Viewpoint What you cannot stand in characters?

Just...any self insert. When the creator of the character is clearly making themselves, and are bringing their own neuroses and issues along. I care about people, but I'm looking for a fun, easy-going experience. I don't want to counsel you. I don't want to be a part of your psychological playground.
im always open to hear out a friend ofc

I think it's probably been said here already in some form or another, but I dislike when people make their characters extremely powerful, especially if this hidden skill or power is a secret and has to be revealed via some drama within the course of the rp. I'd much rather see a character grow into someone who's skilled rather than have it revealed in an "Ah-ha!" moment later on. Characters who you know will always win the fight, always come out on top, or always get their way are boring.

Also: Exotic pets who don't fit the setting or genre. It doesn't matter if you have a whole elaborate backstory about how your character saved her pet tiger from the black market and now they share an unbreakable bond. Read the room.

A character with an on running joke that tends to show up so often it seems to be the only reason they exist. As in the player tends to literally disrupt major events with it.

I really, really hate characters based on the seven deadly sins.

They're always the exact same thing. Like, a character based on lust will always be a sexy lady that does a lot of flirting and gluttony will inevitably be represented by a fat guy who eats a lot.

I get that complaining that characters based on a singular personality trait end up a bit samey sounds pretty dumb, but there are so many other interpretations of the seven deadly sins that could offer some nice variety.

I low-key get annoyed when I'm playing my male twin in a romantic roleplay and the female oc that I'm partnered with is constantly a damsel in distress.
Like a Bella from Twilight, can't do anything for themselves, bland but still a Mary Sue kind of character.
It gets old very quickly.

They're always the exact same thing. Like, a character based on lust will always be a sexy lady that does a lot of flirting and gluttony will inevitably be represented by a fat guy who eats a lot.

I get that complaining that characters based on a singular personality trait end up a bit samey sounds pretty dumb, but there are so many other interpretations of the seven deadly sins that could offer some nice variety.

On one hand, I don't mind them too much. Sometimes you got Envy turning into a giant sea serpent because Leviathans are cool and shit.

On the other hand, what you said is precisely why I avoid RPs SPECIFICALLY centred around Deadly Sins and Virtues with characters to embody them and kick each others' asses.

Wow, his is actually triggering to read this early. One of my earliest worst case scenario online partners decided they were into the seven deadly sins as RP idea.

We were only RPed for a couple weeks or so and I was already two steps away from telling them I was done. Today I would have searched the account and likely on seeing what I did later not even given them time of day. And had I started the RP ended it much sooner. They had a lot of toxic RPer issues. In fact this is the RPer that got me into a discussion of online predator scammer warning signs with a friend who has family help detect people who act like this for darker reasons than attention.

They asked way to many questions OOC about exact details to my personal life.
They had a myriad of 'unhappy' issues they spouted off OOC like crazy.
They kept trying to inch past rules to see how far they could push me.
He focused on a minor character of mine who had mental issues. (he was a side because he couldn't carry a story himself) Reading back over things later I realize he was looking for these issues in me like the character was an outlet. (he was for playing off another character)
They kept hinting at a house bound not responsible for themselves mental disorder to seem innocent for an excuse to anytime they tried to break my rule. But their writing skill and was perfect.
They started acting like they wanted to meet me IRL and even would twist anything I said to act like they thought I needed them.

"I can't be online at all times. I have things to do around the house. Don't spam me for a reply it makes me not even want to answer."
"I'm so sorry. I just worry about you. I wish we were closer so I could come help with your work."

So once I got mad and commented it wasn't working they chilled a bit and really wanted me to lead the RP. I stupidly decided to see how that went and it was fun for a few days but they started getting weird. They were trying to start a group RP with the seven deadly sins each trying to make an army. I said no. My only group RP attempt online thus far sucked. And I was still not committed to keeping this person as a partner. Plus is had some anti my religion bits.

So suddenly as my RP was getting into a heavy villain info reveal moment he wrenched it away., destroyed the setting making the sins appear and turning the populace who were kind of important for my side of the plot into their army. I don't even remember what all the transformations were. Because he focused on lust who only turned men into big breasted outgoing woman who were horny.
And they were warning my side character who wasn't even in the scene before that he was the type they liked to transform.

I lost my SH** . Telling him to F*** off because I already said no to this plot and he frankly just pretended he liked my plot to unveil this one. And that I had no second chances on the no sexual theme rule that was set. They tried to say he realized he messed up but really laid on heavy he didn't think the whore army was pushing the no sexual theme rule. he kept them tame. I stopped stopped rplying to him. Later he tried a pity message apologizing and telling me he got sent to a group home with no internet.

He has an alternate account made right after he stopped replying on his old.

