Experiences What was your worst roleplay experience?

My worst roleplaying experience was when I entered a huge group RP with a few friends and this guy came in (we were all furries btw) with a GOD, out of nowhere. I love playing as Anubis, but I RP where Anubis only has one or two powers and balanced weakness'. This guy?

Nope. No weakness' and he could just Thanos Snap anyone out of existence. So I Thanos Snapped him out of the server. >:3

I have had a similar experience where I was RPing in a furry type of RP and the person was so god-moddy that I ended up leaving. XD It was just one of those "nah bro" moments.

I hate to admit that furries can be pretty damn cringy here and there. I wouldn't even wanna imagine how RPs with them would end up like.

Yeah, a male... but not a god, heh.
Just, has some... connection, with the outer gods (H.P. Lovecraft stuffs).
HEY Mortal x God rp's are still awesome! Especially if it's a learning experience for the god. PM me!

I was running a Monster Hunter-based game on Discord with one partner. My issue with this guy wasn't that he had endgame gear or was super competent. There's nothing wrong with a strong character, especially when that character is played right. The issue I had was that he played him like the worst kind of murderhobo.

No self awareness. No moral compass whatsoever. You were either his lynian servant or his bedfellow if you wanted to avoid the risk of your head and body going through a divorce whenever he walked by. This all came to a head when he launched a large scale attack on a major guild hall and the surrounding city.

Instant end to the RP. I had to explain to him what the results of his actions would be, and like anyone who has GMed for some "interesting" individuals, I asked him "Knowing what's going to happen because of this action, are you sure this is what you want to do?"

Not only was it what he wanted to do, he threw a hissy fit and declared that since I kept questioning his actions, there was no way he could do it right, so we needed to either scrap the RP entirely or restart.

I said "I have a better idea." and I clicked "Ban"

i was on a different rping site when this happened but basically i had a separate post with all my “rules” (not really rules but basically saying i’m looking for mxf pairings, no one liners, the fandoms i can do, plots and whatnot). this person asks me if i want to rp so i sent it to them to see if we’d be a good match (mind you it wasn’t uncommon for people to have a “rules” post like i did, it’s basically an rpn interest check but on that website instead. all my rp partners did it too). they immediately freaked out and started cursing me out for having rules and they even went on a rant on their public profile about me, saying stuff like “roleplay should be free there shouldn’t be rules!” and called me a bitch. i was genuinely so shocked at how they reacted, they threw a whole ass tantrum on their feed for everyone to read

something that makes me instantly end a roleplay is when people constantly ping me. it’s understandable to ping people after a week or a month or so, but this person kept pinging me every half hour. when i told them i’m busy and can’t reply, they decided to ping me after an hour ish instead. anyway i got really frustrated and simply ended the whole roleplay on the spot

The worst roleplay experience I had was with a guy on another site who had tricked me into doing a roleplay that I didn't want to do. Pretty much it was a false advertisement, my character was relegated to a damsel in distress to be saved by his character and I was fine with it at first because it was to my understanding that this was only the opening and he wouldn't continue to just save my character all the time...which to his credit was true he did not, in fact, have to keep saving my character because there was no fight or adventure to be had after this moment.

For some reason out of nowhere there was this mystical blizzard that would last for a year and no one could go outside or else they would instantly freeze solid to death so his character takes them to a sanctuary where they can be safe, there was no way to stop or survive this blizzard so we had no choice but to wait the year and quickly turned into a slice of life romance where our two characters were just stuck inside the sanctuary with each other for a year. I have no issue with a slice of life or romance, but that isn't what I signed up for this time and I didn't appreciate being tricked into it. I expressed that I wasn't having fun and I didn't appreciate being tricked into another RP that was not discussed, he apologies and promises that we'll do some more stuff that there will be action and adventure as advertised, but time passed it's still not being done so I say I'm no longer interested and he guilt trips me into staying because he's having fun and in his words "You're such a good role player, you're a lot of fun to roleplay with and it's hard to find good partners" which you would think would flatter me, but no it just upset me because you know what you're right and I'm not saying that to hype myself up but I try so hard to make sure my partners are having fun and at this point in my life I would even try to make sure you were having fun even when I clearly wasn't having fun anymore because I would feel bad for leaving and ruining someone else's fun. I started to feel some kind of way at this point. Now I feel disrespected and disregarded because I've told you several times I'm not having fun, I don't appreciate being lied to, this is not what we agreed to and you respond by begging me not to leave because you're having fun? So I should remain and be miserable because you're having fun? I'm putting all this effort in to make sure you have fun and you can't even be bothered to try and make this more fun for me by just doing what you promised in the first place? I don't often block people, especially not over RP but I did that day.

