Experiences What was your worst roleplay experience?

I have run into a similar situation Lurker Lurker , well minus the weird passive aggressive business.

But I have had people be genuinely confused when I asked them why our two characters should be in a romantic relationship

As if they never really stopped to think about why someone would actually want to hang out with their character if it wasn’t just “because plot”

It was a homebrew system that was elaborated off of 5e content. This was my first DnD campaign. I knew nothing about 5e.

- My college courses took at least 16 hours out of my week. Not including school work.
- Two part time jobs took at least 20 hours out of my week so I could pay rent.
- One full weekend day dedicated to getting the rest of my shit together, a 6+ hour online DnD campagn, and having personal time to myself.

The GM: Why didn't you didn't you look at this document I made? How come this elaborate homebrew DnD system I slaved hours on making is confusing to you? Why do I have to water everything down? Everything is on the site I made specifically for the campaign. I do not want to have to answer questions during the session. You should come to the session knowing this information already. It is an insult to all of the work and time that the co-gm and I have put into creating the system just for YOU guys to play DnD. I hate having to explain all of this because it wastes time during our sessions. You know we have a large time zone gap between Canada and the UK. I would rather have you leave the campaign if you cannot keep up.

Myself: Then do not include me. -points to personal schedule-

The GM: Well, if you leave, then that means we cannot have the session. We won't have enough players to continue the campaign. That would be selfish of you.

Myself: -points to insane college life-

The GM: Fine then.

maxresdefault.jpg

The GM: Please come back to the session. I am begging you. We really need you as a player. The party cannot sustain itself without a healer and we would have to remake our character sheets (spoiler: all of us had to remake our character sheets two months later). Is there a time that works better for you in your schedule?

RINSE AND REPEAT.

I would rather have you leave the campaign if you cannot keep up.

The GM: Well, if you leave, then that means we cannot have the session. We won't have enough players to continue the campaign. That would be selfish of you.
DmG-kKoXcAUA2Kp.jpg

We really need you as a player. The party cannot sustain itself without a healer
Never in my life have I seen this.
Most of the time, if not all, of my RPs all have self-sufficient people (or, more than that), and at varying degrees of good-at-doing-damage. Tanks ? Healers ? That's for noobs, bruh.

Tanks ? Healers ? That's for noobs, bruh.
To be fair, I was a DnD n00b. 😂 😂 😂

The party was composed of a fighter, a rogue, a wizard, and myself (bard). The oddest thing is that I never healed that much. The GM also got frustrated at me when I never "practiced live roleplaying" since I am not so great at it. I do better with the whole typing thing. It just seemed strange to me at the time. When and where the hell did he expect me to accomplish this?

Needless to say, I did not have fun, even though he claimed it was better than the original 5e campaign ever made. That no longer matters to me when the players have a miserable time trying to ask anything of the GM.

To be fair, I was a DnD n00b.
I've never EVER DONE a single DnD session (or whatever the term is) before, so I got nothing to say on that either 😂

Tanks ? Healers ? That's for noobs, bruh.
My guy is a tank, messing up enemies' formation with crowd-controls... but hey, why bother when you can kill everyone so ungodly abysmally fast that anyone else not focusing on damage is just irrelevant ?
And he's a blacksmith, so... that's another thing to make irrelevant. Everyone got their own top-tier high-quality weapons and armors, forged by the gods, passed on from their long heritage that tracked back to ancient kings/queens, and empowered with the soul of the virgin witch of the dark forests.
😩👌

It was a homebrew system that was elaborated off of 5e content. This was my first DnD campaign. I knew nothing about 5e.

- My college courses took at least 16 hours out of my week. Not including school work.
- Two part time jobs took at least 20 hours out of my week so I could pay rent.
- One full weekend day dedicated to getting the rest of my shit together, a 6+ hour online DnD campagn, and having personal time to myself.

The GM: Why didn't you didn't you look at this document I made? How come this elaborate homebrew DnD system I slaved hours on making is confusing to you? Why do I have to water everything down? Everything is on the site I made specifically for the campaign. I do not want to have to answer questions during the session. You should come to the session knowing this information already. It is an insult to all of the work and time that the co-gm and I have put into creating the system just for YOU guys to play DnD. I hate having to explain all of this because it wastes time during our sessions. You know we have a large time zone gap between Canada and the UK. I would rather have you leave the campaign if you cannot keep up.

