Experiences What was your worst roleplay experience?

I once had someone who just always went too far during fight scenes. My character would give him a punch and he'd retaliate by stabbing her, pushing her down the stairs and strangling her all in one response. Like??? He just always went too far and never gave my character a chance to react. When I asked him to maybe tone it back so our character had equal chances for combat on the RP he got mad and told me I was just shooting down all of his ideas. But like all of his ideas were extreme ways to attack my character... he got mad and said he didn't like me and left. Which is okay, no one is obligated to like me or my style but I was really shook 😂
What if you wanna land an attack
But the opponent said

I once had someone who just always went too far during fight scenes. My character would give him a punch and he'd retaliate by stabbing her, pushing her down the stairs and strangling her all in one response. Like??? He just always went too far and never gave my character a chance to react. When I asked him to maybe tone it back so our character had equal chances for combat on the RP he got mad and told me I was just shooting down all of his ideas. But like all of his ideas were extreme ways to attack my character... he got mad and said he didn't like me and left. Which is okay, no one is obligated to like me or my style but I was really shook 😂

Yeah, that sounds right. This is why I specify I only use t1 as it limits the attacks to one. Freeform can work, but you need clear communication, or sometimes this happens. A set of rules or outlines. My favorite is the -Teleports behind, sends a blinding flurry of slashes, serious of explosions, then finishes by trying to slice off the head.- "Get gud, kid." (Obviously a parody.)

he got mad and told me I was just shooting down all of his ideas.
Honestly lol, this is the main issue. I kind of doubt they would've worked well as a partner because of this, alone... The overpowered character just seems like a symptom of a greater problem. Communication is key and sometimes that means setting aside your feelings for the greater good! If you're not willing to compromise for your partner, then I'm not sure what you're doing roleplaying.

This happened 3 days ago.

So I had made a search thread on here and before the site went down, I had gotten a PM from someone saying they were interested in doing a RP with me. After the site came back up, I responded to their PM saying I would love to do an RP with them and I gave them my discord so we could discuss things out. They sent a friend request, I accepted, and we were starting to plot things out. I had been gone for maybe 30 minutes and when I came back onto discord to see I had around, I think at least, 4 messages from this person. Then they sent me 3 more messages for a total of 7 messages in a row. Okay, that's pretty creepy and it unnerved me. It was just them spitting out some ideas and asking me for my ideas that I had. But then, whenever I would go offline and then come back, I would have multiple messages in a row from this person. It was starting to scare me and make me feel uncomfortable that this person was basically trying to get me to reply to them as soon as I come onto Discord. Eventually, I just said "I'm sorry, I don't think I can match your activity level." or something like that and that I wasn't interested anymore. What'd they do? They sent me 4 messages in a row. I did not read them, I didn't have the courage to do so.

Oh and they had asked me for smut too.

RP I was heavily invested in and had so much planned character development had to end because two folks had just stopped showing up and the one who started it was so enveloped in work that she could not continue.

They sent me 4 messages in a row. I did not read them, I didn't have the courage to do so.
That sounds terrifying, experiences like that are exactly why I stay on RPnation. There are some real creeps out there, better to stay somewhere with adequate moderation so you don't end up feeling unsafe like that.
I know not every person who wants to go offsite is a bad person but it's always a red flag for me. Doesn't help that discord has a spotty reputation.

The worst experience I have is that when I complain, everyone hates it. I don't blame them. Then when they straight up ghost me!!!

Oh and they had asked me for smut too.
Please be sure to report the user who requested smut as it is against our policies.

I'm new to the site so I don't have any RpN stories yet, but hoo boy do I remember one from another site.

This was about 2 years ago. I usually do 1x1s, but I decided to try a group roleplay for the first time in many years. I was playing my favorite oc, Zeke. He's a 27 year old gay man (this will become relevant.)

Everything was going pretty good until... Enter Lily (not her actual name, I don't remember what her actual name was.) Lily had two characters, both female, and seemed kind of obsessed with Zeke right from the start. She insisted that her character could and would seduce him-- when I said no, he's gay, she insisted her character could use magic to make him sleep with her. Not only is that rape, it's got extremely homophobic "conversion" undertones.

Thankfully, the GM stepped in and shut that down. Lily had that character move on to some other guy. She then said ooc that she wanted her other female character to get close to him... I said sure, I can imagine them being good friends, or even have sort of an older brother / big sister relationship. When I made it clear that it would be strictly platonic, she lost interest in them interacting.

Finally, she decided to make a new character -- a guy this time, to try and ship with Zeke. Okay, fine, at least she's not trying to make him straight anymore... I go to look at her new character sheet, and this new guy is every stereotype of gay men I can think of rolled up into one package. And what's more, he's 15 years old. He's a child! My character is a nearly 30 year old man!

When I say no, I'm extremely uncomfortable with how young he is, she says he'll use magic to make himself look older. Still very creepy.

And by the way, this roleplay was not a romance rp. It was a supernatural action/adventure story. No idea why she was so determined to pair my character up with anyone.

Also, Lily had made some veiled transphobic comments directed at me ooc, so this creepy new character was the last straw. I dropped out of the roleplay. I gotta say, it really put me off group rps, and I've stuck with 1x1 ever since.

Last edited:
Also, Lily had made some veiled transphobic comments directed at me ooc, so this creepy new character was the last straw. I dropped out of the roleplay. I gotta say, it really put me off group rps, and I've stuck with 1x1 ever since.

Nope, nope, nope, nopity nope nope. That whole paragraph made me want to get away as fast as I could from whoever "Lily" is. Yikes. I don't blame you for feeling put off, I would too.
On another note, welcome to RPN and I hope you have a good time here!

