Viewpoint What you cannot stand in characters?

Self-Inserts that are so self-inserty that when something goes wrong for the character the actual person gets pissy about it and throws a tantrum both on the RP thread and the OOC thread.

Passivity. Being boring in general. Even these 'hewwo, uwu' types are better than that because at least they're SOMETHING. I won't roleplay with a chara that has the personality of a wet blanket.

Passivity. Being boring in general. Even these 'hewwo, uwu' types are better than that because at least they're SOMETHING. I won't roleplay with a chara that has the personality of a wet blanket.
I experienced those except they're also super powerful reality warpers for some reason. I don't get it. And the CS basically says "PLEASE INTERACT WITH ME SO YOU COULD FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MY TOTALLY INTERESTING OC!" It's a weird thing.

I had an ex toxic friend once trying to get in on a RP I was debating on joining while some of us were talking in the lunch room back in the day. They weren't RPers. Or even writer. They kinda were the ones that if you talked about writing with them kind of got insulting. Always asking about ideas and then defaulting conversation to suggesting some show they watch as a plot for everything or going back to a dream they had about a girl and an angel.

On hearing plot ideas for the RP (not slice of life) She tried to keep butting in with low key hang out pots. And trying to push other things to do "After the RP". They tried to come up with a Angel character who had the power to cast love and friendship spells to stop people not getting along. So basically her power was everyone would live in friendship. She wasn't invited.

The look on people's faces on the "What else do you do after the RP. Oh, I have an idea."
1596637833790.png

Self-Inserts that are so self-inserty that when something goes wrong for the character the actual person gets pissy about it and throws a tantrum both on the RP thread and the OOC thread.

Sort of related when it’s low key obvious you are basically helping that person work through some personal issues around relationships.

I had one girl come to me with this convoluted plot that was just blatantly her being salty about some guy breaking up with her and me playing his proxy (and also an ex-friend) so that she could create an alternate reality were things went exactly as she wanted them to go.

And the whole roleplay was just clearly - I want to be the center of attention and make this rando person that hurt my feelings love me back.

Sort of related when it’s low key obvious you are basically helping that person work through some personal issues around relationships.

I had one girl come to me with this convoluted plot that was just blatantly her being salty about some guy breaking up with her and me playing his proxy (and also an ex-friend) so that she could create an alternate reality were things went exactly as she wanted them to go.

And the whole roleplay was just clearly - I want to be the center of attention and make this rando person that hurt my feelings love me back.
Oh god, reminds me of some backstage drama revolving around the gm of the first RP I joined on this sight but that issue was neither here nor there.

And people wonder why I tend to avoid OCs.

Oh god, reminds me of some backstage drama revolving around the gm of the first RP I joined on this sight but that issue was neither here nor there.

And people wonder why I tend to avoid OCs.

lol funny thing, this was with canon characters. I think the ex-friend might have been an original but everyone else was Canons. Granted they were acting in a way as to be essentially OCs but they were in an established universe using the actors as face claims.

lol funny thing, this was with canon characters. I think the ex-friend might have been an original but everyone else was Canons. Granted they were acting in a way as to be essentially OCs but they were in an established universe using the actors as face claims.
That sounds complicated. LOL

It's funny at first then the user started stretching the truth about me a lot now and digs up old drama during arguments about their writing and handling of characters. It's oddly toxic which is funny since they called me and fandom RPers toxic when the truly toxic one was them themselves.

But that's the nature of the internet.

Back on topic. I don't like "Heroes" with do horrible acts of violence and is somehow praised as wholly good.

I don't like 'military' characters. I find that they're played by someone who can only ever obsess over the military and want to be Badass™ and shoot guns without any emotional vulnerability whatsoever.

As someone who likes romance and slice of life, I don't like characters like that.

I don't like 'military' characters. I find that they're played by someone who can only ever obsess over the military and want to be Badass™ and shoot guns without any emotional vulnerability whatsoever.

As someone who likes romance and slice of life, I don't like characters like that.
Same! They also seemed to have an ego that thinks everyone else has an ego problem when shit doesn't go in the way of the Military Man™.

I hate it when the RPers get pissy that their military man™ can't beat an evil space wizard with a normal firearm.

As someone who likes action and adventure-oriented RPs, the kind of person to make the stock 'John Call of Duty™' man never seem to care about the greater story in any genre.
At least, this really specific kind of 'that guy' that you see all over the place.