The worst roleplay experience I had was with a guy on another site who had tricked me into doing a roleplay that I didn't want to do. Pretty much it was a false advertisement, my character was relegated to a damsel in distress to be saved by his character and I was fine with it at first because it was to my understanding that this was only the opening and he wouldn't continue to just save my character all the time...which to his credit was true he did not, in fact, have to keep saving my character because there was no fight or adventure to be had after this moment.

For some reason out of nowhere there was this mystical blizzard that would last for a year and no one could go outside or else they would instantly freeze solid to death so his character takes them to a sanctuary where they can be safe, there was no way to stop or survive this blizzard so we had no choice but to wait the year and quickly turned into a slice of life romance where our two characters were just stuck inside the sanctuary with each other for a year. I have no issue with a slice of life or romance, but that isn't what I signed up for this time and I didn't appreciate being tricked into it. I expressed that I wasn't having fun and I didn't appreciate being tricked into another RP that was not discussed, he apologies and promises that we'll do some more stuff that there will be action and adventure as advertised, but time passed it's still not being done so I say I'm no longer interested and he guilt trips me into staying because he's having fun and in his words "You're such a good role player, you're a lot of fun to roleplay with and it's hard to find good partners" which you would think would flatter me, but no it just upset me because you know what you're right and I'm not saying that to hype myself up but I try so hard to make sure my partners are having fun and at this point in my life I would even try to make sure you were having fun even when I clearly wasn't having fun anymore because I would feel bad for leaving and ruining someone else's fun. I started to feel some kind of way at this point. Now I feel disrespected and disregarded because I've told you several times I'm not having fun, I don't appreciate being lied to, this is not what we agreed to and you respond by begging me not to leave because you're having fun? So I should remain and be miserable because you're having fun? I'm putting all this effort in to make sure you have fun and you can't even be bothered to try and make this more fun for me by just doing what you promised in the first place? I don't often block people, especially not over RP but I did that day.
Damn...I am sorry about that. I hate people like that. Fuck em, why I am an asshole now.

Firstly this might not be the worst RP experience I've had, maybe just the most frustrating/wtf/funny. Also it's fairly recent and I remember most of the details pretty good. OK so, allow me to set the scene...

The religious leader of the medieval fantasy RP world is visiting the Empress of said world, with his mother. They have just been through a terrible loss, where their home was exploded by 'magic' (but that's a different story, however they are super rich and influential, have their own army etc ). During this visit the person RPing as the butler/body guard of the Empress decides that not only is my OC (the mother of the religious leader) a terrible person, something he would not know by the way she is conducting herself. I admit that she was a terrible person... but not out loud to anyone. He was essentially mind reading without the ability to do so. Side note: I am so fed up of this happening in RP. It happens so much omg. Other peoples OC's get a 'feeling' that a person is not good or being genuine or just knows suddenly what they are thinking. Really gets my goat... I digress.

So this butler/bodyguard makes my OC subpar food on purpose, serves it cold and basically slams doors in her face and tells her to do one in not so many words... all in front of her son (major religious leader) and the Empress. For no given reason other than a 'feeling'. So the obvious happens... well almost obvious; the Empress forces him to apologise. That's when he goes off on a self righteous rant about elitism and how he, a peasant butler is just as important as royalty. You'd think he wanted to have his OC banished at the very least... nope. As soon as he was told there would be consequences for having said this openly, he left the server because my OC was mean and he didn't want to be punished for saying it. Just... sigh. It was such a stupid thing. Funny but stupid.

