Experiences What/Who is the single worst OC you've ever encountered?

A guy's character could use fire with no explanation at all not even a consequence of having such power in a slice of life setting. The character could speak another language and the dude for whatever reason thought it would be cool to use google translate to put up a bunch of words that were clearly wrong. Three posts in his character told mine, out of the blue, he had connections to drug dealers. He then asked if she wanted to have his children even though they didn't even know one another. He had names picked out too.

To me, the worst OC(s) aren't really individual characters because the characters are innocent. The worst OC's are what they are because of the player. And the worst players I've encountered are the ones who literally copy-paste the same character regardless of the RP's genre, time period, worldbuilding, etc.

There's having an OC you're fond of, and then there's this. Like, bruh. C'mon. You don't have to make a new character every time. But at least try not to copy and paste from the last RP they were in. Add something new to them to fit the new RP.

Anyway, the players who most commonly provide OC's who I consider "bad" because of the players responsible for them are most commonly the "loner" type characters. More specifically, they're the ones whose backstory keeps evolving as they go because they have to be the character with "the most fucked up" background of anyone in the cast. So they keep making up new and more pathetic or abusive details about the history while pretending that it's always been that way even though they've never once said anything about it or even hinted at it. And when you catch them doing this and making contradictory events in their lifetime and point it out, they'll instantly get defensive and try to BS their way through the conversation.

Another problem with this trope and archetype is that the bad writers out there who use it will always avoid their character changing or learning along the way. Even when something happens that should very obviously have affected them in a positive way and at least made them think a little bit, they ignore it. I remember one instance in an RP I was running a few years back on another site that one participant who was using this trope actually had their character romantically involved (meaning there was a fade to black sequence) with the hottest and sweetest girl in the cast, and she made it obvious before the fade to black that she'd fallen for him despite his loner ways. So how is it that this guy could still believe that nobody could or would ever care for or love him after that just happened?

There's being stubborn. There's being dense. But this is neither of those two. This is the player either not knowing how to let their character evolve and start inching their way towards a positive change. Or they're ignoring it because they don't want them to change. And in the end, just because you don't want them to change doesn't mean they shouldn't or that they don't want to themselves. What we want as the players is not the will or desires of our characters. So this is an unfair detriment to the character in question who, unfortunately for them, never developed beyond what the player wanted which was for them to remain as they were.

And when the chick they slept with fell out of love with them and left, the player got really upset and basically went on a tirade in the OOC demanding to know why that happened. The player who was responsible for her said "Your character kept avoiding her despite her attempts to get close. And she's not about that. She can't love someone who doesn't show that they love her back. So she moved on from him."

And they couldn't understand why this was the case. They thought the player of the girl would just keep her interest until the end and that they'd end up together when it was all said and done. But no. That's not how people work whether it's on the page or off.

Anyway, I've rambled long enough about this. Lol.

So yeah. The worst OC's are the ones who are controlled by weak writers who either don't know how to let their characters be themselves and evolve with time, or who just ignore it because they are forcing their own will for the character to remain within their trope no matter what happens IC.

Cheers!

I’m not sure if this counts as the worst OC I’ve encountered but it’s still infuriating. This was a walking dead rp, her player would try to shove down our throats how kick ass her soldier character was but in other posts would put them into dangerous situations that would get Daryl and her killed. It was getting to the point of being pathetic, and the infuriating part was I admit I did make Rick do something that’s ooc.

I wouldn’t still be angry over if they played their canon characters well and didn’t outright call me out icly. I looked at old rps this chick was in and she has a tendency to recycle those damsel in distress plots. Did I mention she used Glenn to tell how her OC is meant for Daryl? I’m not joking. I still laugh and rage over that.

I had a bad encounter on another website. It was mainly a wacky family roleplay with mostly happy albeit dysfunctional.
Had this one person join in a little late but that was okay. Not for sure what their role was but it was all good.
(Fyi, this might work for you, might not, but join in as a kid. You don't need to understand too much of the family's history until you age up, until then you can have fun or people could explain stuff to you like you were a kid so it's not too complicated, but ask the love interests if that's even a possibility for them before rushing in all bundled up.)

I think they were my babysitter's girlfriend in the roleplay. Well, when they shared the news of the two expecting almost everyone was very happy to see them together and it would be like my kid character getting a brother or sister after being the baby in the family for so long. Well, it didn't happen.

The writer had a phase of going crush to crush, every month if we were lucky. They would get one every week and change their love interest. Well, it was bye bye babysitter and hello Jack Skellington™ from Nightmare before Christmas. They dumped him and said, 'She had amnesia' and that she was the pumpkin queen. All of those hours meant nothing to them , but that wasn't the worst of it.

