Experiences What was your worst roleplay experience?

Well, to be honest, I should probably be thankful and consider myself lucky that I haven't experienced any truly horrible roleplays, despite having roleplayed since 2014 on multiple sites. However, the worst was probably when I spent over an hour writing up a several paragraph intro post only for my partner to respond with a one-liner.

In present tense.

With horrible grammar and spelling.

And all lowercase.

I dropped the RP shortly after that.

Hello all! I'm aware this thread probably already exists somewhere, but I couldn't find it, so here I am.
The title is pretty self explanatory - rant to me about the worst roleplay experience you've ever had. Was it sad? Disappointing? Frustrating? Just plain weird? I wanna know.
Here, I'll go first.

I've been roleplaying for a long time now. Only very seriously for a couple of years, though. It started, technically, when I was ten. The first roleplay I was ever in was on a site called Khan Academy, which is primarily for, like, learning math or something. But it does have a very handy comment section on basically everything. So one day, I stumbled across this gigantic thread full of roleplaying, and I hopped right in and found that it was one of the most fun things I'd ever taken part in, and that particular roleplay continued for around a year, until the owners of the site deleted it overnight because it was "off topic". We didn't even get to save our work.
That's not the bad thing though. (Yes, it was tragic, but things went solidly downhill from there, don't worry.)
I met this guy through the roleplay. He was sixteen at the time and I no older than ten or eleven. He asked to do a roleplay with me off-site because he thought I was really good at writing for my age, and invited me to a google doc. It started out as a mystery, but before we could even get into it, it started to take a turn. Lots of really, really graphic and utterly disgusting scenes, he spent like an hour giving me "the talk" that my parents had neglected to give me just so he could subject me to a roleplay that was 0% plot and 100% NSFW.
I stopped there, and haven't really heard from him or anyone else in the roleplay since, except for my best friend who also talked to the kid on occasion. I wasn't really "scarred for life" or anything, just really disgusted.

So there's my story - what about yours?

Oh my gosh, I was just waiting for a thread like this to pop up!

So a long while ago, I stumbled upon this site called Quotev while searching for Creepypasta and FNAF reader inserts. (I was a shameless Jeff The Killer fangirl) I found a guy who, in my eyes, wrote good Foxy fanfics, so I messaged him, and we got chatting. Eventually, he asked me if I wanted to roleplay a plot that he had created. It was Pokemon, but instead of Pokemon, it used the animatronics of FNAF that had existed so far. He explained the concept of roleplay to me, and we got into it. Script style, self inserting, one-liners, no replies for months at a time from him, and lots of NSFW. Swearing, violence, the widdlywoo, and the like. Eventually, I got into roleplaying with others and fell out of touch with him. I try to contact him occasionally through Quotev, but he never replies despite being active.

So, yeah. Very strange experience to say the least. I hope he's gotten better at roleplay now.

It started out as a mystery, but before we could even get into it, it started to take a turn. Lots of really, really graphic and utterly disgusting scenes, he spent like an hour giving me "the talk" that my parents had neglected to give me just so he could subject me to a roleplay that was 0% plot and 100% NSFW.
I stopped there, and haven't really heard from him or anyone else in the roleplay since, except for my best friend who also talked to the kid on occasion. I wasn't really "scarred for life" or anything, just really disgusted.

So there's my story - what about yours?

Ick. I imagine a lot of these are going to be in that kind of realm, because it unfortunately happens a lot.

I've got two to share.

The first is similar to yours. We were on a different RP Website, but it had similar rules on No Smut, so I wasn't expecting it, and I didn't at all WANT it. I was part of a group roleplay at the time, back when I used to like those, lol. The story was about a group who's going to find out what's wrong with the world, why things are slowly decaying, etc. Spoiler: it was a Lich. We never made it that far. Within the first couple of pages, my character and another had a fade-to-black moment (we agreed our characters knew each other from before). It should have ended there. It did not. I received a PM from the player, not only DESCRIBING what happened, but controlling my character.
Needless to say I reported it, but the response I received from reporting it is one of the reasons I am no longer on that website.