I like to use a military type background for some of my characters (as in a fictional military not based on a real world one as I don't often play in perfectly normal earth.)

But I know what you mean. Instead of it being a part of the character that makes up and explains the thought process, skills and other character build things it is often something that becomes WOW POW COOL! My character is military WOW! My character is military and wholly omnipotent and invisible POW! My character is military and everything he says and does it COOL!

Oh man, you too?

I like to use a military type background for some of my characters (as in a fictional military not based on a real world one as I don't often play in perfectly normal earth.)

But I know what you mean. Instead of it being a part of the character that makes up and explains the thought process, skills and other character build things it is often something that becomes WOW POW COOL! My character is military WOW! My character is military and wholly omnipotent and invisible POW! My character is military and everything he says and does it COOL!

I agree with that. If it's like legitimate/the rp is about some military thing, and the character isn't like so awesome, then it's fine because honestly a topic such as military/wartime is pretty fun to roleplay out. However, like the second part, I've seen a lot of that. Honestly that's not even the worst. The worst is that a character that has military background is chasing/fighting someone who doesn't, and somehow, that other person is wayyy faster/fit/whatever than the former. If the latter is someone like pampered princess/normal civilian, how could she have such skills? It irks me so much. At least, the military person doesn't have to be able to catch whoever, as the other one can just hide/have enough wit/grab a gun and shoot. But being able to run across rooftops and jump from places to places? Impossible, and not cool at all. This is just making a character so overpowered. When the character has no background to back up the skills in any circumstances, not only military, it just makes the rp dull/unbelievable? I wouldn't want to continue with it. TnT

This seems to be a popular opinion. I agree, but only in ways. A good, proper military character who is actively serving should be heavily military-oriented to a degree. But I hate the types that are just terrible at it. They pontificate their narration to make them seem like broken, mysterious heroes, but they use their service and career accomplishments to bully people and strongarm situations - things soldier rarely do (if you're talking about a Z RP, yeah, they'll probably tell your sixteen year old LoL ranker with the katana strapped to his anorexic frame to sit down and stfu, lol). They offer up the intimate details of their tours and training too readily, too often - something else soldiers rarely do. I despise seeing this type coming at an RP and you can generally tell by the sheet detail if they are an armchair marine or someone who can walk the walk.

Last edited:
I agree with that. If it's like legitimate/the rp is about some military thing, and the character isn't like so awesome, then it's fine because honestly a topic such as military/wartime is pretty fun to roleplay out. However, like the second part, I've seen a lot of that. Honestly that's not even the worst. The worst is that a character that has military background is chasing/fighting someone who doesn't, and somehow, that other person is wayyy faster/fit/whatever than the former. If the latter is someone like pampered princess/normal civilian, how could she have such skills? It irks me so much. At least, the military person doesn't have to be able to catch whoever, as the other one can just hide/have enough wit/grab a gun and shoot. But being able to run across rooftops and jump from places to places? Impossible, and not cool at all. This is just making a character so overpowered. When the character has no background to back up the skills in any circumstances, not only military, it just makes the rp dull/unbelievable? I wouldn't want to continue with it. TnT
Honestly they romanticize it to a fetishistic degree that it's kinda insulting to the men and women that risk their lives to defend their countries..

You know what I mean, though, AndPeggy AndPeggy ?

In slice of life situations soldiers shouldn't be throwing the weight of their uniform around to strongarm the plot or other characters. But if the zombie apocalypse breaks out, I don't want to hear anything out of this kid except, "The beans are done."

036a698fb7f22cc79d1f20ce0624fe34.jpg

Sometimes you've got to know your part, and play it. People too often want to play a mouse and cry when the cats come out to play.

Honestly they romanticize it to a fetishistic degree that it's kinda insulting to the men and women that risk their lives to defend their countries..

