Experiences What was your worst roleplay experience?

This person started messaging me incessantly, on almost every platform, practically begging to continue even though I simply was no longer interested. They even insisted that they needed the RP in order to sustain their mental health, whatever the hell that means. Blocked them, haven't looked back since.

OOOF. I have dealt with that guilt trip before. I'm glad you were able to respond quick and block that. That is no fun whatsoever.

At a group RP from a long time ago, I'd agreed to the idea of a romance with another character. The player got possessive af real quick (our characters weren't even together yet). They would be hostile to other players who would so much as comment about my character, as well as leave weird, bordering-on-creepy comments about our characters on the OOC chat. When I called them out on it, they'd talk about how I was ashamed of our character's "relationship". Eventually had to leave the RP because I was getting uncomfortable.

I had a very similar experience to this once!! There were a few people I would RP with on the regular, and one of them seemed to expect me to ship my character with theirs in every since RP thing we did, and would become extremely passive agressive when that wasn’t the case. So frustrating.

Story 1:

So, my worst experience was way back when I had first began roleplaying. It was on another site and the very first time I had even seen a roleplaying forum. So I decided to start my own group roleplay and it got a lot of positive feedback. Things were going smoothly and everyone was having fun. That is, until a new member joined the group; we'll call him Steve. (I'm sorry if your name is Steve; nothing against you, it's just the first name that popped into my head.)

Now Steve wasn't a great person. He would message me where at first he was super nice and then out of nowhere, he would blow up on me and unfriend me, before messaging me and convincing me it was my fault that he was angry at me. Now, I was like 13-14 and at that age I was a BIG people pleaser; I never wanted anyone to be mad at me, which lead to me being a big pushover. He somehow convinced me to let him help mod the roleplay and then things went downhill from there. He would start fights in the OOC and everyone was getting mad. Between the drama in the OOC and his constant hot/cold way of messaging me, I quickly got over-whelmed and just left the site.

Probably not my smartest move, but I was young and didn't have a clue what I was doing.

My friend that stayed in the roleplay said that Steve was later IP banned for harassing other people. So...karma..?

Story 2:

My next experience wasn't necessarily the worst, but it left me feeling bummed. My friend and I joined an apocalypse roleplay that we were really excited about. We made our character and the roleplay started, but we quickly realized that the group we had joined knew each other and were friends.

That normally wouldn't bothered me but they just..ignored my friend and I. The way the roleplay was ran was that your character can get hurt and possibly die if they reacted wrong in a situation. There was a scene where my character and my friends character needed help and the rest of the group just simply ignored them. We tried to take the initiative and try to invite interaction between our characters and the rest of the group but we were ignored at that front as well.

My friend and I eventually got tired of it and confronted the Mod of the roleplay about our problem. They agreed the behavior wasn't the best and they promised to take action against it, but I'm not sure if they ever did.

I've always felt "self-inserts" creepy. Their username might have their irl name in it or when they introduce themselves they say, "Hi, I'm (name) I'd like to roleplay with you.' then their character shares the same name. It just rubs me the wrong way. I roleplay, not to be myself.

In the past year I've had two really great roleplays. Both were fun and easy to reply to with frequency. Then suddenly (both males) decided to slow down the RP and try to get me to do nsfw things with them ooc. I felt like it's a bait and switch. Like they think I'm so insecure they can manipulate me into sending nudes to continue the Rp.

This happened via reddit. I've leaned to look at their post and comment history. See if they are thirsty, posting and commenting on nudes or nsfw posts.

I've avoided a bunch of questionable people since. Lesson learned.

In one of my RPs, someone submitted a character the application was very well decorated, borders and coding and the like. They took a few liberties.

A few.

Now here's where my criticisms come in. Among things, I told him that his character was a fandom character, which might've resulted from him misintepreting the character conditions. Granted, about 5 other characters were made before his, none of which were fandom characters. Also, the way he reformatted the application caused it to lose certain sections to fill.

I told him to fix those issues, and if he did, I wouldn't be talking about him in this thread.

Instead, he began to type out a long rant about how he doesn't deserve to be rejected from the roleplay due to how much effort he put into the application. He also refused to insert the parts of the app he removed, saying that they were in, when they weren't.

Once, I was in this homebrew D&D campaign. Stylized after Warhammer, I think? Not familiar with the series, so I may be off.