THEY CHANGED THE BABY'S GENES WHILE THEY WERE PREGNANT! Like, it was no longer his baby. He can't even visit the child. I even tried to reason with them and that maybe she could have Jack and their boyfriend's baby at the same time, but no. He was heartbroken his partner left him and when he felt sad, that kid felt even worse. It was like a miscarriage, losing a sibling.

Oh, I have many, many stories about this (as I was unfortunate enough to stumble around other places looking for roleplay before this one). There's a few that are fun to throw out...one person in particular was atrocious. One of our player's characters died, and she happened to be the established wife of another. This is fine and we're all moving along, and he decides that it's his time to finally "get his romantic arc"...by hitting on a widow whose wife died yesterday (at least in the roleplay time.) I'm all for flawed characters. This is a ballsy move but respect right? But after he gets the 100%-expected backlash of "Why would you think this is okay" he begins arguing in the OOC. Making a huge deal about it and why it was totally-super-justified-just-let-him-have-it-dude-stop-being-a-prude.

Anyways, after that, he derailed us further from the intended plotline by giving said character cancer. For, y'know...pity-points. While this isn't the WORST character (that one being someone who used Autism as an excuse to write a do-no-wrong impulse driven atrocity of a self-insert) I think this is the most obnoxious and funniest one I've seen.

I'm having far too much fun reading these. That means it's time I contribute.

...good lord where do I even start with this?

If I absolutely had to pick one, it would probably be this: a very long time ago, I took part in Roleplaying on this site called Amino. Yes, it's technically an app, but you can view some of the stuff via a browser. Same shpiel. Anyway, I got into this seemingly really cool SciFi action-y RP with a few other strangers. Now, when it comes to SciFi - and I'm almost ashamed to admit it - I almost always play as some sort of conscript. He doesn't necessarily want to be doing what he is, but money is tight, and he's got people he needs to keep safe. You do what you gotta do, y'know?

I'm fully willing to argue that my character was pretty shallow - he was. I was like 12 when I made him, and since then, I've tried reimagining him several times over to make him substantially less cringe. Great success on my part! But this story isn't about me, no no: this is about "Leo." (placeholder name)

Now Leo... he was the cream of the cringe crop in this RP. He was absolutely determined to the be anime isekai protagonist of this story. With a Face-claim literally ripped from Sword Art Online, attacks literally mirroring whats-his-face-i-haven't-seen-the-show-but-he's-the-cover-character, and a spaceship that just looks like a pair of fucking scissors if you squint at it really hard, I think it goes without saying that this guy was impossible to reason with. Here's just a little taster:

Me: Pretty sure swords can't block bullets on their own bro, you'd need the reflexes of a literal god to pull that off.
Leo: He is a god
Me:
Me: what.
Admin: dude what no, I didn't approve this
Leo: He survived 30 years in the Alicorn Wars, it says so right there, he's basically a god
Admin: *sigh of relief*
Me: *reading his CS* wait then how the hell is he 17
Leo: genetic modifications so he can't age.
Me: O...K... why was he given total control of the region that my character's from
Leo: because he saved them and they owe him a great debt
Me:
Me: Did you even read the lore
Leo: No?

I didn't even last a full 24 hours in this RP. Apparently the guy who ran it eventually booted him and did a hard reset. Didn't invite me back tho, I must've been too shallow ;-;

As for Leo? This could be wishful thinking but I think he got banned from that community later for fighting one of the moderators. At least, that's my headcanon.

Oh I forgot this one it was supposed to be an OC for a full metal alchemist rp. Apparently after losing her parents she was found by Envy who cared enough for her that he checked up on her periodically. The chick is part of the military supposedly in canon timeline, never mind that would mean she’s friendly with the enemy.

And that would mean the woman would be the enemy of the Elric brothers, Roy and his group if it was found she’s fraternizing with the homunculus. Not to mention it’s out of character of Envy to care for humans other than the homunculus.

I'm sure I've seen more (and worse), but two from my early roleplaying days always stick out to me.

There was a pretty active rp community on one site I frequented in middle school, mostly a bunch of 11-14 year-olds. One guy was pretty infamous because no matter the setting, plot, or people involved, he would always play some variation of a creepypasta, internet lore, videogame-esque character? He would just send in some weird character form (odd name, faceclaim some kind of weird mask or buff videogame-looking guy) and write NOTHING that had to do with what was going on. Like, he'd just drop his character in and make him say and do some cryptic thing or give him a wildly overpowered move. I vaguely remember one instance where there was some sort of conflict we were all building up into a big confrontation scene, then this thirteen-year-old throws in some masked muscle man who punches the antagonist and ends the whole thing. I kid you not, it didn't matter WHAT kind of rp it was, he'd show up with one of these mfs absolutely unchanged for the setting (one was a high fantasy and a few others were high school). I personally started marking any rp I created as ATJ, but in open ones we pretty much just had to ignore whatever it was he wrote because he would try to make the plot into his own thing or completely shut down any important conflict we had going on with something ridiculous like machine guns or special attacks. My friend politely turned him down in an ATJ once and told him why she didn't accept him, and he was pretty confused why none of us liked the stuff he did.