The second was sort of a slow-burn experience, but it's made me touchy with some RPers now. I had a long-running RP with another person, nearly a year if not a year, and it started out great, until that person gradually became both more demanding, and more critiquing, in the PMs. Either I wasn't writing enough anymore, or the characters were no longer to their liking, or they questioned why I wasn't being descriptive enough. I gave in to what they wanted, and then that was a problem. In the end, I had to end the RP because it was far more stressful than it was fun. Now, whenever someone starts to pick apart the way a character is presented, canons, ocs, whatever, or come across as terribly argumentative or nit-picky rather than inquisitive, I tend to back up immediately. Trying to work on that, because I know with some it's fairly innocent curiosity or a genuine critic/confusion on presentation, but man...

Edit: OH! And the constant guilting me, with the second one! That probably made that the worst experience. Guilting and comparing me to others or even to myself in other roleplays...

Oddly mine weren’t smut related just weird entitlement.

Scenario 1: guy let’s me do all the world building for a magical girl roleplay. I come up with the bad guys, setting, mascots, and write the opening scene (our characters meeting magical mascot and getting transportation devices). His response “I thought this was sailor moon roleplay, I am out.”

Like did you not read the weeks worth of information I wrote for us? The stuff you said was fine?

Scenario 2: This girl tried to add her fetish to a scenario I came up with, I said no. I blocked her when she got huffy. Fast forward to me making a new account (I think the old one was hacked or I forgot the pass). She contacts me about my deal breakers (no smut) and basically gets snobby and offended cuz I won’t do her fetish. Acts like I am wasting her time when SHE contacted me on MY interest check.

Last edited:
God okay I have a few stories that I'd be happy to share.

So these first two both happened on Wattpad. Yes, the site where a lot of those terrifyingly bad fanfics get written. It has a really good comment section system so there's also a very big roleplaying community on there, at least when I was super active a few years ago there was. It was actually my introduction to serious roleplaying since before that I'd do so on Minecraft servers on the typical magic highschool creative plots one, you know the drill.

I had a 1x1 roleplaying book on there where I would write out the forms of maybe 10-15, sometimes 20 different characters on different chapter with scenarios and people could choose between them. There was a chapter specifically for rules, for the players own forms, and also for requests if they have a specific character they want me to play!
At the time I was about 11-12 and one of my most major rules was that I only wanted to SFW roleplays, and people generally respected that since everyone on there basically is a preteen like I was. However every once in a while there'd be someone who's a lot older who wouldn't read them through and try to do them and usually, I could stop them and be like, "Hey! I'm a 7th grader! Stop it :-)" and they would. However one time, this girl who I think was about 18-19 came in and wrote out her character SPECIFICALLY for a NSFW roleplay. Not only that, but her character was a MAP, or at least was attracted to adults who looked younger, like 12-14ish. She was an 18-year-old Neko maid girl who was written basically to be a dom in some weird BDSM shit (no offence if you're into that! But I mean... I was 12). I did the usual and told her that I wasn't comfortable with any of it but I was also a total pushover so instead of telling her to bug off I told her to instead fix the character. She did, thankfully and then proceeded to REQUEST a character who was supposed to be the same age as her OC, but the picture looked like she was a child. At that point, I completely kicked her out since I was just totally creeped out and I blocked her, but I still have the comments and everything since it's so entertaining to read through.

The second story is partly a horror story in how certain characters with mental health issues were written really really bad... like it's kind of mortifying to think back on. from an old account I had that I deleted because I got overwhelmed. I was really into Undertale so I made a 1x1 book for Undertale and made a bunch of OCs for different AUs. The OCs were honestly kind of cool, and I still have them but have changed them to be full-on original to my universe.
This girl went through the roleplay system perfectly fine and everything was good until we actually got to the roleplay. My character was a pseudo-narrator who guided her's through the underground and could commune with other dimensions for other AUs since she was dead. Her's was a character from the Underfell AU who accidentally landed in the canon one upon reset and was trying to get back to Underfell to meet her Sans boyfriend or w/e again so mine was assisting her. It sounds ridiculous but honestly, it was interesting at the time.
As we went on she decided that this au sans had! DID! I've always been all for going into mental health issues or political issues or ethical things in roleplays, however, the way she portrayed this was so derogatory and such a complete theatrical misunderstanding of what DID is that even when I was like... 11 I just had to stop because I could not handle it. I even tried to explain to her in DMs why that was wrong and why she shouldn't do that but I think we can all infer how it ended.