Anyhow. I'm gay, so I made my character gay. I do that sometimes. The DM responded by describing a lengthy sequence in which my character was executed via beheading for being gay, and then banned me from the group so I couldn't respond. Honestly, I wasn't even really that hurt over it; just wondering "What the hell was that?"

Once, I was in this homebrew D&D campaign. Stylized after Warhammer, I think? Not familiar with the series, so I may be off.

Anyhow. I'm gay, so I made my character gay. I do that sometimes. The DM responded by describing a lengthy sequence in which my character was executed via beheading for being gay, and then banned me from the group so I couldn't respond. Honestly, I wasn't even really that hurt over it; just wondering "What the hell was that?"
Lisa.jpg

I used to run a sizable Discord for another unaffiliated Roleplay website and I usually was a surprisingly busy with it. There were plenty of people that wanted to write 1x1s with me at the time though I usually denied them for one reason or another which was connected to how busy I was running community events. I remember saying agreeing to write with this one girl who was a few years older than me. I was eighteen at the time so she must have been twenty-two or twenty-three. We decided that we were going to Roleplay through PMs on that website and got to planning our idea. I was working on my character template for a few days making minor changes to my character sheet when I had a free moment which she seemed cool with. I told her upfront that I was going to be slow as molasses and she seemed alright with it. She had some side projects that she was working on anyway and so did I.

But then I made the fatal mistake of expressing interest in another Roleplay.

She immediately went off on a tirade in PMs about how I was horrible, uncommitted, the worst person ever, etc. It started out passive aggressive enough though it escalated as time went on. I eventually ended up leaving the PM and blocking her. She disappeared for a few months, but she returned under a fake account that I was very quickly able to link to her. If she hadn't directly sought me out, then I probably would've never noticed her at all, but alas, I did because she immediately started interacting with one of my best friends at the time. She ended up going on DMs after I asked her about it saying how I was vindictive, spiteful, evil, needed to grow up, etc. I remember scratching my head wondering what set her off so quickly, but I think that I've come to the conclusion that she was probably under a lot of stress in real life or had an imbalance with her emotions. I know that it's like to have that, so I certainly don't hold it against her.

I wonder where she is today or how our Roleplay would've turned out.

I was 18. I was taking my baby steps into roleplay. I forget what site, maybe Wattpad? This was 4 years ago. And I still recall it.

I went onto a group roleplay, sol, the fun drama stuff. I express interest, I fill out a sheet. Now, other characters in the roleplay were queer, we had gays, we had a few bi characters, we had a transgirl. So I make the mistake of creating a Non-Binary character.

And this guy flies off the fucking handle at me. The only two genders rant, about how I was making up a bullshit gender thing that didn't exist, yada yada... The dm kicked him and he threw a hissy fit.

Afterwards, I was so shaken I quit. They assured me it wasn't my fault, but I don't regret not staying. I was too shaken up to enjoy myself. On the flipside, Transgirl character pm'd me and we got to talking. We were good friends for a while. Fell out of touch.

Hey I know this is sort of off topic but if you guys have the links to weird rp's/rp sites I would love to join them so I could troll and mess things up for the creeps playing in them, and I will take screen shots of the aftermath to either post here or in a different thread...

The worst roleplay experience ever is when I never got any roleplayers at all. Hate messages on Aniroleplay and all.

Atleast better then having toxic roleplayers, am I right?

Okay so basically, I was 12 years old and I was roleplaying on a Roleplay forum where the Roleplays are now dead and the site is more focused on virtual pets now.

Anyways, I was roleplaying with this guy who claimed I had made friends with and he basically kept my Roleplay alive and didn’t ditch. However, as I was roleplaying with him... I noticed red flags.

Red flag one: He bumped me every 30 minutes if I didn’t reply.

Red flag two: He wanted... smut. He kept asking me “when are we getting to the fun part?” Over and over

Red flag three: He was moving the Roleplay way too fast for my liking

And then.... his two characters raped my character over and over and at that point, I really wanted to leave the Roleplay. But I knew that if I left, he would keep bumping me and bothering me and if I blocked him, he would just tell a moderator that I need to unblock him and that he didn’t do anything wrong.

So, he pressured me into going along with roleplaying out smut and I was deeply uncomfortable with it. With no warning, he would take the Roleplay straight into a smut scene. And I had to go along with it.

Anyways, I soon mustered up the courage to nope outta that Roleplay and block him. And I made sure to tell a moderator. He wasn’t banned though but he never complained to a moderator.