I was once in a Roleplaying community where someone listed cats among their triggers. I am normally very respective of triggers or limits and I take them very seriously in a Roleplaying atmosphere! Something about not being able to post about cats at all though? I noped out pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure several others followed suit and the community went under from lack of activity after that. It's pretty tame compared to some other stories on here, thankfully. I've had my share of demanding and borderline possessive Roleplay partners too, tbh, but none of them really stick out in my mind above the rest. i don't really stick around to deal with them once their true colors show anyway, lol.

Oh!

Actually, wait. I just remembered that I had a Roleplay partner when I was younger (like eleven or twelve) that threatened to kill themselves or self-harm if I didn't agree to be in a relationship with them. They were a few years older than me and I remember basically just telling them to go ahead with it because I wasn't interested in dating anyone while I was still in middle school. We haven't spoken since them and I don't know what happened to them.

Not sure if I want to know either.

I was once in a Roleplaying community where someone listed cats among their triggers. I am normally very respective of triggers or limits and I take them very seriously in a Roleplaying atmosphere! Something about not being able to post about cats at all though? I noped out pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure several others followed suit and the community went under from lack of activity after that. It's pretty tame compared to some other stories on here, thankfully. I've had my share of demanding and borderline possessive Roleplay partners too, tbh, but none of them really stick out in my mind above the rest. i don't really stick around to deal with them once their true colors show anyway, lol.

Oh!

Actually, wait. I just remembered that I had a Roleplay partner when I was younger (like eleven or twelve) that threatened to kill themselves or self-harm if I didn't agree to be in a relationship with them. They were a few years older than me and I remember basically just telling them to go ahead with it because I wasn't interested in dating anyone while I was still in middle school. We haven't spoken since them and I don't know what happened to them.

Ugh I wish that people like the person when you were 12 were rare. But they are so many of them, especially in RP communities. If it's of any comfort, a girl who did this same thing to my husband when he was 14 is still very much alive 15 years later, and married with multiple children. I'm sorry this happened to you though, it's a sucky thing to do to anyone :/

Ugh I wish that people like the person when you were 12 were rare. But they are so many of them, especially in RP communities. If it's of any comfort, a girl who did this same thing to my husband when he was 14 is still very much alive 15 years later, and married with multiple children. I'm sorry this happened to you though, it's a sucky thing to do to anyone :/
It's alright. It honestly doesn't bother me too much and I've already hidden it in the back of my mind until recently. In terms of Roleplaying, it was definitely one of the more dramatic experiences though my experiences since then have been pretty good with everything considered! Your kind words are appreciated though. I'm sure that person is still alive and kicking, but I honestly wouldn't have much empathy for them if they did hurt themselves over that, tbh.

I was once in a Roleplaying community where someone listed cats among their triggers. I am normally very respective of triggers or limits and I take them very seriously in a Roleplaying atmosphere! Something about not being able to post about cats at all though? I noped out pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure several others followed suit and the community went under from lack of activity after that. It's pretty tame compared to some other stories on here, thankfully. I've had my share of demanding and borderline possessive Roleplay partners too, tbh, but none of them really stick out in my mind above the rest. I don't really stick around to deal with them once their true colors show anyway, lol.

Oh!

Actually, wait. I just remembered that I had a Roleplay partner when I was younger (like eleven or twelve) that threatened to kill themselves or self-harm if I didn't agree to be in a relationship with them. They were a few years older than me and I remember basically just telling them to go ahead with it because I wasn't interested in dating anyone while I was still in middle school. We haven't spoken since then and I don't know what happened to them.

Ugh, I used to have a friend like that, that I met on a roleplaying site and I had to cut them off. They never threatened me into being in a relationship with them, but they would constantly talk about how suicidal they were and for some reason always come to me. I was a kid at the time and didn't know how to handle the situation so for a while would always do whatever I could to try and make them feel better, there were times they even manipulated me into getting into online fights with people because they would come crying to me about how x person was picking on them and it was making them feel worthless and suicidal and the fact that I would defend them always seemed to make them feel better so I would because I didn't want them to kill themselves over this person. Eventually, I started to see through it and see that they only called on me because they were in the wrong and wanted someone in their corner to seem less wrong because I was seen as a pretty nice and reasonable person in the community so by default if I came to defend them most people would back off and question whether or not they were right since most of us were kids anyway. When I started to question and tell this person they were wrong, they would guilt trip me by saying they were suicidal like halfway agreeing with me but making it seem as though realizing they were wrong now made them feel worthless because they couldn't do anything right and should just end it so I'd backtrack and say they were wrong but nicer and nicer until I just eventually took it back. If I didn't take it back, no matter how nicely I put it they would then go dark and disappear without a word for days and it would scare the shit out of me because I'd think they did it. Eventually, we just couldn't be friends anymore because it was just too stressful.