My final story is way more recent, probably two or three weeks ago? It's not as interesting but to me, just as infuriating since there were a lot of parts to it and it was actually my first roleplay, I did on here. I'm gonna explain it a little differently too since there were so many smaller things.
Nothing against my partner, she was honestly really nice and the story we both had in mind was something I was really looking forward to fleshing out, but I personally get really angry and frustrated really easily when it comes to these sort of things so for me the entire experience was very stressful. At least I got a good workout out of it though lmao!
1.) Her character felt like she had no thoughts, whatsoever. I can't remember more than one moment when she had any sort of inner monologue, and the one I can remember was only something along the lines of "(Character name) didn't like that very much.."
2.) She switched between present tense and past tense within sentences. It felt sort of like she was writing as fast as she could, slapped a font on it, and sent it without reading it over or editing it after even.
3.) This is more of a personal thing that I admittedly should have asked her to stop, but there are certain fonts I cannot read! At all! When reading even Times New Roman sometimes I find it rather difficult, and she was typing with this one. Looking back I definitely should've said something, but this was my first one on this site so for the first week or so I was kind of a total wimp when it came to communication.
4.) She started controlling a bunch of NPCs that I already had control over?? Like she didn't like how I was personifying them but instead of saying something she did a total 180 on their personalities I was trying to make them like snobbish elitists since they were in extremely powerful positions and it seemed realistic to me, but she decided to change them to be empathetic to those under them?? I don't get it but I mean...
5.) On her post, she asked specifically for no one-liners... like she made a big deal out of the fact she didn't like one-liners, and yet she did them herself!! Like, CONSTANTLY!!!! Girl, come ON!!
6.) I follow the 1x1 interest check forum just to look at them since I think half the time I have more fun fantasizing rather than roleplaying, and I saw in one of her interest checks that she posted she stated she was an adult and wanted to roleplay SPECIFICALLY with adults. I'm 15 (not to be a staple 15-year-old but I am basically 16)! I have it shown to the public on my profile that I am such since I know there are a number of people on there who prefer to roleplay with someone either above 18 or under 18. It is veeeeery easy to see that since it's not even just in my bio I have it put into the site that I am that age. She did not have her age on her profile, she did not say that in her original interest check, and I literally just assumed she was my age since her style of roleplaying was reminiscent of people I go to school with and vaguely of my girlfriend's. At this point, I 100% should've dipped out and honestly I can't really remember what I was thinking at the time even though it was only a few weeks ago, I think I just had some big plans for the story and was too invested on making an attempt to get to a part where they'd be able to go through them.
7.) THIS, however, this was the final straw. one too many pins on the camel's back (is that the phrase? who knows..). She. Switched from 3rd person. to 2nd person. And sent it thinking it was a good idea. This one thing made me so mad that I aced a level in Beat Saber that I'd been too slow to do correctly for the past month. I waited a few hours to see if she would catch it and fix it maybe since I knew she was checking the DMs every once in a while and I didn't (still don't) know if it was appropriate to mention that sort of thing. I know people have things they want when it comes to literacy, detail, grammar, you know the gist, but I'm not the greatest as expressing my concerns about things without thinking about it for upwards of 3 hours or getting really really really mad, so I tend to either do the former or not say anything and let it go. Obviously, I did not let it go though...
With all that stuff combined, I dropped her really fast. What a nightmare.