This happened literally a few days ago, with a partner from a different site.

There were red flags all over -- almost every idea proposed was met with an argument, we couldn't settle on the theme for the setting, and my partner insisted I use a face claim of a famous actress, despite the appearance not matching the description I've provided. My partner also insisted that every detail matters, but refused to brainstorm farther than a post ahead. ????????

Then, he posted the opener, and it was riddled with mistakes, poor writing, horrible paragraph breaks. The post I could ignore -- everyone has their own style, bad days, maybe lack of inspiration -- but his insistence with my character's appearance made me uncomfortable. He kept trying to objectify my character in a way that he'd objectified his, with constant descriptions of their physical appearance, and asked that I add the details of how my character feels being looked at, what is being seen, etc.

It was just a mega yikes.

Plot went out the window. What mattered was how he imagined my character and I had to provide every single useless detail to bloat up my posts so his mind had an easier time seeing the picture.

What did it for me was receiving a message the next morning how I'm still not writing my posts right. But hey! Apparently some of my passages were well worded.

Still feeling self-conscious writing posts for my other partners. Like not adding the curvature of my character's breasts to my posts invalidates the whole thing.

Worst roleplay experience for me would be the time I was 13 and I was plotting out a Roleplay with a guy who wanted to Roleplay with me. And, he started to tell me that he wanted my character to look a certain way for his character.

He wanted my character to have a busty hourglass figure, blonde hair, and blue eyes. I thought nothing of at first and I thought he just had a preference. Well, Roleplay started and everything was going smooth until he wanted to do some explicit smut with my character. Remember, I was 13 at the time and I didn’t understand why people want to Roleplay smut instead of time skipping that part. And he was pushing for it in the Roleplay with his character making smutty advances on my character.

I said no and then I just immediately yeeted myself out of that thread and I blocked him to be on the safe side.

Worst roleplay experience for me would be the time I was 13 and I was plotting out a Roleplay with a guy who wanted to Roleplay with me. And, he started to tell me that he wanted my character to look a certain way for his character.

He wanted my character to have a busty hourglass figure, blonde hair, and blue eyes. I thought nothing of at first and I thought he just had a preference. Well, Roleplay started and everything was going smooth until he wanted to do some explicit smut with my character. Remember, I was 13 at the time and I didn’t understand why people want to Roleplay smut instead of time skipping that part. And he was pushing for it in the Roleplay with his character making smutty advances on my character.

I said no and then I just immediately yeeted myself out of that thread and I blocked him to be on the safe side.

Damn.

Reading some of these replies makes me feel lucky I've had no major issues up until now. Just the usual ghosting or slight disagreements

Over the years, I've made a lot of "just jump in!" group RPs. Which, sometimes you find some amazing players. And sometimes it all goes to chaos very quickly. (Usually both!) Most of these crashed and burned.

But one was just ... such chaos that I couldn't even let it die a natural death. I was gone for just a few hours and came back to find that two players had posted like 20 times and taken the story off the deep end, one even narrating how they killed several of the other PCs in the process. Probably the most extreme case of godmodding I've ever seen.

So I godmodded right back and broke out the good ol' GM stand by:

Rock falls. Everybody dies.

The End

I have two instances that I think go up there in "worst roleplaying experiences". It's hard for me to say which one I find is worse so...

In recent years I'd joined a friend's RWBY fandom roleplay group and expected it to be fine since we were "friends". But nope. She and her boyfriend tried to pressure me into shipping my character with her boyfriend's in a sexual way. Her boyfriend would PM me and try to roleplay smut! I won't say that it ruined me towards group roleplays, but I'm extremely skeptical when joining any. Lowkey another thing that annoyed me about that group: The friend would try and pressure her own boyfriend to make his character bi-curious even when he didn't want to. So yeah, I was happy when that group died out. (I hope it's fine to mention this story at least? I know other people have mentioned similar but I still get nervous lol)

The other happened when I was younger, also a group roleplay. It happened on Gaia and I don't really remember all that happened, only it was really dumb 🤷‍♀️ The GM was salty and jealous because the guy she liked was constantly talking to people other than her. She was constantly getting into arguments with other people over the most petty of reasons. I remember explicitly how she used her mental health as a way to garner sympathy. And she even came pretty close to threatening to off herself. I also got pressured into shipping my character with someone else's then. Eventually she stepped down as GM and my best friend stepped up. Even then though, it still didn't work out because this lady that quit would try and cause trouble from the outside and even, at one point, wanted the position back. But... She's the one that gave it up in the first place, so I mean???