Myself: -points to insane college life-

The GM: Fine then.

maxresdefault.jpg

The GM: Please come back to the session. I am begging you. We really need you as a player. The party cannot sustain itself without a healer and we would have to remake our character sheets (spoiler: all of us had to remake our character sheets two months later). Is there a time that works better for you in your schedule?

RINSE AND REPEAT.

As a person trying to make a DnD campaign and having had plenty of experience with Pathfinder and DnD 5e.... This is bullshit. XD I'm sorry you had to go through all of this.

I can safely say that not everyone is like this. I prefer my DnD campaigns over text as well, as it is easier for me to get my thoughts straighter than if I were to talk. I have to think super hard and it gets to the point where the more pressured I am to speak, the less able I am to speak. But I do enjoy my DnD games, especially when we are in hilarious parties of people that try to be serious but it is usually comedic or satirical at best. In one standard campaign, we ended up stealing a ship and ended up trying to derail the plot by taking over pirate settlements.

I get that the GM probably felt like they couldn't control your schedule and make it work for them because they really liked their idea and wanted people to play, but that's just horrible. Nobody should act like that. If they had such an issue, maybe they should find someone who had a more open schedule.

THE GM HAD PERSONALLY INVITED ME TO JOIN THEIR CAMPAIGN. We already knew each other for at least seven years at that point.

... That's no excuse. XD If they personally invited you and knew how bad your schedule was, they would have been a bit more accommodating. xD Wow. And the fact that they knew you for so long should have had them treat you a bit better without gaslighting you. Good lord.

Maybe they are just not the type of people to help others get into 5e. XD There are those who are amazing GMs, and yet they don't know how to teach someone the ins and outs of 5e without getting irritated at them.

If you want, I can help with teaching you how 5e works if and when you want that bit of help. Offer is there if you want to continue with DnD (even if it isn't with the same GM or the same campaign).

Granted, it's weird that they didn't know or understand that you don't know a single thing about 5e. Wouldn't they have tried to break you into DnD with a normal, easy campaign that allows you to experience everything DnD has to offer while making it easy to digest for a college/work-addled mind?

EDIT: I just realized that this might not have been recent. :P lol it could be, but the offer is still there if you ever need help. xD

Last edited:
... That's no excuse. XD If they personally invited you and knew how bad your schedule was, they would have been a bit more accommodating.
I agree. It just makes it worse imo.

Wouldn't they have tried to break you into DnD with a normal, easy campaign that allows you to experience everything DnD has to offer while making it easy to digest for a college/work-addled mind?
I tried to forewarn them about this, but they insisted, and got all flustered when they realized I had no idea what to do. Character creation was a nightmare. It was supposedly a lot simpler than traditional 5e. Of course, how would I know the comparison at the time?

I just realized that this might not have been recent. :P lol it could be, but the offer is still there if you ever need help. xD
This took place a few years ago, but the memory is still rather fresh, as you can see. It didn’t form my entire opinion of 5e, though. I know as a role player that this experience was just a bad one because of the GM and not because of the game itself. “Hate the game not the player” does not apply in this case. You’re super sweet to offer, too. 💞 My co-worker and I run DnD club for the middle school. Lots of people might think the campaign is trash, but the kids have fun, and that’s all that matters (they’re only 12).

Awwww that so sweet :D glad to see you're doing better with it too :3

Anyway, to get back on topic XD I don't have anymore bad RP experiences besides the ones I've said earlier. Though, when I was younger and a lot less experienced (and having had a horrible role model with how someone with clinical anxiety acted) I tried to use my character's anxiety to guilt trip a character into feeling bad and starting something romantic. I probably actually scared the player away or did something in the two RPs we were a part of that pushed him away from the site itself and wondered why he ghosted me, not realizing I did anything wrong until later when I realized people who have clinical anxiety don't usually guilt trip people. XD like... how could I be so stupid???? What made it worse was that the person was probably giving me context clues in-character about how badly I was screwing this all up and I just didn't see them. XD plus, I kind of blurred the line between "this is a character" to "this is an extension of myself, but not quite a self insert" when I knew better not to. So that was fun.

I FEEL SO BAD FOR DOING THAT ZJFNWKDNISKS

But that was like... 4 years ago. Now I know better and I haven't done that since. Still, that is something on my mind that has been bugging me lately (haha confessional go BRRRR).

But I'm a lot better now and now I actually have paranoia and acute anxiety, unlike 4 years ago where I didn't and only had someone who used a clinical/major version of anxiety and their depression to guilt trip their friends into doing things for them....