Thankfully now I have one partner on here that I really enjoy roleplaying with!! I'm really glad joining this forum wasn't a mistake lol

I used to RP on another site and I kept getting into really strange situations and bringing down entire RP's with the residual awkwardness. Shit was awful and 99.99% my fault smh

I once roleplayed with a person who kept disappearing of the face of the earth for like three-four weeks at a time. And then when she finally made a post, she would instantly go into the fucking OOC thread and try to guilt trip everyone into posting and once someone replied to her she'd disappear for another three-four weeks and repeat the whole nonsense again.

Back when I was 17, I think, I was roleplaying with this girl. And in short, I won't go into it. But after she tried to justify controlling my character into some uuuuuh questionable stuff-and I mean some ugly stuff-I quit. Blocked her. Left the site.

... I wonder how I didn't realize sooner how bad that was.

I really dislike my characters being controlled by other people, unless I give them permission for certain scenes (but those cases are always discussed in advance).

I had that kind of experience when I was still fairly new to roleplaying. I joined a group rp (big mistake! But back then I was still exploring different types of rp). It was some sort of generic fantasy adventure stuff with a party of characters exploring a cave. Things went alright until a new player joined. He immediately started drawing attention to his character who was the Ultimate Edgelord and Brutal Assassin For No Reason archetype. At some point during an episode where the party was fighting a monster, that player literally ended the fight by killing all other player characters and the monster single-handedly in one very long and descriptive post. He wrote about our characters being killed as if they struggled but could not do anything against his character. Not only it was godmoding, it was also full of explicit gore details. After that most players quit the roleplay (myself included) because we didn't want to deal with that person.

At a group RP from a long time ago, I'd agreed to the idea of a romance with another character. The player got possessive af real quick (our characters weren't even together yet). They would be hostile to other players who would so much as comment about my character, as well as leave weird, bordering-on-creepy comments about our characters on the OOC chat. When I called them out on it, they'd talk about how I was ashamed of our character's "relationship". Eventually had to leave the RP because I was getting uncomfortable.

At a group RP from a long time ago, I'd agreed to the idea of a romance with another character. The player got possessive af real quick (our characters weren't even together yet). They would be hostile to other players who would so much as comment about my character, as well as leave weird, bordering-on-creepy comments about our characters on the OOC chat. When I called them out on it, they'd talk about how I was ashamed of our character's "relationship". Eventually had to leave the RP because I was getting uncomfortable.
Jeez. They got way too into a romance between characters before it could even happen. That's a new level of freaky.

Jeez. They got way too into a romance between characters before it could even happen. That's a new level of freaky.

Honestly, that's not even the part that bothered me! Plotting can get out-of-hand sometimes, and since most of my partners have wanted a romance element to the RP, I'm used to it. (That said, we didn't actually plot extensively beyond them making comments about how our characters should get together, and me finally giving in because my character's supposed to be a bit of a flirt anyway) What I don't like is when other people get dragged down because of it (someone off-handedly mentioned how they shipped my character and his secretary of sorts, and the player went REEEEE, basically).

I really like writing in a group setting, but sometimes there's just that one person who's a drama magnet, I suppose. XD

Wow didn’t know smut was such a problem.
Mine actually happened here on rpn. I won’t name anyone because I’m not that type of guy but it was...interesting.

the story was a fantasy genre setting that had ancient ruins, monsters, etc. the character I made was a native to the desert who made a living essentially being a ruins spelunker. He wasn’t too powerful just really alert and agile for a human being but by no means a superhuman. The offender was actually the maker of the rp but his character was some kind of knight from another country. There were also two female characters which become important later on.

we started in the desert my character Lived in with a sandstorm rolling in so our characters happened to flee into some ruins. I actually posted that my character scanned the area for traps and such and that he Carefully progressed while making sure he stepped lightly. This guy then has his character just catch some poisoned dart that came from the wall that my character “didn’t notice” Then proceeded to lead the way down a hallway. One of the female characters rode a lizard further into the ruins and the guy followed her.

the second female character was a younger girl who was a less experienced spelunker and she herself stated that she was hit with the poison dart and she began to fall down the stairs leading into the lower cavern which the GM said was 100 meters below the ground. My character being all agile and whatnot caught her (good thing too because a fall down 300ft worth of stairs is definitely fatal.) then began to apply a primitive solution to all poisons...a snake venom that boils the blood used in a dosage enough to cause high fever that will essentially cause the body to react by sweating profusely thus filtering out the poison. It was a rough process and she was a very descriptive writer who made it look damned good... however I was getting more attention than that guy was...