I'm new to the site so I don't have any RpN stories yet, but hoo boy do I remember one from another site.

This was about 2 years ago. I usually do 1x1s, but I decided to try a group roleplay for the first time in many years. I was playing my favorite oc, Zeke. He's a 27 year old gay man (this will become relevant.)

Everything was going pretty good until... Enter Lily (not her actual name, I don't remember what her actual name was.) Lily had two characters, both female, and seemed kind of obsessed with Zeke right from the start. She insisted that her character could and would seduce him-- when I said no, he's gay, she insisted her character could use magic to make him sleep with her. Not only is that rape, it's got extremely homophobic "conversion" undertones.

Thankfully, the GM stepped in and shut that down. Lily had that character move on to some other guy. She then said ooc that she wanted her other female character to get close to him... I said sure, I can imagine them being good friends, or even have sort of an older brother / big sister relationship. When I made it clear that it would be strictly platonic, she lost interest in them interacting.

Finally, she decided to make a new character -- a guy this time, to try and ship with Zeke. Okay, fine, at least she's not trying to make him straight anymore... I go to look at her new character sheet, and this new guy is every stereotype of gay men I can think of rolled up into one package. And what's more, he's 15 years old. He's a child! My character is a nearly 30 year old man!

When I say no, I'm extremely uncomfortable with how young he is, she says he'll use magic to make himself look older. Still very creepy.

And by the way, this role play was not a romance rp. It was a supernatural action/adventure story. No idea why she wa so determined to pair my character up with anyone.

Oh dear lord I'm so sorry that happened :/ I mean, Zeke sounds like a really bombass character, but not having your character's boundaries (and your own) being respected is pretty stupid :/ It was probably the first homosexual character this 'Lily' ever created and the fact that they were rushing to get in with your character, which could explain all the stereotypes rolled into one. They probably looked up how a gay person is and picked all the options. XD Which is a horrible way to go about it.

(I mean, granted, I did do something similar until I made better gay characters, but still) Hopefully you have a better time here in RpN :3

Last edited:
Nope, nope, nope, nopity nope nope. That whole paragraph made me want to get away as fast as I could from whoever "Lily" is. Yikes. I don't blame you for feeling put off, I would too.
On another note, welcome to RPN and I hope you have a good time here!

Thank you! So far I'm enjoying it, and everyone seems pretty nice! And yeah, that's not even the full extent of her inappropriate behavior-- That's just the stuff I can remember, haha.

Oh dear lord I'm so sorry that happened :/ I mean, Zeke sounds like a really bombass character, but not having your character's boundaries (and your own) being respected is pretty stupid :/ It was probably the first homosexual character this 'Lily' ever created and the fact that they were rushing to get in with your character, which could explain all the stereotypes rolled into one. They probably looked up how a gay person is and picked all the options. XD Which is a horrible way to go about it.

(I mean, granted, I did do something similar until I made better gay characters, but still) Hopefully you have a better time here in RpN :3

Yeah, that's absolutely true-- I got the feeling she was mostly used to writing straight characters. By itself, that's forgivable; I'm sure I used a few too many stereotypes in my early writing as well, and I appreciate when people are willing to branch out and try new things even if it doesn't work out. But that combined with her creepy behavior and rude ooc comments made me nope right out of there, lol.

Also thank you for the kind wishes, and so far I am having a better time! :)

Okay here we go. Time to share one of my many bad experiences I have had. This was about 2/3 months ago now I was on another site. I was doing a villain x human rp, It had a little romance but not often throughout it. It was going super super well, when abruptly she messages me and asks can we make it "Explicit" Everything seemed fine, I told her calmly no since that was one of my triggers and I never ever rp that sorta stuff, I was very polite and all. She seemed to accept it perfectly well and was totally fine with it. We continued as we were, until I leave one night To go to sleep, come back on the next morning and she has :
1. Sent about 55 messages roleplaying out explicit content basically smut. To me.
2. Taken my charecter over, making them respond in her posts doing explicit things.
3. Completely ditched all attempts at any sort of good grammar and spelling.
4. completely changed the story so its basically all about the romance.

Yea I had seen enough, I read like a few of the posts that she was still sending and decided I was done. I reported her but the site did nothing saying that she "Had not actually done anything wrong" . Needless to say, I deleated the conversation and blocked her. Since then I have left the site completely, since it was becoming way to explicit for me. I have not used that charecter since, it just feels to weird to now.

Werepunk Werepunk I too had an RP partner try to make my gay character straight with her female character. She got the message about him being gay, but continued to act her character as though she was in love with him ... but without saying so. They had a platonic master/servant kind of relationship but it always seemed to verge a little too uncomfortably towards her wanting to ship them romantically. She liked all my male characters and always wanted to ship them with hers no matter how weird they were (and there was one who was an evil clown who murdered people by scaring them to death). So I count it as a narrowly avoided yikes. Yikes-adjacent. XD

Werepunk Werepunk I too had an RP partner try to make my gay character straight with her female character. She got the message about him being gay, but continued to act her character as though she was in love with him ... but without saying so. They had a platonic master/servant kind of relationship but it always seemed to verge a little too uncomfortably towards her wanting to ship them romantically. She liked all my male characters and always wanted to ship them with hers no matter how weird they were (and there was one who was an evil clown who murdered people by scaring them to death). So I count it as a narrowly avoided yikes. Yikes-adjacent. XD

Oof, yeah. Unrequited love can be a fun dynamic to explore, but I think some folks just have a hard time accepting that it's going to stay unrequited. And don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of romance, but some characters just aren't made for that kind of thing. Sorry you had to put up with that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back