Well I won't take sides, but if it's really extreme then possibly yes. I guess some people just want to see how it'll be, pairing up someone with a military background? But honestly, I've seen a lot just fantasize so much that it isn't a realistic "military" personnel anymore. It's just a character conjured up by their own desires and that character needs to be "omnipotent" or "cold/emotionless", when that's not true. Categorizing it within "Military affairs" is a tad insulting I suppose, if you look at it in one way. But on the other hand, if the roleplayers are doing it privately and they're just doing whatever they wish- as in, what they're craving- this isn't wrong at all, nor is it breaking any rules. I don't play much military characters as I think it'd only be right for me to research first, so I can't say much. But even then, if it's about a real person with military background that had gone through countless of battles, I'd probably not put romance inside if it's about war. Romance and war don't really go well, even more so if you're in the Military. As for the more normal ones like a modern society with peace, it might be possible, but then again, it depends on the roleplayers' views. People can whatever they want as it's their own desires/life, and we can't stop that. I'm not against characters with military background at all. It's the same for other genres; no one would like to play with an overpowered character or a character that switches personalities 100 times in a single post. I guess it's just because there's this thought that Military = cool, awesome, strong, cold, when that's not true for all cases.

Well I won't take sides, but if it's really extreme then possibly yes. I guess some people just want to see how it'll be, pairing up someone with a military background? But honestly, I've seen a lot just fantasize so much that it isn't a realistic "military" personnel anymore. It's just a character conjured up by their own desires and that character needs to be "omnipotent" or "cold/emotionless", when that's not true. Categorizing it within "Military affairs" is a tad insulting I suppose, if you look at it in one way. But on the other hand, if the roleplayers are doing it privately and they're just doing whatever they wish- as in, what they're craving- this isn't wrong at all, nor is it breaking any rules. I don't play much military characters as I think it'd only be right for me to research first, so I can't say much. But even then, if it's about a real person with military background that had gone through countless of battles, I'd probably not put romance inside if it's about war. Romance and war don't really go well, even more so if you're in the Military. As for the more normal ones like a modern society with peace, it might be possible, but then again, it depends on the roleplayers' views. People can whatever they want as it's their own desires/life, and we can't stop that. I'm not against characters with military background at all. It's the same for other genres; no one would like to play with an overpowered character or a character that switches personalities 100 times in a single post. I guess it's just because there's this thought that Military = cool, awesome, strong, cold, when that's not true for all cases.
They usually go for a more dude-bro mentality when talking about it and somehow acts snobby about it as if that makes it good writing.

They usually go for a more dude-bro mentality when talking about it and somehow acts snobby about it as if that makes it good writing.
We should probably point out that we don't think this is every military character on the site. Just the kind that romanticizes war by basically just being The Punisher or Rambo with the interesting bits trimmed away.
I've heard people who were looking for more grounded military stories being unable to avoid these kinds of characters in past threads.

We should probably point out that we don't think this is every military character on the site. Just the kind that romanticizes war by basically just being The Punisher or Rambo with the interesting bits trimmed away.
I've heard people who were looking for more grounded military stories being unable to avoid these kinds of characters in past threads.
We had our run ins with them in the past. They are just downright detestable.

When a character start flipping knifes in the corner of the room even though other players trying to rope that character into the group. I have the urge to flip that character.

What I hate most is sheets that have traits that are redundant, contradictory, or so generic to be meaningless.

"Introverted extrovert"
"Will do anything for their friends"
"Lithe but curvy"
"Bookish but worldly"

In slice of life situations soldiers shouldn't be throwing the weight of their uniform around to strong arm the plot or other characters. But if the zombie apocalypse breaks out, I don't want to hear anything out of this kid except, "The beans are done."

Sometimes you've got to know your part, and play it. People too often want to play a mouse and cry when the cats come out to play.
When a character start flipping knifes in the corner of the room even though other players trying to rope that character into the group. I have the urge to flip that character.

This is a issue I see a lot. Not with just military characters but other kinds as well. Basically when a RPer gets so into a characters quirks that they become pretty much turn from a character to a cliche or obsession. And I have had some cases where I can't help but feel like something odd has gone from a over obsession with a trait to a full on fetish.

My character is a hardcore military, shoots first and asks questions later.
My character is a jerk wad or is non repentant.
My character is into some kind of thing that most people call a fetish but I try to make out is okay with flawed reasoning.
My character is a good guy but a 'dark and edgy good guy' who (insert villain behavior here)
My character is suffering from PTSD.
My character is a sweet and gentle cupcake and needs protected from bad things in the world.
My character can't control their power/emotional issue/quirk.
My character is obsessed over people/place/thing.
My character needs constant and unbroken comfort and friendship.
My character has a trigger temper and can lose their cool a lot.