so he had a random baddie walk up behind my guy and stab him. Mind you My dude was in a stairwell with his back to the stone wall of the tunnel the stairs were in where He could clearly see both up and down the stairwell. So this guy phasewalked through several meters of ground and stabbed me in the back with no ability to react. As if that wasn’t bad enough...the sword was enchanted to “take away ones will to live” so you know basically can’t do anything but get stabbed. I’m not proud of it but since all the RP etiquette was seemingly tossed out I responded by deleting all my posts in the thread thus killing the RP there. I did try to talk it over with him and his first response was “My RP my Rules.” No effort was made to explain it or even justify it so I dipped in an immature way.

Did I do the right thing with my vengeance? Probably not
Did if feel great at the time? 100% Yes.

Mine actually happened here on rpn. I won’t name anyone because I’m not that type of guy but it was...interesting.

the story was a fantasy genre setting that had ancient ruins, monsters, etc. the character I made was a native to the desert who made a living essentially being a ruins spelunker. He wasn’t too powerful just really alert and agile for a human being but by no means a superhuman. The offender was actually the maker of the rp but his character was some kind of knight from another country. There were also two female characters which become important later on.

we started in the desert my character Lived in with a sandstorm rolling in so our characters happened to flee into some ruins. I actually posted that my character scanned the area for traps and such and that he Carefully progressed while making sure he stepped lightly. This guy then has his character just catch some poisoned dart that came from the wall that my character “didn’t notice” Then proceeded to lead the way down a hallway. One of the female characters rode a lizard further into the ruins and the guy followed her.

the second female character was a younger girl who was a less experienced spelunker and she herself stated that she was hit with the poison dart and she began to fall down the stairs leading into the lower cavern which the GM said was 100 meters below the ground. My character being all agile and whatnot caught her (good thing too because a fall down 300ft worth of stairs is definitely fatal.) then began to apply a primitive solution to all poisons...a snake venom that boils the blood used in a dosage enough to cause high fever that will essentially cause the body to react by sweating profusely thus filtering out the poison. It was a rough process and she was a very descriptive writer who made it look damned good... however I was getting more attention than that guy was...

so he had a random baddie walk up behind my guy and stab him. Mind you My dude was in a stairwell with his back to the stone wall of the tunnel the stairs were in where He could clearly see both up and down the stairwell. So this guy phasewalked through several meters of ground and stabbed me in the back with no ability to react. As if that wasn’t bad enough...the sword was enchanted to “take away ones will to live” so you know basically can’t do anything but get stabbed. I’m not proud of it but since all the RP etiquette was seemingly tossed out I responded by deleting all my posts in the thread thus killing the RP there. I did try to talk it over with him and his first response was “My RP my Rules.” No effort was made to explain it or even justify it so I dipped in an immature way.

He ghosted you, so you ghosted him back! An eye for an eye and all that.

You're my hero.
Also I think you did the right thing, but then again I'm known for spite, haha.
Lol well you are named Lucyfer so it makes sense hehehe.
The part that got me was the illogic of the scene and the removal of free will. That’s my biggest pet peeve period. I may be a little crazy for it but I actually put myself in my characters shoes and put ample thought into how they will react that does them justice...not being able to react in any way other than what someone else writes is madness inducing.

Well tbh you don't owe anyone your work, or to be able to use your previous posts if you want to leave the RP. If you tried to talk to him and it failed then I don't think it could be said that you did the wrong thing. The "My RP, my rules" people get way out of hand sometimes. Given the way he GMed, it seemed destined for the RP to die anyway. No one likes a god-modding auto-hitter.

I think there was another thread like this before ... so I might be repeating myself here but here goes:

My worst RP experience was, far and away, a feudal Japan RP I joined on RPGW. I honestly don't have a beef against Gateway, it just so happens that I had a lot of dubious experiences there, lol.