Another was this girl who had a blind character who just showed up at the scene crawling toward the characters yelling, "WHO'S THERE, I CAN'T SEE." None of us were really sure how her character had even gotten there in the first place.

Another was this girl who had a blind character who just showed up at the scene crawling toward the characters yelling, "WHO'S THERE, I CAN'T SEE." None of us were really sure how her character had even gotten there in the first place.
This reminds me of multiple instances where people have introduced their characters in a very disjointed way, and then get all pissy in the OOC because no one is RPing with them. Granted, most group RPs wind up having the characters pair up in convos (sometimes in triplicate, but usually just a pair). But when you just jam your character into the scene like a square peg in a round hole, you can't exactly expect everyone to drop what they were accomplishing in their narrative to accommodate you.

I'm sure I've seen more (and worse), but two from my early roleplaying days always stick out to me.

There was a pretty active rp community on one site I frequented in middle school, mostly a bunch of 11-14 year-olds. One guy was pretty infamous because no matter the setting, plot, or people involved, he would always play some variation of a creepypasta, internet lore, videogame-esque character? He would just send in some weird character form (odd name, faceclaim some kind of weird mask or buff videogame-looking guy) and write NOTHING that had to do with what was going on. Like, he'd just drop his character in and make him say and do some cryptic thing or give him a wildly overpowered move. I vaguely remember one instance where there was some sort of conflict we were all building up into a big confrontation scene, then this thirteen-year-old throws in some masked muscle man who punches the antagonist and ends the whole thing. I kid you not, it didn't matter WHAT kind of rp it was, he'd show up with one of these mfs absolutely unchanged for the setting (one was a high fantasy and a few others were high school). I personally started marking any rp I created as ATJ, but in open ones we pretty much just had to ignore whatever it was he wrote because he would try to make the plot into his own thing or completely shut down any important conflict we had going on with something ridiculous like machine guns or special attacks. My friend politely turned him down in an ATJ once and told him why she didn't accept him, and he was pretty confused why none of us liked the stuff he did.

This really sounds like a guy who would play robot characters in everything.

This rp never went far (the other person ghosted me pretty quickly) but their oc was just...angry. now I dont mind angry characters if they're done well enough but this one just didn't sit well with me. Kinda glad the person ghosted me shortly after. Its one of the few times I'm actually okay with ghosting lol

I don't feel great about calling out other people's characters, but I CAN absolutely provide some of my worst from middle school DeviantArt RP for entertainment value:
  • Vampire guy who was ~1000 years old. He was a pretty nice guy and afraid of drinking blood, so he had an evil split personality (Don't worry - I'm very aware now of how offensive this is to folks with DID) who would take over and do it for him. Then I revealed that the evil personality formed because in the middle ages, people would just lock up vampires in cages for years?? And the evil personality (whose name, of course, was Red) was actually a good guy who formed to spare the main personality the trauma of being locked in a cage and tortured, but he was still really violent and iNsAnE anyway. Insert Shadow the Hedgehog OW the EDGE meme here.
  • This was for a RP set in a virtual world, so all our characters had both in game personas and real life identities. When talking to his online friends, my character would often cryptically reference his roommate, having limited computer time, and encounters with staff and nurses... because he was a pyromaniac who was addicted to setting things on fire so he permanently lived in a mental hospital. YEAH.
  • Pokémon trainer who was fused in an evil experiment with a Kirlia, so she had the little horn things on her head, psychic powers, and could communicate with Pokémon. This was actually for a fanfic, so I made Team Aqua the good guys and had her join them.
  • This was for a RP based on an anime set in Japan (Kamichama Karin specifically, so yes she also had god powers) - a girl who was an "idol" in America before immigrating to Japan. Conveniently, she spoke perfect Japanese, was beautiful, and had no character flaws!

The one time I tried to write a trans character it was pretty bad: basically just a bunch of stereotypes and peak cringe. To this day that character is a reminder of why I only write cis characters. I just don't have enough experience or knowledge to do proper justice to the trans community.

i remember i use to create really short characters .

