Experiences What was your worst Mary Sue experience?

peritwinkle

♠️your local Raphael♠️
Helper
We've all heard of the infamous Mary Sue and her terribly written, horrifyingly bland and linear personality. Whether you have written such characters yourself in the past or encountered one in a partner's own, what was your worst experience with a Mary Sue?

Well my worst experience was someone who was supposed to be writing a canon character ironically enough. Which I think sort of illustrates the main problem with Sue's, it's not the character it's the person behind the character.

So this person (we'll call them K) joined a roleplay about the CW tv show The Flash. And they wanted to play the title character (The Flash himself) who was still available. The rules of the roleplay were as follows :

1. You used an image of the character from the TV show. (OC's had to have real face claims attached)
2. You wrote 3 paragraphs per post
3. You wrote in third person POV.

There were a few other rules obviously but those were the ones K took the most issue with.

First they wanted to use a hand drawn image of an OC character for the Flash. GM was like, No we're using the actors from the show. Here is an image for your CS.

Second they couldn't write three paragraphs, they averaged about one. Well the GM and the rest of us tried to offer them tips for fleshing out their posts. They basically ended up copy and pasting our own replies in rainbow colors with maybe three word responses attached.

Third they wanted to be able to write in first person because they didn't have practice in third person. Once again they ended up just copying other people's responses to get around this.

Well needless to say this person was horrible roleplayer. They were also super obssessed with their characters solving all the issues of the roleplay in like four words or less.

During my early days of roleplaying I signed up to some group rp. It was fantasy adventure with exploring dungeons and fighting bosses.
Our party was getting through a dungeon and got to a boss.
A new character joined the rp when we were already started fighting the boss. The character was very overpowered, killed the boss in one single post and then killed all our characters as well. To "win" the rp.
So everyone was confused how to continue the rp if our characters were dead.
Needless to say, that rp kinda stopped after that, GM didn't resolve the problem. I'm not even sure why they accepted new character when rp was in progress, could have at least waited for us to finish the boss arc, but oh well.

During my early days of roleplaying I signed up to some group rp. It was fantasy adventure with exploring dungeons and fighting bosses.
A new character joined the rp when we were already started fighting the boss. The character was very overpowered, killed the boss in one single post and then killed all our characters as well. To "win" the rp.
Needless to say, that rp kinda stopped after that, GM didn't resolve the problem. I'm not even sure why they accepted new character when rp was in progress, could have at least waited for us to finish the boss arc, but oh well.

'Tis why I never start a RP without planning ahead.

See you should have haunted the other player as vengeful ghosts. And stated outright since they murdered you none of their powers would work against you.

EDIT- And then just whatever B.S. they pulled out of their ass you would over power cuz your all powerful ghosts. And when they took their toys and left just reset the roleplay back to the boss fight and have the whole thing be a hallucination brought on by XXX mcguffin by the boss battle.

- Like I was in a battle royale roleplay where the plot was actually - Kill all other characters and win the roleplay. But the GM stated up front that the people who died would have their own side roleplay. And that they could come up with their own story once enough people where in the "Ghost" Roleplay.

See you should have haunted the other player as vengeful ghosts. And stated outright since they murdered you none of their powers would work against you.

Brilliant! XDDD
But back than it was one of my first rp, I was still shy and didn't think of anything like that. Probably this is why I remember it as a worst Mary sue experience lol

I actually had another Mary Sue rp where pretty much all characters were Mary Sue in their own way. But when everyone is OP then no one is, so it was actually pretty fun for a while. Then it got a bit stale and fell apart.

Brilliant! XDDD
But back than it was one of my first rp, I was still shy and didn't think of anything like that. Probably this is why I remember it as a worst Mary sue experience lol

I actually had another Mary Sue rp where pretty much all characters were Mary Sue in their own way. But when everyone is OP then no one is, so it was actually pretty fun for a while. Then it got a bit stale and fell apart.

lol fair enough, an idea for the future then. i mean in fairness we all start out a little shy. I am however really stubborn and petty when I get annoyed. So I would have either ignored the person or just continued on as an indestructible ghost.

It's been a long time since I've interacted with any Sues, but I know when I started out I was the Sue. I would create the worst characters thinking they were so great. They were usually just rip offs of canon characters who had powers and abilities that existed way outside of the fandoms canon.

I was the literal worst. I've at least improved over the years tho.

So, a little while ago, maybe a year or so, I was browsing the recruitment section, looking for a nice rp. So I find one, the idea is basically "Pokemon, but in America", we'd basically map ourselves traversing the country going to each gym. I love the idea, make a nice char, and literally drop myself off a train into the town one of the current groups is hanging out, and here is where things start getting weird.

See, the GM has all these accounts where she portrays the user depicted in her RPs. Not sure if they were all the same person, but it's possible.

Anywho, the RP continues and eventually things slow down and I move on to other things. Then one day the GM calls me back in, and since I left things had gone full Mary Sue:
One of the already kinda pure protagonists had been magically transformed into a cute Korean girl, and the entire RP had screeched to a halt to focus on her exploits as a pop star. Also, my character, which I donated to her, is now her publicist, something completely unlike my original vision for him.

So I come back as a new character and a plot thread involving Team Magma gets set up. But of course she makes it all about herself and only pop star's voice can wake up Groudon. So my new char is posing as an audio technician at her concert and is about to get away with it when she sics her army of alternate accounts and overpowered pokemon on me to stop me by any means necessary. Using everything from literal DC supervillains out of nowhere to outright changing the truth about who is in possession of the recording, she tried to stop me, but eventually I escaped, and she just started guilt tripping me over it in her posts. Was about then I gave up on the RP. Little while later I heard she had a dispute that ended with her getting banned. A damn nuisance, she was.

I was in a group once, but the administrator posted events and plot drops all around her character, so it seemed that her character was the only one who mattered and everyone existed just to have her plots going. She also ended up trying to ship with three different peopple and have a messy love triangle, it was annoying and everyone was upset. Sadly, I was one of the people she tried to ship with, so it ruined the character for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back