I finally find someone who is interested in feudal Japan RP! Not only that but they ran a feudal Japan RP and me turning up made them decide to reboot it. Wow, good stuff so far, right? Ho ho ho.

They have a cool scenario laid out, and I decide to play a character whose role was one that needed filling - the chief retainer to a female daimyo who had gone mad. They lost their territory and had to try to get it back and retrieve there honour and so forth. There was a lot of OOC talk about how the characters would fit with each other, what their relationships would be and so on, and I wrote a character sheet that was about 2000 words or so.

We had a writepad where we would chat OOC, and given timezones, I was always around with this one other player, let's call 'em Lenny, and we would chat shit and generally write silly scenarios for our characters, former best friends, to get into and things of that nature. What I didn't realise at this point was that the GM and the other people in the RP were a clique who went way back and me and this other person were "outsiders".

So the GM was really keen to get us "plotting", yet she would never tell me what the plot she had in mind actually was, or what the characters' objectives were supposed to be ... not to mention she and her friends would be on the writepad and then delete it afterwards. Also, my first glorious red flag was that she would repeatedly shoot down any efforts of mine to add anything to the so-called plot either by ignoring it completely or being like "But you don't UNDERSTAND. That isn't what the plot IS."

We got one introductory post from about half the players into the RP. We had a couple of false starts because GM kept forgetting her password and locked out of her accounts.

Then she got super mad at me. SUPER MAD. Like ... explosive style, because, she said, I was planning to take over the RP and make my character the lord. And it didn't all centre around me! What the heck was I trying to r u i n it? This was because Lenny and I had been ... chatting shit and writing silly scenarios for our characters on the writepad ... like your basic comedy what-if scenarios.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but separating IC and OOC is the first golden rule of RPing and yet...

Anyway she really tore into me to the point that I also got super mad, but instead of retaliating on her I just told her I was leaving, and deleted my post.

Funnily enough ... the RP died immediately.

I've never had an RP that seemed so promising in the planning stage that went to such ultimate rotten cabbage in the actual RPing stage.

A TWO THOUSAND WORD CHARACTER SHEET I WROTE FOR THAT GARBAGE. 😡

Luckily I got over it and moved on because that's what you gotta do, but I was very, very wary of RPing with new people on there after that.

And so ends my cautionary tale. XD

I think there was another thread like this before ... so I might be repeating myself here but here goes:

My worst RP experience was, far and away, a feudal Japan RP I joined on RPGW. I honestly don't have a beef against Gateway, it just so happens that I had a lot of dubious experiences there, lol.

I finally find someone who is interested in feudal Japan RP! Not only that but they ran a feudal Japan RP and me turning up made them decide to reboot it. Wow, good stuff so far, right? Ho ho ho.

They have a cool scenario laid out, and I decide to play a character whose role was one that needed filling - the chief retainer to a female daimyo who had gone mad. They lost their territory and had to try to get it back and retrieve there honour and so forth. There was a lot of OOC talk about how the characters would fit with each other, what their relationships would be and so on, and I wrote a character sheet that was about 2000 words or so.

We had a writepad where we would chat OOC, and given timezones, I was always around with this one other player, let's call 'em Lenny, and we would chat shit and generally write silly scenarios for our characters, former best friends, to get into and things of that nature. What I didn't realise at this point was that the GM and the other people in the RP were a clique who went way back and me and this other person were "outsiders".

So the GM was really keen to get us "plotting", yet she would never tell me what the plot she had in mind actually was, or what the characters' objectives were supposed to be ... not to mention she and her friends would be on the writepad and then delete it afterwards. Also, my first glorious red flag was that she would repeatedly shoot down any efforts of mine to add anything to the so-called plot either by ignoring it completely or being like "But you don't UNDERSTAND. That isn't what the plot IS."

We got one introductory post from about half the players into the RP. We had a couple of false starts because GM kept forgetting her password and locked out of her accounts.