Last edited:
Ugh, I used to have a friend like that, that I met on a roleplaying sight and I had to cut them off. They never threatened me into being in a relationship with them, but they would constantly talk about how suicidal they were and for some reason always come to me. I was a kid at the time and didn't know how to handle the situation so for a while would always do whatever I could to try and make them feel better, there were times they even manipulated me into getting into online fights with people because they would come crying to me about how x person was picking on them and it was making them feel worthless and suicidal and the fact that I would defend them always seemed to make them feel better so I would because I didn't want them to kill themselves over this person. Eventually, I started to see through it and see that they only called on me because they were in the wrong and wanted someone in their corner to seem less wrong because I was seen as a pretty nice and reasonable person in the community so by default if I came to defend them most people would back off and question whether or not they were right since most of us were kids anyway. When I started to question and tell this person they were wrong, they would guilt trip me by saying they were suicidal like halfway agreeing with me but making it seem as though realizing they were wrong now made them feel worthless because they couldn't do anything right and should just end it so I'd backtrack and say they were wrong but nicer and nicer until I just eventually took it back. If I didn't take it back, no matter how nicely I put it they would then go dark and disappear without a word for days and it would scare the shit out of me because I'd think they did it. Eventually, we just couldn't be friends anymore because it was just too stressful.
Sorry you had to deal with that too. I'm glad that you've cut them off and are hopefully doing better now. I swear that Roleplaying tends to attract some of the strangest folk. I have no idea as to why. I guess all communities probably have their own share of bad eggs, but I feel like I hear way more horror stories with Roleplaying than anything else. Wonder why that is.

I don't know that this qualifies as my worst roleplay experience per se, but it's absolutely the thing that has frustrated me the most in over 20 years of RP.

When I was pretty new to Discord, I was having difficulty finding the sci-fi group I wanted. So, a friend and I created one from scratch! We made races, lore, planets, maps, classes, dice systems. I created a website (on Weebly, but I spent a lot of time on it, still!) with our rules and application prompts. I was really proud of this, and our wonderful players were really into the world we'd created. Enough they contributed to it; they were a dream come true.

Then one day on another platform, I received an invitation to a scifi server. I clicked in, took a look around, and thought the server looked awfully familiar. They also had a website on Weebly. When I scoped it out, I realized they'd used the same theme, the same colors, the same layout, the same TEXT as we had for our site. Their rules and prompts and systems were all carbon copies of ours. I was so offended for the work I'd done and that our members had done, which had just been copy-pasted and claimed by this other person. It was all I could do to be civil as I explained that their server was a copy of mine and I expected them to change everything they'd copied.

They promised to take all the copied lore and text down, and did, mostly. Then they asked me if I still wanted to join. Later, they asked me if I could help with some of Weebly's design elements. The absolute nerve, lmao. This person had sat in the lobby of our server long enough to steal our hard work, then they left. It might be that they didn't meet our minimum age requirements, but there's really no excuse to pass someone else's creative property off as your own. I still feel irritated when I think about it.

I don't know that this qualifies as my worst roleplay experience per se, but it's absolutely the thing that has frustrated me the most in over 20 years of RP.

When I was pretty new to Discord, I was having difficulty finding the sci-fi group I wanted. So, a friend and I created one from scratch! We made races, lore, planets, maps, classes, dice systems. I created a website (on Weebly, but I spent a lot of time on it, still!) with our rules and application prompts. I was really proud of this, and our wonderful players were really into the world we'd created. Enough they contributed to it; they were a dream come true.