A character that makes absolutely no effort to interact with yours. Now, I'm totally not saying never write an introvert, shy, or society-loathing character. But there'a a difference in a character having a lonely comfort zone or doesn't want to speak versus on purposefully making someone else's character chase after them. One time I was in a rp and it took probably two pages for my character to finally catch up to them just to have a small, barely responsive conversation. And this happened a lot, to the point where I just didn't know how to respond most of the time. Like, how am I supposed to get my character across town to your specific location???

A character who is obviously created with one single plot in mind. Not to say that a character can't have a single dominating goal, but sometimes it's just obvious that a character has been made to follow a very concrete storyline without any deviations, which just makes me question... why not write an independent work for them then? I don't like characters that can't exist as themselves without sticking to a "script". No adaptability means no potential for anything fun.

While I actually have a controversial opinion on self-inserts and mary sues (which is that some of them actually don't bother me, especially in terms of self-inserts I don't mind them.) It's the lazily written characters that annoy me. For example:

"Traits: nice, kind, friendly, shy, sarcastic."

Okay, so this character sounds like a bland cutout with, sadly, no character. I find that characters with fleshed-out personalities are so much better to write with.

And also:

When they are a species that does not fit the canon universe at all, in a canon based roleplay. While this is fine for an Alternative Universe, I hate this for canon because it makes writing a roleplay based on a canon timeline harder to do, since I cannot see that character fitting into the story at all.

My biggest frustration with characters is the ones that skip character development and are just naturally amazing at anything without fail. And the ones that are nearly dying in every fight scene. Combining those two into one character is beyond annoying to me since they contradict one another.

I can’t describe it well but if it’s clear the person is just like making a Frankenstein creation from their favorite characters. It’s not an exact match but all these random traits that don’t go together but are clearly something the writer thinks is cool.

I can’t describe it well but if it’s clear the person is just like making a Frankenstein creation from their favorite characters. It’s not an exact match but all these random traits that don’t go together but are clearly something the writer thinks is cool.
It's a method that works if you know what you're doing.

• Mary Sues
  • Gary Stues
  • Pointless focus on alternative gender labels (if it's not a romance RP, it doesn't matter)
  • Pointless focus on sexual orientation (same as above)
  • No parents cliché
  • Lone wolf warrior cliché
  • Experience beyond their years: i.e. 18 years old and has mastered multiple, unrelated fields
  • Repackaged hero from (movie, video game, book)
  • Divine creatures: Angels/demons/gods/etc
  • Furries
  • Overabundance and/or focus of magic. A little is fine, a lot is a no go
    • ^ Interchangeable with powers/superpowers
  • Anime characters
  • Canon characters
  • Romance

Last edited:
For me it's a lot of stuff. I believe I posted here before, but I know for a fact it was watered down, PC bullshit for the sensitive masses of impressionable heads. So many things about characters and the conductors behind them make me physically and spiritually sick for those who have to work with them each and every day, often within the framework of their own projects.

1: The Plug & Play Paradox
Nothing worse than that character that just doesn't quite fit, feel or look right. The one who didn't really come in with clear, cohesive, relevant motives and goals. The one who has no real affiliations or connections to anyone or anything in the setting or plot. Sometimes no identity within the plot or setting. The ever elusive, awkwardly enigmatic, Plug & Play Paradox.

This is a character that was created as a singular entity. Just a concept occupying dead space. Why is this a flawed way of creating characters? Because characters do not define stories. Stories define characters. They are built from within the plot. The plot shapes this person based on what it needs from them, and what they end up needing from the plot. It's a relationship for god's sake. Like please, please realize this before your run with RP is done. Have a great character you love so much you could just explode into anime hearts that consume and suffocate the entire universe? Awesome, welcome to the club. Grow up and tell a good story with it, then make a new one.

2: I'll Sue You For Everything You're Worth
All three accepted major aspects of Sue/Stu

1: Impossible range of skills, knowledge, connections and resources (being too skilled in one area is not being a sue, it's being OP. Take yourself to school).

2: Lack of weaknesses or flaws.

3: Ability to learn, adapt, and master skills with unrealistic speed and efficiency.

3: Wax In, Wax Out
People who think their characters can fight well, but have a sub-newbian understanding of technique, anatomy and rudimentary physics.

Enough said, because I could go all day on this one.

4: The Drama Llama
"I value my creative space and adore spontaneity. I'm hair-trigger picky, moody, and I get severely jealous of other characters."
RYQ7.gif

I can deal with almost anything else. These four things dominate the medium now.

Oh, I forgot to mention the characters that have stupid and contrary personality trait:
"He is shy and reserved, except when his friends are in danger. Then he will do anything to keep them from danger",
Which is usually in the same personality description as:
"They are very standoff-ish, and are unlikely to trust anyone. However, they are fiercely loyal to their friends".

These things just look very poorly thought out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back