The issue is in all these cases

A- The really big issue of it. They forget they are suppose to be role playing and this involves more people than them having fun. As someone who play 1x1 I have had so many times I've felt like the other person thinks I'm some kind of computer catering just to them. They have this 'craving'' to play this kind of character and they just really need to get them in a role play. If you try to tell them you aren't feeling the RP they either try to argue you into having fun or pretend to listen but not actually work with you just to get some more posts in. Or if you are lucky ghost you.

B- Plot, character reasoning and other important things for the other person is irrelevant. They tend to go on "Well, if you don't do this then the RP can't happen." So your character is suppose to just deal and not have any actual motive or consistency and put up with whatever. They want to play this type and the world is SO EVIL for not wanting to. As someone who literally plays to get into my characters head this is the most frustrating thing about these types.
Also, this shows in their character suddenly being able to do things they shouldn't be able to going on previous scenarios. And flimsy just because logic to explain it. Like how did someone who was to weak to open a door with a small level of debris near it suddenly be able to hold onto a character that was shown to have over average strength. How was a character who was so freaking naive of everything suddenly know something connected to previous naivety.

C- They tend to toss them into any role play they can get. And are not completely upfront about the character and how they play them. I assume because they figure no one will want to role play with them or the people that will are a lot like them. And I've come to notice that fetish/obsessed RPers often don't get along with many of their like minds.

"My character is a dark hero vigilante type." Equals "My character is (trigger censor) and is actually a villain and should be killed for such S***

"My character is young and not world experienced and needs someone to teach them how to really survive" Equals "I have no intention of making my character ever able to defend themselves. Please protect and comfort them ALL THE TIME"

"My character had a dark experience and is a bit cautious." Equals "My character is going to never overcome his PTSD and is in CONSTANT mental distress that will disrupt EVERYTHING you do to move the plot."

"My character is a jerk but actually a good guy." Equals "This whole RP is me walking all over and abusing your character, deal with it."

"My character is a bit anti social." Equals "WTF, why are you ending the RP. You only tried five to a dozen times to talk to my character! What do you mean this isn't working!"

"My character is a dark hero vigilante type." Equals "My character is (trigger censor) and is actually a villain and should be killed for such S***

"My character is young and not world experienced and needs someone to teach them how to really survive" Equals "I have no intention of making my character ever able to defend themselves. Please protect and comfort them ALL THE TIME"

"My character had a dark experience and is a bit cautious." Equals "My character is going to never overcome his PTSD and is in CONSTANT mental distress that will disrupt EVERYTHING you do to move the plot."

"My character is a jerk but actually a good guy." Equals "This whole RP is me walking all over and abusing your character, deal with it."

"My character is a bit anti social." Equals "WTF, why are you ending the RP. You only tried five to a dozen times to talk to my character! What do you mean this isn't working!"

Oh gosh, I really relate to these. I've been in so many rps like this that it became so frustrating. All these are just something that I cannot take. At first, I still try to engage with them. But after a while of suggesting nicely that they should try to change their character a little in order for the interaction to be easier, I gave up. Especially the last one, I've tried so many times. Those characters are just so passive and you've got to be the one to walk up to them. And when you do, it's a straight up rejection like. "I'm a refrigerator that constantly expels cold air that says 'stay the f away from me'". There's no character development at all, and it's infuriating to always have to initiate things, while the other player just simply responds to your post. Like. Hello? I'm not a machine that can generate ideas in one second. You'd be the only one contributing to the roleplay and the plot just stagnates. And when the other person's character has a PTSD that they make sure to mention in every single sentence that is in their post, it gets to the point where it becomes annoying. Having their character seem pitiful in every single scenario that you think of, and needing someone to comfort them every one minute is just ugh. With the overpowered thing, I've been giving in too many times to count. There'd be a combat scene, and then we be dueling for a day with no one giving in. In the end it's me who concedes because I have no intention of prolonging it anymore.

"Oh my character can easily bite your arm without you seeing them doing so and dodging at all."

If that happens, I'd be mad as heck. Is your character a god or do you think my character is an idiot who lets people randomly hit them for no reason?

This happens so much in 1x1 roleplays. However, there are of course good roleplayers with their characters out there- it's just this very small group that frustrates me. This is just my opinions though, and if there are people out there who loves these kind of roleplays, I wouldn't judge at all; different people have different tastes and point of views.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back