Then one day on another platform, I received an invitation to a scifi server. I clicked in, took a look around, and thought the server looked awfully familiar. They also had a website on Weebly. When I scoped it out, I realized they'd used the same theme, the same colors, the same layout, the same TEXT as we had for our site. Their rules and prompts and systems were all carbon copies of ours. I was so offended for the work I'd done and that our members had done, which had just been copy-pasted and claimed by this other person. It was all I could do to be civil as I explained that their server was a copy of mine and I expected them to change everything they'd copied.

They promised to take all the copied lore and text down, and did, mostly. Then they asked me if I still wanted to join. Later, they asked me if I could help with some of Weebly's design elements. The absolute nerve, lmao. This person had sat in the lobby of our server long enough to steal our hard work, then they left. It might be that they didn't meet our minimum age requirements, but there's really no excuse to pass someone else's creative property off as your own. I still feel irritated when I think about it.
Yeah you are not alone in this. Happens a lot on discord. Happened to me with a very detailed mediaeval fantasy RP server, worse still it was one of my mods that copied everything for their own 'secret' server. They were also dming my servers members to get them to switch, so poaching them essentially. Found out when said mod was brazen enough to ask my husband to join her copycat server! Ahhh that still make me lmao from wtf-ness.

Yeah you are not alone in this. Happens a lot on discord. Happened to me with a very detailed mediaeval fantasy RP server, worse still it was one of my mods that copied everything for their own 'secret' server. They were also dming my servers members to get them to switch, so poaching them essentially. Found out when said mod was brazen enough to ask my husband to join her copycat server! Ahhh that still make me lmao from wtf-ness.
Oh, no! I feel like it's so much worse when you find out it was someone you trusted enough to make a moderator. What a weird betrayal.

Oh boy, mine was one of my very first rp's and was about Tokyo Mew Mew. I was just a wee child and my partner's character was already way overly sexualized to begin with, but I thought that it was fine. My crush was Kisshu and I was very excited, her crush was Ryou so I thought everything was fine. Well, she didn't want me to play Ryou at that time and instead planned out an interaction with Kisshu. Already she wasn't really paying attention to my character but then she completely ignored my OC and proceeded to RP... With herself. It was so fucking weird and to this day I still can't figure out what the point even was.

An early Gaia Online RP I was in was taken over by a guild of supervillains, the Weapons of Mass Destruction, or something-or-other.

These guys had the idea that they are completely allowed to kill off or maim, or do whatever they want to other PCs so long as they outsmarted the other player in RP combat. They will come up with all kinds of bullshit to justify why their actions will always succeed while ours will always fail, even going so far as to bring in math equations and physics. They were THAT serious about it. They were always faster, stronger, more prepared, better armed, you name it. Oh, but they weren't god-modding, you see, because they put logic into everything they did! You're just not as smart as they are!

Here's the thing: combat takes place in a matter of seconds. Our characters do not have the luxury of sitting safe behind a computer screen and thinking out every single move. Every action is a split-second decision, and you're not always going to make the best one.

The GM of the thread was too much of a wimp to do anything about it. All they wanted to do was continue their make-out fest with their RP partner. I ended up quitting. Sadly, I was in that thread for a long time before those guys showed up.

Last edited:
this happened several years ago by now but it stills stands as one of the wildest experiences i've had on a rp site

it was on amino (because of course it was) and i joined a group with not a lot of members, but they were all kind and welcoming. i got to writing with a handful of the other members and it was a lot of fun! and during this, i managed to become good friends with one of the mods there -- enough to the point where we even discussed starting up our own group at some point. we'll call them mod A. but mod A was also friends with another person on the mod team, iirc they also knew each other irl?, and they WERE PISSED i became friends with mod A. we'll call them mod B, for Bad. one day i found myself unable to access the ooc group chat, so i contacted mod A to let them know and ask them if they knew what was up. turns out mod B had decided to randomly kick me out from the ooc group chat with literally no warning. like ok?? i was added back in, and i figured i would ignore it... until it happened AGAIN like a week or so later. keep in mind that i had never even really interacted with mod B before this. so i decided to go on and try and make amends with mod B, reach out and find out why they disliked me to the point of abusing their admin powers like that, but they reacted extremely childishly and started verbally harassing me. this was all in a chat between me, mod B, and mod A as mediator, but it mostly devolved into mod B just insulting me. i know mod A wanted me to try and get along with mod B, but at that point, i'm tired, i tried my best, and frankly i'm not interested in petty internet drama. so i left

honestly i just hope that wherever they are now, mod A is doing well. they were genuinely really cool and nice. i feel bad that mod B felt that posessive over them/their friendship, or maybe they were just jealous of me being active and making friends in the group, but honestly they seemed kinda young so my hope is that they grew out of it. it was a super weird experience to have to go through overall though and i literally have not touched amino since

Both "worst experiences" are from the same group of people.

