city is stupid?
He's never seen technology?
YOU ARE STILL MENTIONING YOUR FANTASY WORLD HE CAME FROM! WITH TALKING ANIMALS!

Sorry, but the people having a character assume you are playing an insane guy is not the one being unreasonable. You are also agreeing to a plot they made, as these "Help my abused character" prompts often outline a story and you are now forcing the main plot to be a fish out of water scenario.

Yeah, this stuff is part of the reason why for a long time I only did Fandom RPs (the other being lack of interesting in anything else) Fandom groups seem to always agree on making characters related to the established setting, it's like an unwritten rule almost. I really only ran into this problem of people forcing character narratives when doing things beyond that genre especially in the Modern / Realistic section where there are people who definitely try pulling out some wild characters in the wrong setting.

CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters TPBx TPBx So this is especially common in modern? I wonder why that is? Personally, I stay away from modern. Probably a good thing, otherwise I'd run into even MORE frustrations. haha

CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters TPBx TPBx So this is especially common in modern? I wonder why that is? Personally, I stay away from modern. Probably a good thing, otherwise I'd run into even MORE frustrations. haha

My friends who like modern slice of life do tend to run into quite a few issues, yes. I've heard a number of complaints about people wanting to throw some fantasy race, special powered, shape shifter or anthro into what is suppose to be a realistic setting. The people into realistic high school or realistic cop/soldier settings really get a lot of odd requests. One basically ranted "If this is what they think realistic means they must be on drugs in their parents spare room all the time!"

My 'modern' RPs tend to be super hero so I can usually work around odd within reason. I've still had issues with people wanting things like a 4 story tall dragon that can't even fit in the city setting in a city type request. Or the person spamming everyone for RPs with their fifty foot woman. Talk about a character that doesn't 'fit' in a RP. LMAO

My friends who like modern slice of life do tend to run into quite a few issues, yes. I've heard a number of complaints about people wanting to throw some fantasy race, special powered, shape shifter or anthro into what is suppose to be a realistic setting. The people into realistic high school or realistic cop/soldier settings really get a lot of odd requests. One basically ranted "If this is what they think realistic means they must be on drugs in their parents spare room all the time!"
Personally, I always figured that Modern meant just a setting of nowadays, and slice-of-life pretty much denoted a day-in-the-life sandbox type of narrative. Neither of which are intrinsic to realism. On a side note, i wonder if realistic cop/soldier includes all the bullshit red tape and reports that have to be filed. lol

My 'modern' RPs tend to be super hero so I can usually work around odd within reason. I've still had issues with people wanting things like a 4 story tall dragon that can't even fit in the city setting in a city type request. Or the person spamming everyone for RPs with their fifty foot woman. Talk about a character that doesn't 'fit' in a RP. LMAO
I actually made a non-denominational super hero character at one point because I saw how popular the genre was. But I had so much trouble fitting her into anyone's setting that I just scrapped the whole thing.

Personally, I always figured that Modern meant just a setting of nowadays, and slice-of-life pretty much denoted a day-in-the-life sandbox type of narrative. Neither of which are intrinsic to realism. On a side note, i wonder if realistic cop/soldier includes all the bullshit red tape and reports that have to be filed. lol

I actually made a non-denominational super hero character at one point because I saw how popular the genre was. But I had so much trouble fitting her into anyone's setting that I just scrapped the whole thing.

From my own experience simply saying MODERN with no add on words does simply mean as in this time frame. Not historical or future or fantasy land. And Modern Slice of life is pretty much from what I've seen just a casual every day life. Kind of like a simple sitcom or everyday people TV show. And as for the whole red tape and report thing, I'm sure some people have tried it LMAO. I've had some people that I couldn't tell if they were trying to prove they know how things work or are just interested in such things, but they wrote out some rather long detailed stuff in a crime scene search.

Yeah modern just means (happens in a time period equivalent to our own). So Harry Potter and DC Comics are both modern stories.

Slice of life just means what it says. It is a roleplay going over slices of the characters life with very little plot. It’s just character driven stories basically.

I think the problem with realistic is it can mean “true to life” OR “grounded” depending on who you ask.

So if I say I want realistic fantasy, I just mean I want fantasy that is grounded in consistent logic.

Now if I see someone with realistic high school as a request I would assume they meant “true to life” but I would still double check. I learned pretty early on that definitions of words are not universal. So it’s always best to just confirm what you think something means instead of assume.

That said when there is an actual plot that clearly takes place in the real world without powers and you try some “but can my character be psychic bs” I just block you and move on.

nerdy tangents nerdy tangents Yeah, that is the problem with description words. With so many people coming from so many places and different sites you can find different meanings. Like lit, novella, and such I've seen to be taken as a description of length or a to mean reads like a written novel or literature piece and even people that take it to mean 'write well'.

Even the word DARK I've had most people just take it to mean things can get hardcore and angsty, depressing, gorey. But some have figured it meant supernatural or satanic.

So if I say I want realistic fantasy, I just mean I want fantasy that is grounded in consistent logic.
This was always my take on "realistic". because more often than not, I see a lot of RPs where the actions of the characters are definitely not on par with logical thinking.

*A giant dragon enters the king's chamber*

14 year old, knight's apprentice: "I unsheathe my sword and attack!"

bruh...

*A giant dragon enters the king's chamber*

14 year old, knight's apprentice: "I unsheathe my sword and attack!"
I have met real people dumb enough to do this so this is actual pretty realistic when you think about it.

I mean, there are some kids who are dumb enough to attack cops. Which may not be the best analogy but still.

I have met real people dumb enough to do this so this is actual pretty realistic when you think about it.

I mean, there are some kids who are dumb enough to attack cops. Which may not be the best analogy but still.

For my point it’s actually a pretty good analogy. As there is a big difference between :

- “My character lacks impulse control and the ability to properly assess danger”

- “I want my character to be a badass in this moment.”

One scenario is grounded in reality as it plays to the characterization of the character and how they would realistically react in the situation.

The other is just the player showing off how bad ass they think THEY (as in the IRL person) are.

where's the laugh emoji when you need it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back