Bonus round! I also had a roleplaying friend when I was younger that I didn't realize had been toxic until muuuch later. They weren't a toxic person, but the way we were roleplaying was toxic. Just generally too much angst, no happiness, not much fluff. I remember it got bad enough that I cried a lot, but I was just plain addicted to the angst. I genuinely think that it damaged my mental health a bit. There were times I'd step away, realize that it'd gotten pretty bad, and then go off into the deep end again. I had to basically take a huge step back and realize that they weren't a good roleplaying partner for me.

I think one of my worst roleplay experiences was when I was around 16, with a guy my age who had a huge crush on me. Who would get...extremely upset if I didn't respond to roleplays, which just made me not want to roleplay with him even more.

I'll spoiler this since it talks about heavy things like actual abuse. typos because I'm tired.
Anyways I had a boyfriend at the time (who was also a bad person lol) but I was friends with a guy who was in love with me, of course I didn't return the same feelings.
we would roleplay our ocs a lot but I would struggle to reply in a quick enough amount of time, or I would get distracted and couldn't rp. I was also unmedicated at the time so my attention span was even worse.
Soda would start gaslighting me a lot for this. I don't know what the proper term is but he would claim he was going to kill himself and I would have to talk him down from it several times. He would often say that /I/ was the reason he was going to kill himself, because I didn't love him in a romantic type of way.

And what does he say when ever I calm him down? Asks me to reply to the RP and that it'll ""help him feel better""
This shit made me not want to rp with him. It's not like I could win. Force myself to write a reply to him even when I feel exhausted from talking him out of dying, or I don't reply and I look like an asshole because he makes me feel like one. It stopped being enjoyable to write with him at all which was upsetting because RP is a form of escape to me, and my IRL life was already horrific. 2015 was a horrible year. u_u

I think that was one of my worst experiences in roleplay. All the guilt tripping he did was horrible. He also did more unforgiving things but I'm not going to go into that. I've now cut him off and he's out of my life.
Thankfully this didn't ruin my ability to roleplay with others....

/endrant

Mine was really recent, actually! I feel kind of bad saying this but the person that wanted to RP with me talked like a person from 2009 on the internet. You know, the "LOL RANDOM XD" Kind of person? I'm not saying it's bad, but I'm saying it's not good to RP like that.

So, anyways, the bad part about this RP wasn't really the fact that they RPed like that with emoticons and stuff, but it was because I got a feeling that they were a... not good person. Like maybe I was wrong? He just kept flirting with my character who is 16 years old, so I really hope he was, like, a minor or something...

I feel bad that I decided to delete my old DA account to make a new one shortly after. It wasn't because of him? But still...

Worst experience?

I can think of two.

One was certainly when someone decided they had a crush on me and thus continuously sent me inappropriate images and questions pertaining to what type of inappropriate photos they hoped I had on my phone. It made me massively uncomfortable and even more so when they would put my character into odd sexual situations to the point where both of them (I played a man and woman) were violently raped. I rather quickly blocked and reported this individual. This was on a different site and I am happy to at I have never seen anything quite this bad here.

My second experience is a little less extreme but it was more mentally taxing for me. It started out fine, though looking back I suppose there were red flags at the beginning. It all lasted about a year maybe two, if forget, but they were definitely the most... demanding partner I had ever had. Very picky and particular, they got upset if my characters did not act the exact way they wanted them to. They also tended to get upset if a particular scene did not go how they desired and while they always claimed I had full control of my own characters, they pretty much would demand all of them act the way they wanted them to or else they would get upset.

It got frustrating as it was very much "rules for thee and none for me" as they hogged all the character spotlight and got upset if I ever did anything that slightly pushed my characters into the lime light and would accuse me of being unfair and "just doing things to start drama" even though I was just trying to get my characters to be more of main characters in the story. They would also guilt trip me if I said anything about things I don't like. I was not allowed to be unhappy with the way the RP went. It got so mentally taxing I had to end it. And after they basically mocked and slandered me for not working out with them and had the gal to call me "inherently a dick" when they had spent the entire day mocking me, I decided to end the friendship entirely since they obviously never actually treated me as such.

But other than those two, people have been really great to me so I really don't have many complaints on RP sites haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back