This all takes place on discord. It's a fairly large group with 5 other active players. I was incredibly friendly with all but two. Other two began venting about me. I never discluded them from discussion, and actually encouraged/chatted with them frequently.

The first few vents weren't directly refer to me, but sort of passively aggressively talked about a situation that had just transpired. Instead of them just.... talking to me about it. Again. Never rude to them at all.

The vents were oftentimes related to my art/characters. So I would post art, and a few minutes later they'd be talking about how "everyone likes this person's art but never compliments mine". So everyone started complimenting this person's art. But then. They keep doing it. They start baiting for compliments all of the time and would repost their art in unrelated channels and would spam it over conversations. It was irritating. They never complimented anyone else at all, or bothered to engage in conversation about someone else's characters but their own.

What makes things so much worse was the server owner backed this player's behavior. I was 6 months into a roleplay and left everything open ended because they couldn't stop behaving this way.

Lufiggy Lufiggy so that reminds me of an online game I took part in. It wasn’t a roleplay per se although it had elements of roleplaying to it.

It was basically a dog show game where you could collect (or commission) art that represented purebred dogs. You could name your dog characters, breed them, and compete in shows with them.

Now the art for the game was wildly different qualities because there were multiple different artists involved. In addition several of the admin/mods showed dogs IRL and had kinda of a snobby disposition to those of us who just joined casually cuz we liked the collect cute dog art aspect.

Anyway a group of players decided they wanted to start a new game with a similar concept but more realistic art. keeping in mind both games were mostly free with the option to pay specific artists for commissions of dog art (if you wanted one based on an IRL dog for instance)

And the admin and mods from group A lost their shit. They put in their signatures “join dog show game A, the real dog show game.”

And it was the pettiest thing I ever saw. It’s not like the second group was forbidding people from joining the first group. Plenty of users were in both groups.

It’s just the admin for group A wanted to be petty and act like they were superior yo group B.

When I was a teenager and first getting into 1x1s, my partner tried turning our slow burn RP into straight up cybering without any warning. At the time I didn't have the spine to shut it down so I tried having my character back away, but I guess they didn't take the hint because they kept trying to push me into it until a mod intervened and gave the other player a strike.

When I was a teenager and first getting into 1x1s, my partner tried turning our slow burn RP into straight up cybering without any warning. At the time I didn't have the spine to shut it down so I tried having my character back away, but I guess they didn't take the hint because they kept trying to push me into it until a mod intervened and gave the other player a strike.

I can very much relate to this! While I do ask for romance RPs, it’s NOT necessarily an invitation to write “smut” or “adult situations”. I think there’s such a big disconnect between love and lust these days that most people can’t tell the difference. It’s such a deterrent when the first thing someone asks about my non-binary character is about their biological reproductive system (to put it mildly). I can’t even see how that’s remotely related to the plot, but it’s happened.

I think one of my worst RPs came at the hands of an overly demanding and clingy partner. It was one of those fandom RPs, where I agreed to play a canon character for my partner’s OC. The first few exchanges were actually pleasant - nothing that I could see that would cause concern. But then, they introduced a romantic scenario and wanted me to play along without prior discussion.

Even though I tried to explain to them that it wasn’t realistic in that scenario for our characters to immediately fall in love, they kept pushing the scenario for our characters to kiss or do couple things. When I tried to part ways amicably, citing different plot goals, I was just called names and harassed. Then, they went as far as messaging on a new account once I’ve blocked them and also posting on a thread that I’ve replied to previously just to get my attention.

Perhaps, the most concerning thing of all, I was RPing with someone older than me so I expected some level of maturity. I wasn’t expecting that sheer amount of pettiness from a full grown adult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back