2'4-3-4 kinda short against 8'5 something characters . they were grown adults .

i knew nothing about height, they could probably bite someone's ankle though .

otherwise, the worst oc i've made was prob my gay-jeff-the-killer-rip-off (TM)

nevermind just had flashbacks of my edgy wolf-oc . i made her in a war situated roleplay, about wolves you see, and she was just so op, god-like, but she was so stupid and edgy and cried 24/7 ? aside from all of the wolves having powers or weapons, she was just over the top and had a crazy powerful dragon king on her ass who hated her .

im randomly remembering how she opened a portal to travel dimensions because the group was trying to escape the enemy, and she was like, "g- guys hurry, i can't hold it open any longer ! if you get stuck in here- you'll be GONE FOREVER AAAAAA , " and fun stuff like that of course .

i hate the detail of how she could " heal other people .. but not herself " and then get into a huge tragic accident that almost kills her

she could also revive people at the cost of their body changing besides one significant feature which i actually find pretty cool, like for example, this guy's brother died and i was like "i. . i can bring him back, but not this body . . he will be REBORN"
I think we found him again later because he still had his old memories and we saw his eyes, which influenced a dramatic moment that was just kinda like "OMG THATS HIM" but then he died again i think,,, like he saved me and then died, which made his brother go crazy and it was dramatic because of the journey we all just went through together-

okay if im being honest, it was the coolest RP i had ever been in, but we both were kinda young and some details weereee sO CRINGE

like how i fell into a void in which i would 'never escape from', but i did, and me escaping released the god of death :/

AJSDJASJDJASJDA

i remember i use to create really short characters .

2'4-3-4 kinda short against 8'5 something characters . they were grown adults .

i knew nothing about height, they could probably bite someone's ankle though .

otherwise, the worst oc i've made was prob my gay-jeff-the-killer-rip-off (TM)

nevermind just had flashbacks of my edgy wolf-oc . i made her in a war situated roleplay, about wolves you see, and she was just so op, god-like, but she was so stupid and edgy and cried 24/7 ? aside from all of the wolves having powers or weapons, she was just over the top and had a crazy powerful dragon king on her ass who hated her .

im randomly remembering how she opened a portal to travel dimensions because the group was trying to escape the enemy, and she was like, "g- guys hurry, i can't hold it open any longer ! if you get stuck in here- you'll be GONE FOREVER AAAAAA , " and fun stuff like that of course .

i hate the detail of how she could " heal other people .. but not herself " and then get into a huge tragic accident that almost kills her

she could also revive people at the cost of their body changing besides one significant feature which i actually find pretty cool, like for example, this guy's brother died and i was like "i. . i can bring him back, but not this body . . he will be REBORN"
I think we found him again later because he still had his old memories and we saw his eyes, which influenced a dramatic moment that was just kinda like "OMG THATS HIM" but then he died again i think,,, like he saved me and then died, which made his brother go crazy and it was dramatic because of the journey we all just went through together-

okay if im being honest, it was the coolest RP i had ever been in, but we both were kinda young and some details weereee sO CRINGE

like how i fell into a void in which i would 'never escape from', but i did, and me escaping released the god of death :/

AJSDJASJDJASJDA
This... was an entire roller coaster. Just what I needed today! :D thanks for sharing!

I don't remember the exact name of the OC. But it was quite literally the following for a "Character Sheet."

(This is all a paraphrasing since it's been too long and I don't remember the exact wording, but it's basically this)

Name: Greg (forgot actual name, so I'll give them one here)

Bio: Greg was born 20 years ago to a neglectful family and grew up despising crowds and groups of people and so spends all his time alone.

.............. That was it.

That was the "character" that we'll refer to right now as Greg.

That's not a character.

That's a spec of an idea for a character.

And when it came time for Greg to actually hit the page in the RP, he didn't behave anything like a loner who despised groups. He flirted with every female as if he was the ultimate lady's man, and was able to talk to any of the male characters as if he were just another one of the guys.

So half his "bio" was already being forgotten or ignored because... Reasons.

Cheers!

~ GojiBean

I don't remember the exact name of the OC. But it was quite literally the following for a "Character Sheet."

(This is all a paraphrasing since it's been too long and I don't remember the exact wording, but it's basically this)

Bio: Greg was born 20 years ago to a neglectful family and grew up despising crowds and groups of people and so spends all his time alone.

That's not a character.

And when it came time for Greg to actually hit the page in the RP, he didn't behave anything like a loner who despised groups. He flirted with every female as if he was the ultimate lady's man, and was able to talk to any of the male characters as if he were just another one of the guys.

Cheers!

~ GojiBean
Okay, this is actually hilarious 🤣

That's not a character.

Cheers!

~ GojiBean

But the real question : Did he ever remember his real name?

lol, honestly I would have had a laugh as the GM who got that. If it was a 1x1 I would just be like “you can tell me if you don’t want to do CS.”

In a group it would be “I’m sorry I can’t accept this character. But I wish you luck in your search.”

Oh man I can’t believe I forgot about her.. she was a horrible person irl. She assumed I was having sex with every rper I talked to. The worst of it was she’d mspaint graphic suicidal art of her character. The last straw was when she pretended to be her sister and faked her her own death. I honestly can’t watch ouran without thinking of her anymore. If she somehow found me I’d tear her apart. I hate her guts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back