*sigh* yea I'm not touching clinical anxiety with a 10 ft pole for a while. Until I actually figure them out. Safe to say that he's kind of an edgy character still due to the fact that he doesn't let stuff go, and yet he's something similar to a detective/psychotherapist....

I'll never reach out with a romantic interest in any character, let alone an OC. Ever. XD

Last edited:
Awwww that so sweet :D glad to see you're doing better with it too :3

Anyway, to get back on topic XD I don't have anymore bad RP experiences besides the ones I've said earlier. Though, when I was younger and a lot less experienced (and having had a horrible role model with how someone with clinical anxiety acted) I tried to use my character's anxiety to guilt trip a character into feeling bad and starting something romantic. I probably actually scared the player away or did something in the two RPs we were a part of that pushed him away from the site itself and wondered why he ghosted me, not realizing I did anything wrong until later when I realized people who have clinical anxiety don't usually guilt trip people. XD like... how could I be so stupid???? What made it worse was that the person was probably giving me context clues in-character about how badly I was screwing this all up and I just didn't see them. XD plus, I kind of blurred the line between "this is a character" to "this is an extension of myself, but not quite a self insert" when I knew better not to. So that was fun.

I FEEL SO BAD FOR DOING THAT ZJFNWKDNISKS

But that was like... 4 years ago. Now I know better and I haven't done that since. Still, that is something on my mind that has been bugging me lately (haha confessional go BRRRR).

But I'm a lot better now and now I actually have paranoia and acute anxiety, unlike 4 years ago where I didn't and only had someone who used a clinical/major version of anxiety and their depression to guilt trip their friends into doing things for them....

*sigh* yea I'm not touching clinical anxiety with a 10 ft pole for a while. Until I actually figure them out. Safe to say that he's kind of an edgy character still due to the fact that he doesn't let stuff go, and yet he's something similar to a detective/psychotherapist....

I'll never reach out with a romantic interest in any character, let alone an OC. Ever. XD
Growth, my friend.

Something Really similar happened to me. Lol

My OC (Nina) became friends with another OC (Amber). Amber's character was... not that good. And no one else was really interested in her. So with Nina being the only one talking to her she wanted to ship hers with mine. Nina wasn't interested.

So what did Amber's creator do? She made her ocs rapist in the forms and added him to the rp and made him rape her OC for sympathy and when we said that she couldn't do that she had him try to rape my OC. Lucky me, my OC has an overprotective big brother.
Anyways when the Owner found out, she was banned.

My OC (Nina) became friends with another OC (Amber). Amber's character was... not that good. And no one else was really interested in her. So with Nina being the only one talking to her she wanted to ship hers with mine. Nina wasn't interested.

So what did Amber's creator do? She made her ocs rapist in the forms and added him to the rp and made him rape her OC for sympathy and when we said that she couldn't do that she had him try to rape my OC. Lucky me, my OC has an overprotective big brother.
jesus christ! That is horrible! I am so sorry you had to go through that. I would kill her oc.

20200912-124505.jpg

R.I.P

Had a partner ask a lot of personal questions & was generally pushy. He threw a fit when I was online but not RPing with him [was on DND cus of being busy]. He openly admitted to stalking my reddit account & still looks for my new ones to this day. :/

this mostly happened when i was younger- but i used to (and honestly still do) have icks when it comes to certain phrases and whatnot as it completely gets me out of the headspace for writing anything at all. my old rp partner would say them all and then would creepily fetishize like. very heavy topics and i was like .... chief we can include them but stop being a Weirdo about it please and they messaged me every day for a year because i stopped responding after one of their characters self harmed in a public setting out of nowhere and it was just embarrassing and also like ... i used to self harm when i was younger (it wasnt triggering but how do you not ask beforehand ?? like how do you not discuss triggers and boundaries lol)

My worst experience was a couple years ago when Google+ was used pretty often for roleplaying. I was having a pretty interesting rp with someone, and it was all fine and dandy. Then without warning, their character rapes my character. Like wtf? This came completely out of nowhere without warning, and did not even remotely fit into the plot of the rp. Not to mention they didn't ask to make sure I was comfortable with it.

I dropped out of that like a hot rock

Anyways how about you guys?

Same thing happened to me

My worst roleplaying experience was when I entered a huge group RP with a few friends and this guy came in (we were all furries btw) with a GOD, out of nowhere. I love playing as Anubis, but I RP where Anubis only has one or two powers and balanced weakness'. This guy?

Nope. No weakness' and he could just Thanos Snap anyone out of existence. So I Thanos Snapped him out of the server. >:3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back