Then she got super mad at me. SUPER MAD. Like ... explosive style, because, she said, I was planning to take over the RP and make my character the lord. And it didn't all centre around me! What the heck was I trying to r u i n it? This was because Lenny and I had been ... chatting shit and writing silly scenarios for our characters on the writepad ... like your basic comedy what-if scenarios.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but separating IC and OOC is the first golden rule of RPing and yet...

Anyway she really tore into me to the point that I also got super mad, but instead of retaliating on her I just told her I was leaving, and deleted my post.

Funnily enough ... the RP died immediately.

I've never had an RP that seemed so promising in the planning stage that went to such ultimate rotten cabbage in the actual RPing stage.

A TWO THOUSAND WORD CHARACTER SHEET I WROTE FOR THAT GARBAGE. 😡

Luckily I got over it and moved on because that's what you gotta do, but I was very, very wary of RPing with new people on there after that.

And so ends my cautionary tale. XD
That’s so lame sounds to me like you did everything correctly and they were just on that high school bullcrap. It saddens me to hear that such effort was wasted it’s a terrible feeling to lose such effort...especially if you like the premise of the story.

If you still have that type of resolve to type up 2000 word character sheets (or even half that) then I may have a good place for ya in one of mine on here. I can message you a link if you want if not I totally understand.

I have three that I can think of-two is just sorta funny, the other is actually kind of unsettling.

The first relates to a person I met on a different RP website, a long while ago. We shipped the same very rare pairing from a fandom, so I was initially very excited to RP it with them. Now, over time (over the course of several months in fact), I began to drift out of the fandom and get into different things, as well as taking a bit of a hiatus due to some IRL obligations. Now, most RP partners might be dissaponted, but would move on and simply find other people to get their RP fix with, yeah?

....No.

This person started messaging me incessantly, on almost every platform, practically begging to continue even though I simply was no longer interested. They even insisted that they needed the RP in order to sustain their mental health, whatever the hell that means. Blocked them, haven't looked back since.

The second one has to do with a group RP on a different platform (it's always the group RPs, huh?) Now, initially, it went very well-it was a next gen Harry Potter thing, and I'd snatched up James Sirius Potter, which I was very excited about. I knew two people in the group from other things and had written with them before, so I figured even if there was trouble, I could just stick with those people and have fun anyway.

Not entirely.

So, in the canon, James' brother Albus is a bit more of a main character. The person playing Albus seemed INSISTANT that this be brought to the forefront. I didn't really care, because I had already plotted out some things with other people, so it didn't matter to me. But, in interactions, the person decided to force conflict between James and Albus, for no reason at all-implying that James was homophobic, the favorite child, and all sorts of weird projection stuff. I eventually just stopped responding to them whenever they tried to tag me in a scene.

But it doesn't stop there, of course. I think in hindsight this had to do with us all being late high-school/early college age, but come to find out that these people took everything that happened to their characters EXTREMELY personally. Like, if my character disliked theirs for whatever reason, they for some reason interpreted this to mean that I hated them, specifically, as a person. One individual even claimed to "have an anxiety attack" over IC interactions that had literally nothing to do with them.

There was some fun stuff about that RP that I really enjoyed, so I don't regret being part of it. But oh man did stuff get WILD-everyone seemed to want their character to be bullied and picked on, and if whatever ship they planned didn't end up working, they would go on to post angsty shit about it like it was an actual breakup....It was incredible, in some ways.

The last story is the shortest, and might not seem as scary, but it disturbed me the most. I met someone through Discord who was interested in starting an RP based off a kind of slice-of-life thing. No problem, aside from the fact that I had to do pretty much all the plotting. But shit quickly began to get weird. Our characters were high school age, but it seemed like this person kept asking for them to be younger and younger....Like, elementary school age. While still keeping romance a thing......

Maybe I overreacted, but it freaked me out, so I noped the hell out of there, blocked them, and have tried not to consider the implications of it since.

Not a chance. 🤣

Thanks for the offer but I'm kinda full up of roleplays right now and behind on all of them. 🙂
Gotcha. Hope you catch up...that hanging post boulder can get heavy which in turn makes the desire harder to carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back